The Voice Season 5 Semifinal Performance Recap: Keep Calm and 'Carry On' [Updated]

The Voice Will Champlin Carry OnCan People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive” (*With a Current Project to Promote/Not Named Idris Elba) be stopped?

That’s the question surrounding The Voice Season 5 semifinals, seeing how coach Adam Levine hasn’t lost a single contestant since Nov. 7 (aka Top 20 results night) (aka for freakin’ ever).

RELATED | The Voice: 25 Song Suggestions to Make Season 5 More Surprising (and Delightful)

Of course, perhaps the even bigger question is whether membership on any coach’s team means anything at all. I mean, fans of NBC’s reality singing huggernaut — a typo, but that seems apt given all the positive vibrations, no? — have heard each member of the Top 5 perform 10 individual solo numbers over the last few months.

So shouldn’t it be more about the future potential pop stars than the already established ones? Should it be held against Jacquie Lee, for example, that her mentor Christina Aguilera turned her critique of James Wolpert into a mini rant about how she’s the one who should’ve been singing U2′s “With or Without You”? (Insert eye roll here.) Would anyone enamoured of Cole Vosbury’s gruff voice (and silky beard) withhold their vote to prevent Blake Shelton from nabbing his fourth consecutive win on the show? Is anyone more appreciative of Will Champlin, Tessanne Chin or the aforementioned Mr. Wolpert because Adam Levine (allegedly) cooked ‘em eggs for brekkie? (Side note: If Adam truly did rock the kitchen, how the heck did NBC’s camera crew fail to capture it? File under: #CookingIsSexy4Real.)

RELATED | The Voice‘s Caroline Pennell on Tackling Bieber, Rocking ‘Royals,’ Accepting Cee Lo’s Laid-Back Coaching: ‘Everyone Else Was Standing Up’

Forgive me. This recap has devolved into tragic hashtag territory. Who do I think I am? Mariah #Pow Carey? #Ugh #It’sBeenALongSeason #HelpMeIdolStartsInJustAMonth

JACQUIE LEE ANGEL THE VOICEOK, it’s clearly time for me to get to the hard work of assigning letter grades for tonight’s performances:

James Wolpert (Team Adam): U2′s “With or Without You” — Grade: B- | Maybe James was bummed about getting stuck in the undesirable leadoff position — after last week’s Bottom 2, no less — but his performance tonight lacked the haunted urgency and the desperate ache required to sell the lyrics he was delivering. Not only that, but James also struggled with his pitch, especially in the opening third of the song when he wasn’t in full-on belting mode. There’s no doubt the guy has some genuine vocal talent, but his semifinal performance had an aura of defeat enveloping it — kind of like he’d been sent to chop down a sapling with a pair of basic household scissors.

Will Champlin (Team Adam): fun.’s “Carry On” — Grade: A | I’m not going to try to pretend Will didn’t make a couple of mistakes tonight — particularly on that one glory note in his upper register. But minor sins can be washed away, especially when they’re being blasted by a virtual fire-hose of emotions and sanded down with the grit and gravel of a voice that’s full of character and mystery. I know, I know, this paragraph is a being brought to you by the word “excessive,” but the combination of fun.’s stirring anthem and Will’s newfound freedom — the freedom to smile, the freedom to truly lose himself in the music, perhaps even the freedom to imagine winning this whole thing — was truly invigorating.

Jacquie Lee (Team Xtina): Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” — Grade: A- | This just in: Jacquie Lee does not need to be at Diva Defcon One to stay on pitch or to properly communicate the emotions of a song. Despite Xtina’s goofy insistence that “Angel” is sweet and innocent, I felt like Jacquie cut straight to the heart of a mournful ballad about a tortured soul finally succumbing to addiction. The purity and clarity of the airy opening half gave me a serious case of the shivers, and while Jacquie’s detractors will almost surely call “blasphemy!’ on her choice to go for the glory notes and tear into phrases like “dark cold hotel room” and “in the arms of the angels” after the key change, I appreciated that she took a risk and stepped away from McLachlan’s template, choosing her own more intense path rather than keepin’ it ethereal start to finish. Loss is a complicated thing, after all, with grief and anger and acceptance and relief all operating on the same plane. And despite two or three wobbly notes, Jacquie absolutely brought all of those emotions to the stage tonight. Here’s hoping she’s rewarded for it with a spot in the finale.

Cole Vosbury (Team Blake): Billy Joel/Garth Brooks’ “Shameless” — Grade: B | With so much riding on this single performance, I was hoping Cole might take a chance and overhaul a pop or R&B ditty to fit his roots-rock-n-soul style, but as Blake has proven in the past few seasons, big, bold moves aren’t always synonymous with winning. And so we got Cole behind the piano for one of the least hook-y songs in the Billy Joel repertoire, with the impressively bearded fella using his cedar-smoked rasp to infuse the tune with a little extra oomph. Surprisingly, the usually spotless Cole hit a series of flat notes once he stood up and tried to get his rockstar on, but if I’m being honest, the bigger problem was that — like a dark-colored minivan in a shopping-mall parking lot on Black Friday — there was nothing in particular about this performance to make it stand out.

Tessanne Chin (Team Adam): Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” — Grade: A- | Based on the length and power of her final glory note alone — honestly, that was Shelley-Winters-underwater-in-The-Poseidon-Adventure-level breath control — Tessanne should (and likely will) advance to the finale. But focusing on her grand finale alone would rob Tessanne of the credit she deserves for a vocal that was so regal, I half expected Queen Elizabeth to hop on stage and pop a crown on it. (I know, I know, that sentence went off into the woods and never came back.) If I’m being nitpicky (and I have it an A-, so you know I am), I was more impressed/astonished by Tessanne this week than I was moved/stirred — I still feel like sometimes there’s a hint of reserve preventing us from seeing everything the former background vocalist has to give — but who knows? Maybe the early-front-runner who lost momentum post-Knockouts and has been slowly building back to contending status, is just saving a little somethin’ somethin’ for next week.

Should Go Home: James, Cole
Will Go Home: Honestly, I’d just be guessing at this point.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Top 5 performance night? Who absolutely must make the finale? Who will and should get booted? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. Ralph says:

Jacquie an A-? Come on…

• TC says:

Agree. I don’t thing she’s nearly as good as the grades she gets from Slezak. And I’m baffled that Will ( who I do like) got a higher ranking than Tessane. Her performance tonight was the best of the season so far

• Teeny Bikini says:

Michael will only give Tessanne an A if she changes her name to Jacquie Lee. He probably gave an A- for song choice… again. That seems to be the only thing he can critique her on. I’m on to you, Michael ;)

• Tyler says:

LOL. Couldn’t agree with you more. IMO Tessanne gave the BEST performance of the night. Followed closely behind by Will. I thought Adam made excellent song choices. If Tessanne or Will wins it this season, it’s a huge thanks to Adam.

• wealthypeople22 says:

Recommended Service: RïchFïšhes.örg – Meet and Date wealthy people here now!

• Yo says:

Tessane made “Bridge” a big song. Not everything needs to be a big song; in fact, some of us prefer them a little more subtle. Tessane did a technically marvelous performance, but she needs feeling and I don’t feel her.

• LG says:

No, she would have to change her name to Haley Reinhart.

• Nedsdag says:

Tessanne deserved an A and Jacquie Scream deserves a B+ for her waking up the dead screech at the end of the song. It’s a subtle song, heifer, not a belter song.

