Golden Globes: House of Cards, The Good Wife, Candelabra and Breaking Bad Lead Noms; Parks & Rec, Brooklyn, Spader and Maslany Score Nods

Golden Globe Nominations 2014Nominations for the 71st annual Golden Globe Awards were announced Thursday morning in Beverly Hills, and Netflix’s House of Cards and HBO’s Behind the Candelabra led the TV pack with four nods each.

On the drama side, The Good Wife, Breaking Bad, The White Queen and Dancing on the Edge followed with three noms apiece.

Among comedies, NBC’s always underrated Parks and Recreation and Fox freshman Brooklyn Nine-Nine each netted multiple nods.

PHOTOS | Golden Globe Nominations 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs

The Globes will be held Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014 in Beverly Hills, broadcast on NBC and hosted for a second time by the outstanding one-two punch of Tina Fey (30 Rock) and Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation). As with this week’s Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, the eligibility period was the 2013 calendar year.

Review this complete list of TV’s nominees, then share your raves and rants in the Comments.

• DRAMA SERIES

• DRAMA – ACTRESS
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Taylor Schilling, Orange Is the New Black
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House of Cards

RELATED | SAG Award Nominations: Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory and 30 Rock Lead the Pack, Orange Is the New Black and Mad Men Get Shut Out

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES

• COMEDY OR MUSICAL SERIES – ACTRESS
Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

RELATED | Writers Guild Awards Nominations: Breaking Bad, Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards Lead Noms

• TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES

• SERIES, TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES – SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge
Janet McTeer, The White Queen
Hayden Panettiere, Nashville
Monica Potter, Parenthood
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Visit our sister site Deadline for a complete list of motion-picture nominations.

1. At least the HFPA waited until the very first category to tick me off *shakes head*. Rachel Nichols >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>flavor of the month Tatiana Maslany. Congrats to Don Cheadle and House of Lies representin’ again. That’s about it. Asterisk city in Drama Series since none of them are facing Continuum.

2. The Good Wife!!! <3 I'm so happy about this list! I'm glad that Homeland was left out, so many better shows this year!
    My only complaint is that Lizzy Caplan was not nominated…

3. Nichole says:

While I have loved watching Breaking Bad all these years, I really don’t understand the constant awards love for it, yes it’s very good, but how about giving some of the other shows/actors out there a chance. Rather then Bryan Cranstan and Aaron Paul nominated again for doing pretty much the same thing as the last season or two, I would have preferred to see Dean Norris and Anna Gunn nominated, their performances this last season where out of this world, especially Dean Norris with Hanks reaction to realising that his nemesis for all those years was his own brother in law, literally right under his nose.

4. Kristen says:

Maggie Siff killed it this whole season of SOA. I’m so disappointed that she was not nominated.

5. Babybop says:

My only complaint is that Mindy Project didn’t get any love. But Parks and Rec NEEDs to win. It’s about time this show got some recognition.

6. shari says:

What ..no Mariska Hargitay.. At least just the Season Opener for this year. was an awesome performance.

7. Kre says:

YES! Parks and Rec getting some love.

8. Aimee says:

This is why I love the Golden Globes. They don’t follow the crowd and always nominate the same stuff over and over. Yes, they get a few wrong, but they also always get a few right and help recognize some well deserving shows or actors that usually get ignored. Yay for Mislany and Schilling!!!

9. No Lizzy Caplan?….NO LIZZY CAPLAN?????

10. K says:

Both Lizzy Caplan for Masters of Sex and Vera Farmiga for Bates Motel being omitted from Best Actress means the Golden Globes got it WRONG

11. Ron says:

I wasn’t necessarily pulling for her to win, but I am truly astounded that Claire Danes didn’t score a nomination. Looking at the drama actress category, Julianna has been phenomenal and that nomination is well deserved. It seems to be Kerry’s year (not necessarily to win, just in general), and she nabbed an Emmy and SAG nomination, so no shock with her GG nomination. The HFPA loves movie stars, so also not shocked about Robin’s nomination for her really good role in HoC. I expected either Taylor or Tatiana to get a nomination because the HFPA, along with loving movie stars, loves shiny, new things. So I had an inclination that one or the other would get nominated. I was leaning toward Tatiana because of the hoopla about OITNB being more a comedy. But I guess the HFPA went with both, which leaves no room for Claire.

• Kelly says:

Claire Daines is imo the most talented actress on tv, she does amazing work on Homeland. The fact that she is consistently recognized (and wins) other awards just shows the Globes are a bit of a lesser award.

