Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Slips to New Low, Chicago Fire Hits a High, Victoria's Secret Tops Tuesday

Ratings Agents of SHIELDABC’s cliffhanger-filled Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this Tuesday slipped to a new series low, drawing 6.1 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, per finals — down 12 percent opposite a fresh episode of NCIS.

Leading out of that, The Goldbergs‘ own fall finale did 4.8 mil and a 1.6, adding a few eyeballs and two tenths in the demo. Trophy Wife meanwhile held steady at 3.5 mil/1.2.

CBS’ aforementioned NCIS (19.3 mil/2.9) ticked down a tenth from its last fresh outing, while NCIS: LA (15.2 mil/2.4) was flat. The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show topped all of Tuesday in the demo with a 3.4 rating (down two tenths versus a year ago) while drawing its third largest audience ever (9.7 mil).

Over on NBC, The Biggest Loser (6.2 mil/1.9) shed two tenths, while The Voice (11.2/3.1) lowered three tenths. Chicago Fire capped the Peacock’s night with 9.3 million total viewers (a series high) and a 2.2 rating (dipping a tenth).

Fox’s presentation of the American Country Awards exactly matched last year’s 5.1 mil/1.4.

1. George Kon says:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D …… Sucks…..

• Dani says:

Yes, it’s does. Hopefully it will be gone and forgotten by the end of the season.

• D says:

No it doesn’t, it’s ok, not great and could be much better. now Glee is a show that sucks and has sucked for awhile. The problem with Shield is that the action isn’t great and a couple of the characters aren’t that interesting, They need to retool the cast and bring ina real bad guy group from the comics, Like Hammer, Hydra, AIM, the Hand, i’d even take the Secret Empire. the show still has potential.

• Mikael says:

I think Marvel will see their mistake once the Netflix series (Daredevil, etc.) get better ratings than SHIELD. Fans don’t want to see no-names going after different people every week. They want established characters and a serialized plot. They could have used HYDRA, Strucker, Madame Hydra, etc. as big villains, and used Quartermaine, Spider-Woman, Mockingbird, etc. as SHIELD agents. As much as I want to love this show, it’s really just only ok.

2. ABC should consider moving SHIELD to 9/8…

3. Esaul says:

I rest my case with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• ben says:

Your case was that it didn’t have cross-over with NCIS viewers, wasn’t it? How is your case rested?

• Esaul says:

I’ve talked about the decline in S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ratings for quite some time. I also talked about how the uptick for the show wasn’t that impressive. If it was then in theory the ratings shouldn’t have plummeted as much as they did this week. My point from the start that the show is considerably a failure. ABC should never put the show as a lead-in to an all new Tuesday night. I apologize for surmising every single point I’ve made since week two/three of S.H.I.E.L.D.

4. Dani says:

trophy wife is sooooo good, this week’s ep was hilarious! super underrated. this show belongs on wednesdays, it would really benefit from a modern family lead-in… too bad it’s probably not gonna get picked up for a new season :( happy we at least get a full season though!

5. Eli says:

Sigh, America still loves crap…

6. John says:

ABC should move Agents of SHIELD to another night. Putting it up against NCIS is suicide.

• Jane says:

Agree. It really has gotten better but I’m afraid it will get canceled if they don’t move it.

• Esaul says:

I don’t think they’ll cancel S.H.I.E.L.D. as long as they don’t fall below 2.0 and don’t do it often. Disney owns Marvel, and that has some leeway I would imagine for the show. It’ll get renewed and probably retooled. If this were any other network, or if Marvel/Disney weren’t a factor, I’d consider it cancelled.

• Christina says:

It’s been mediocre so far (with a few shining moments), which just isn’t enough to stand up to NCIS. I’m worried they’ll cancel too.

• Agreed! It’s a great show and they seem to be setting it up to fail. They don’t promote it the way it should be and then put it up against a proven ratings winner. Smarten up, ABC.

