Sleepy Hollow Fall Finale Recap: Six Thousand Little Ichabods

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 RecapIchabod Crane’s jug-band Christmas gets off to a less than merry start in this week’s Sleepy Hollow, and can you blame the guy for not wanting to dig into the figgy pudding or sip the wassail?

If your first Thanksgiving in the 21st century were marked by finding out about a son whom your trapped-bound wife never thought to mention, you might not be all that into decking the halls, either. And what Crane discovers about his chip off the ol’chabod this week is enough to put any dad in a funk that would last long past Groundhog Day. So strap on your kerchiefs, throw back the sash and settle in as we review what happened in “The Golem.”

RELATEDSleepy Hollow: Suspect Sin Eater? More Corbin? An Ichabbie Weekend? And More Qs!

KATRINA, YOU GOT SOME ‘SPLAININ’ TO DO  | Abbie finds Ichabod angrily chopping wood outside the cabin, grousing about the upcoming holiday and primly correcting her about eggnog’s origins. “During my time, the term was egg and grog,” he says. Neither of them are wearing anything approximating winter gear, and while I want to make a huge deal out of how cold Decembers usually are in the northeast, it was 60 degrees in New York city last week. You win this one, Hollow. When Ichabod stops for a moment, he admits, “My head is swimming with questions” about his son and Katrina. Abbie posits that Ich’s witch of a wife probably kept their child’s existence secret for a good reason, but Crane won’t settle for his partner’s platitudes: He wants answers, and he knows who can help him get them.

Enter sin eater Henry Parrish, who arrives via taxi and promptly announces he’s not there to be a conduit to the other side. Plus, doing so would put Ichabod in grave danger. (I love how both Abbie and Ichabod’s faces are like, “Yeah, so?” when he says this.) Abbie states that she’s not leaving while the freaky-deeky is going down, and then before you know it, Henry literally chokes Ichabod into another world. “The closer he is to death,” Parrish explains to a horrified Abbie, “the shorter the distance to travel.”

RELATED | Fox Supersizes Sleepy Hollow Finale

BABY BLUES | Once inside the Meatloaf video that is Purgatory, Ichabod immediately begins badgering Katrina for answers about their son. Here it is in a nutshell: She named the kid Jeremy, after Ichabod’s grandfather; she didn’t know she was pregnant when Ichabod died; and knowing that her coven would try to harm the child, she gave him to Abbie’s ancestor Grace to raise.

We watch Katrina hand over the child to Grace and her minister husband. “I made you a little friend,” Katrina tells the baby, who is so adorably cute I want to eat him and OH MY GOD KATRINA WHAT THE HELL KIND OF DOLL IS THAT? It’s the thing Abbie saw in her vision, that misshapen rag toy that looks more like a voodoo figurine than Ye Olde Beanie Baby. Kat hands the kiddo and his nightmarish nursery companion over to the couple, then leaves in tears. “And that was the last time I laid eyes on our son,” she whispers to her chagrined husband.

Katrina also lets slip that her own coven banished her to the nether world. Ichabod vows once more to free her, but before anything else can happen, a monster breaks into the room and Crane is yanked back into the present day, where he does some fast math. “I could have as many as 6,000 offspring,” he muses, and Abbie seems to find the thought as mind-blowing as he does.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow‘s Orlando Jones on Capt. Irving’s Secret: ‘It’s Not What You’re Expecting’

KING JEREMY THE WICKED | After the Witnesses cajole Henry into staying in town a while longer, all three head to the local historical society to research the church in which Jeremy was raised. Ichabod notes the mistletoe hanging in the office – “That you recognize?” Abbie remarks — but calm yourselves, ‘shippers; that’s the extent of the moment. (Side note: Kudos to the show for the restraint there. Neither the time nor place, am I right?)

The trio discovers that Jeremy was a little firestarter — thanks to the powers he inherited from Katrina — who burned down the church and killed Grace and her husband. Cue Ichabod’s monster guilt for something that was in no way his fault! “My son was responsible for the death of your ancestors,” he laments, but Mills assures him she doesn’t hold him accountable.

The pity party is interrupted when Henry senses some real bad juju coming off a book that once belonged to a witch from Katrina’s coven. In it is a drawing of the doll Katrina made to scare the bejesus out of me protect her son. The vibes are so bad and so strong that, through Henry, we see Jeremy grow up in an orphanage where he is repeatedly whipped for his mystical powers. One day, some of the boy’s blood drips onto the rag doll. Jeremy’s blood + all of his angst + supernatural abilities he can’t control = the doll coming to life as a faceless, brutish protector who kills anyone who threatens the boy. Oops.