• Ron says:

Like I said, I wouldn’t have necessarily been pulling for her to win, but there’s no denying the work she does on Homeland is brilliant, which is why I was shocked. But I was even more shocked because I’m pretty sure she won the Golden Globe last year in the Drama Actress category. To go from winning to not even being nominated for a role that didn’t really dive in quality over the year is shocking. Like I said, the HFPA can get distracted with shiny, new things — in this case, it was Taylor Schilling. But all-in-all, I’m actually kinda happy with the nominations. I would say Claire was a definite snub, but I like that the love got spread around a little more than at other award shows. Super excited for Parks and Rec!!!!

• Carmen says:

Claires should definitely have been nominated instead of Kerry Washington. I don’t think if this season she was the best actress of all but she should have been nominated at least, I’m really surprised she’s not. Tatiana Maslany is great and deserved the nomination but I believe that this season especially, Julianna Margulies is simply mind-blowing and I want her to win.

12. Courtney says:

Modern Family has gotten awful compared to The Middle. Disappointing every year = ( .

13. C says:

All the ladies in Orange is the New Black should’ve been nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Series.

• Ron says:

The show’s mistake was submitting as Drama and not Comedy. OITNB is a really good show, but truthfully it ranks lower on the scale when compared to dramas instead of comedies. After only receiving 1 nomination for the GGs and 0 nominations for the SAGs, come Emmy time in September, I’ll bet you anything the show changes it’s tune and submits as Comedy.

14. polky17 says:

Yayyy Monica potter! !!

15. schu says:

Monica Potter FTW!!! So excited for her! I hope that means some other Phood cast members will get to attend the ceremony! And props to Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I was never an Andy Samberg fan before, but he’s got a great show there!

16. My very favorite actor is David James Elliott from JAG. I would like to know why we never see him in a really good role. He is a very talented actor and the ptb seem to forget that. PLEASE someone, he has a great following of fans and we would really like to see him in a good show! There are few shows I will spend time watching, but if David stars in one, you can be sure I and many of his fans will watch. Ratings would go up.

17. MrMank says:

Still hate those all-inclusive Supporting Actor/Actress categories, but I have little to complain about this year. Aaron Paul, Josh Charles, and Monica Potter all made the cut, and that’s awesome. There should be room for Mandy Patinkin, though. He is killing it this season.

18. Steven says:

Happy about Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks and Rec, Tatiana Maslany, all the Good Wife love. Really nothing was snubbed, IMO. Very good nominations all around!

19. Small Screen Girl says:

And ‘The Mindy Project’ gets snubbed again.

20. Allison P says:

So happy for Masters of Sex, Monica Potter, and The White Queen!

21. Kelly says:

How do you not nominate Claire Daines? Or Homeland/Game of Thrones/Mad Men. Globes are always weak, but it seems like this year is worse than usual. Pleased for Tatiana and Parks and Rec, but the rest…ehh

And when is the Downton Abbey obsession going to end?? It had ONE good season! Its more ridiculous than Greys Anatomy now and has the worst storylines.

• Sarah says:

Drama Actress was full of snubs this time around, I actually no surprised about Claire Danes. And have you ever watched a Downton Abbey??? It’s an amazing ensemble and they truly do deserve recognition.

22. kate says:

Finally some love for Parenthood, Monica Porter is wonderful so excited!

23. Josh says:

Well I’m pretty happy with the noms save for no Game of Thrones….They had one of the biggest moments on TV this seaso..

24. CourtTV says:

I enjoyed The White Queen but it really shouldn’t have been nominated. Hannibal was much better.

25. Sarah says:

WHOA SNUBS!!! No nomination for Anna Gunn, even after the Emmy win??? No Scandal or The Blacklist for Best Drama series, no nominations for the amazing Jeff Perry or Bellamy Young!?!

• bk says:

The Blacklist and Scandal over Game of Thrones,SOA and Orange is the New Black hell no! Crappy broadcast dramas dont deserve nominations

26. kyle says:

No love for glee? While the show has definitely stumbled, Lea and Chris moved me to tears during ‘The Quarterback,’ and don’t even get me started on Mike O’Malley and Romy Rosemont’s performances in that episode.

27. Where the heck is Simon Baker for the Mentalist “Red John” epi??? Can’t believe it, always the same people and shows that get nominated – I’m bored…

28. Natalie says:

Poehler FTW!!!! Seriously, it’s overdue already!

29. Pretty pathetic. Most people can’t watch any of these… what’s the point of watching awards when you have no one to root for? SOA and The Walking Dead should have been nominated, this season was literally killer for both! :(

30. Chantel says:

How did sons of anarchy nor any of its actors not get nominated that’s crazy

31. ggny says:

Orange is the new Black really messed up by submitting it self as Drama. The show would have swept the Comedy section

32. dragons3 says:

Some REALLY bad shows/performances nominated here. Andy Samberg? Brooklyn Nine- Nine? Sophia Vergara?