• DreamRose311 says:

I think knowing what a ratings juggernaut it is up against will help SHIELD in abc’s decisions… I don’t really think ABC has anything else they could put in that slot that would do better… maybe Scandal, but there’s no way it could be on at 8pm…

• Esaul says:

I think they should’ve tested the idea of Tuesday night during the last season. Sure S.H.I.E.L.D. looked great at the start, but it’s not stable to give the other shows that follow stability. I think they should’ve at least had a veteran show somewhere on Tuesday night, not necessarily at 8 PM since nothing they have really works at that hour.

• Honestly, I doubt it is ABC’s decision. It isn’t like other TV shows that are in their own little bubble. It is part of the Marvel universe and it is probably evaluated on how several factors beyond a simple “what are the ratings?” Marvel wants to create a universe with TV shows, movies, web, games. It is an add-on to the Movies where the majority of the money is.

7. Eric7740 says:

SHIELD’s ship has sailed!!!

8. Spandex says:

The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife should have moved to Wednesdays, those are two promising sitcoms with lots of potential… they were both a hoot last night, especially Trophy Wife…best new sitcom that no one is watching. What does the network do instead? They decide to slot a weak returning, budget-cut sitcom and a Ryan Seacrest produced Friends/Valentine’s Day/24 hybrid-clone…I can see total success for them come spring. :P

9. HeatherC says:

Glad to see Trophy Wife and The Goldburgs getting some love here in the comments! I wasn’t planning on watching either show but caught them both by accident early in the season and now I watch them every week. Trophy Wife’s hangover Christmas was SO funny! I’m hoping the network keeps them next year and moves them to better slots so they can grown their audiences more but at the very least, I’m glad we get a full season this year. Happy to see Chicago Fire have a good ratings night last night too. That was some tough competition from CBS but CF held up pretty well. =)

10. What if Darcy from the Thor movies showed up on Agents of SHIELD? That could be fun.

11. John 1138 says:

People who caught NCIS despite the holiday scheduling chaos, got a treat IMHO, lots of funny stuff and this lighter approach is a welcome trend. Whatever it’s ultimate source, reaction to a too dark previous season or what.

12. Lorena says:

2 things are not in favor of SHIELD, first this May and Ward relation, agh i dont like it a little, second NCIS and Bishop, and besides, yesterday episode was hilarious with Fornell, Diane and Gibbs you know is gonna be an awesome episode!

13. S.H.I.E.L.D would do SO much better, with all the Whedonites out there, but NOT against NCIS. Whose brilliant idea was that?? It needs a time/day change. NCIS was hysterical last night. Loved it. In 10 seasons, it’s still got it. And Eli, yes, America does love crap. So sad.

• canadian ninja says:

Yeah, they thought they’d have a demo monster that would cut into NCIS’s older audience but they didn’t watch the show and see what they had. A very slow developing character comedy/drama with limited/nothing new action. Plus they completely hamstrung the show by refusing to let there be name heroes in the cast.

14. wrstlgirl says:

Shield was awful. I forced myself to sit through it. At this point I’m still not invested in any of these characters. Of the entire first half only two episodes were good all the way through.

On a much higher note, Chicago Fire was awesome :-) I just wish NBC hadn’t given away to much in their preview last week. Kind of made the cliffhanger anticlimactic because we already knew what was coming.

• Elyse says:

as per usual I agree with your entire comment! although I stopped watching SHIELD after 4 or 5 episodes which is more than I give a lot of shows. ChiFi was beyond awesome last night but I agree the preview made the end not shocking at all.

• wrstlgirl says:

I have no clue why I’m still watching. It’s painful. I must have done something horrible in my previous life to purposely expose myself to this crap, lol :-) :-)

• Kristina says:

I did too. I really, really wanted to like it. But whoever was in charge of casting really dropped the ball on this one. They don’t have any chemistry and most of them aren’t interesting; a couple are downright irritating. I’m very surprised and disappointed a Whedon & Co show is this bad :(

15. Drew says:

I don’t think that moving SHIELD to another night is going to do anything to help it. Based on what I’ve seen, the people who should like this show (Whedon fans, comic book fans, young men) simply do not like it. They don’t like it on Tuesday night and they wouldn’t like it on Wednesday night. You can’t blame NCIS for SHIELD losing its target audience. I should be all over this show and I hate NCIS, so why are people like me not liking SHIELD?
    Arrow is not a highly rated show by any means, but the general opinion of the show is positive. It isn’t a joke amongst its target audience members the way SHIELD is. And until that changes, it won’t matter where you schedule the show.