• HTGR says:

Tessanne made her song from folksier to belty and her last note was all belt for hours so why is that OK then? Maybe you like what she did a lot better, whatever, I didn’t, you did, but how do you make it all about being belty and changing a song when she belted more and changed her song overall more?

• Tyler says:

Paul Simon intended Bridge to be a gospel-like song. That’s why there are a choir and piano in the original recording. I think it’s all right for Tesssanne to belt out a gospel-like song. IMO it made it more soulful. On the other hand, I don’t think the Sarah MacLachlan song was meant to be a power ballad. That’s the difference.

• MC says:

@Tyler – Very well said. I voted for both of them, but Tessanne was more believable imo. Jacquie is going to be so much better in a few years when she can process the emotions of these songs in a variety of ways. There’s a baseball analogy here. Jacquie is working on her curveball and changeup pitches, but really only trusts her fastball at this time.

• Couldn’t agree more. I was positively cringing by the way Jacquie was closing out ‘Angel.’ Sometimes less is more, as they say.

• mikezenti@live.com says:

Jacquie gave the best, and she is the best

• Ralph says:

No, you don’t agree with me. I was implying she deserved an A+. That, right there, was the performance of the entire series.

• I actually would’ve said that about Underneath It All. I’ve been listening to it on repeat for two weeks.

• HTGR says:

+1 haha I figured as much.

• Tom22 says:

I found Jaquie performance sublime too (that means movingly beautiful beyond words — like I feel a a wedding seeing a young couple commencing on the next stage of thieir life’s saga optimistically etc) . It leaves me feeling that the world is big and wonderful despite it’s fragile nature… we’ll know they’re is more ahead ? lol Ok guess it’s Christmas time !

I loved the band and arrangement etc.. but that takes a singer too… one feeds off the other .. they need to echo and precurse the style of the individual singer (who they’ve had time to know through practice) which they did wonderfully. Jaqcies a real distinct sense of rhythm and flow that is both distinct to her and logically fits whatever interpretation of song she does with none of it being a gratuitous run that hasn’t been precursed or built towards. Meaning ? lyrics don’t build the meaning, the singer has a vision and expresses it… I Imagine many African Americans conjure images or their share cropper ancestors or the self resolve of Rosa Parks when they sing the National Anthem.. others might think of their grandparents on the ferry, or escaping a totalitarian machine.. or serving in our armed forces. The national anthem is not about it’s words exactly nor is any song.. they’re all allegorical.

I thought each and every performance tonight was special.. each musician intent on supporting each other and building with the singer (and the singer taking the rythmic cues given and flourishing atop them. Great Night. .. tonight. I have my favorites because Of how I relate to them. I know which two I’ll be listening two a year from now on my stereo/phone and to me thats the real test.. will I love that performance two years from now after listening to every note and breath dozens of times? .. its not perfection but the humanness Cee Lo so often tries to put to words… and we all might connect to one more than another.

• sara says:

I agree with the both of you. Michael seems to be hearing something in Jacquie Lee that simply is not there. Sorry Slezak, but Jacquie Lee is not Alison Iraheta. Alison can sing. All I ever hear from Jacquie is screetching. I do not get the constant pimping for that girl.

• Ralph says:

I think Jacquie Lee is actually better than Allison Iraheta (with two Ls). And I love her voice. But Jacquie Lee is in a whole other league.

• sara says:

Sorry, but no. Jacquie Lee screetches, not sings. There is a difference. A rather huge one.

• Tyler says:

How can anyone screech a Sarah MacLachlan song?! That’s what I want to know.

• Laura says:

I agree – Jacquie is a screecher. I do not believe anything that she does.

• carl says:

I am just sad to see matthew scholar go home. he was really good but not very consistent, but still good. i do not like james wolpert. I think jaquie lee will win, if not, tessanne chin james wolpert will go home next.

• scrutinizer says:

i agree with sara…allison was much more convincing and heartfelt in her husky voiced rendition of cry baby. i would much rather listen to allison any day over jacqui. and i’m really surprised that michael, who is a big fan of allison, didn’t give her a shout out as to her unforgettable version of that song on idol.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Tonight I thought Jacquie was pretty awesome. The apparently contagious screechy virus has been passed onto Will Champlin.

• carl says:

I ment matthew schuler with a u

• Memi says:

You’re crazy all JL does is screech. The girl can’t girl can’t sing and she can’t hold a candle to TC. The real singers on the voice are TC, WC and CV the rest can go home.

• Kaba says:

This is such an unbelievably poor and useless statement.
            Please. PLEASE come back to me when you have a better and more solid argument aside from what you’ve heard others define for you.

• HTGR says:

@memi – objective truth is she very cleary did not do nothing but screech tonight, you are just randomly picking terms to hate on someone then, maybe you didn’t like how she performed it, but then at least say why or just leave it at that, instead of tossing nonsense about how she screeched non-stop, it almost comes across as catty since it wasn’t based upon anything vocal. At leave it to you didn’t like how she styled it and didn’t like how a few parts were louder and higher pitched. Especially since Will actually strained on some high notes tonight and missed more but then you say he was perfect tonight (and I like Will and I’m not hating on Tessanne either, usually, she just doesn’t do it for me as much as Jacquie but I hardly saying she stinks or is some miserable non-stop screecher or something either, heck I even gave her 2nd the last two weeks).
            anyway i won’t say any more since there is no point

• HTGR says:

Seriously, even after THIS week you are STILL going to bring out the nothing but screeching thing????? What is your definition of screetching because I do not think that word means what you think that word means if you could with a straight face say that that is what she did tonight. She had the most interesting timbre along with Cole this week for much of the song and she had the most delicate notes of anyone this week (Tessanne had a few too).

• Angie_Overrated says:

I wouldn’t take what this chick says too seriously. It’s obviously an emotional argument with zero objectivity. You can call Jacquie’s performance overwrought or emotionally inappropriate, but screechy is just… weird. It’s obviously not an objective assessment of the performance.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, exactly, she doesn’t have to like her or what she did but to say it was screechy to start to finish is flat out objectively wrong (in a realm where most things are at least somewhat subjective) and it’s even more ludicrous when she had probably the highest number of delicate notes this week of anyone, if anything.

• Mori_Samuel says:

i will tell you the definition of screechy, Put the sound waves of jacquies high notes and say Tessannes high notes or even better Will’s high notes, you can match they frequency of her high notes to the sound of scratching you nails against a chalk board. Not being a hater here, I am just telling you the definition of screechy with a straight face

• HTGR says:

Jacquie did very few of those types of notes tonight though so even if you don’t like them how can you say that is all she did tonight from start to finish and that is all she can do? That is simple as objectively wrong as trying to say 1+1=1000. Will actually did more notes like that tonight and one could argue that James has done more over the course the season. But that is besides the point. She simple did NOT do those types of notes start to finish tonight, whatever you think of them (and I think James has had that at least as much and has done ones like that quite a few times, it could be resonances in your speakers that make the same sort of note hit sound shrieky from one than from another, I have one set of speakers that makes this one violin bit kind of grating but on my headphones and other speaks the same part isn’t grating at all). It’s fair if you don’t like those notes and even fair if you like them less from here, but it’s not fair to say, since it’s objectively wrong, that is all she did start to finish tonight and that that is all she has ever done and all she can do, since it’s not remotely true from a purely objective standpoint. And, personally, I think she has controlled her notes like that a higher percentage of the time than most of the others when they have done similar type (although she did totally lose control on some about 2/3rds into her second song last week). I thought Tessanne actually hit more high belted less smoothly bell toned tonight even. Maybe you can argue about the last two things I wrote there but not the start to finish bit about tonight.

