Chicago Fire Fall Finale Recap: Watch Your Head

Chicago Fire Season 2 RecapOn Tuesday’s Chicago Fire fall finale, the team felt the sweet taste of victory before being dealt a major blow to one of their own.

RELATED | Chicago Fire Season 2 Casts Daisy Betts as Severide’s Love Interest

With only 24 hours to go before they’re shut down, the men and women of Firehouse 51 band together to save their jobs. The little boy that Severide rescued shows up with some neighborhood moms who are disappointed about the shutdown. While the kid sets up shop with a little-signed petition, everyone else takes a different approach to the task. Severide rallies the troops, enlisting the support of some fellow firefighters. In exchange, he agrees to teach a basic training class. Casey, meanwhile, asks Antonio to find something criminal on McLeod, but he comes up empty. Mouch, however, hits the jackpot when he finds out that the consultant doesn’t have to close another house. However, if she reduces the budget by 10 percent, then she will get a hefty bonus.

But it’s Mills who comes in for the save. After a very public display of support from the neighborhood and fire department, which attracts even the local news media, Chief Boden and McLeod are both called in to meet with the senator, who employs Mills’ girlfriend Isabella. She ends up laying into McLeod – excuse me, Gail – threatening her to sign off on the end of her reign of terror. And if she doesn’t, Isabella promises Gail that she won’t even be able to get a job as a meter maid.

The feat even manages to bridge the sometimes shaky relationship between Boden and Mills. When the Chief thanks Mills for what he did, he just replies, “It was all because of you.”

VIDEO | First Look: Watch the Trailer for NBC’s Chicago Fire Spin-Off

Unfortunately, the celebration is marred by Casey and Dawson’s first lovers’ spat. She’s been accepted to be a firefighter, but her boyfriend isn’t exactly congratulating her.

“You tend to leap before you look sometimes,” he says honestly. Then he suggests she talk to some female firefighters before making her decision, but the damage seems to be done.

When she announces to the house that she’s accepted the position, Casey is surprised. There’s no time to talk, though, as the team is called to a burning building. And here’s where it gets really bad. Boden orders everyone to evacuate, but Casey heads back inside to save a baby and ends up getting hit in the head by a falling beam.

“Not like this!” Dawson cries out as they ride in the ambulance with Casey bleeding pretty profusely. The waterworks only increase as she watches him being prepped for surgery.

Meanwhile, sitting amongst his colleagues in the hospital waiting room — a nice callback to the pilot — Mills finally comes to a decision about his career. “I just wanted to let you guys know I’m a firefighter, and I will always be a firefighter,” he declares.

Finally, Antonio arrives to take away Jeff, who’s now a suspect in the murder of his wife’s shady ex.

Chicago Fire fans, what did you think of the episode? What do you suspect will happen to Casey? And can you see Dawson as a firefighter? Head to the comments with your thoughts, but first, grade the hour via the poll below!

1. Amanda says:

I truly love this show, and I can’t wait for Chicago PD to start. I can’t wait to visit these characters and their world twice a week.

2. Andrea says:

Love love love this show!!

3. Amber says:

I will be extremely upset if he dies. Enough so, that I won’t watch if he does. But I’m hopeful he will survive. And I hope he doesn’t have amnesia.

Loved Isabella putting that witch in her place

4. Tran 2.0 says:

I give the Fall finale of Chicago Fire an A. Can’t wait for Chicago PD when it premieres on January 8th. Wonder if there’s going to be a crossover episode between Chicago Fire and PD?

5. Jon says:

I’m guessing Jeff’s wife is the one that killed the guy

6. i will be shocked if casey dies
    i know it’s supposed to be “dramatic” but come on do y’all really think they’ll kill off one of the two biggest stars of the show??

7. Diz says:

I love the show but I am indifferent on Casey. He really doesn’t do anything for me.

8. Moonlight4evr says:

I won’t watch if they kill Casey.

Hey Person of Interest just killed off one of their biggest stars. So that doesn’t mean Chicago Fire won’t do the same. I just hope they do NOT!

