The Voice Season 5 Semifinal Performance Recap: Keep Calm and 'Carry On' [Updated]

The Voice Will Champlin Carry OnCan People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive” (*With a Current Project to Promote/Not Named Idris Elba) be stopped?

That’s the question surrounding The Voice Season 5 semifinals, seeing how coach Adam Levine hasn’t lost a single contestant since Nov. 7 (aka Top 20 results night) (aka for freakin’ ever).

RELATED | The Voice: 25 Song Suggestions to Make Season 5 More Surprising (and Delightful)

Of course, perhaps the even bigger question is whether membership on any coach’s team means anything at all. I mean, fans of NBC’s reality singing huggernaut — a typo, but that seems apt given all the positive vibrations, no? — have heard each member of the Top 5 perform 10 individual solo numbers over the last few months.

So shouldn’t it be more about the future potential pop stars than the already established ones? Should it be held against Jacquie Lee, for example, that her mentor Christina Aguilera turned her critique of James Wolpert into a mini rant about how she’s the one who should’ve been singing U2′s “With or Without You”? (Insert eye roll here.) Would anyone enamoured of Cole Vosbury’s gruff voice (and silky beard) withhold their vote to prevent Blake Shelton from nabbing his fourth consecutive win on the show? Is anyone more appreciative of Will Champlin, Tessanne Chin or the aforementioned Mr. Wolpert because Adam Levine (allegedly) cooked ‘em eggs for brekkie? (Side note: If Adam truly did rock the kitchen, how the heck did NBC’s camera crew fail to capture it? File under: #CookingIsSexy4Real.)

RELATED | The Voice‘s Caroline Pennell on Tackling Bieber, Rocking ‘Royals,’ Accepting Cee Lo’s Laid-Back Coaching: ‘Everyone Else Was Standing Up’

Forgive me. This recap has devolved into tragic hashtag territory. Who do I think I am? Mariah #Pow Carey? #Ugh #It’sBeenALongSeason #HelpMeIdolStartsInJustAMonth

JACQUIE LEE ANGEL THE VOICEOK, it’s clearly time for me to get to the hard work of assigning letter grades for tonight’s performances:

James Wolpert (Team Adam): U2′s “With or Without You” — Grade: B- | Maybe James was bummed about getting stuck in the undesirable leadoff position — after last week’s Bottom 2, no less — but his performance tonight lacked the haunted urgency and the desperate ache required to sell the lyrics he was delivering. Not only that, but James also struggled with his pitch, especially in the opening third of the song when he wasn’t in full-on belting mode. There’s no doubt the guy has some genuine vocal talent, but his semifinal performance had an aura of defeat enveloping it — kind of like he’d been sent to chop down a sapling with a pair of basic household scissors.

Will Champlin (Team Adam): fun.’s “Carry On” — Grade: A | I’m not going to try to pretend Will didn’t make a couple of mistakes tonight — particularly on that one glory note in his upper register. But minor sins can be washed away, especially when they’re being blasted by a virtual fire-hose of emotions and sanded down with the grit and gravel of a voice that’s full of character and mystery. I know, I know, this paragraph is a being brought to you by the word “excessive,” but the combination of fun.’s stirring anthem and Will’s newfound freedom — the freedom to smile, the freedom to truly lose himself in the music, perhaps even the freedom to imagine winning this whole thing — was truly invigorating.

Jacquie Lee (Team Xtina): Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” — Grade: A- | This just in: Jacquie Lee does not need to be at Diva Defcon One to stay on pitch or to properly communicate the emotions of a song. Despite Xtina’s goofy insistence that “Angel” is sweet and innocent, I felt like Jacquie cut straight to the heart of a mournful ballad about a tortured soul finally succumbing to addiction. The purity and clarity of the airy opening half gave me a serious case of the shivers, and while Jacquie’s detractors will almost surely call “blasphemy!’ on her choice to go for the glory notes and tear into phrases like “dark cold hotel room” and “in the arms of the angels” after the key change, I appreciated that she took a risk and stepped away from McLachlan’s template, choosing her own more intense path rather than keepin’ it ethereal start to finish. Loss is a complicated thing, after all, with grief and anger and acceptance and relief all operating on the same plane. And despite two or three wobbly notes, Jacquie absolutely brought all of those emotions to the stage tonight. Here’s hoping she’s rewarded for it with a spot in the finale.