• Mori_Samuel says:

*your nails

• Angie_Overrated says:

Thanks for schooling us, Mori_Samuel. You are aware that the physics of sound means that all sound waves have an amplitude that corresponds to a tone, right? So you can theoretically match the screeching of a chalk board tone (or from any sound source, including a creaky door or a choleric baboon) to a Pavarotti high C from La Fille du Regiment.

• Mori_Samuel says:

Angie_overrated, I may not be well versed in sounds though but i thought that Frequency defines the amplitude. If you going to base it, her voice (Her high pitches) Doesnt correspond to Pavarotti high C and neither does a chalkboard screeching sound. However, the above comment was made only after normalizing the sound waves to chalk board screeching sound.

• HTGR says:

Frequency doesn’t determine amplitude. Frequency is the pitch (of course most things produce complex sounds and you get something far more complex than a single sine wave, so you’d have a main tone and then tons of other tones mixed in at lower amplitude). Amplitude is the volume. They have nothing to do with one another (unless you get into considerations like that the ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies, etc. but that’s tangential).

• Angie_Overrated says:

I don’t know if this is a language barrier issue, but I have no idea what you’re talking about now. A high C from me rustling a balloon is the same high C an opera singer would sing. What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense from a physics or music perspective.

• Mori_Samuel says:

You call it language barrier just to defend your favorite. You have to understand that some people find it screeching like you might find Caroline pennell boring and annoying. Besides, I understand the amplitude which means the note but certain sharp pitches which tends to be very unpleasant corresponds to the same frequency as a squeaking door.

• Mori_Samuel says:

By the way, i apologize if you can’t accept the fact that some find her high notes screeching. Others also have opinions, I respect yours and i would appreciate if you could appreciate mine.

• HTGR says:

I can accept that and/or if you think she has done those notes too often but I can’t accept people saying that is all she is able to do and especially that that is all she did tonight since she didn’t even do a lot of those notes tonight and the whole first chunk and ending I don’t think even had any of those notes at all. And it seems stranger when the same person will accuse her of doing nothing but that tonight (even though she didn’t) and then say others were perfect (when some did even more of those types of notes and hit more off pitch, granted maybe when they do it, either due to your speakers or your ears it doesn’t bother you, fine, that last part can even be subjective to a point). She actually had a very delicate, rich, full timbre, for many of the many quiet and other notes tonight.
            Again, it is one thing to say you don’t like her timbre when she belts high notes or you don’t like that style that goes there a lot, but it’s quite another to say that all of her high belted notes are out of control and/or off-pitch and it’s even far quite another to say that is all she has ever done and that she can’t do anything else and it’s way even farther quite another to say that that is all she did tonight when she very clearly did not blast out notes like that start to finish tonight. If that is the only thing you can come up with to say about her tonight than you are judging her for something other than vocals. Maybe you didn’t like what was done with it, if you didn’t what can I say, but that is something far different than just saying oh she just screeched from beginning to end tonight, she’s not a real singer like the others, come on, that is objectively, factually not true. You are just bashing her and not even paying attention to her vocals at that point.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I do respect people’s opinions, but if someone tells me the sky is green and the ocean is purple, I can’t find it in me to agree. I think you might be mistaken what the word “screechy” means. I appreciate that English seems to not be your first language and I appreciate that you may not find Jacquie Lee’s tone pleasant to your ear, but to call her performance tonight “screechy” is objectively incorrect.

• Mori_Samuel says:

Well! We have opinions, we will enjoy what we both enjoy and forget about what we don’t . I found her screechy when she sang “ARMS ….ARMS…ARMS” . Peace!

• Kaba says:

Lol. That was screechy? LOL

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, mori, I mean no disrespect when I say I think you need to look up the word “screechy.” I fully appreciate that that segment of Jacquie’s song didn’t work for you for whatever reason, but to call that “screechy” isn’t the right word you’re looking for.

• Mori_Samuel says:

@kaba yes, Its like how annoying it would be listenning to Adam Levine’s song except Moves like jagger, When you have a bad headache!
            @angie_overrated, could i say that she has a high pitch singing voice and when takes a big notes she is unpleasant to hear sometimes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, except her voice isn’t high pitched at all. She’s a mezzo at the highest, and even that might be aggressively high for her. I do give you credit for finding Adam Levine’s music painful. On that particular issue we can agree! That “I really wanna love somebody” song makes me want to do terrible things.

• Mori_Samuel says:

I guess his only good song was, moves like jagger and She will loved, rest all seem to be too high pitch. He is around for his looks, wonder how long it will last.
            I am not sure about her voice (Jacquie) for me she seem high pitch voice, i liked stompa (The intensity was good) and duet with “house of the rising sun”(This is one of my fav song). I am sorry but i like season 3 more, Amanda brown, Melanie Martinez, Bryan keith, Luke edgemon and Spanish girl who sang Loca. I learnt a lot of new songs…

• Kaba says:

You’ve fused season 3 and 4 together

• debi says:

Sometimes Jacquie sounds very good and then she screeches. I have to mute a lot when I listen to her because it is so irritating. None of the final 5 appeal to me, but I would have to say of the five, Tessanne is the best, though I wouldn’t buy any of her songs. Last season was the best of The Voice and this is the worst. IMO

• Jim says:

Get a hearing aid. Will screeches trying to hit high notes. simply put, Jacquie hits the high notes. Tonight’s performance was just what she needed. Jacquie showed she could hit the angelic, emotional, and softer tones. Jacquie will only get better as she matures. BTW, are you just jealous of a 16 year old or are you just prejudiced. Every week you say the same thing. Try being objective and creative.

• Lilly says:

Maybe we need to define “screeching”. I was a big fan of Danielle’s young talent last season, and I admit that Jacquie is even more talented. She DOES hit her mega-notes, for the most part. But I still would rather see Will and even James make it to the final above her (yea, I know it isn’t happening). I’m just tired of every song being something she has to “belt” out the notes. Last night that song could have been tender and powerful, but she still just felt the need to do her impression of a mini-Christina, especially at the end.
            I’ll be honest, though, this competition – and maybe even the production of the show itself – does not lend itself to any tender notes. The singer always comes across as weak or quiet. And I’m not convinced it’s always the singer. The loud, “screaming”, diva singing notes make more of an impact.

• ultimatestandard says:

what’s wrong with all you people. Put bias aside. Tess is easily the best.

• Memi says:

Thank God I thought I was the only who thought JL was screeching like nails in a chalk board

• Angie_Overrated says:

I think you need a new faux-slam. The screechy thing only works when she’s actually screechy. Listen to Will’s performance tonight. That’s screeching. There was a great line on Arrested Development when all of Jason Bateman’s family members were trying to imitate a chicken and they all sounded idiotic. He said, “has anyone in this family ever even heard a chicken cluck before?” I feel like it’s that situation but with screeching.

• Clearly, screechy is the wrong word here. Let’s substitute it with “yelly,” even though that isn’t a word.

Jacquie can really deliver some lines with interesting phrasing and tone, but man, does she yell a lot of others.

• Angie_Overrated says:

That’s been my criticism of Jacquie in previous weeks is that she only sounds good when her volume is cranked up to 9.5 out of 10. I was pleasantly surprised that she sounded better than decent on some of the softer moments tonight. Huge improvement from her “Clarity” disaster.

• Sybil says:

I think she terrible.. She yells. She doesn’t sing. She trashed the Janis Joplin song as well as the others.