9. Emmy says:

I thought it was great! I’ve actually really liked Jeff since the beginning of the season. I think he has been a great addition to the show!

• Lisa London says:

Me too. He’s fairly mysterious and has depth. They have built good storylines around him. He’s also easy on the eyes. :-)

10. christina Loudermilk says:

I love this show and thought the finale was awesome and I hope and pray they don’t kill off casey!!!!

11. Saabgirlatx says:

Casey’s not the Blind Item person is it??? I was almost in tears during that fire scene!

12. Beth says:

Mills coming through in the end, I am starting to like him again. I loved that the neighborhood rallied around the house. If they do some soap opera amnesia crap with Casey I will be very annoyed. I feel bad for Clarke, right when he said that to him i knew it wouldn’t end well.

• Janine says:

I’m hoping Casey will be up and running with some time to rest and Dawson to take good care of him . I agree with the whole not letting him have amnesia or anything soap opera related like ending him and Dawson .. It took long enough to put them together so keep it that way hopefully they will have the baby he wanted

13. sarah says:

This show has quietly become one of the best on t.v., I’m so glad I stuck with it. And can’t wait for Chicago P.D in January.

14. Kristy Hilton says:

I love the show and can’t wait for the spin off, but I can’t stand Dawson. I find her self righteous and annoying. I hate that Casey is with her. She always thinks she’s right. I just fast forward through most of her scenes. Love everybody else.

• Kellie says:

I completely agree! She always thinks she’s right and doesn’t listen to anyone. I thought Casey made a good point about how she doesn’t think things thru before acting. His suggestion of talking with other female firefighters was valid and wasn’t unsupportive but she overreacts a lot!

15. Gaia says:

I think it was one of the best episodes so far!
    I just hope that Casey doesn’t die, it wouldn’t make sense.
    Clark is innocent, his wife did it.
    And Charlie eventually decides to stay with 51!
    I can’t wait for the show to come back!

16. Maryann says:

Love this show ! Best midseason finale of the fall! I just hope Casey doesn’t die. The show will lose a lot of layering and depth if he does. And after what happened on Person of Interest, never say never.

MacLeod’s takedown was fantastic! Am so glad that Charlie decided to stay a firefighter, even though with the crossover levels, we could still have seen him on Chicago PD. And I love Casey and Dawson together; let’s just hope her decision to become a firefighter doesn’t break them up. That said, I am looking forward to seeing a female firefighter — although I do not for a moment feel that different standards should be applied to women and men in terms of being a firefighter. I would rather they had brought in someone new, who could actually pass the physical tests, and watched how the guys would react to that. It was not a good sign that Dawson had to have a guy help her cut that guy down whose sex games had gone wrong.

One final thought. I really, REALLY like the level of casual, passing crossovers with the people who will be on Chicago PD. it has made us involved with the characters before the show even starts. I hope that continues, going both ways, as the new show goes forward.

17. HeatherC says:

AUGH, I knew something bad was coming but I still bawled when they were trying to save Casey in the ambulance. What a fall finale and thank goodness this wasn’t the season finale or else the summer would be CRAZY long, LOL ;) I loved how they took down McLoed (go Pete and Isabella!) and when the community rallied up to help save 51 I definitely shed some tears. That was incredibly moving. I’m reasonably confident that Jeff is covering for his wife as well but I wonder what the whole story is there. And as big of a Dawsey fan as I am, I actually liked that they had a bit of a conflict with the whole firefighting thing. I don’t think Casey was being unsupportive; I think he was thinking about what Hermann said and didn’t want Dawson to have to deal with that sort of thing unless she was really sure of herself. He was being realistic and trying to be honest with her which is totally in character for him. I actually like when couples have realistic problems like this that they need to work out and I’m sure they’ll come out of this one fine once they get to talk again (see, I’m not even worried about Casey dying because that would be show suicide for them to kill off one of their main guys). Overall the show was fantastic and I’m looking forward to it coming back in January….January is next week, right???! ;)

18. Carolina says:

I LOVED seeing McCloud having her @ss handed to her. Isabella couldn’t have been any better at putting her in her place. I could watch that over and over. I laughed when the Chief told her that she missed a spot. I too agree that the guys wife was the one who killed the guy. I was kinda excited to see the relationship with Casey/Dawson, but after last night, I see it will never work. It’s like he said, she jumps into things without thinking. She will only end up hurting him.