Cole Vosbury (Team Blake): Billy Joel/Garth Brooks’ “Shameless” — Grade: B | With so much riding on this single performance, I was hoping Cole might take a chance and overhaul a pop or R&B ditty to fit his roots-rock-n-soul style, but as Blake has proven in the past few seasons, big, bold moves aren’t always synonymous with winning. And so we got Cole behind the piano for one of the least hook-y songs in the Billy Joel repertoire, with the impressively bearded fella using his cedar-smoked rasp to infuse the tune with a little extra oomph. Surprisingly, the usually spotless Cole hit a series of flat notes once he stood up and tried to get his rockstar on, but if I’m being honest, the bigger problem was that — like a dark-colored minivan in a shopping-mall parking lot on Black Friday — there was nothing in particular about this performance to make it stand out.

Tessanne Chin (Team Adam): Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” — Grade: A- | Based on the length and power of her final glory note alone — honestly, that was Shelley-Winters-underwater-in-The-Poseidon-Adventure-level breath control — Tessanne should (and likely will) advance to the finale. But focusing on her grand finale alone would rob Tessanne of the credit she deserves for a vocal that was so regal, I half expected Queen Elizabeth to hop on stage and pop a crown on it. (I know, I know, that sentence went off into the woods and never came back.) If I’m being nitpicky (and I have it an A-, so you know I am), I was more impressed/astonished by Tessanne this week than I was moved/stirred — I still feel like sometimes there’s a hint of reserve preventing us from seeing everything the former background vocalist has to give — but who knows? Maybe the early-front-runner who lost momentum post-Knockouts and has been slowly building back to contending status, is just saving a little somethin’ somethin’ for next week.

Should Go Home: James, Cole
Will Go Home: Honestly, I’d just be guessing at this point.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Top 5 performance night? Who absolutely must make the finale? Who will and should get booted? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

Comments (553)

• It looks like Tess and Jacquie are well on their way to nabbing high spots on iTunes.

James–I thought he did very well. Adam found the CD holder with his good song choices in it tonight, because U2 is the type of music James should have been singing all along. I did think he didn’t quite let himself go emotionally, which has been one of my issues with him the entire season. He almost gets to that real emotional place and then he pulls back. The only time I’ve really seen him go there was with A Case of You. And while Christina’s random comment was random, I think it was more directed at Adam as in, “Oh, NOW I know why my suggestion got turned down! You stole my song idea and gave it to your dude!”

Will–At last Will had fun, but he hit quite a few BIG bum notes, not just a bit of wavering. I still saw the wheels turning, but he at least let himself break through the walls, although I think he didn’t always break through at the proper time. I felt like he would break through, think better of it and pull back, and then second guess again.

Jacquie–I got a bit moist-eyed at Jacquie’s rendition of Angel. There were absolutely breath-taking moments and I’m so happy Jacquie got to show other sides and other strengths in her voice. She has vocally matured quite a bit on the show and I think Christina going to the studio with her was actually a HUGE help. Jacquie’s recordings can be a bit all over the place. I loved how she played with her falsetto/head voice throughout the song. And yes, there was some randomness in the middle where she slipped into old habits, but she came back to where she needed to be.

Cole–I like Cole and think he is a great singer, but I don’t care that much for country and he seems to fade into the background when everyone else is having a great night. He did turn it up a notch… but is it too late?

Tessanne–Adam picked a great song, although I wanted Tess to sing something fun, she’s sung all these heart-wrenchers already. She did great (as she always does) and I’m glad to see the buying public thinks so as well, but honestly, A Bridge Over Troubled Water is always a Chris Mann song on the show to me. Where the hell is some TINA TURNER for Tess, Adam?

I think the ladies started the night strong as they were the best in the group number (poor Cole’s mic issues aside) and they finished the night proving that they were the people to beat. I don’t think any of the guys really came close to them, although they gave it the ole college try.