And that doll, which Ichabod identifies as a golem? It followed Ichabod back from Purgatory and just smashed the historical society’s librarian… who was actually a witch. There are others from Katrina’s coven still around, Abbie and Ichabod realize, and if they can reverse Katrina’s banishment, the Witnesses have to find the magical women before the Doll-em pulverizes them.

RELATEDSleepy Hollow‘s Nicole Beharie and Tom Mison Hint at Huge Season Finale

STEP RIGHT UP | Luckily, the smooshed librarian has been keeping tabs on the witches, who have turned themselves into a carnival sideshow, and they’re conveniently in a nearby town. The ladies – all scary eyes and in serious need of orthodontia – reveal that they put a hex on Jeremy to stop his heart, then buried him. Good God, can Ichabod catch any break? As for stopping the Doll-em, the ladies say, “Your son’s blood gave it life. Only his blood can end it.” (Side note: Note how the witches only say their spell stopped Jeremy’s heart, not that they killed him… Maybe a counterspell can restart the teen’s ticker?)

When the beast attacks the carnival, breaking a funhouse mirror in the process, a shard ends up in Ichabod’s chest. Ich pulls it out and, in a conclusion that was evident from the moment the witches spoke, Henry says that Ichabod’s blood is part of Jeremy’s blood: His red stuff can kill the Doll-em, too.

So Crane tries to reason with the lumbering creature (“Jeremy is gone… You have to let him go. We both have to let him go”), then stabs it and holds its hand as it dies.

RELATEDSleepy Hollow Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Ichabod’s Father

SINISTER CLAUS | Upside? Henry, convinced that he has a purpose in Abbie and Ichabod’s fight, is the newest member of Team WTF. But still, Crane’s taken quite the beating these last few weeks, so Abbie gives him his Christmas present a little early. “You embroidered my name on some oversize hosiery,” he says upon seeing hi Christmas stocking, and I beg you to rewind that scene just to listen to Tom Mison pronounce every single vowel in “hosiery.” It’s a cute exchange, and they wish each other Merry Christmas before she steps out for a bite to eat. Thought you were going to get another warm, fuzzy, possibly rum-fueled end to a holiday episode? MOLOCH WANTS YOU TO THINK AGAIN. The horny one brings Crane through the looking glass, beats him up and leaves him with a truly disturbing message before sending him back for Abbie to find on the floor.

“He’s coming for your soul,” Ichabod says, tears running down his face as he grasps her hand. “He says I will deliver it to him.” God bless us, every one!

Now it’s your turn. What do we think about the demon (or whatever it is) dogging Capt. Irving’s daughter? Was the “aweful intercourse” line the funniest of the episode? And is anyone else thinking that bringing Henry into the fold may backfire, big time? Sound off in the comments!

1. Babybop says:

First of all – I look forward to your recaps, so funny! (And your feelings about the doll are the same as mine. Why on earth would you give that to your child?!)

Second of all – I don’t even know what to think about that ending. I mean, how would Ichabod even get her “soul” and what exactly does he mean by soul? And what was up with the captain? Is he some demon now? Who were those people in the park?

I just have so many questions… How long until this is back, again? I need it in my life… Ha ha.

• Bob says:

You don’t know what a soul is? Are you non-religious?

• Babybop says:

No, I am. I just never understood what a “soul” is… I thought it was more of like, if you don’t have a soul, you’re a terrible person. So like, if he takes her soul, does she die or just become horrible? Ha ha.

• dsm says:

Ha!
        Please…..like religious people really have souls….that’s funny!

• Jesus crane says:

The body dies your soul is eternal! Your soul goes to heaven or hell! Growing up we were always told that up until the age of 12 our sins fell on our parents n after that our sins were our own! U had to be re-baptised! We were also told the only way the devil could get your soul is if you were old enough to give it to him or your parents sold your soul! The only way u can sacrifice a soul is if its innocent like a child or u convince someone to offer themselves! Maybe Abbie is a virgin! Evil demons love virgin souls! Observation: in the Necromancer episode Headless said Molach promised him Katrinas soul for all eternity! How can u promise a soul you don’t already have? Unless her soul is already Molachs!

• Jennae says:

I heard it comes back January 13th and then has a two hour season finale on January 20th (I don’t understand that)

2. Annie says:

WTF plus 1! You know its sad,I read this before watching the ep. Your recaps are that great! Watching the ep in the morning.

3. seriously that doll makes chucky & the saw doll look cute & innocent

4. ericjbaker says:

I’d say purgatory looks more like a Bonnie Tyler video.

Agreed on the mistletoe non-kiss. Shows go downhill when lead characters become romantic. The underlying, unspoken attraction makes for a more tense dynamic.

5. Tisha says:

Great recap! You bring up some good points so need to re-watch before commenting. Didn’t like what was going on with Irving and his daughter in the park.