• Liz says:

Loved how McCleod’s ass was handed to her. One of the best scenes! I could also see the part of the show over and over again!!!! Isabella was great with that and loved how Chief told her she missed a spot. I do disagree that Dawson will hurt casey. I love them as a couple but I was a little disappointed of his lack of support for her. Although I don’t want her to become a firefighter. She has always been there for him and he needs to do the same with her. I would’ve preferred Dawson going to medical school.

19. Liz says:

I truly enjoyed the episode last night! I’m 100% sure casey won’t die….he is one of the main characters and the show would not be the same. I’m also enjoying Dawson and Casey together. Hopefully they won’t have Matt suffer from memory loss because it would ridiculous to me and I want to see more of them. I’m not really liking Dawson as a firefighter….they should’ve brought another woman for that and sent Dawson to medical school. Overall, I can’t wait for the show to return in January and to see Chicago PD. Can’t wait to see more of Jon, Sophia, Jesse Lee S, and seeing the show intertwine!
    I also want to say its nice to see Latinos being portrayed in a positive light instead of gangsters or maids!

• Krista says:

I agree with you. I have no problem with a female firefighter just not Dawson. I like her role and the relationship she has with Shay. I hoping that she changes her mind! I love Casey and Dawson together so hopefully that relationship continues for a bit with no complications.
      Can’t wait til January!

• HeatherC says:

I refuse to believe that they made us wait for a year and half to see Dawson & Casey get together only to have them separated and apart again after three episodes. That makes no sense at all. I think we’re going to see them work through this whole situation together which has a lot of potential for their characters growing even closer especially after all the trauma from his injuries. I think they need to have some conflicts because that’s real life but they also need to stay together and work through it too. =)

20. Nancy says:

I just want it to be Jan. 7th.

21. Krista says:

I saw it Monday night in Canada and they never show previews of the following episode. Just wondering if they showed any previews for the next episode in January?

22. I’m going to be pissed if he wakes up and can’t remember Dawson. THAT would totally suck. Casey is way too much a part of this show to kill him off so quickly.

• HeatherC says:

I agree that that would suck but I also think that’s a little too ‘soapy’ even for this show. I think Casey is going to wake up, see Dawson standing next to him, smile at her, and then the first thing he’s going to ask is if the baby made it through all right. That’s totally in character for him. =)

23. wrstlgirl says:

Well, okay, I said it last week over Dawson’s so easily letting go of Shay because she was jealous of the new GF and I’m gonna say it again. Dawson is a selfish b*tch. Now before you jump all over me, I’m all for someone taking there career by the balls and running with it….BUT…..Dawson just got the man of her dreams, the man she’s been whining about and pining for for what….years. This is Hallie all over again. Casey wants a family and she knows that. Guess she doesn’t care for him that much after all. Queue the nasty responses…….Other than that I loved the finale’. I wish I would not have watched the scenes last week though because they basically spoiled the big cliffhanger. I doubt Casey dies and I have to agree with a lot of other posters that an amnesia story will be completely lame, I really hope they don’t go there. I don’t believe Jeff killed that guy and Mills, oh Mills, you ROCK!!!!

