Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs!

Get More: Awards, Golden Globes, Lists

By virtue of their insistence on lumping together supporting performances from comedies, dramas, miniseries and movies, the Golden Globes nominations are always an inherently snubby affair.

So, while the 2014 lineup has its fair share of happy surprises — Tatiana Maslany! Monica Potter! — there are still enough glaring insults to leave us scalding with rage. (“Umm, hello? Hollywood Foreign Press? Were you taking bathroom breaks every time Anna Gunn was on screen in Breaking Bad?”)

RELATED | Golden Globes: House of Cards, The Good Wife, Candelabra and Breaking Bad Lead Noms; See the Full List of TV Categories!

In that spirit, we’ve identified the 30 most boneheaded snubs of the 2014 nominations — from a Game of Thrones heartbreaker to Masters of Sex‘s breakout lady to Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s stoic anchor.

Click through the gallery below to help soothe your soul over these sins of omission, then hit the comments to tell us which snubs we snubbed as well. (Apologies in advance!)

Comments (122)

• Eden Sher!!!

Comment by Vlada – December 12, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Greg Jones!!!

Comment by Dave S. – December 12, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yessss

Comment by Katie – December 12, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and the show “The Middle” for best Comedy series. This show is seriously underrated. I just love thw whole Heck clan!

Comment by N0S4AT2 – December 12, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland is terrible this year. Nice to see the high-profile award shows acknowledging that.

Comment by Beth – December 12, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, this season just doesn’t live up to the first two and at least the awards shows aren’t just nominating it out of habit.

Comment by Emily – December 12, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Lewis did a fabulous job with Rehab Brody – but that was one episode. He hasn’t been on nearly enough to qualify as a lead this season. Patinkin and Danes both did credible work with what they were given, but neither rose to a level of, say Tatiana Maslany (which – YAY), nor did the show itself merit any kind of award, at least so far. (Can’t imagine the finale’s going to be much better – maybe they’ll prove me wrong, and I’ll be the first to be delighted if so.) This wasn’t a snub. It was a measured, rational, appropriate decision.

Comment by Annie – December 12, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This season of Homeland isn’t even worth the extra $$ I pay every month to have Showtime. Fortunately Masters of Sex has made up for that.

Comment by wrstlgirl – December 12, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can someone explain to me why Justified, SOA, Shameless and Southland (rip) are continually ignored?

Comment by knd – December 12, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because the people who make these decisions are one note wonders and nominate the same shows over and over again.

Comment by wrstlgirl – December 12, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Much better shows than Homeland this year. The Americans was terrific and its lead actors should have got a nod. No Anna Gunn nom is a travesty.

Comment by gregk – December 12, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me Homeland wasn’t snubbed at all. I love this show and it makes m

Comment by Martina – December 12, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Bellamy Young for Scandal. Really???

Comment by Anna – December 12, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right?!?!?

Comment by Sarah – December 12, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right? IMO, she´s much better actress than Kerry Washington:(

Comment by Lin – December 12, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …makes me angry that this season is so bad. If internet backlash wasn’t enough to realize that they’re doing it wrong, hopefully this’ll teach ‘em.

Comment by Martina – December 12, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with much of these. But I already have my top picks to root for in every category (except maybe comedy actor), so the only thing that I can really complain about is the supporting category that divides gender but not genres, so we have Sofia Vergara competing with all dramatic actresses (I think). As if.

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 12, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would add Christine Baranski, Taraji P. Henson, Carrie Preston, Margo Martindale, Maisie Williams as supporting actress snubs.

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 12, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I certainly agree with you on Taraji P.Hensen,she is wonderful!

Comment by Val – December 12, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was hoping to see Taraji too.

Comment by Ben – December 12, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree so much about Christine B. She’s the best thing about The Good Wife.

Comment by LizaJ – December 12, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I *cannot* understand the obsession with Bates Motel. That show is mediocre at best and it baffles me that nobody sees it. Same thing with The Walking Dead.

I do agree, however, that Lizzy Caplan should’ve been recognized. She’s absolutely amazing in MoS. And a nomination or two for The Americans would’ve been nice, as well.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – December 12, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sigh. I will never understand why Walking Dead gets no love! I’m sad Mindy Project got no recognition too. Maybe next year.

Comment by Babybop – December 12, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I love Adam Scott, I think Nick Offerman was even more of a snub.

Comment by MNBonnie – December 12, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I also don’t think this was even the best season for Scott’s character to be nominated.

Comment by KiP – December 12, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Perry is the only one that really feels like a snub. I love Keri Russell on The Americans but that category was just really competitive this year. Maybe she deserved it over Robin Wright but that’s the only substitution I’d make. Tatiana, Kerry, Taylor and Julianne are all very deserving.

Comment by dude – December 12, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Replace Kerry with Keri.

Comment by The Beach – December 12, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time! Grrrr!