• gregk says:

My wife and I are also tired of Jacquie’s screaming and her “Angel” was a travesty. I’ve heard several more elegant, gentle covers, especially Jackie Evancho’s truly sublime one on her album. Allison was a much better singer, especially her powerful version of Heart’s “Alone” that blew me away. Tessane was good but not great; Clay Aiken’s Bridge Over Troubled Water on American Idol was one of the best ever perfomances.

• MC says:

It is very important to have a frame of reference (one or more previous versions that you really enjoy) when hearing these covers. I always try to have a reference point that is completely outside the realm of reality singing shows, but I have to agree that Clay did justice to this brilliant song (“Bridge Over Troubled Water”). I liked Tessanne’s version more than you did, but I probably prefer Clay’s version when comparing the two of them. I also wanted more elegance from Jacquie’s version of “Angel,” but I would stop short of calling it a travesty. I do think Jacquie is a few years away from realizing her potential, but she is an interesting work in progress.

• MC says:

One more thing about Jacquie. I was thinking during her performance tonight about being transported to a future five years from now. You can hear Jacquie’s versions of “Angel” from 2013 and 2018; you have both versions in front of you. Which version will be better? Which version will be on repeat play? I’m betting the hypothetical 2018 version will be considerably more refined, more subtle and more profoundly emotional than the 2013 version.

• mikezenti@live.com says:

“Travesty?????” I’m confused now, because unless I’m color blind I saw gorgeous and talented. And I think you need to expand your genre’s of music. Honestly I hated rock and metal when I first heard it but they are my favorites now…. and I was a straight A kid in high school. So please don’t judge on the screaming and take it for what it is. A powerful emotion in a song. All music can be good.

• jdurbs says:

It’s screeching. No t. Just some help for next week’s criticism of Jacquie Lee.

• Patricia says:

“All I ever hear from Jacquie is screetching . I do not get the constant pimping for that girl.”

That is your opinion….so she is not your taste, quit trying to shove your vitriol down everyone’s throat. So you don’t like her….it’s OK and it is also Ok if some of us do like her. It does not make us a “pimp” when we express our positive opinion about her singing.

• mikezenti@live.com says:

Screeching implies annoying to most people, and what pimping are you talking about anyways?? She is 16 right? and at least seems like a really nice woman. I wish I had a thesaurus because there are better words to describe her energy. You guys should really try and appreciate it, because what if another Jacquie look-alike comes into your life and that’s her style? Best to be able to fit in and enjoy as much as you can

• mikezenti@live.com says:

It’s the energy and power of what she is getting across. I do agree she needs to practice and tune it. But that happens to everyone, especially for a 16 year old girl!!! Do me a favor, think of a rock lyric, one of my favorites goes “load the six-pounder!!!!’. Just try to get those 3 words good enough for a national TV show, and then maybe you realize why when you only see the energy she is putting out, the slight flaw in her scream might not really mean a darn thing. It’s like 99.9 percent. when you take into consideration all the good things and then add that in there. I mean what else do you think she needs to work on? I would like to argue, and she would probably like some constructive criticism, so by all means….

• HTGR says:

Are you sure Ralph wasn’t complaing that the A- was too low??
        That was a beautiful and delicate performance! Performance of the night!
        I’m stunned he gave her only an A- this week!

• Claudia Hodge says:

As good as Tessanne was, I’ve heard Bridge Over Troubled Waters sung MUCH better than she did it. The original singer, Art Garfunkel for one. I thought Will was the best tonight. I usually buy Cole’s downloads too but not tonight. He wasn’t quite up to par. Jacquie is overrated IMO – she has the potential for sure but I don’t think she’s there yet.

• dj says:

I have to admit, I like Art Garfunkel’s version better, too, although I think Tessane is a great singer. I like to hear different versions of songs I love, but I think that over-drawn-out note kind of soured me on the performance. I’ll have to check it out in iTunes and see if it improves on me.

• the real wendy says:

What about CLAY AIKEN? Not a big fan of his but I thought it was so much more emotionally beautiful. I thought Tessanne was OK> Jacqie isn’t screechy – she is screamy. Majorly talented though for the most part.

• myenise says:

Why do you Jacquie haters keep screeching about her so much, its becoming tiresome, and I can imagine you going through life with your noses open. Of course Jacquie is extremely talented as are the rest of the contestants at this stage of the competition. Having said that, there is no doubt that the find of the season is Alex and Sierra.

• RedInDenver says:

Song choice is EVERYTHING at this point; and “Bridge Over Troubled Water” is one of the most amazing songs ever written.

To TRULY grade PERFORMANCES, all contestants should have to sing the SAME song. That way, you’re not comparing apples and oranges…. But that would probably be pretty tiring — hearing the same song, sung over and over; so will never happen.

I wish at least that the contestants would sing similar songs in terms of type and vocal range requirements.

• MGB says:

I agree! Tessane’s performance was the best of the night! She deserved the highest grade. Come on, Mike- grade fair.

• mikezenti@live.com says:

To be completely honest, Tessane’s was not my favorite, she has a SUPERB voice no doubt but that Back in Black song I think was called was actually my favorite once i listened to it for the second time. But you gotta understand, just like I told some one a minute ago, I like rock and metal (melodic metal is actually what its called) so I’m used to a different genre.

• Lumplestilskin says:

Judging from iTunes, it looks like James and Will are the ones going home tomorrow.

• Ed says:

I would’ve given her a B. Her performance was too forced.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I appreciated that she tried something aside from screaming – and it was most successful. Quite beautiful, really. A- seems about right. She’s killing iTunes right now…

• “Screaming” wasn’t a problem this week, but that weird 5-second scatting ad-lib was. “In the arms, in the arms in the ARMS of an angel…”

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL, Matthew. I totally remember that. It was um… creative, but pretty much unnecessary. It did take me right out of the performance for just a second… :)

• The Beach says:

“unnecessary” is the perfect word for what that was and yep, it did take away from the performance (not a fan of this maudlin song) and seemed thrown in there strictly for effect.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Lol Yeah, she took it to church, which wasn’t entirely appropriate. At least she sounded good doing it. There were a few wonky moment tonight, and that was definitely top 5. The arrangements in general were rather strange across the board.

• kcostell says:

Once Jacquie reached the key change I burst out laughing at how outrageously overwrought the performance was getting.

Less is more!

• The Beach says:

Terrible song choice, Christina.

• kate says:

I would get rid of Jacquie too that was actually cringe worthy. It is supposed to be a quiet power song. I mean has she seen the ASPCA commercial?

• Mary says:

I would of given it a B+, yes she hit all the notes, beautiful voice but I thought she over sang it. That song should be subdue, for me less is more. I do think she should make the final but wasn’t wow with that performance as everyone else was. The finals should be Jacquie, Tessanne and Will.

• ultimatestandard says:

What’s wrong with all you people. Put bias aside. Tess is the best.

• Lyn says:

Jacquie is overrated. By Christina alone.

• Wit says:

Last night I watched Monday’s performances again. Tessanne was sublime; while Jacquie and Will’s performances, while I liked them, were a bit overwrought.

2. I was rooting for Will, but I thought his performance was very pitchy. My mom LOVED it, on the other hand.

3. Kaba says:

Didn’t hear Will or James..but the lack of roar from Twitter makes me think they weren’t all that.
    Saw the last…20 seconds of Jacquie’s performance and for the most part I liked what I heard.
    Started watching Cole..started ignoring Cole…started watching Cole again once I heard him actually take a song up a notch. Enjoyed
    Tessanne is bae <3 That was lovely.

From the looks of it. The women kicked bum tonight though.