33. CJ says:

OMG – there are some WONDERFUL surprises on here. I love seeing Monica Potter, Tatiana Maslany, Amy Poehler & Parks, Andy Samberg & Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Taylor Schilling, Corey Stoll…oh man. There are still some very deserving people left out (as usual) and some carryover noms that aren’t really deserved, but overall, this is a much more satisfying list than usual.

34. Dee Kottkamp says:

I really really want Amy Poehler to win and I really really hope Julia Louis Dreyfus does not!

35. chester says:

Why do the actress nominations always come after the actor nominations. Maybe you could make a statement and switch them around once in a while.

36. nate says:

COME ON MONICA POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Kristin says:

The fact that the Walking Dead, the most watched show on television, with one of the most talented casts I’ve ever had the pleasure to watch, has never been nominated for ANYTHING, is utterly ridiculous.

38. Kristin says:

Lizzy Caplan? Alison Janey? Jeff Daniels? Homeland at all? SOA? GOT?

39. Kristin says:

I love OUAT and I feel like the ensemble cast is outstanding. The Golden Globes don’t take genre shows very seriously, do they, as evidenced by the lack of nods for The Walking Dead and others.

40. Ben says:

I know The Good Wife doesn’t stand a chance against Breaking Bad, but I’d really like it to win.This is the best show on television.
    But I’m glad it gets a nomination at least.

41. Emilia says:

Where are the nominations for the outstanding cast of Sons of Anarchy? Will they ever be recognized?!

42. webly3 says:

These nominations are amazing. Amy! Brooklyn! Kerry! Tatiana! Monica! Practically all new drama lead male category! :

43. Joey says:

And who are you, the proud lord said,
    that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat,
    that’s all the truth I know.
    In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
    a lion still has claws,
    And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
    as long and sharp as yours.
    And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
    that lord of Castamere,
    But now the rains weep o’er his hall,
    with no one there to hear.
    Yes now the rains weep o’er his hall,
    and not a soul to hear.

44. Ray says:

I’ll say it, because surely others are thinking it. Michael J. Fox is a pity nomination, plain and simple. He’s not really deserving of best actor in comedy for his current work.

45. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Congratulations to you, Monica!!! :) So happy to see Parenthood, and the wonderful Monica Potter, getting some recognition… F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!! Regardless of whether you ‘win or lose’ during the ceremony, enjoy the awards show that night, Monica – you’ve earned it! :)

46. Shara says:

Congratulations James Spader! Love him, he’s sooooooo talented. Also happy for Kerry Washington! Good luck to both!

47. DavidSask says:

Tatiana Mosley, Hayden deserve to win! OITNB deserved more nominations!

48. Carmen says:

I really want Julianna Margulies to win best actress in drama series. She’s always amazing but this season especially, she’s totally badass! I’d be almost as happy if Tatiana Maslany won instead, but I’m rooting a bit more for Julianna cause she always manages to move me emotionally in many scenes, Tatiana not so much. I don’t get why Kerry Washington is even nominated, she’s such an overrated, mediocre actress, at best, when compared to Vera Farmiga, Claire Danes etc., who could have been on the list instead of her. I wish Viola Davis played Olivia Pope instead of Kerry Washington.

Also, I don’t know if Golden Globes could nominate actors/actresses from series from other countries, but if they could, Sidse Babbett Knudsen from “Borgen” should have been on the list of best lead drama actress as well as Olivia Colman from Broadchurch on the “Miniseries” category.

• Mary says:

Agree with you about Kerry Washington…the simple fact that she gets a nomination will always be beyond me!

• Ally_D says:

I agree that both Sidse and Olivia are outstanding. Perhaps they’ll get nominations at the international Emmys? Certainly at the BAFTAs they should both get recognition (the BAFTAs has an international cateogry)

• Victor says:

The TV BAFTAs doesn’t have an international category, it only has ONE international award (non-British actors, series etc aren’t eligible in the TV awards.

49. bobbie says:

Jon Voight – hands down, absolutely amazing, Kevin Spacey! though Liev Schrieber is no slouch, Amy Poehler or Julia Louis-Dreyfus, How can you pick one over the other?
    The Good Wife and Julia Margulies really are the best!!! Al Pacino and Helen Mirren. All the best! the very best.

50. Dot says:

Parks and rec and amy poehler are nom!!!!! & shes hosting am just like begin the countdown!!!!