• HeatherC says:

Not gonna be nasty at all because in some ways I agree with you, but this wasn’t something she did out of the blue. This was something she was thinking about six years ago and then put out of her mind because she thought it wasn’t possible. I don’t think she was expecting to get accepted so it was a total shock to her. I wish she had talked to other female firefighters like Casey suggested but it’s in character for her to get her mind set on something and just run with it (Casey even said that to her…he knows this all ready). I don’t think this is like Hallie because Hallie used medical school and her residency as an excuse to not having kids while Casey & Dawson haven’t even had that conversation yet because it’s not been all that long for them (and she loves kids…he knows this from seeing her pics with her nieces and nephews last season). I think this will be a situation that makes Dawson grow up a bit more and I think she and Casey will work through things together. They didn’t make us wait this long for Dawsey just to break them up after three episodes. I hope we see them work through things because it will make them both stronger as a couple and individual characters. =)

• wrstlgirl says:

I understand what you’re saying, Dawson does jump first and think later, but she had already made up her mind before she ever told Casey about it, and then she didn’t heed his advice at all. I understand why he’s disappointed. But as far as the kids thing. The fact that they have just gotten together doesn’t matter. She knows what’s in his heart and understandably they are not there yet but it’s still shows her me, me, me attitude which is very selfish. Dawson needs to grow up so hopefully your right with that thought. And no, it would be stupid for anyone to think that after all of season one and half of season two of her pining that they would just break them up. The problem I have with this now is unfortunately we will have to endure the whole “work through things” which I have zero desire to see. Stupid relationship crap that should never have started in the first place, but that’s drama for you. I really will hate to lose the Dawson and Shay dynamic. I just don’t see how Dawson can become a firefighter in the same house. That’s just messy and complicated not to mention I don’t think it would be allowed, him being her boss or not.

24. Renee says:

Ugh. Really? Dawson as the female firefighter? Why her? Would have loved some new faces to this mix. This doesn’t work for many reason unless 1)she gets a spot on the engine 81 or other rig in the house. Because she can’t have a relationship with Casey and be on the truck if he is her officer. And she isn’t qualified to be on the Squad.

and 2) Dawson and Shay have a great relationship and they are fun to watch when they are in the ambo. 3)unless they start showing more people on engine 81 or what was the other rig? 53? Gabby’s role doesn’t fit with 51 or squad.

and furthermore 3) she sucks. Can’t they bring in a leading female on this show that isn’t a love interest or having issues with her single love life? Would love to see a female firefighter that is married and a working mom character. She can be sexy, funny and fit–and one of the boys. Where is this?

• wrstlgirl says:

Yep :-)

• Kellie says:

I agree 100% Renee! It would be nice to see Dawson training to be a firefighter only to realize she can’t hack it. It’s time that girl got knocked down a peg or two. And really, she applied 6 years ago and now just got in? You would think you’d have to apply again after that long.

I would also be great to meet the guys on the Engine 51 rig. I kept thinking when Boden was talking to them in the conference room “who are the guys in the back?” They don’t need to be front and center but how about some interaction?

25. Bob Smith says:

Is it possible Boden is Mills’ father???

• Carolina says:

I’ve suspected it since we found out that Mill’s mom and the Chief had an affair. I can’t remember seeing a picture of Mill’s dad, but I was surprised when he made the comment to Isabella about him being black. I always just figured he was Latino.

• Rachael says:

I believe he is Mills father as it was inferred many times.

26. Michelle says:

I think Dawson was going to follow Casey’s advice but Shay ambushed her with that whole “make an announcement” thing. Put on the spot like that…Dawson chose. But Casey’s accident might get her to reconsider.

• HeatherC says:

I think you’re right. I had the same thought about her being put on the spot although for half a second I thought she was actually going to announce to everyone that she and Casey were dating. They were going to tell everyone at the end of that shift after all. I think he may have thought that too from the look on his face.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m not so sure about that. Her mind was already made up before she ever spoke to him in the first place. But we’ll never know now I guess. I’m sure his accident will give her pause and create loads of opportunity for soap stares.

• Beth says:

So true Michelle! That is what I got out of that scene, I believe Dawson was going to take Casey’s advice and than was put on the spot. Maybe they had that whole Dawson/Casey spat to show how WELL he knows her.