• Teeny Bikini says:

James and Will went first, that certainly didn’t help them. James’s voice seems tired to me. I think he wore it out with all of the screaming…

• Laura says:

I absolutely love James. I don’t think he’ll make the finale, but he is fantastic.

• Janiecanuck says:

He deserves to make the finale and I hope we get a big surprise tommorrow!

• sg54 says:

I love James, and though I do believe tomorrow may be his time to go I wish both Michael and the public would give him due credit! His voice is wonderful and every studio recording has been outstanding!
          Anyhoo, there are several performances I’ve absolutely love from Jacquie (i.e. Stompa!) but this was definitely not one of them. Think Kree Harrison’s version of Angel. Soft, moving, gets the message and mood of the song. Jacquie ripped the soul of that song and just did whatever with it, which isn’t the point.
          I think it’s going to be Cole, Jacquie and Tessanne (not my fav but TOTALLY deserves it!!!!!!!!!!!) but I wish Will could replace Cole, probably not going to happen anymore.
          As a 16 year old, I wished that Christina would make Jacquie seem a little more youthful. I can’t imagine anything she’s sung this season besides Stompa and her darker songs reach the mainstream audience, which is a shame because she really does have potential. I wonder why Michael hasn’t addressed this yet?

• Kaba says:

Yeah…so I don’t get that.
        All of team Adam and Jacquie have many songs where they’re practically singing at the wits end of their vocal registers. But because Jacquie’s is much, MUCH more distinct and juvenile she’s berated for screaming.Someone needs to call out Will for God’s sake. He’s guilty of it in the sense that he goes mega out of tune whenever he does.

• Angie_Overrated says:

There has been a lot of screaming this season. I’d be curious to hear what Will, James, Matthew and Jacquie sound like when they’re not in a competition. The screaming is grating on my nerves as of late.

• Kaba says:

I can tolerate it because I’ve grown up listening to that type of singing. So I hardly ever see it as a problem. The only time I’ve waved the “screamer” flag was when Christina was on her stubborn ish in past seasons and wanted to make every song a party.

4. TC says:

Seriously, if Tessane doesn’t win this thing, then there is no justice. No one comes close to her talent

• Teeny Bikini says:

She is amazeballs! Tessanne Chin for the win :)

• Ed says:

I agree, but, unfortunately, Jacquie probably has an insurmountable fan base.

• I disagree. I love Jacquie Lee, but she is as polarizing a singer as Adam Lambert was, and maybe even more. It’s a great thing to deliver love-it-or-hate-it performances in the early rounds, because it motivates fans to vote like crazy and usually gets you to the finals. But once the field is trimmed to three, it becomes more of a disadvantage, because the people who are generally liked by every fanbase and aren’t hated by anyone will start gathering the most votes by simple math.

• JM says:

Amen to that!

• The Beach says:

I wonder what Adam was referring to regarding some tough things Tessanne was going through that got edited out. I noticed neither her parents nor her fiance were there tonight.

• J. M. Godfrey says:

It’s all about voting, I’ve been on a serious cross county marketing campaign since about 9:05

• Tessanne was just sheer perfection. She seems so comfortable on stage………such a joy to watch and listen to. She is by far, the best of the lot.

• MC says:

I think Tessanne has proven that she’s the best singer out of these five people. Jacquie might have the most potential years down the line, but Tessanne is the one to watch right now.

• Tom22 says:

If you can listen to Tessanes music over and over again.. good for you. If you say.. “hey that’s techinically great, but i really don’t care to listen to it more than a few times” well, then you’re judging music by a different metric.. or maybe you’re just judging singing on some techinical basis? For many of us , the quality of a performance comes down to whether or not you want to listen to it. . if you prefere Tesanne but wouldn’t want to listen to any.. well why vote? notthing has met the threshold for you to say you like it?

• MC says:

We’re only eliminating two singers tonight, so I voted for the three best ones imo. I voted for Jacquie, Will and Tessanne. I was not very enthralled with anyone in the top ten or top sixteen this season. I am therefore choosing the best purely on technical merit and consistency. By those criteria, I think Tessanne is easily the best from this season’s top sixteen. I don’t press repeat play on very many reality show singers. I have listened to five acts frequently in the last year or so. Candice, Carly, 5H, Danielle and Holly Henry. That’s about it. I do think Tessanne, Jacquie and Will all have something to offer, but Tessanne is closest to her full potential right now.

5. Better Sundays says:

Will had fun with fun. You happy now, Michael?

6. Canadian Fan says:

My prediction: James and Will are going home.

• Lumplestilskin says:

iTunes backs up your guess.

• Flygrrl40 says:

I hope Will sticks around. It’s between he and Cole, I think, who just happened to have an “okay” night.
      The thing with James, imo, is that I think he’s kind of plateaued. He had this cool vibe going in the beginning as the “geeky” guy with the great voice – kinda-thing. Now he’s sort of leveled-off as a Theatre Dude with some vocal chops. At least that’s how it feels to me. And that’s just not enough to keep my attention AND keep him in the game.

7. analythinker says:

Finally! An A for Will!

• Teeny Bikini says:

But maybe not on the right performance… I heard a few bum notes in there. I hope he pulls through though… I really dig his voice. He’s slightly behind the Cole juggernaut on iTunes (Cole is 52 and Will is 60)… I guess it’s too soon to tell. That’s a really small margin.

• analythinker says:

Well, to be honest, I only watched it on Ricky. Will watch the whole thing a bit later, but I didn’t see people raving abt Cole on my timeline (in fact, it was the opposite), so… ugh.

8. Dan says:

Jacquie Lee will be the top charting artist on iTunes. Mark my words.

9. Ed says:

Neither James’ nor Will’s performances measured up tonight, IMO.

Cole was solid; Jacquie was good but not particularly enjoyable, and Tessanne stole the show.

10. Mafs95 says:

Tessanne – A
    Jacquie – A-
    Will – B+
    James – B
    Cole – B-

11. Teeny Bikini says:

Tessanne’s grade is an A, Michael. Will you ever get that right? :) I like your Top 3 – they were definitely the top of bunch tonight. But Cole’s fan base is pretty dedicated, I would be shocked if he weren’t in the Top 3. They don’t care what he sings. I was impressed with Jacquie’s restraint tonight. I heard some new stuff in her voice that I really liked. But I only care that Tessane’s in the Top 3, as she should be.

Tessanne Chin for the win.

12. Kaba says:

Nonetheless. This week is about anything BUT the top 5 in my mind.
    Michelle Chamuel is coming back tomorrow to perform her single <3
    "Go Down Singing"!

13. Erin says:

I’m a total Jacquie fan, but I agree with everyone who thinks Tessanne had the best night. I still voted for Jacquie as many times as I could, and it seems like she’s doing well on iTunes, but I hope there is room for both Jacquie and Tessanne in the top 3.

14. MAB says:

I think they all did a great job tonight. My favorites what’s actually Jacquie, Will and Tessanne. Yet both Cole and James did well. It’s going to be tough. There may be a shock tomorrow.

15. Lisa says:

Tessanne deserved an A+ imo! Wow… What a flawless, beautiful performance. She gave me chills. Hands down the best performance of the night.

• Ed says:

And, much to the chagrin of Jacquie fans, it was hands down the best performance of the SEASON.

• The Beach says:

Dang, how long was that last note? Wow.

• Maxine says:

Tessanne’s last note was AWESOME!!!! I can’t recall hearing anyone hold a note for that long. She is just an amazing singer and deserves an A+++ for that performance tonight.