Bad writing. Poor production quality. Poor casting… then again, NCIS has all of those problems and they’re doing okay. Maybe I need to think about this some more.

• N tTVf says:

Once (if) SHIELD hits bottom with their ratings, then ABC can, and will, make some decisions about SHIELD’s future. We don’t yet know how much further this shows’ ratings will fall. Right now, it could go either way. If the ratings continue to fall and we see 5.0m/1.5 week in, week out, it’s over. I agree, moving SHIELD to another night won’t help – too late. It may not have mattered anyway; the core audience continues to erode week after week – no hope.

In another couple of months, pilot season will start up, and ABC will be able to start looking at what other new alternatives are in the pipeline. If they don’t have anything better, SHIELD may well come back for a season 2, albeit, probably with a new show-runner to help keep costs in line (similar to Nashville in S2). If the trade off between cost cutting and gutting the core of the show is too great, then the SHIELD producers/Joss may feel it best to pull the plug in May, and that will be that.

My personal opinion – and I know this hurts a bit and I hate to say it, but I’m not wild about the cast – sometimes a cast can help make a subpar show hang on a bit until storylines can be re-tooled, scripts improved, etc. This show does not have the cast to help buy the show time. I like Bennet and Gregg, and I’m sure everyone has their favorite. But it’s not enough to save this show, and stunt casting alone won’t help either. CS is not going to be able to come in next season – she’s got other priorities she has to focus on.

If ABC has a strong, or what they believe is a strong, [do Paul and co. ever think otherwise?] pilot season this coming spring, it’s over for SHIELD in May.

• Drew says:

Agreed. And the relationship between May and what’s his name just highlights the lack of chemistry in this cast. If one or two died would the audience even notice?

Next year’s premiere should involve this team being slaughtered and a new kick-ass team being brought in… and a new show runner. Maybe move production out of LA which tends to look too fake on TV for some reason. You’d think they’d have the best production quality there.

16. Liz says:

Why isn’t more of a The Goldberg’s audience sticking around for Trophy Wife? Both shows are hilarious!

17. Last night explains the problem with SHIELD. Marvel and Disney have painted this show into a creative corner. I’m a DC guy admittedly, and as I was watching I was thinking “Justice League would get this wrapped up in 45 minutes” And then jumping back into the proper universe, I thought “The Avengers would wrap this up in 45 minutes”

You can’t have these massive criminal organizations and send little fish to fight them. You exist in a universe with super heroes; send the super heroes.

This show would work better if it took place in a reality without superheroes.

18. Shaun says:

Chicago Fire was pretty great last night.SHIELD writers need to be fired and find new ones.

19. K. says:

I think they need to move Shield to Sundays with OUAT and Revenge, also the May and Ward relationship has got to go, just feels wrong!!! Chicago Fire was good but it still got beat by models walking in their high priced underwear!

20. Apples says:

I don’t think AoS’s decline has to do with NCIS. It is just not that well-written, casted or acted a show. I switched off around 4-5 episodes into the season, and nothing I’ve heard or seen since has tempted me back to watching it. And I am not watching NCIS either.
    I expected a lot better from the Whedon-brand (yes I know he’s not really in charge, and it is absolutely telling).

21. tv2day says:

Aos is written for pre teens n teens. U can’t move the start time from 8pm. I stopped dvr’ing after 3 episodes. Pretty bad.

22. TWC says:

NCIS was fun and funny last night and that was good. Right now however, I do not like the new Bishop character. I realize she has only been on a couple of episodes but I am not sure that she seems to be coming up with all the answers. I don’t see the interaction between Tony, McGee and Abby.

• tp says:

While I miss Ziva, I don’t miss her enough to stop watching because of her. It’s not the same with the blonde chick. I can’t believe I’m saying this but….I have watched NCIS since the beginning and it has lost it’s appeal for me.