Comment by Stephan – December 9, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will did not have bum notes. It was one of his best performances.

Comment by hmr – December 9, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Umm… he was screaming those high notes and was off key. He definitely had fun tonight, but he got pitchy and it was fairly noticeable. I wouldn’t mind him in the Top 3 as he has totally deserved it, but he has had better nights than tonight vocally.

Comment by Stephan – December 9, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling that Cole is a mortal lock. Tessanne suddenly seems to be getting votes from all over the place and maybe has second. Then a tricky fight for third, with the way Jacquie utterly blew it out of the park I’d hope she has the final spot.

Comment by HTGR – December 9, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessanne had me crying before she hit the bridge. Bridge Over Troubled Water is a difficult song to nail and Tessanne not only nailed it, she brought real emotion to the song. A+++.
    Cole brought his usual country rock swagger to Shameless.
    Jacquie Lee had better control but she doesn’t understand that vocal tricks don’t add soul to a performance. I can only think of Kree singing that song last spring and everything Jacquie Lee did with the yodels sounded hollow.
    I thought James sang well but the song choice was boring. Maybe Will had fun but that wasn’t his best performance of the night.

Comment by Ginger Snap – December 9, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was what I hated most about her performance; the “vocal tricks”. Totally unnecessary…. it worked for Sarah in the original, but Jacquie trying to do it was totally sacrilegious.

Comment by Ed – December 9, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just need Christina to never grace Jacquie with this kind of song ever again. It worked this time…but honestly it was only because the only other person who stood out (and above her) was Tessanne tonight. If I don’t feel the power of Christ compelling me to break and hurt things with joy and delight as I hear this girl sing…it ain’t right. Not sure if she can win that way.

Comment by Kaba – December 9, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was pulling for James tonight. He started off a bit lifeless; but, once he went into that upper register, he never looked back. Unfortunately for him, there were three stellar performances that outshone him. I thought Cole was just okay. He didn’t do anything remarkable.
    Note: I think Jacquie is getting a bad rap from some people. Her performance was second only to Tessanne in my mind.

Comment by David H – December 9, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 11. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    15. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    33. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    34. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    43. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Teddy Noxid (@Thunda_munk) – December 9, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope Will makes it to the finale because I feel like he want it more.

Comment by Misilin – December 9, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, um, I’m not sure that’s how it works. It’s who performs better and gets the votes for it. They all “want” it. If they didn’t then they wouldn’t be there.

Comment by Mike – December 9, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sexy beard for Top 3 and Tessanne for the eventual win! Jacquie achieved a few things tonight: made a Sara MacLachlan song overwrought, over sung and unbearable.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – December 9, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So from the looks of it we’ll be having Danielle, Michelle, and Cassadee performing tomorrow…Welp, Can’t wait to see fanbases argue among one another over who’s single is the best, who performed the best, who’s vocals were the best, etc.
    I’ll be there ;) (Go michelle!)

Comment by Kaba – December 9, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slightly off-topic, but did Michael ever sing like he was supposed to when he lost that bet? And if he did, can someone post a link?

Back to the Voice. I thought everyone was pretty decent tonight, so it might come down to who had to go first and was forgotten later.

Comment by dj – December 9, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He may not be the most exciting contestant, but I find Cole’s songs enjoyable and easy to listen to (still have ‘Let Her Go’ on repeat!). Honestly, he’s probably the only one I would buy future music from.
    I’ve had mixed feelings about Jacquie throughout the season- loved loved loved the beginning of her performance but then it went to hell. Ugh.
    James was meh. Fine. I was happy to see Will enjoying himself but I won’t be buying that one.
    Tessanne…hmm. She has a great voice, but for some reason I just can’t connect with her. I can’t figure it out, but I haven’t bought a single one of her songs and I don’t think I would follow her career if she won.
    No idea who will be going home! I wish they performed two songs tonight :(

Comment by AmyP – December 9, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you on all points.

Comment by KP – December 9, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with this 100%.

Comment by Lilly – December 10, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was SO glad that Carson didn’t ask for Christina’s critique after Tessanne sang. We all know she would have found a way to minimize how awesome her performance was.