• Ginger Snap says:

Tessanne was transcendent. Wherever she was pulling from this performance reminded me of Climb Every Mountain from NBC’s live performance the other night. I felt every word of this song. Maybe she should get Performance of the Week mention here on TVLine.

16. Ed says:

I watched the opening group number on “Sing Off”, and it made me QUICKLY forget about The Voice contestants; I absolutely could not believe how ALL those different groups blended!! Utterly FANTASTIC!!!!!!

• Agreed, the first three performances on The Sing Off was better than anything I have seen on The Voice in over a month.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Totally amazing. I rewound and watched the opening again. I love that show. And I really love Ben Folds’ brain. He’s the best judge of all.

• gregk says:

My wife and I have been waiting for two years to have the Sing Off return and loved it. Better performances than the Voice and all the judges have expert critiques, even Jewel who is much more intelligent than Christina.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I LOVED Jewel. And I love how the judges give very specific opinions that are clearly based in their vast knowledge of their craft. Best and “smartest” judging panel (that actually judges) by far.

17. Sergio says:

The one i most like Tessane by far the one I voted for: Will
    Should go home : cole jacquie
    Will go home : james will :(

18. Morgan says:

An A for Will and A- for Tessanne and Jacquie? Seriously!? Come on Michael what were you listening to?

• Mark Rodriguez says:

Adam shocked everyone when he said it was the first time he saw Wil smile. Wil has a rotten attitude back stage and against the other singers. I am live witness to that. Home he must go.

• mapa says:

Mark Rodriguez, this is the second time Ive read your BS comment on Will’s attitude backstage. You claim you have witnessed this firsthand, please do enlighten us. He seems like a very chill and sweet guy, and this is just a lame attempt to bring him down which reeks of jealousy.

• terri32 says:

Seriously, look at his facial expression he needs a adjustment

• HTGR says:

Who does, Will? I think he’s just reserved and serious. Why does he need an adjustment?

• Kaba says:

Because audiences key in on that. Khaya Cohen on Xfactor (wonderful talent) was harped on for looking bitchy and mean all the time.

• HTGR says:

Well on a reality TV show, perhaps (certainly if female, since he’d already been gone as a nasty B or some other nonsense for sure I bet), although he is still here hah. I thought that person was just blindly attacking him though but I could be wrong, maybe they meant it they way you said above.

• AlyB says:

That’s not what Adam said. He said he liked seeing him smile & enjoy himself because he’s usually very focused, serious & working hard. It bears to note that he’s been singing songs with heavier more serious themes up till now. I follow Will on twitter. He seems like an absolute sweetheart & the other contestants seem to like him just fine. As for your claim to be a witness to what goes in backstage, I don’t believe you. I hope he makes final 3.

• Misilin says:

Give a rest already you are beginning to sound like a broken record. I bet you’re suffering from the same illness. Trying to bring someone down just to make a point is total nonsense.

• Morgan says:

If Will has a bad attitude back stage and towards other contestants is that why Adam never stands for him even when he’s good???

• Sean says:

Funny you would say that, as I actually work on the show, and directly with the contestants week in and week out. I can assure you that neither Will nor any of the contestants this season have bad attitudes (unlike past seasons) and they are all very friendly with one another. Whoever you are Mark, you’re wrong or you’re lying. Either way, if you ask any of the other contestants, they’ll tell you themselves. Will’s quiet and hard working, but a super nice and chill guy.

• Lee says:

Where is Mark Rpdriguez for his rebuttal? What a joke. LOL.

19. sd says:

Is one or two people going home tomorrow? I thought Tessanne was great. Jacquie showed restraint for once and had a good song selection. I also enjoyed Will’s performance.

20. Ally says:

I felt like the show was kind of boring tonight.

• Sergio says:

For me was awesome!! Cole was the only boring

• Tenney says:

I thought the show was boring also. I was bored by all of them except Will. Tessanne… can knock out a power ballad but she has no personality on stage. Jacquie Lee… she’s young, why not try and sing some fun songs that can bring out her personality? James… he’s a great singer but I see no expression in his face when he sings. Cole… I think he could have some potential if Blake would just give him better songs. Will… Will is the only one that has grown on me throughout this competition. I know I am in the minority because everyone seems to love Tessanne and Jacquie Lee, but I find them boring.

• jane albritton says:

Whoa. Tessanne’s personality fills the stage. She doesn’t need a production number going on behind her.

• Stephan says:

I think Tessanne’s songs have left her without much sense of “fun”. Everyone else has had a moment where they got to just enjoy being up there, all of Tess’ songs have been big power numbers or sleepy ballads, so I think it has left her a bit distant to some people.

• Benny says:

See Tessanne’s performance of Underneath it All and tell me again she hasn’t done a fun number…

• Stephan says:

Benny–Underneath It All had some fun moments, but it is the SLEEPIEST hit in the No Doubt catalog.

• Lee says:

Stephan–Tess didn’t sing it at all like the No Doubt song so you can’t call it sleepy. Did you miss the reggae breakdown?

• matt says:

I thought it was a singing competition, not a personality competition.

• With the exception of the No Doubt song, I’ve found every Tessanne performance to be boring. It sucks because I really want to like her, but I try to imagine what a post-Vice Tessanne career would be like and all I can think of is “the female Michael Bolton.” Her material would be good for yuppies who’ve just put the kids to bed and need something to listen to by the fireplace, but what else?

21. Kaba says:

So…has Matthew’s performance of “Hallelujah” officially been lingering in the top 200 better and longer than “Maybe It was Memphis” last season?
    It’s intriguing that he was eliminated after commanding such a listening audience with that performance. Shot to 1 million youtube views like he was Alex&Sierra on Xfactor :0

22. Janiecanuck says:

Okay Michael, just what is it that you have against James!You have him going home almost every week and yet he continues to to hang on in spite of Adam’s weird song choices!
    I actually enjoyed Jacquie this week even though Angel has been pretty much done to death on singing shows! She kept the shrieking to a minimum and actually gave me a few chills along the way!
    I wasn’t thrilled with Will and Cole always bores me so hopefully it will be a Tessane,James and Jacquie finale but it it won’t happen because Cole will probably get the strong country votr

23. Angie_Overrated says:

A for Will?! I am speechless. An A… for Will… Will Champlin… for tonight’s performance?!

• Sergio says:

Yes he was awesome!! After Tessane the second best!!!

• danin says:

Michael you’re delusional.Jamez,Jaquie&Tessanne were the 3 who sang in tune&beautifully all the way through.How in God’s name you can rate Will who wobbled&Cole who was not only boring but flat over James really pisses me off.

• HTGR says:

Yeah I did think Will was hitting a lot more bum notes than usual and a few times his voice sounded a bit worn out (not that you can totally hold the latter against him, they have all been pushed). Adam kept saying that his smile meant that even knew he had finally 100% nailed it though. But I’m think Adam just had to be covering a bit with that comment, since to me, he seemed to miss more notes than usual. Not that missing some notes is necessarily the end of the world though. But it didn’t seem as wow to me as Jacquie or even Tessanne and yeah I really don’t understand how he gave him a higher grade than either of them for sure.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You make a great point that missing a note here and there is not the end of the world. That being said, you can’t miss the money notes. Will missed the money notes. And singers who flub money notes don’t make money! A stray note here and there is forgivable, but tonight was not acceptable, IMO.

• HTGR says:

Yeah, well I certainly agree he was rough on enough stuff that counted that I don’t remotely get how Michael gave him highest of the night, not even close. I was stunned. Especially when you consider that Will has tended to not remotely be Michael’s favorite, so how on this of all nights he suddenly gets the A and gets placed well above the field, I’m stunned. How was that above Jacquie and Tessanne for starters?