6. Shouldn’t the teeth have been Katrina’s first clue that her coven weren’t exactly on the side of the angels?

• zaza says:

It IS kind of interesting that, prior to this, we’ve been led to assume that Katrina’s coven was the “good” one, but that doesn’t seem like the case now. Or…if they ARE the good one, the bad coven must be really, really bad.

7. sarah says:

I don’t think Junior’s dead, either. At least not All Dead. I’ve got some convoluted idea about “his blood is your blood” meaning that Jeremy’s blood also got linked with the Horseman’s, so when they were brought back, he was, too. Then when the freaky park demon-thing said, “we have one, too,” I wondered if it meant their side has a Crane, too, ’cause Jeremy woke up all evil.

And also if Irving’s gonna sell his soul to heal/save Macey, and if Ichabod’s gonna be tempted with a possibility of trading Abbie for Katrina’s freedom, and other such ideas that will all likely be completely off-base. :)

• uh huh says:

I think what they were referring to in the park (“we have one, too”) is a plan.

• gdv says:

I really hope they don’t end up bringing Jeremy into today’s world. It just makes Ichabod’s situation less unique. I don’t want everyone from his past to suddenly be able to cross through purgatory or be awoken from a curse, etc., and be in our times. It just seems too easy to me.

• Znachki says:

I don’t know that they have to bring him back to modern times. It’s possible that one of the other groups at play in all of this, re-started his heart and he lived out his life at some other time in the past. Then, you could bring in the descendents. Since Jr. was orphaned and all, they don’t even have to know that they are related to Ich. Just “strangely drawn” to the mystery

8. ejdax37 says:

There is not way this show is going to have Crane have a super powered son then only use him in one episode. I don’t think he will show up this season (I could be wrong) but we will defiantly see him again, and I don’t think he will be on dear old Dad’s side, maybe not on purpose but you know that this boy is going to be harboring some Connor from Angel level resentment for his Father.

• kimberly says:

You win with the Angel reference!

• BlueBelle says:

LOL!! I always say all things come back to either BTVS, Angel or the Brady Bunch. Great episode when Darla was pregnant. When she realized once her baby would be born she could not love it but Angel could so she sacrificed herself for her son’s life. Connor! No wait GROWN UP CONNOR! I could not stand that boy! Such a Brat who needed a time out. Hated how he ended up with Cordy. So happy he was banished with no memory of his past. First time I watched Mad Men and saw Vincent Kartheiser playing Pete Campbell, I thought oh great he playing another insufferable role.

• Steph says:

I’m definitely thinking Moloch is going to use Jeremy against Ichabod and Abbie. Either brainwash him into believing that Ichabod set him up for a life of loneliness or misery or by fighting against Ichabod to “save” his mother.

9. uh huh says:

Forget the temperature problem, did you notice that Henry’s train was 8:05pm, he had 18 minutes to get it, and it was BROAD DAYLIGHT?!??!

Hey, SleepyHollow folks. I don’t know what time it gets dark in LA where you’re writing/planning this stuff, but in New York in December? Pitch black by 5:30pm. Don’t want a night shoot? Make his train at 3.

• Alichat says:

Just an FYI……That would be a continuity mistake by the director and crew in NC instead of the writers in LA. I also found it interesting that as they drove off, there was massive smoke coming from the chimney on Ichabod’s house. That’s a big fire to leave burning unattended in a log cabin.

• uh huh says:

I presume it was the script that said his train was at 8:05, and the next one was at 12:44am. If you want to blame the director for not shooting that scene in the dark, you can. But I don’t really think Crane would be chopping wood in the dark. I blame the script.

10. GeoDiva says:

The Meatloaf video reference was hilarious! I do think that Jeremy is not dead, since they said he was under a hex. I predict he will show up in the season finale. Really liking Irving’s back story.

11. Alichat says:

“Once inside the Meatloaf video that is Purgatory…” OMG….so true, so true. I also agree that Jeremy’s ticker can be restarted, just as Ichabod’s was. And my first feeling was that the “we have one too” demon comment was a nod to Jeremy….that they have a child….since Irving was with his daughter, and they were watching him walk away with her. But I don’t know….I need to see the scene again. Irving had also just flashed his badge….perhaps that was a nod to them having another ally on the police force….besides Pez-head Andy. And the awful intercourse line needs to be on the quote of the week list!!

• uh huh says:

When talking to his priest, about god’s “plan,” Irving asked who the plan was for–God or Irving. Then the cocoa vendor repeated the bit about a plan back at Irving. That’s what the forces of evil have, too–a plan.

• The Squatch says:

After Ichabod told Abby what Moloch had said about him delivering her soul to the demon, I was waiting for Ichabod to say, “I would do anything for love… but I won’t do that.” heh

12. Hodan says:

Not going to lie. I was bored during this episode. It only got interesting during the last few seconds. Can’t wait for season 2.