27. Amanda says:

I loved this episode!! It was everything that I would want in a Finale of any kind. My thoughts on the Dawson and Casey fight are that I don’t think Casey was being unsupportive but he has lost 2 people to fires, and maybe the thought of losing Dawson isn’t something he wants to think of. Either way if she does go the Firefighter way, she might not even end up in 51. Looking forward to watching this play out.

28. meresger says:

I loved the winter finale! The “Gail” affair and Mills and Isabella and then Mouch losing all seemed a bit annoying episodes ago, but the way it tied up made it worth it.

I wouldn’t mind Dawson becoming a firefighter. I loved when “Rescue Me” had a female fire fighter and was disappointed when the actress quit, because it made for some really interesting commentary on gender issue in the FD. Of course, I like Dawson and Casey, but since getting characters together in happy relationships seems to kill a show/pairing, I could do with dragging that out if the obstacle to their romance is believable and important to character development. Shay could also then get a leadership position, rebuilding her confidence after the suicide, and hopefully a new partner in (also hopefully) a good actor/actress who adds to the cast.

29. Does anyone know the character name or the actor who played the firefighter trainer that Kelly talks to about helping out with McCleod? He reminds me so much of Kevin Thighe, but I can find no information.

30. MyMy! says:

I Love Casey! <3
    But agree with most of u, Dawson is starting to get annoying. Isn't relationship about communicating with each other? Something she didn't really do.
    And a kind of like Heather Darden and Casey more. Especially since he could be a really good father to her boys.

31. JMill says:

1) Great fall finale.

2) Loved the Senator. ‘Hi howya doin’! GREAT to meet ya! Now here’s my lovely assistant to hand your head to you six different ways, with six sauces. Nicetameetchagottago!’

3) Loved Isabella even more. She don’t play, not even a little. Mountain lion with a chew toy. ‘When I bite, you squeak, and then go far, far away. And stay there.’

4) Dawson. She’s been invited to the Academy. Doesn’t mean she’s going to she’s going to cut it. No worries though. In sure she’ll take it right in stride. Be a dream to be around. After all, we’re just talking physics here, right? ;)

5) Casey. I dunno. He slots in perfectly with a certain blind item (I don’t recall NBC being taken off the table, but if there’s a link to support it that wouldn’t exactly break my heart).

32. jamie says:

great finale!
    love casey and dawson together, so i hope they give them a chance to develop there relationship and not just have them call it quits when they made the fans wait so long for them to happen.
    i like the story line of a female firefighter and am curious to see where they go with it cause
    i cant see how she could get onto truck 81 and casey as her boss.
    also if they do develop thier relationship and do eventually want to have kids she definantly cant be a pregnant firefighter.
    and i am really gonna miss gabby and shay together.
    i hope the writers read all our thoughts:)

• emily says:

I also like the story of a female firefighter–just not her! Would have liked some new female characters to the crew. I like Dawson and Shay, but would like it if they mixed it up a bit. They just brought Jeff in…why can’t they bring in a new female. And agree with the posts above–can’t she be experienced? And does every female on this show have to have struggling love life?

33. sue says:

what happen. Last season it ended with casey on the table; wont spoil it for anyone, but did i miss something?

34. BILLY DIAZ says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW MORE THAN ANY SHOW I’VE FOLLOWED. AND IT’S MOSTLY BECAUSE OF DAWSON AND CASEY. I’VE ONLY SEEN UP TO EPISODE 3 OF SEASON 2 BEC IT’S NOT AIRING YET IN THE PHILIPPINES, SO IT REALLY SUCKS, BUT I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE CASEY AND DAWSON FINALLY TOGETHER. BEST NEWS EVER! I HOPE I’M ABLE TO SEE IT REALLY SOON.

35. BILLY DIAZ says:

I’M HAPPY FOR DAWSON BUT IT SUCKS THAT SHE AND CASEY HAVE TO FIGHT ABOUT IT. AND WHAT’S WORST, CASEY IS BADLY HURT BECAUSE OF AN ACCIDENT. I HOPE THINGS GO WELL BETWEEN THEM. I KNOW THIS EVENT WILL BRING THEM CLOSER TOGETHER IN SEASON 3.