Comment by shenelletriplett – December 9, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Christina didn’t get to comment on Will or Tessanne which was so good.

Comment by Davey – December 9, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahah, I was thinking the same thing, thank gawd Xtina didn’t get the chance to torpedo them!

Comment by Terry – December 9, 2013 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Davey and Terry lol exactly! I couldn’t bear hearing another one of her painful, self-centered rants.

Comment by shenelletriplett – December 9, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Anybody else notice that Christina was NOT in her seat for the second-to-last performance. (I forgot … was that Will?) Because you look at Blake giving his critique, and you can see CeLo, but no Christina between.

Comment by Lilly – December 10, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Christina actually likes Tessanne and she is usually spot on in her critique when she actually gives one.

Comment by Stephan – December 9, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Usually she uses it as a time to talk about how she wants to hear Tessanne’s accent more or about how much fun she had in Jamaica.

Comment by shenelletriplett – December 9, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How ridiculous. Christina makes the most condescending remarks to Tessanne. She usually runs on about the Jamaican man on a horse or her Jamaican vacations and goes on about how Tessanne has a cute Jamaican accent. She treats her like a some kind of exotic pet. She wants to emphasize Tessanne ‘foreigness’. This is Christina’s technique to get votes for her contestant.

Comment by sd – December 9, 2013 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have to agree. Last week when Tessane sang that first song, Christina said it reminded her of her vacation and her guide with the cute Jamaican accent, totally trivializing Tessane’s performance.

Comment by dj – December 9, 2013 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL ? Christina loves tess and always praises. Shut up, really lmao.

Comment by Douglas – December 9, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A-?? Please tell me how Tessanne could have been any better.

Comment by KT – December 9, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont understand how ppl can say that Tess has no personality on stage. When she sand Bridge over troubled water the emotion was in her expression and in her voice. Jacquie was very good as well. I dnt think she screams. I actually liked her performance. They both get an A. But even though Tess may have sung in the beginning a note for a bit too long, just the absolute power and soulfulness of the her performance stole the show in my estimation. Cole wasnt as good as he was previously, James was good but i dnt kno if it will b enough. Will was good but there is something about him i cant put my finger on about him that makes me really like but not love his performances. i dont know…..

Comment by Blu – December 9, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I downloaded Tessanne’s Bridge Over Trouble Water and it is amazing. Whatever happens she needs to make a record. Will’s Carry On on iTunes is the happiest he’s ever sounded. I hope he finds an audience if he doesn’t make it to the top 3 next week.

Comment by Davey – December 9, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I downloaded Tessanne’s tune too. It’s spectacular. She somehow turned a folk rock song into a soulful R&B tune. Love the dynamics of it.

Comment by Tyler – December 10, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jacquie and Tessanne have officially solidified 1st or 2nd place status imo.
    They’re both going to get the x5 multiplier (for once..then everyone in the top 6 and beyond has had a multiplier) and be in the finale.
    I’m satisfied. Good night. I suspect Cole to slip to the finale lol

Comment by Kaba – December 9, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 10. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    12. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    24. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    25. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    35. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Cole and Will are neck and neck it seems….. And the show just ended on the West Coast…. Might be some more jostling that will occur when they start buying music. Tess seems headed to #1 maybe.

Comment by Teddy Noxid (@Thunda_munk) – December 9, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 9. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
      11. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
      19. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
      22. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
      32. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Teddy Noxid (@Thunda_munk) – December 9, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really hope Will gets into the top 3!!!

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I really hope so too. People absolutley need to buy his song now!

Comment by Quinn Carson – December 9, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet Tessanne gets to number 1. Just an amazing performance tonight. Even Michael had to give her an A although he made sure to add the minus so she wouldn’t be ahead of his favorite (Jacquie).

Comment by sd – December 9, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have just been listening on iTunes and I miss Matthew on the show. I know I am in the minority, but Jacquie, while having a good voice for the loud rock songs, just massacred Angel….parts of it were ok but other parts did not suit the song at all and were just bad. The best tonight IMHO were Cole and Tessanne.