Comment by Chaz – December 12, 2013 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not even for wonderland! ARGHhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment by Dave S. – December 12, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re both kidding, right?

Comment by Jeremy – December 12, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol ,I mean I hope they’re being ironic.

Comment by Sidney.B – December 12, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I love those shows but I’m no fool. I don’t care who else is a Supporting Drama Nominee, though, because Aaron Paul.

Comment by Nick – December 12, 2013 01:24 PM PDT
  • Emmy Rossum for shameless. Her courtroom speech last season was so powerful.

Comment by Beth – December 12, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Game of Thrones bugs me, but i’m just glad Tatiana and OITNB got recognition.

Comment by Emily – December 12, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeremy Renner got snubbed. He gave his character such heart in American Hustle.

Comment by John – December 12, 2013 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with most of your snubs, but two I feel are missing: Julianne Nicholson as Dr DePaul For supporting from Masters, and Alison Janney for supporting from Mom, she is just so hillarious!

Comment by DreamRose311 – December 12, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Considering how many more shows are on now adays than there used to be, seems like it’d be really nice to add a slot to ever category and DEFINITELY separate the supporting categorys into Comedy and Drama. Too much talent (which of course is a very good problem)

Comment by DreamRose311 – December 12, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree they need to separate the supporting categories. There are more supporting actors competing than lead. Think about it, most of every cast is supporting. The competition’s stiffer there even if they have drama and comedy categories to divide into. Lumping the movie/miniseries in there too is just unfair.

Comment by scooby – December 12, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE the show Mom. And Alison is the best part. Hard to believe she was the serious bad ass in West Wing.

Comment by Janice – December 12, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alison Janney is also amazing on Masters of Sex. She deserves an all-around “supporting actress” nomination!

Comment by yearonear – December 13, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m stunned Claire Danes is not on the list. Yes Homeland is BAD this season but she is still a huge standout. Other than that its a pretty good bunch of nominees. Grey’s has been snubbed again with Sara and Chandra imo deserving nods for the stunning work they’ve done but i knew it wouldn’t happen. A lot of things don’t get recognised these days with the awards how they are from so many shows. As for Bates Motel i don’t get it. IMO its not that great a show. I couldn’t get into it so its not a surprise omission for me. Emmy Rossum is another which deserved a nod. She’s great on Shameless. Oh well maybe next time.

Comment by greysfan – December 12, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh. I don’t watch a single show that you regard as having been snubbed, so I guess I can’t share your chagrin.

Comment by Stormy – December 12, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that Jeff Perry deserves to be nominated, best actor on scandal! And can someone tell me why Walking Dead is continuously ignored!

Comment by Abby – December 12, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like a broken record every year but seriously can SOA get some love?? It’s such an amazing show and cast and writing staff.

Comment by Shazha – December 12, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI: Your list would have a lot more credibility if you noted that that there is no split for comedy and drama in the supporting races. And because miniseries/movies are included too where there would be 15-18 nominations at Emmy, it goes down to 5 for the golden globes – so of course there is going to be a lot of snubs

Comment by Emily – December 12, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read the first sentence of the article?

Comment by Ivan B – December 12, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was 30 Rock ineligible? And if so, then why was it eligible for the SAGs?

Comment by Sammie – December 12, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no claire danes is a small price to pay for tatiana maslany.

Comment by collins – December 12, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy was definitely snubbed.

Comment by angelwings – December 12, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost forgot how awesome Jennifer Morgan was in Dexter for 8 seasons. Hope that she’ll get a new role soon.

Comment by Jeremy – December 12, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jennifer Carpenter you mean?

Comment by Shaun – December 12, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not sure if your snub list snubbed her or if its outside of eligibility, but i was hoping for a nod for abigail spencer and rectify

Comment by courtland – December 12, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, but nobody from the Office clone Modern Family was snubbed. Others are just as worthy and I’m sorry, but Corey Stroll and Aaron Paul deserve nominations before any of the Pritchett-Dunphy clan. Including Ty Burrell

Comment by Tom Charles – December 12, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly when is Lana Parrilla going to be recognised for her talent? Phenomenal actress!

Comment by Aimee – December 12, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is truly amazing how she portrays not only the distinctive personas of Regina but every shade in between. Sadly, neither she nor Robert Carlyle will ever get the recognition they deserve.

Comment by Jennifer – December 12, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Robert Carlyle was the first person that came to mind. He is so good he is mesmerizing. But because Once isn’t a big serious show he won’t get the recognition he deserves.

Comment by Deena – December 12, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it really is a shame that they put all the Supporting categories into a single big one. Way too many brilliant actors overlooked be c sadcause there were only five spots open, when the Main Actor categories have fifteen, Boo,

Comment by xomareen – December 12, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot believe GoT didn’t make the cut. The wedding of Tyrion and Sansa is probably one of the most nomination-worthy pieces of television in the past decade. The writing, the directing, the acting – all absolutely brilliant.

