Reign's Adelaide Kane Dishes on Mary and Francis (Did They?), Painful Prophecy Fallout

Reign Season 1 Spoilers Adelaide KaneWe know we should be very concerned that, in this week’s fall finale of Reign, Mary finally learns about Nostradamus’ chilling prophecy.

And we are.

But there’s just a little bit of bump-’n’-grind business left over from last episode, and happens to be overshadowing even the mystic’s ominous forecast of death in the palace: Did Mary and Francis actually have sex?

As fans of the CW period drama know, there’s no such thing as a causal roll in the hay for the teen queen. While her betrothed is able to do as he pleases, her much touted “virtue” is the key to their countries’ alliance and a measure of her worth as a suitable wife. Could Francis’ gallantry in ending the castle’s siege have trumped it all?

Read on for star Adelaide Kane‘s thoughts on the matter, as well as for a preview of how Thursday’s hour (9/8c) will unfold.

RELATEDReign Casts Amy Brenneman as Mary’s Mother

TVLINE | In the last episode, at the very end, Mary climbed into bed with Francis?! I was shocked.
[Laughs] I think a lot of people were. On Tumblr, on Twitter, all of the sites, fans had really mixed reactions… With something like that, that’s so important… you want to share that with somebody special and you want to be with someone who loves just you .You want it to be meaningful. [After the end of the siege,] in the heat of the moment, she went to him and thought, “If I can have this one thing, I would want to give it to you out of anybody else.” But it still remains debatable if they… They were mackin’, but you never know.

Reign Season 1 Spoilers Adelaide KaneTVLINE Will we find out in this next episode, what happened?
Yes, you will. Remember, they’ve been intimate before without crossing that final boundary.

TVLINE | In this episode, Mary finds out about Nostradamus’ prediction of death in the castle. How does she react?
It slowly dawns on her that perhaps Nostradamus’ predictions are correct. And then it’s a question of: Does she take what she wants and marry the man that she loves? Or does she continue to seek desperately for another option to spare him his life? It’s an incredibly hard decision.

TVLINE Mary is always put in these positions with impossible outcomes.
Rock and a hard place. [Laughs] She’s just treading water all the time. Just when she thinks she’s in the clear, something else comes out of the blue, and she’s just managing the best that she can. She’s not a political creature, so she’s definitely learning as she goes.

RELATED | The CW Picks Up Reign and Two Other Freshman Shows for Full Seasons

TVLINE | Last week, Mary learned a bit about what Catherine went through as a young woman. It seems like there’s a bit more respect between them now.
Mary has a better understanding of Queen Catherine and what made her the woman she is today, the calculating woman that she is, what motivates her. Catherine’s life is about her children. Her children are her love, her life. She has learned not to trust anything else other than her own power. And she has invested all of her power, all of her love in protecting her children.

[When the prophecy is revealed,] I think she also starts to understand Catherine’s motivation. She might not like it – she’s almost had her killed half a dozen times – but she gets it, almost against her will. I think it would be easy for Mary to write Queen Catherine off as a villain, but she isn’t; she’s so much more than that. And if Mary is anything, she is fair. She will see all sides of the story and make a judgment.

Reign Season 1 Spoilers Adelaide Kane TVLINE | Elsewhere in the episode, it seems like Kenna has set up an interesting position for herself.
She has.

TVLINE | She and Catherine are colluding against Diane.
[Kenna is] dabbling in politics as well, albeit somewhat clumsily. She’s decided to stick her nose in other people’s business and has discovered Diane’s plotting, and sells Diane out to Catherine.

TVLINE | It’s interesting that you say she’s somewhat clumsy about what she’s doing – Mary doesn’t have much practice in politics, but it seems to me that Kenna knows even less.
I would say Kenna knows more than Mary does in that she’s grown up in court, but I see Kenna that she was maybe a little spoiled as a child. She’s a beautiful lady that grew up in the Scottish court and she knows the rules of that court, but the French court is quite different.