Comment by KP – December 9, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree on jaquie but best tonight were tessane and will

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cole? Really? I thought he had an off night, vocally just wasn’t on point. Agree with you about Tessanne. And there were some parts of Angel that made me cringe… you’re in the arms, in the arms, in the arms of Angels… lol

Comment by Terry – December 9, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cole and will are really close in itunes 19 and 20! Please vote for will!!!

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1)I am confused, Most of you found Sasha allen and Amanda brown as screamers , even better you complain saying they do “ballards” or high vocal performance songs but Jacquie Lee is not a screamer. I find Jacquie doing the same amount of “Ballards” or high vocal performance songs.
    2) Would your votes have gone to Amanda brown or Sasha Allen if they were 15 or 16 years old.

AFAIK, if you have a good voice (Good genes), No matter your age you will sing as good as always may be an exception of old age where your vocal chord control is inhibited by age offcourse.

Comment by Mori_Samuel – December 9, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Amanda and Sasha a lot and I dont like Jacquie… Sorry

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you but that doesnt mean i hate jacquie. I am quite honestly confused with people.

Comment by Mori_Samuel – December 9, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I dont hate her, i just dont like her spetially tonight where she screamed the angel song! All the other pieces of it were quite good

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True! i wasnt a fan of her anyways, I used to like caroline, Matt and juhi because of the music they sing.

Comment by Mori_Samuel – December 9, 2013 08:43 PM PDT
          • The problem I have with Jacquie is that Xtina is trying to turn her into someone she’s not thereby ruining her performances IMO.

Comment by Tyler – December 9, 2013 10:18 PM PDT
  • It’s weird… James Wolpert used to clearly be the leader of the pack. But something about Will really makes him stand out, it’s just that he’s so into it every time he performs. Also, James’ song choices are so bad sometimes. Meat Loaf, seriously, Adam? It’s too late to redeem himself with U2 all of a sudden. I just hope people remember how amazing A Case of You and Love Interruption were.

I won’t mind if Will or Tessanne won. I wouldn’t be too mad if Cole won, either. Despite him being on Blake’s team. But yeah, James has always been my favorite from the start. He reminds me of Win Butler. And he shows a lot of love Jack White and Queen.

It’s sad that James will obviously be the one to go tomorrow and not Jacquie. (Also, the writer obviously has a serious hardon for that kid.) I want her to go, but not cause of the screeching. She is just too unpolished, even Caroline deserved to stay more than her. Jacquie does screech, but her high notes don’t necessarily sound bad. Her only good performance was I Put A Spell On You. Actually, that was great. So it proves she can do some things right. She can go far with more practice and training. And maybe better sing choices would have helped.

Comment by Fio – December 9, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Second you on everything. What puzzles me the most about Adam’s coaching is this: James’ highest charting song on iTunes by far was Case of you, people just loved that, he got the top 8 vote on the toughest elimination night from top 20. How the hell is it possible that have they never even tried to go back to that? On a show like this, where stripped down performances always get rewarded so much? And also this obviously being James’ strongest talent – just this raw interpretation of a song (Love Interruption and CoY). It was just too obvious, so I thought for sure they would, but no, they just kept trying to go bigger and bigger and more rock. Which is just the worst strategy on a show like this.
      Last week when Adam said he wanted to be a better coach, I was hoping he figured it out. But he didn’t, so I’ll miss James, but since they’ve failed to bring out the best in him, I guess it’s his time to go.

I’d like to add, that unlike Adam, I think Blake is really smart. For a while I thought he was lucky for winning with not the best contestants, but the reason he always gives himself a good chance to win is because he figures out a good narrative for his contestants to make them likable and relatable (unlike Adam with his unrealistic overpraise and out of touch critiques), picks good songs that fit that relatable personality and just makes them as human as possible, keeps it simple, emotional, he sees what works and sticks to it. So again, I think Cole will win, because the country vote, the unlikely hearthrob vote, cause his iTunes charting has been most consistent, and because Jacquie and Tessanne will split votes in the final.
      Yes, James and Will are gone tonight.
      IMO The only way Cole loses next week is if him and Blake decide it’s better for one of the girls to win, and even that might not work.