Comment by Walter – December 12, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously such a left out for Matthew and Keri .FX’s The Americans was the best new show last year ,imo.

Comment by Sidney.B – December 12, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I can only assume the judges are still upset about Felicity’s hair, there’s no other reason to leave it out

Comment by Katie – December 12, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely agree about SOA! The show, Katey Segal and Maggie Siff should have been nominated they are fantastic on that show! I don’t get why this show is continually snubbed by all the awards!

Comment by RIR – December 12, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Sarsgaard!

Comment by Mia – December 12, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy that James Spader was nominated but The Blacklist deserved a nom for best Drama.

Comment by Ava – December 12, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree that Spader should be nominated but overall the show is not drama award worthy. Nowhere near the superior quality of Breaking Bad for example.

Comment by gregk – December 12, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Made my heart sing when you mentioned Southland – that last season was off the charts good. Then I was reminded of my heartbreak that it’s gone. Sniff.

Comment by Amy – December 12, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy, Shameless, Episodes, and Lizzy Caplan were the biggest snubs for me.

Comment by erin – December 12, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME! NO CLAIRE DANES? NO HOMELAND? Claire in the second episode of this season is superb for only that episode she deserves any single award in the universe

Comment by Lorena – December 12, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Our household does not watch any of these shows, either. Vegas should have been on this list. We miss it.

Comment by prish – December 12, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE MINDY PROJECT!!!

Comment by Kelly – December 12, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact there are sooooo many snubs means there is a TON of great TV right now. Everyone should be really proud.

Comment by TL – December 12, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was a title article, somewhere, “The Golden Age of TV is now.” So true, lucky us, there is something for everyone!

Comment by prish – December 12, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vera is good on Bates, but how about Freddie Highmore? He is completely owning that role.

Comment by Timmah – December 12, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i genuinely shocked they’d give Masters of Sex drama series and lead actor noms without also including the lead actress… without Virginia Johnson none of those studies would have happened and without Lizzy Caplan it wouldn’t be as addictive as it is to watch. *i give up!*

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 12, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just when you think Jennifer Carpenter can’t hit it any further out of the park/universe, you are smacked in the face with the reality that she’s been getting snubbed for years and it wasn’t just going to stop now. how dare you entertain the hope that such an incredible performance be recognized by the same people that continually snub the likes of anna gunn and katey sagal.

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 12, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crazy Eyes!
    Nice to see Uzo Aduba’s nomination :)

Comment by Bianca – December 12, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What are talking about? This is a snubs list; Uzo wasn’t nominated.

Comment by Ron – December 12, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons of Anarchy was a huge snub. Katey Sagal and Maggie Siff were especially good this year. I think Katey won a GG for playing Gemma in season 1 but they both should have been recognized for this season!!

Comment by Megan – December 12, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Jennifer Carpenter made your list. This last season of Dexter was mostly awful, but she never was. The first three episodes provided some of the best work Jennifer has ever done on the show. It’s infuriating that she is always overlooked and that the horrible writing for the last half of the season has eliminated the chances of Dexter–and everyone on it– being nominated for anything for season 8.

Comment by Brigette – December 12, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taraji P. Henson and Kevin Chapman! After those last POI episodes, this was much deserved, but of course they were snubbed, POI never gets the love =(

Comment by Mai – December 12, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Mindy Project is a huge snub, but if Parks and Recreation got that spot, then I’m okay with it. I think The Mindy Project should be there instead of Modern Family, which hasn’t made me laugh in quite a while.

I also think every guy on Parks and Recreation was snubbed. I think Adam Scott is so fantastic, but Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman and Aziz Ansari deserved a spot in the Supporting Actor category.

Comment by Kyle – December 12, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Killing, Mireille Enos, Joel Kinnaman, Peter Sarsgaard…

Sad!

Comment by k. (@Kareen_T) – December 12, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m tired of Castle never getting any awards recognition. It’s a great show with a great cast. I think because it’s listed as a “Comedy Drama” they don’t know where to put it. But it needs some props. Especially Nathan and Stana!

Comment by Janice – December 12, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same thing happens on the movie side of the noms. Can anyone tell me how either Before Midnight or Nebraska got nominated under comedy or musical? Even Inside Lewyn Davis, while about a musician, is far from Comedy and not really a musical.

Comment by HAP – December 12, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! But I know it will never get recognition:(

Comment by Mary – December 12, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, but there could be 10 slots and Castle wouldn’t be considered. It’s just not that good.

Comment by Liam – December 13, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoever made these decisions, The Rains of Castamere is being played for you.

Comment by Joey – December 12, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Throw them a Red Wedding Already! Not nominating the actress playing Momma Stark is utter disrespect to the amazing portrayal that made me yell at the TV Screen literally (and that has only happened like twice in my television viewing history!)

Comment by trainwreck – December 12, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post