• Angie_Overrated says:

No idea, babe. I am just as stunned as you are. I mean, I don’t take any of these shows that seriously, but tonight’s grades are the most confusing I think I’ve ever seen him give. I’m not a huge James fan, but James was way better than Will tonight.

I miss Stephanie Anne Johnson.

• mapa says:

Will had the best, most fun performance of the night!

• Jeremy B says:

I agree, I am very surprised at that grade as well for Will. He has been one of the most consistent singers so far, but he definitely had some flat notes towards the end. He did seem a little looser, happier and less twitchy though. Tessanne won it for me tonight, with Jacquie a close second (even with the overwrought, hyper, bluesy burst towards the end). Thought Cole was the most consistent of the guys. James had a pretty weak opening (nerves in the lower register), but then like many, he got more solid when louder (it’s usually a breath support thing). I actually had Will last tonight, which is weird, because he really is usually one of the best.

24. BEV says:

JACKIE LEE THE BEST!!!

25. AC Milan says:

Tess gave a Grammy level performance, and yet it was given an A-. Seriously?

26. Emily says:

I’m sorry but Tessanne has an amazing voice but NO ‘it’ factor. She’s just boring. But with that said, I’d love a Tessane, Jacquie and Cole finale. Each coach with one finalist. It would make for a great finale, imo.

27. Davey says:

I guess The Voice voting is dominated by teen age girls because I thought Jacquie Lee gave one of her most boring performances tonight.

28. Davey says:

I really don’t get the Will hatred of the song here. It was the most fun song of the night. Though Tessanne’s was the sweetest. Ugh. Jacquie Lee is topping iTunes because Christina called it a Christmas song.

• sd says:

It’s early yet so things can change but right now it’s Tessanne who’s topping itunes at #14 already. I bet she gets to the top 10.

• JM says:

I don’t either, Davey. I thought he was great! IMO, he sang it better than Nate Reuss does live.

• Angie_Overrated says:

It’s a fun song by fun but only fun when sung in reasonably accurate pitch, particularly on the money notes. You miss the fun money notes and the song is particularly unfun. And Will butchered the money notes.

• AlyB says:

He did no such thing. I thoroughly enjoyed that performance & the studio version is terrific. This is about the 4th comment of your I’ve seen just Will bashing. You hate him. We get it. You’ve made it abundantly clear all season. Is there anyone you actually like?

• matt says:

He couldn’t hit the high notes Aly! Sorry but some of us listen to this show objectively

• Mapa says:

alyB, I love you!

• Angie_Overrated says:

Ah, but here’s the thing, AlyB. I don’t hate Will. I’ve enjoyed several of his previous performances. I’m basing my opinion on the performances tonight, and he’s way out of his league out of this field of 5. He stunk to high heavens. Singing notes in tune is kind of important if you want to, ya know, sing for money.

• Misilin says:

I knew there was something fascinating about Will the first time I heard him. I bet he’s that guy that got picked on, criticized often and overlooked a lot but that’s what makes him special, different and drives him to work harder than the rest. You have been too critical of Will all this while, i’ve not read anything good from you about him. i bet he feeds off strength from haters like you and don’t border to reply ‘cos you’re not worth the time.

• It’s kind of important, but not nearly as important as having an evocative delivery and singing good songs. These are two things I can’t possibly imagine someone like Tessanne doing for long.

Can you imagine a guy like freaking Thom Yorke or Perry Fewell even surviving past the blind auditions of a show like the Voice? And yet, they’re legitimately influential singers.

• Er, Perry Farrell, not Fewell. Stuck in suffering NY Giants fan mode for a second there.

• Flygrrl40 says:

Ya, Mislin. I love that he got picked-over/picked-up/picked-over – several times over – and that didn’t deter him AT ALL. In fact, it truly did inspire him to work harder. Like everything in life, a big part of this is the “mind game” component. His situation would have freaked many others out. But he used it to drive himself, and I love that about him. And YES, I also really dig his performances. Of course!

29. Sergio says:

Will and cole are not far away in itunes!! Please vote for will!!!

• JM says:

Yes! Please vote for Will! He deserves to be in the top 3!

• Mark Rodriguez says:

Don’t waste your vote on Wil. He needs to go home. His voice broke so many times tonight.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Is there a number I can call to take votes away from Will? If so, I will happily dial that number. Alternatively, I guess i could just vote for everyone else which is effectively a vote against him.

• mapa says:

angie_overrated, and you say you don’t hate Will? If you’d only put as much energy into voting for your favorite as you do bashing everyone else, perhaps the people you favor would advance and you wouldn’t be so bitter!

• Kaba says:

Where’s the validity in this statement? First and foremost exactly how many votes is “enough votes”? Secondly, why are you assuming she hasn’t voting or isn’t currently voting in between discussion? Finally,who are you to assume that she isn’t voting enough?

• Angie_Overrated says:

I can’t vote for my favorite because Stephanie Anne Johnson didn’t make the top 12 and Matthew Schuler was eliminated last week. In that event, I’d like to see the three most talented advance. I’m not sure who fills the third spot after Tessanne and Cole, but my primary concern is that it’s not Will. He was quite awful tonight.

• Lee says:

Who are you talking about, Kaba, and why does it bother you so much?

30. Quinn Carson says:

James Wolpert: C+
    Will Champlin: A-
    Jacquie Lee: A
    Cole Vosbury: B
    Tessane Chin: A

31. Jacqi says:

We FINALLY agree on performances. I am so proud! Please for the love of this show, send James and Cole home!! They CAN NOT hang with the other two! I swear if Blake wins another season, I call sabotage, Cole is just NOT that good! That is all (for now!)

32. Quinn Carson says:

How do people check itunes charts? I check the top 100 but I never see them..?

33. BA says:

Seriously, Slezak, I’ve always been a fan of yours, but your prejudice against Tessanne is starting to diminish your credibility. Tessanne’s rendition of that song was completely masterful, and beyond beautiful. And, really, Jackie does not deserve your constant praise.

• It’s not like he gave her a D or an F, he gave her an A-. I thought she deserved a higher grade for the past few weeks too, but give him a break, he LIKES Tessanne. Lol.

• Jay says:

@Matthew I have listening to their commentary each week. Their commentary is very biased towards Jackie. I am a Cole fan however the fact that they always find something with tessane’s performances is very sketchy even when other news media grade her higher they find something! the way she’s styled whatever it is!

34. And the highest act on the iTunes chart right now is…Alex and Sierra? Lol. (Looks like the voice people are catching up to them, though.)

35. Clement says:

Tessanne an A MINUS? Hell no! It’s an A PLUS! I can’t wait for Melinda to talk about this on Reality Check.

I am really sure Tessanne and Jacquie will make the Top 10. They’re already in the twenties on iTunes.

36. Sharon says:

How does pitchy-as-hell Will get an A, while Tessanne only scores an A- ?????

37. sara says:

OMG, I can’t believe Slezak is still pimping Jacquie Lee on twitter. Give it a rest Slezak, are you a relative of hers or something???

38. Sam says:

I think you are tone deaf…seriously tone deaf. Tessanne with an A-? Where is the minus? And Will with an A?!?!? He was pitchy. So much so that I was wincing. You sir need to get your ears checked.

39. JM says:

I wish they could have sung two songs each again! Couldn’t they have put off ‘The Singoff’ for another week?