Comment by Maymay – December 10, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree 100%.As soon as I heard that James was doing U2 my heart sank into my shoes.

Comment by Janiecanuck – December 10, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jacquie and Tessanne won it tonight, I think. I hope they both make it to the end.

Comment by MA – December 9, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with Jaquie Lee’s performance is that I can’t hear that damn song anymore without just seeing pitful abused animals staring out from cages with big sad eyes…

Comment by NotAGoodImage – December 9, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! She sang it great, but I bleeping hate that bleeping song!

Comment by Terry – December 9, 2013 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sasha was just as emotionless as sixteen-year-old Jacquie. At least Jacquie does not try so hard to fake it. She (Sasha) was better than Amanda, though. Amanda was so noisy and annoying. Stars was pretty good, though.

Judith was the best. Though even she is only second to my favorite, Juliet.

Comment by Fio – December 9, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This semifinal is so close i think james is leaving, tessane is a lock for the final and will cole and jaquie will fight for the other 2, hope Will gets it!!!

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessanne gave the strongest performance of the night, and although I am firmly rooting for Tessanne I enjoyed Jacqui, also and thought she did a great job. It’s a tight contest, it could go either way at this point. I am hoping that the two girls and one of the guys make it thru to the final, seems to be shaping up that way.

Comment by Tony McCauley – December 9, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • iTunes:
    7.Tessanne
    11.Jacquie Lee
    16.Cole
    17.Will
    26.James

Comment by matt – December 9, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 7. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    11. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    16. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    17. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    26. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 7. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
      11. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
      15. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
      17. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
      23. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Idk anymore. Everyone may make the Top 10. Except James. I just don’t see him having enough momentum

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait, wait! Will is No. 15. Cole is No. 17

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I won’t spam with another update, I’ll let you or someone else do it, but Will has passed Cole now for number 3 spot

Comment by matt – December 9, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s actually Will at 15 and Cole at 17. Will’s little jump probably due to the new surge in voting from the west coast– not complaining!!

Comment by maaricle – December 9, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Will 14 cole 16

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will’s beating Cole? YES!!!! Really happy now. Thank you west coast. Oh, and I love updates, my device is too slow to catch the itunes charts it says Tessane is number 30, haha

Comment by Quinn Carson – December 9, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 7.Tessanne
      10.Jacquie Lee
      14.Will
      16.Cole
      21.James

Comment by matt – December 9, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessanne was the best tonight, she should have an A+
    I was really nervous when I heard the song choice, but she nailed that, absolutely brilliant.
    Can’t for the life of me understand how you rated her on par with Jacquie and lower than Will.

Comment by Terry – December 9, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessanne is #7 yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think she had the best performance of the night.

Comment by Britt – December 9, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessane is the highest out of the five on I-Tunes and only her and Jacquie are in the top 10, so it looks pretty sure that both of them will be advancing…

Comment by Brendan – December 9, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will the 4 of them but James reach the top 10? Seems like it

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessanne is the winner for the night and that song has meanings to her. You can hear her genuine emotions invested in the song and I give Voice credits for not making every contestants’ private life as some sob stories, like X Factor! The most important thing is CONTROL. The transition from low to high and from high to low is so smooth. The final note is just mind-blowing. That is an A+ in my book.

Jacquie – I am so disappointed with this song choice. “Angel” has been done by some many reality contestants around the world, and Voice UK Season 2 Andrea did a much better version of it. However, she has also shown improvement especially in those parts with little music background. But she has that fan base to carry her to the final, but I am not sure if there is any additional momentum to take her all the way to the top. Christina is finally being herself again after pretending to be nice for a while.

For the guys, James, Will and Cole all did a pretty good job and their performances had their strengths and weaknesses. I am not going to predict which one of them will be in the final because the votes will be very CLOSE. I have a feeling that none of these guys can crack it to top ten, so the result will really be based on their voting block. Will has built up a very strong fan base for the past few weeks, as twitters seem to tell me that story. Cole has the country voting block. I love James, but can’t help to feel that he will be the most disadvantaged, as he does not built up a social media following like Cole and Will. For future contestants, tweeters will be your friend.