23. liz says:

no one in the demo watches live tv; the audience the show is targeting is the most tech-savvy audience there is. And they have a non-traditional schedule, which really doesn’t prompt them to go ‘hey, I’m going to watch a tv show live at 8pm’. No one in the demo does that.

24. Kris says:

Chicago Fire for the win!! This season is so much better than season one. Glad to see the ratings are high!!

25. Fernando says:

ABC has killed all of thier shows, AOS can be making 9 million viewers but NCIS and I’m sure the originals are hurting it, ABC needs to find a new night for it maybe Sunday.

Goldbergs & Trophy Wife bel

• Fernando says:

Like I was saying the comdies belong on wed and will not rise unless it happens.

Once & Revenge have also been hurt thanks to ABC but that had to do with last years scheduling plus dull writing. Hopefully Revege can improve at 10/9 pm

Nashville also needs a new time slot

Thursday and Mondays are the only good nights ratings wise for ABC

26. RobMF says:

I’m glad Chicago Fire is doing so well, it’s one of the best shows on TV in my opinion.

27. patrick says:

What bothers me about S.H.I.E.L.D is how they portray the agency in the movies in comparison to the tv show. In the movies is an ultra secretive badass agency, in the show its a cartoon act. None of the characters are likeable and none of the actors can act outside of Ming Na and Greg. Then there’s the fact that there’s no clear storyline, it’s too procedural for having an infinite amount of source material.

28. Jason says:

If there are changes for S.H.I.E.L.D., I would keep Fitz-Simmons and obviously Coulson… And possibly bring in Maria Hill since Cobie will be available and then re-cast the rest… I really, really REALLY wanted and tried to like this show, but it just isn’t interesting… And it’s ABC, why can’t we get Nathan Fillion to guest star as Hank Pym?!?

29. George Kon says:

Dear Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,

Your homework over the winter break is to study every episode of Arrow and learn how a great comic book show is done

30. Jason says:

TIme to cancel the disaster that is Shield. The only interesting characters are the two lab techs. ANd even them you can only understand about half their lines they speak so fast with techno babble and accents. Lesson Mr. Whedon. You can’t let your Baby brother run a show through nepotism and expect it to be great just because it has your name on it and absolutely zero involvement from what I can tell. The plots are plagiarized, the dialogue is laughable (trying to be funny does not make it funny) Little brother go back and watch some Buffy, ANgel, and Firefly reruns if you want to get soem dialogue inspiration. Oh and if you can’t spend some of the Marvel money taking a car out and actually filming a scene just set the scene somewhere else. That green scree when driving a car is laughable and takes you right out of the plot

• Walrus says:

Lol, yeah… during that scene, they ran a stop sign. I rewound a couple of times to make sure. Unless it was a 1 way stop in the opposite direction, which I’ve never seen. They had their hair blow a couple of times, but not even enough for having a window down, much less strutting “Lola’s” stuff with the top down.

31. SK says:

I gave up on Shield because I can’t stand Skye. She’s too annoying. I watched it not as a fan of the comic book or the movies since I never saw any of them, but as a show that looked really interesting. I gave it several chances because the premise looked good to me but the more episodes in, the more annoying Skye got until I couldn’t stand her anymore. I liked the others, Ward – not so much.

32. I agree that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. isn’t as good as it should be, but I think a lot of that comes from Disney, ABC and Marvel tying their hands in different ways:
    Don’t make it too intense or violent we want kids parents to watch it too.
    Don’t burn through story too fast or this have the same problem as Once Upon a Time if we decide to keep it.
    You can’t directly use much from the source material because we want to save that for bigger cash cows.

I can’t really tell if the actors who play Sky and Ward are up to their roles because they haven’t had much to do that isn’t straight out of Screenwriting 101.

And what scheduling genius put Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. up against NCIS. Without Supers, grittiness or comic content, it is basically NCIS for kid with a plane and less politics and less experienced actors.

33. Dot says:

Am i crazy bt i got back into shields ever sense the ward and may relationship happened and agreed skype is annoying bt i wanna know who her parents are!!!77