Anyway:

James: B+
    Will: A-
    Jacquie: B
    Cole: B
    Tessanne: A+

James sang well, but it’s hard to top Bono. Will did a great job with that song–so nice to see him have fun, and I really love his voice. Another overdone song choice by Christina. Jacquie did show restraint–until the end, then melodrama ad nauseum. Cole was same ole, same ole. Anyone else upset that Blake said he found himself–in country???

Tessanne stole the night, bar none.

• AlyB says:

I’m not upset by it now but ask me next week if he knocks one of my favs out of the finale LOL . It does seem to be a rather blatant ploy to solidify the votes of Blake’s country fans. Cole said he liked country music & grew up on it though he initially presented himself as more of a soul singer. For me, I don’t see what he’s been performing as being as vocally or artistically challenging as the songs the other contestants are taking on. Still, it seems to be an effective strategy for Blake.

40. analythinker says:

I’m giggling at how different our opinions are :)

41. Lilly says:

I’m rooting for Cole for several reasons; I just like him all-around. But these final 5 are crazy talented. I was glad there was less diva-note-screeching this week than previously, though. And why does Adam finally have three potential winners when he’s botched other seasons with equal talent? Song choice….

My rankings for overall winner (not based solely on talent):
    Cole
    Will
    James
    Tessanne
    Jacquie

42. sd says:

So far on itunes

#14 Tessanne
    #18 Jacquie
    #39 Cole
    #42 Will
    #48 James

43. Cagney says:

I found the long held note by Tessane at the end to be uncomfortable. I know I am not the only one who heard it because a friend texted me that she put her fingers in her ears for that last note. I think it detracted from an otherwise solid performance. B+

Will was off pitch for a good segment- I thought he started out really well but then when he hit that extended rough patch not do good. C+

Jacquie- best I have heard her in awhile- wish she reined in a little towards the end but I really like her voice and tone. A-

James- ok, not memorable C

Missed Cole

44. Kaba says:

See. I can imagine Tessanne losing because of Adam lol.
    If they do what they did last season and make all the contestants duet with their coach I feel like Adam’s vocals could be distracting enough to distract from Tessanne killing it lol.
    Like…can someone name a song that both Tessanne and Adam could sing without either holding back or trying too hard blend/work?

• matt says:

The closest thing i could think of is his duet with rihanna (not very close at all). Wasn’t that mostly sung by Adam? I can’t remember it.

• Tyler says:

Well, I never thought Tessanne could sing a duet with Caroline because of their different styles but they proved me wrong.

45. OMG. Jacquie was awesome (We can see so many haters on her, haters are like bugs, follow everything that shines). I loved it. I really hate different versions of this music, but she reinvented the song and it was in a great way, awesome.
    Tessane was unbelievable too. I can see a neck to neck finale.

46. HTGR says:

Surprised that Michale only gave Jacquie an A- for one of her most beautiful overall performances! Sometimes I really get confused. I think it must be the song for him. Stunned that he put Will higher! Yeah it was a cool and tricky song but he did seem a bit rough on quite a few notes.
    For me Jacquie easily took the night tonight, hopefully finally quiets up the shriekers going on about her every week, and then Tessanne second. Will did have a cool song, and it seemed pretty tricky, he did quite well on lots of it and appeared to be a bit trying to sort of hang on on other parts though. James wasn’t bad, a bit theatrical to be the rocker they keep trying to make him be, not sure why they never went back to his quiet, stripped down work which seemed most natural for him. Awesome song though of course so I could though see why they went rock pop just one more time though. Cole wasn’t bad, interesting tone.

47. Amie says:

I’d rank them:
    1. Tessanne. Beautiful. She’s not my favorite, but she did that so very well.
    2. Will. Loved it. He sounded great.
    3. Cole. Eh.. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it.
    4. James. He sounded more like he had a cold this week than last. I didn’t think he did anything new with the song at all.
    5. Jacquie. That scatting or whatever she was doing shows the whole problem with her. She is FAKEFAKEFAKE. So ridiculous. So pretentious. So wrong.

• Kaba says:

I’m perplexed by the “fakefakefake/ridiculous/pretentious” part of your anger. Particular the fakeness and the pretentiousness….which I get neither from when I see the girl …..
      Enlighten me.

• analythinker says:

I’m not bashing on Jacquie, but try to notice her movements during her performances (all of them). They did not feel natural at all, which I attributed to Xtina telling her how to do moves and she just simply couldn’t do it (at least not like her, and tough standard, I know). The way she moved her shoulders, hips, everything, felt forced to me. I wouldn’t use the word fake though, I think she’s trying to make Xtina proud, but it just isn’t her, IMO. It just ruins her whole performance, but maybe only to me, bc everyone else (including Michael) seems to enjoy her.

I still think she needs a year or two to ace the stage. I like her as a person, and I didn’t like Danielle so much last year but I didn’t think she was too young (so it’s not a generalization toward young contestants).

• Kaba says:

Boy, I’ve come such a long way from Season 4, where I loved Michelle Chamuel because her ability to own the stage with her body language AND her voice. Now I tend to like Jacquie more because when she’s feeling it, you can hear it in her voice…but her stage presence isn’t the greatest thing at times.
          I can understand where you’re coming from because it isn’t something I haven’t noticed as well. I feel more inclined to be able to ignore her inexperience with the stage. Though…at least she makes an attempt to get a rise out of the crowd and display emotion. Still waiting for Danielle to make me feel what the song is supposed to feel >.>

• analythinker says:

LOL, I agree with your last sentence… and maybe we should all just listen to Jacquie (not watch). I’d admit I haven’t bought any of her song though… *waits for tomatoes from Michael*

• Kaba says:

@analythinker| I don’t mind that. The girl just needs to get a song that makes her want to jam out. I say Christina let her choose a song next week…but at the same time I’m apprehensive.

• analythinker says:

@Kaba She chose Stompa, right? I’m guessing she knows what to do about her voice more than Xtina ever will…

• HTGR says:

Interesting. I actually ‘watched’ the entire night with my eyes closed.

• Lilly says:

I agree with you. I love Christina’s talent, but you can definitely see where another coach may have been able to let Jacquie shine in other ways BESIDES try to sound and move just like her coach.

48. Kaba says:

Am I the only one who felt like God was telling me to vote for Cole when he decided to take it up a range? That was almost as tempting as whenever Danielle would go a note higher o.o, nonetheless Danielle was not my favorite though :o

49. AlyB says:

I’m hoping it’s Tessanne, Will & Jacquie Lee in the final. They’ve been delivering the top 3 performances for the last few weeks & this week was no exception. Will showed an animated, fun side of himself and really did put his own touch on Carry On. I bought the ITune & it sounds spectacular. Jacquie has a beautiful quaver in her softer notes that brought the tenderness that Angel needs and I liked how she brought out the force in parts making the song more dynamic and putting her signature on it. Tessanne has an incredible gift. That rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Water was spectacular.

James and Cole both sounded good but neither has that extra special spark for me vocally or in terms of infusing their music with feeling. I know they both have a solid base of fans. Especially Cole since Blake has his country army voting for him & non country votes are getting split up. Because of that I think he’ll end up in the finale knocking out one of my favs but I really hope not. Tomorrow is going to be hard any way it goes.

• HTGR says:

that would be cool, not so sure it will happen

• matt says:

Reading your comments I apologize for my previous reply regarding Will. It sounds like you really thought about this. Will’s iTunes performance must be way better than his live performance then.

50. HTGR says:

Wow, Jacquie WAYYYY took the night. That was great to see!
    What a voice. She can really get into an Xtina (not this week) or Sarah timbre at times, impressive and beautiful.