Anyway, tonight performance was excellent and I am disappointed that they only did one song each (to promote Sing Off) but I guess these contestants need a break too. For the finals, they will sing three songs, including a duet with their coaches, so I am sort of looking forward to it.

Comment by Adrian – December 9, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only heard the final two performances tonight and haven’t viewed the show over the course of the season, so I come in with no preconceived notions of the singers. Tessane’s performance was simply stunning. Gave me chills. Was surprised based on tonight’s performance for all the Cole love. He seems like a nice guy and his performance was adequate, though underwhelming. Shameless is an all-time favorite song of mine, and the version Billy Joel released prior to Garth Brooks picking it up was masterful. Only at the very, very end of the song did Cole even begin to tap into the emotion that BJ brought to this song. Pity.

Comment by KCatty – December 9, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is thetr a link to see this chart on itunes?

Comment by danin – December 9, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • musicchartfeeds(dot)com

Comment by Terry – December 9, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just look at the where it lists the top singles on the right and click on see all

Comment by HTGR – December 9, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Grades
    James Wolpert (Team Adam): U2′s “With or Without You” — Grade: B+
    Will Champlin (Team Adam): fun.’s “Carry On” — Grade: A
    Jacquie Lee (Team Xtina): Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” — Grade: B
    Cole Vosbury (Team Blake): Billy Joel/Garth Brooks’ “Shameless” — Grade: C
    Tessanne Chin (Team Adam): Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” — Grade: A+

Great comeback by James way better vocal this week and I believe he performed probably one of his best nights in a long time. Will was excellent at taking Carry On in a different direction which I admit to liking suprisingly. Jacquie was nice tonight but very very pitchy on high notes that said at least she wasn’t screaming and yelling. Cole I feel last week he was better his voice sounded horse this week and threw both songs he sang tonight out of tune. Tessanne Chin just need to like drop the mike and walk off stage that’s all I have to say on that Amazing Hearfelt Emotional performance.

Comment by Mika02 – December 9, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tessane, Jacquie, Will… Yup, we’ve got our top 3… -fingers crossed-

Comment by Quinn Carson – December 9, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We have to vote for them for that to happen!!

Comment by Sergio – December 9, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina does not like James, she did the same thing with Tony Lucca, she just talks about other things rather then giving critique. I’d rather hear her say she hated it then just an apathetic “yeah it was good, yeah.” I’m a fan of James and I thought he did a great job. He had a fantastic note in there that was really surprising. My favorite performance by far was Will’s though. I love the song and he really changed it up and did something different with it. I wanted to love Jacquie, but I felt she rushed the song. She did some lovely things but tried to to way too much with it and it did a disservice to the song. My ranking: Will, Tessane, James, Jacquie, Cole.

Comment by Rants of A Crazy Person – December 9, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 7. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    10. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    14. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    15. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    21. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 5. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    10. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    13. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    15. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    18. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Teddy Noxid (@Thunda_munk) – December 9, 2013 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m getting Will at 13 and Cole at 15.

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah thanks for the correction

5. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
        9. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
        12. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
        15. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
        18. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Teddy Noxid (@Thunda_munk) – December 9, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yikes, could be anyone

Comment by HTGR – December 9, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will’s at 13, I think.

Comment by Quinn Carson – December 9, 2013 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 5. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    9. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    12. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    15. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    18. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

At this point, it looks like tess, jacquie, will, and cole could all be in the top 10 by the end of the voting period….slightly less likely for james, but it could happen for him too if there’s a sudden surge :O

Comment by maaricle – December 9, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone know when voting is closed?

