Spoiler Alert!: Once Casting Quarrel, Scandal Bait and Switch, Bold Community, Castle Predictions

unnamed-1Is Once Upon a Time‘s Rapunzel uproar much ado about nothing? Which Arrow character is about to pick up pick on some suspicious energy between Oliver and Felicity? And is Olivia’s mother on Scandal really all that big and bad?

Those are but a few of the provocative questions Matt Mitovich and I tackle in this week’s Spoiler Alert!a jam-packed episode that also finds us post-morteming NBC’s hugely successful (and deeply flawed) Sound of Music Live!and issuing entirely-plausible predictions about a sixth season (!!!) of Community and a wedding day disaster for Rick and Kate on Castle.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Season 3 Spoilers — Will Rumbelle’s Reunion Last?

Press PLAY below and then share your own thoughts/theories/predix in the comments!

1. Annie says:

Can’t get it to play, sigh. Anyone care to recap in written form? (Seriously, guys, transcripts are a nice thing to do – lots of readers are hearing impaired, too.)

2. Maki says:

Ohhh great Spoiler Alert. Misses you guys. i completly agree on the Rapunzel storyline, it’s just the same case with Grant Gustin as Barry Allen. People judged it right away and I think he did a tremendous job. The Once castings just like the Arrow castings are always good. So I’m not worried for Rapunzel.

• madhatter360 says:

I’m cautiously excited about the Rapunzel casting, though I have 2 questions about it.
      1. Will they address the fact (and it is a fact) that black people’s hair has a different texture than white people’s hair, and if so how?
      2. Will they address why the traditional fairytale is that Rapunzel is blonde? The other stories that they’ve changed you can at least sort of see how the events in the Enchanted Forest could have changed through people’s retellings. Blonde hair is just such a specific detail that’s so universal, I feel like that’s something that wouldn’t just happen from time and retellings.
      I read a great adaptation of Rapunzel in which she was actually bald, so I have no issue with changing the ethnicity/hair color, I just want to know if they will address the fact that they’ve changed it.

• Alex says:

IMO, they shouldn’t make an issue of it. A black Rapunzel should not be a plot point, and the texture of her hair is irrelevant.

• ben says:

I agree. Whatever one might think or say about Once’s plotting and scripting, you can’t fault their casting.

• JC says:

Eh, I think that’s an area where mileage may vary. I don’t have an issue with this particular casting, and I think they have hit a lot of notes right, but not all of them IMO.

3. Britt says:

Nooooo not Pelant lol

Also I was very surprise that Huck tortured Quinn. I thought he was going to make her believe he would, but that he wouldn’t actually go through with it. And Sally killing her husband WOW.

P.S, I hate all of these winter finales. That and The Winter Olympics are delaying my shows. What will I do with all this free time?

4. Azerty says:

Community: 6 seasons and a movie!

5. finally someone is going to notice the ridiculous chemistry between Oliver and Felicity!

6. Jen says:

While I am happy that live theater was shown on television, the choice to use a big name to bring in ratings instead of someone to fit the part is 100% WRONG. Sure, people tuned in. BUT, it was terrible. Now, if they do another one, people aren’t going to watch because this one was SO bad. They would have been better off casting someone like Sutton Foster, Kristin Chenoweth, or Megan Hilty… they may not have gotten as many viewers, but it would have been stunningly good, buzz would have caused more interest, and the next time they decide to do it, people would watch.

• Alice says:

People already watched this time. If fewer people had watched, they probably wouldn’t try it again. But 18 million is going to be seen by the network as an affirmation of their strategy.

• TV Gord says:

It wasn;t THAT bad. Come on. It wasn’t great, but it was very good (aside from Carrie’s acting (bless her heart).