TVLINE | We haven’t mentioned Bash yet in this conversation, but I can’t imagine he’s far from Francis and Mary’s drama in this episode.
Of course. Bash is always there on the sidelines. That ties in a lot with Diane’s plotting. Sebastian is fiercely loyal to his family, his father and his brother. He comes to a crossroads where he has to make a decision about what’s more important to him… We’ll see it play out over the next episode or two.

RELATEDReign‘s Megan Follows on Chances of ‘Snuggles’ for Queen Catherine

TVLINE | Finally, Clarissa…
Dude, everybody loves Clarissa.

TVLINE She’s your friend in the walls!
Fans freaking love her… She’s super cool. You will get to know more about her backstory as the season progresses… The good thing about Clarissa, the interesting thing is that her motivation is completely her own. She’s not driven by politics, she’s not driven by love. She has her own moral code and her own set of reasons for doing what she does. And those will unfold throughout the season. She’s one of those characters who’s beholden to no one and has a lot of freedom, and as a result is incredibly dangerous.

Comments (27)

• I’m really into Reign. Each episode keeps getting better!

Comment by Holly – December 11, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, TVLine, for featuring Reign! This is, in my opinion, the best new television series of the season (yes, this includes The Blacklist). I think it has been fiercely underrated and I hope it pulls a larger audience when the series returns!

Comment by Khs – December 11, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I’ve really liked this show.

Comment by r moo – December 11, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everything you said times two

Comment by Brandy – December 11, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think mary could possibly be pregnant would make it interesting for sure as she now knows the prediction what would she do and katherine would have to accept mary then i dont think shes a danger to francis i think his love for her puts him in danger cause he will always protect mary

Comment by jacqueline – December 11, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely NO! There is another couple that still needs a chance to happen. Not everything should be about boring fary.

Comment by Mercy – December 12, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you!!! I don’t think Mary would be the reas

Comment by Ashley – December 13, 2013 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (My dumb phone) anyway, I don’t think Mary would be the cause of Frances’ death. If anything not being with her is what’s causing all the issues. As you can see by the prophecy he wasn’t actually dying (when it came true). At first I thought okay maybe Bash should be legitimized and they go rule in Scotland together (when we though Frances was in love with Olivia. But now that we know where his heart truly lies I’m rooting for him and Mary. Maybe she will turn up pregnant and once she has her freak out everything will be good

Comment by Ashley – December 13, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And listening to Adelaide talk about everything, she’s so well-spoken and thoughtful, it gave me the giddies. And she’s so perfect and brilliant as Mary.

God, I really really do love this show.

Comment by Ian – December 11, 2013 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show, I’m glad tv line is covering, the critics were not very hopeful about this show but IMO it’s one of the best this season

Comment by Pati – December 11, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for this! Reign is definitely my favorite new show this season and right now it might by my favorite show PERIOD. I can’t get enough!

Comment by ninergrl6 – December 11, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I l

Comment by Ally Oop – December 11, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. Such a guilty pleasure. I wonder how the writers can sustain the story throughout 22 episodes. Originally there was only supposed to be a 13 episode season. I would love to be a fly on the wall of the writers room.

Comment by Ally Oop – December 11, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Reign! I just hope they keep the time slot.
    Great acting and the casting is one of the BEST.

Comment by Sandra Kay Sharpe – December 13, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!!!! I’m a huge Vampire Diaries fan and was looking forward to The Originals but I have to say although Originals is good Reign beats it!!! Absolutely love it!

Comment by Tina – December 13, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you. I am obsessed with Reign. It is easily my new favorite show and Adelaide Kane is absolutely perfect. Definitely rooting for Frary but Bash is still super hot.

Comment by Jennifer – December 15, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show!! Im routing for francis & mary to be together. Maybe the prophecy was interpreted wrong. Obviously Clarissa set it all off. I cant wait to know more bout her. Im hoping mary will realize how stupid she is for leaving love. Its going to drive me crazy having to wait so long for the next episode!

Comment by Briggy – December 14, 2013 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love this show! My fave since Tudors. Not usually into shows on CW but this is easily in my top 3 right now!!!