Comment by Quinn Carson – December 9, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1) Tessanne Chin – I liked the way she was moving stylistically over the past few weeks, but tonight she showed once again that her voice is incredible, and that it would be criminal to exclude her from the finale.
    2) Will Champlin – He edges out Jacquie mostly for the contemporary and age-appropriate song choice. Vocally, there were some pitch issues, but his emotion is usually unsurpassed on this show.
    3) Jacquie Lee – I wasn’t crazy about the song choice-I feel like it’s been forever since she has sung some young and current like “Stompa”-but her talent cannot be denied. This song choice worked stylistically because it kept her from pushing her vocal range, and thus helped her to avoid territory where she might be accused of screeching or screaming.
    4) Cole Vosbury – Another pretty dull song choice, but given how well he sells on iTunes, it may not even matter. His tone is distinctive and listen-able, so a recording contract needs to be in his future, but I think he will benefit from escaping Blake’s grasps, because he was far more interesting when he was picking his own songs.
    5) James Wolpert – He probably needed another tender moment to connect with the audience, but that wasn’t the direction he went. Compared to past rockers like Juliet Simms and Terry McDermott, something seems less genuine about James. He sang just fine, but he hasn’t been distinguishing himself as an artist beyond “singer of classic rock.”
    Predictions: I would be ecstatic if Jacquie, Tessanne, and Will were the Final Three, as they have been my personal favorite three since Top 20. Based on tonight, I genuinely feel that those three deserve to be the Final Three, personal preferences aside. I think that James is pretty much a lock to go home. Cole should be the other one, but if he sells on iTunes the way he has sold in the past, he may be getting a boost, which would send someone else, likely Jacquie or Will, to the bottom two. I know TVLine users seem to prefer Will in general, but Jacquie is young and is the kind of singer who often wins these kinds of competitions on “Idol” and other singing competitions. Therefore, I think it SHOULD be Cole and James going home, but I sadly think it might be Will and James.

Comment by Jim – December 9, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am fairly sure those will be the final three. I immediately voted for all three of them, although I think Jacquie’s emotions (especially for such a sensitive song) will be more believable and less forced in a few years.

Comment by MC – December 10, 2013 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has pretty much nothing to do with how everyone did tonight, but I am just so annoyed I needed to say something. I am sick of Christina trying to rewrite the meanings of songs to fit whatever theme she is pushing on her contestants. She did it with Hallelujah by saying it was getting back to Matthew’s church roots (yeah, soooo not what that song is about) and she did it again tonight when she tried to explain that Angel is an innocent, naive song. No. It was written about musicians succumbing to pressure and becoming heroin users. It isn’t innocent. It is a warning song and it is haunting and beautiful because of that. I am ready for Christina to be gone again. Ok. Rant over.

Comment by Sara – December 9, 2013 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please let Cole be in the Top 3! I swear I will be a good girl and stop smiling seductively at my shirtless pool boy!

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – December 9, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 4. Tessanne Chin – Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Voice Performance)
    8. Jacquie Lee – Angel (The Voice Performance)
    12. Will Champlin – Carry On (The Voice Performance)
    13. Cole Vosbury – Shameless (The Voice Performance)
    17. James Wolpert – With Or Without You (The Voice Performance)

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Btw, Jacquie stalled at #11 for a while. I think the hurdles for Will and Cole are “Royals” and “Demons”.

Comment by Clement – December 9, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Tessanne, Jacquie and Will deserve to be the final three without a doubt. I think that Will has showed the most growth and best work ethic throughout the entire show. I would be thrilled with any of these three winning but I am rooting for Will!

Comment by Emily S – December 9, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No matter what the writer of this article says, the results speak for itself. Most people who voted Tessanne’s performance as being the best of the night. Hence, she should have gotten an A+ for her performance!! Anyway, people have their motives and will forever try to promote a singer based on their own personal feelings rather than the real truth that is staring them in the face…..

Comment by Monique – December 9, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Will – Finally, it took weeks for him to come out of his shell (at least a little bit). An interesting song choice & interpretation of the song. I am very curious to hear the studio version.

2. Tessanne – Meant every word she sang and took her sweet time to caress every note. Didn’t like the song.

3. Jacquie – Finally less screeching. She really has a nice tone when she’s not belting it out. The music is too fast for this song though.

4. Cole – Good song and good start. He was pushing it in the latter half.

5. James – Song suits him and his voice so well but something’s missing. No sense of urgency this time. Goodbye James. :(

Prediction: James & Cole

P.S. I wouldn’t mind if all of Adam’s team advance to the finals. Then again, I’m not that delusional. :p

Comment by spongebob – December 9, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post