• Drew says:

Maybe I’ve just taken too many acting classes and I’ve gotten used to seeing people act badly on stage, but she was far from the worst I’ve seen. People just want to pile on and slam the crap out of her, but she wasn’t the most wooden I’ve seen. She wasn’t completely incompetent in the role. I can understand people saying that she wasn’t the greatest actor ever, but she was far, far, far from the worst.

• Drew says:

So, Carrie Underwood was wrong for the role but casting a 40-something woman as Maria would make perfect sense?
      If people hated it that much the numbers would drop like a rock over the three hours. They didn’t.
      It was not horrible. I liked it a lot actually. And while people love the game of saying mean things online the show was a huge success. Underwood delivered exactly what the network was looking for. Hate her all you want but the night was hers. I’ve been comparing recording of Mary Martin to Carrie Underwood and Carrie seems a lot closer to the original than Julie Andrews (don’t get me wrong, I do love the movie).

I will be getting the dvd anyway. Maybe watch it with the 1960 televised version of Peter Pan.

• ben says:

I think the people criticising are just people who are used to TV shows, and not used to live stage shows. The reality is, Carrie wasn’t doing 7 takes and only having the best one (or the best bits of each) shown. Live stage shows will rarely be as consistently well acted as TV shows for this reason, no matter who is in them.

• Drew says:

It is interesting to watch a TV show being filmed sometimes. A lot of what we perceive as a great performance comes down to the score, or the lighting or the editing. You’re right. A live show like this will never have the level of sculpting done to it that a normal TV show or movie has.
          And it’s not like stage either, because when people perform on stage they act really big and enunciate everything, but you’re not right in their faces so it doesn’t seem as harsh. Doing a live televised show like this is a creature of its own, and considering that it hasn’t been done in so long, I’m not surprised that it wasn’t perfectly polished. The sound dept. needed some refining. The lighting, maybe.

But then, that is part of the fun of a live show, isn’t it? Would we want it to be down to a science?

7. I wanted them to talk a little bit about my Sunday shows, The Good wife and The walking dead’s winter finales from last week, Homeland and Masters Of Sex which are doing great! (Plus, HBO’s Getting On)

8. GildedRose says:

I’m so glad Mitovich brought up Felicity NOT leaving Arrow. She’s such a good character and I really like the way she’s being brought into the fold of the show, interacting with more people (can she get some female friends and a backstory now, please?) and I absolutely love the developing relationship between her and Oliver. They’re so good together, so I’m really excited about what’s going to happen during this mid season finale and what Oliver and Felicity might glean about their own feelings towards the other, because right now I think they’re both working hard to deny there’s anything “real” there. So good! I can’t believe this is the mid-season finale already. It’s going to be so hard to wait weeks until it returns.

• Shaun says:

wonder if her and Thea or her and Laurel could end up pals.

• Garnet74 says:

Thea and Felicity could be interesting given that Felicity knows Oliver’s secret and Thea is attempting to help Roy who is working with the Arrow. I have no clue what Sara’s fate is on the show but I liked her scenes with Felicity as well. Either way (heck use both!) I think either combo could learn stuff from each other, which is always nice.

9. sophia7470 says:

I love any and all spoilers re Olicity – can’t get enough of those crazy kids right now!

10. Megan says:

My only concern with Ralunzel is if the do her hair well. Last night Snow had some terrible wigs so I fret for how they will handle the hair for Rapunzel since that is a big part of her story.

11. Clara Lima says:

SERIOUSLY? HHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

12. Alberta says:

Where are the talented writers that know how to put together a good story and leave out the core sex and violence. I like Castle, most of the time, and the NCIS CSI, ETC Groups, and Blue Blood. I miss Rozzili and Isles. Will they be back?

13. nina says:

whoop! can’t wait for the Olicity feels! bout time they have an episode with those two’s relationship.

14. Apples says:

I hope Marlowe doesn’t go down such a cliched route with the Castle wedding.

• RBA says:

You can bet he will… So far this season that is all he has done.