Thank you for the recaps. I enjoyed reading them.

13. JP says:

A few thoughts:
    1. Why did Moloch prevent the horseman from killing Crane last week to only threaten this week.
    2. Jeremy must be alive
    3. Abby is freakinf awesome. Watching crane get chocked then convincing Parrish to stay..

But biggest question is how soon till the Producers announce John Noble as series regular. That man is AWESOME

• JP says:

Forgot to add that part of me thinks, “could Parrish be Cranes son?” That scene where he was telling him
      It’s ok.. Just struck a chord. But then again it would be to Soap Opera like

• uh huh says:

But do we know that Moloch stopped the Horseman from killing Ichabod? That may have been all Andy Brooks’ doing. He wants to protect Abbie at all costs, and he knew that Crane was the best man to do that. (Well, until Crane’s visit with Moloch at the end of last night’s episode, anyway.)

• prish says:

The actor playing Jeremy was cute and a hunk. They’d be crazy not to bring him onto the show. Also, he could act.

14. Ally Oop says:

Awesome recap Kim Roots! You had me laughing a few times. It was a great episode with plenty of WTF moments. Sleepy Hollow has become a must-see show for me thanks to the depth of the cast/characters. My only beef with the episode is that there was no Jenny.

15. Dicie says:

Katrina parting gift for her son would have been touching if the thing didn’t look like a faceless nightmare monster from the start.

16. Znachki says:

By the way – loved the “aweful intercourse” line, and Ich’s reply! It needs to be one of the quotes of the week.

17. murley says:

That doll was the most disturbing and horrific thing I have ever seen. Who gives that to a baby?
    Totally agree about the sugnificance of saying “stopped his heart” versus “killed”. Stopped, as in, can be started again.
    And along with the amazing pronunciation of hosiery, which I absolutely rewound, my favorite quote was definitely “When did irony become a national pastime?”

18. tvdiva says:

Oh my sweet Kimberly – you had me at “OH MY GOD KATRINA WHAT THE HELL KIND OF DOLL IS THAT?”. Your recap is hilarious and spot on. I am guessing Jeremy can be brought back from the hex. But if he comes back like Conner on ANGEL, I am done with the show. I think Henry may not be immune to Moloch’s powers, and may be used for evil to Team WTF. I also think all three families – Irving, Abbie and Ichabod’s will be in some kind of peril in the two hour finale. And I may be in the minority, but I am shipping Ichabod and his wife. There is something downright sexy about a faithful husband, and a man who is equally faithful in a platonic, friendly way to his partner in the fight against the end of days.

• Jadinmad says:

I’m totally shipping Ichabod and Katrina. She is awesome!

• luvsdarcy says:

Thank goodness! Another Ichabod and Katrina fan! I am a romantic at heart and I love the thought of separated lovers trying to find one another.

I think Ichabod and Abbie are great together but more of a best friend/ brother sister dynamic. I actually have never felt an attraction vibe between them.

19. Rachel says:

Here’s my thoughts on the UGLY doll Katrina made:

1. Since she was giving him away, she made the doll ugly so that no one would take it from him.

2. She was mad as hell about her situation and her angst came out in the doll’s design.

3. The doll’s ugliness is some kind of witch thing, either an indication that a witch made it, or it’s some kind of talisman [which it actually became - think about it, the Golem wouldn't have been quite so frightening, and wouldn't have protected Jeremy so well, if it looked like a Cabbage Patch Kid].

Oh, and Kimberely, your recap comments are HYSTERICAL!!!

20. jenferner8 says:

Team WTF? I love it! I also love anything that comes out of Ichabod’s mouth. I had same thought when I saw doll in other episode, a sort of “what the hell is that!?” Of course Jeremy is not dead but what will he be when he’s “back”? What the hell was that thing at the park? And what was that it said at the end there, something like “we have one too”? Wonder if that’s in reference to Jeremy or something far worse.

21. Morisot says:

I thought maybe the golem knew what Ichabod was going to do and kind-of propelled himself into the bloodied glass. And about Jeremy (that’s not a very colonial sounding name) –does anyone remember the short story “The Monkey’s Paw” ?

22. Andre says:

I am Loving this show. Great Article by the way.

After the Golem episode just had a very strange feeling that “could moloch be Jeremy???”. It doesn’t add up. As supposedly Moloch was already around before Ichabod and Katrina decided to take that extra step in to their relationship. But could we go into time travel, it just looked that Moloch was really crossed at Moloch, like for not being around for the last 200 years???
    Probably silly of me to say this, but that is one surprise I would not like to have.
    Can’t wait for the next episode.

23. Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks
    I have read stuff from. Thank you for posting
    when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this web site.