Comment by Shoshauney – December 15, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am completely obsessed with this show! The romance between Mary and Francis is pulling at my heart strings like crazy! I am sad that they are going to make it into a love triangle. The chemistry between Mary and Francis is unbelievable! Most kissing and romantic scenes can be a little uncomfortable to watch especially when there is no chemistry. Their kisses, hugs, holding hands…everything keeps me eyes glued to the screen. It is completely enthralling! Please come back and give me more Francis and Mary scenes!

Comment by Beth – December 16, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not really have “shows” that i watch on the regular, but Reign OOOOOHHH I’m addicted. I hate that I have to wait until January to watch it again. Great job CW on this one. Mary and Francis have to marry. I think I will just die if they don’t. Love it Love it Love it!

Comment by Stephanie Evans – December 16, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show. I am a huge vampire diaries fan, but ever since reign came on, I’ve found myself more anxious to watch reign. I hope Mary and Francis end up marrying and happy. I hope the CW writers don’t get too tangled up in the two brothers and Mary love triangle, like they already did that in the vampire diaries, which sort of got annoying, kinda the reason why im not such a fan of the vampire diaries anymore. No more ridiculous love triangles within two brothers please! Bash is a great guy, but not for Mary. I would love to see Bash and Lola get involved in a relationship instead. Plus I like seeing Francis and Bash getting along and working together, like they did in the first few episodes. I hope in the recent events with Mary freaking out and running off, it doesn’t completely mess things up between her and Francis. Who knows, maybe she does end up being pregnant with francis’s baby. Seeing them together gets me all happy and giddy, and so eager to watch this show. They have a really good on screen chemistry. I hope the prophecy changes and they end up together, happy, and with children, ruling together over their countries.

Comment by Cece – December 17, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t start watching reign until after the break On Demand. Honestly I have watched the fall finale 5 times! I have even bought a book to gain more historical insight. According to what I have learned Francis and Mary do wed but have a childless marriage and albeit a brief one; as Francis dies before their 3rd anniversary. Since this is historical fiction the writers can do what they will,and I am wondering if Francis did impregnate Mary prior to her riding off with Bash. When she does come back, since talk of the triangle, will the child’s father be in question? I am for Francis and Mary. Their live in this show is the live of those fairytales we woman had as children. I hope the show is on for several seasons. Also, anyone else seeing how awesome Queen Catherine is portrayed by Anne of Green Gables?! My 10 year-old is watching Megan Follows as Anne now, and when I showed her pirtraying Queen Cather she could not believe how little the actress has changed with age. I must say I agree. The cast is awesome with a lit of talent.I too love the vampire diaries and the originals, bit Reign is truly my favorite show.

Comment by coley79 – January 12, 2014 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry that should say love not live..darned smartphone! Lol. :) I truly hope this truly excellent show is not cancelled like the secret circle; of which I still am upset about. Being a busy mom, pediateic RN, and obtaining my Master’s of Science in Nursing with an Education certifucation, these shiws allow me relaxing entertainment.

Comment by coley79 – January 12, 2014 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that Bash and Francis is fighting. I no that Francis is suppose to marry Mary,but she seems to have better chemistry with Bash. Whether fans want to admit it Mary seems to be drawn to Bash. She seems to confide in Bash more than Francis. I really do like this show. Keep up the good work.

Comment by anita fields – January 24, 2014 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obsessed my favorite show hands down!

Comment by kimberly, – February 2, 2014 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say reign is the best TV show by far. It always keeps me on the edge of my seat. But Mary getting pregnant with Francis child would defiantly make things a little more on edge.I I like the chemistry of Mary and Francis so good together. I cab see something between bash an Mary but nothing compared to Mary and Francis.some of it is based on history bit it is a TV show and they could do anything with the show cause it is also fiction I can’t wait to see the next episodes I am not liking this two week break and I kinda miss see Francis on the show too

Comment by kristen – February 6, 2014 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is a very wonderful series.I wonder if fransis and mary will get back together

Comment by Abubakar – April 15, 2014 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post