• scooby says:

It’s cliche to have your wedding interrupted by the interference of a serial killer? I have NOT been watching enough tv. ;) (Let’s not compare this to Bones, 3XK’s existence and Caskett ultimate getting married has been in the works far longer.) Something’s gonna go down even if it’s not that and really it makes perfect sense. If the wedding just happens straight up, it may be between 2 characters we love but it’ll be boring from a story stand point. This show doesn’t just exist for the hair p0rn opportunities, Caskett goo goo eyes, Beckett’s fashion sense and the occasional murder. Besides, Kate’s in homicide and even if she’s on leave, things come up. Ryan and Espo and Lanie might have to bolt for some reason. You know she and Castle might be tempted to involve themselves depending on the case. 3XK is after them all personally and has been since Castle uncovered his identity (well before Pelant happened). Have to say, I think they’ve used him sparingly and well. The last time was creepy as all get out. If he comes up again, it’ll be creative. If Castle’s getting married, it becomes celebrity news and you can bet that’ll cause something. The paparazzi will be all over it, tipping off 3XK about anything he wants to know. Could bring in someone else entirely.

• Apples says:

It is cliched because it is so predictable. I don’t mind some kind of crime or quasi-interruption to the wedding, I just think using 3XK is a bit hackneyed.

15. Vcoolwater says:

Of course Arrow hit a season high. People tuned in to see Barry Allen/ The Flash. It was same with Helena/Huntress last year. Basically the show cannot get high ratings by itself. It has to resort to fan service/fan pandering. Without it the show stuck at 0.9.

As for Olicity, either writers put them together or they don’t. I getting tired of the slash scenes. Felicity is basically a prop for Oliver/Olicity. Maybe they should spend some time giving her some character development/backstory. It is dumb that we have to wait until episode 13 to get any information about her.

• JC says:

“The slash scenes”? What are you talking about? And the episode with Diggle in Russia got a 1.2 if I remember correctly, so your theory that Arrow needs outside help to get good ratings is a little flawed.

• Ashley says:

“The slash scenes”? To quote Inigo Montoya from “The Princess Bride”: “I do not think it means what you think it means.”

16. Just one thing says:

Considering OUAT is probably the second-least diverse drama on ABC (only beaten by Revenge), I don’t understand why there would be any uproar for casting a minority to play Rapunzel.
    Now if only they could work on diversifying the adults cast in their comedies…

• ben says:

I can’t disagree with this, while noting that doing something like that out of the gate (changing the racial characteristic of a fairy tale character) could have been risky and I don’t really think its Once’s fault that they are among the least diverse – they are after all adapting existing characters. You couldn’t exactly make “Snow White” a black woman.

• Just one thing says:

Oh, you COULD make Snow White a black woman. They just chose not to — which is fine. They’ve taken creative license with all of these characters, and have made it somewhat contemporary. For the most part, they’ve maintained the status quo. But some of these characters, particularly Belle, Ariel and Tinkerbell, could’ve been played by non-white characters, too.

17. TV Gord says:

That certainly IS a bold prediction, Mr. Ausiello, and while I hope you’re right, I don’t know what will happen to reverse years of mass apathy. I think Community is doomed to be “discovered” years after it leaves the air, a la Arrested Development, The Wire and–hopefully someday–Treme.

18. prish says:

OUATinWonderLand skidded off the tracks with not having Alice with long blond hair, imho. Disney’s Alice movie is embedded in our DNA, by this time. The Rapunzel movie is different, although it is odd that the wicked witch had dark hair in the movie and Rapunzel has it here in OUAT. For the guys in the world, Rapunzel = long hair. For all the gals in the world that liked the movie and paid attention to the nuances of the fairy tale when young, Rapunzel-OUAT = long hair – blond – black – whatever – just say the name enough to make it easy to follow. Strictly IMHO, of course.

• gdv says:

Am I missing something? Sophie Lowe has long blonde hair, doesn’t she? Granted, it’s more of a sandy blonde than bleach blonde. Still looks blonde to me.

I understand that the animated Disney versions are iconic, and I would’ve probably been upset if they had cast a blonde as Ariel instead of a redhead, but honestly people—just enjoy Tangled as its own thing, and let OUAT be its own thing.

• prish says:

I loved Tangled! Anyone who loved the movie loved the characterizations and won’t care about hair color. They’re just waiting for more fun story stuff.

• John 1138 says:

As far as I recall YOUNG Alice has been shown with long hair, that ADULT Alice’s hair is of a different length isn’t all that much of a shocker: women often have shorter hair than when they were children.

• JC says:

Children with blond hair sometimes have it darken as they get older, sometimes significantly. I’ve known people who had blond hair when they were children, only for it to darken to a very definite brown by the time they were in their twenties. I can easily buy adult Alice’s hair being darker than child Alice’s.

• JC says:

And that really should have been a comment to the person above you – sorry!

• prish says:

In reply to all of you wonderful fans: judging by the simple mind of my guy husband, long bright blond hair missing = who is everyone again? who are these people? This is a movie-going partner whose interest gets lost if action doesn’t happen within the first 5 seconds of a film. If the ratings are down, this was just a maybe.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t know if you can say OUATinW’s fate was sealed due to the actor’s hair color. I think Disney/ABC and the producers overestimated their audience’s loyalty to the franchise, especially in such a relatively young series. I suspect we’ll see a similarly lackluster response toward the Chicago Fire sequel, too.

• prish says:

My husband is the biggest OUAT fan, ever. He says those characters are like family. He can’t relate to the Wonderland characters. He calls them goofy. (don’t know why, didn’t ask, just asked him why he didn’t like it for you guys) IMHO, if they had added some of the Storybrook characters that might have helped bring in the fans of the other show. Maybe the rabbit should have been in Storybrook a few times, and maybe Grumpy and a few of the other minor characters could have been in it.

• DarkDefender says:

The problem with OUAT Wonderland is not the casting or storylines.. It is the horribly distracting (and horribly bad) CGI. Once you get past that.. It’s actually a pretty good show.

• John 1138 says:

I see the cgi as “graphic novel” artwork. Broad strokes. I don’t open a graphic novel expecting hi res reality quality images in some ways it’s refreshing. Being honest about the fakery we all know is there.

19. Drew says:

Speaking of The Sound of Music Live, does anyone have the script for the stage play? I thought that Christian Borle messed up some lines toward the end, but nobody on the internet mentioned it in between bashing Carrie Underwood, so I am wondering if it was actually part of the script. It was at the festival, when he said something about having the judges’ results… then he backed up and said that the judges hadn’t reached their decision yet so there would be one more performance. It seemed like he skipped ahead a little bit by mistake.

In the future, I kinda hope that they don’t cast all-Broadway stars for it. First of all, it will never happen unless those stars have major screen success as well. But there was something about joining Carrie Underwood, kids who hadn’t really done this before, and Stephen Moyer (who had little experience a while back) for this that I found interesting, outside of any performance stuff. Like watching the behind the scenes special, I think it would have been different if it was a cast of people playing roles that they’d been playing on stage for years. This seemed like something special. One night. One performance. One chance. Taking away that element will kinda ruin the immediacy of the live performance.

I just hope that NBC doesn’t take the success of this and turn it into a reality show over the summer, casting each role and making us sick of the whole thing before the big night finally gets here. I have this feeling that they are going to try to turn a one night event into months of boring shows.

20. Amie says:

Did Matt call them AudrEY McDonald and ChrisTOPHER BorLEY? WTF? I suppose at least they got mentioned, unlike the fantastic Laura Benanti, but COME ON. Let’s get the names of Broadway stars right!

21. Lysh says:

You guys should do this show more often. It’s entertaining.

22. Kim (@AD76) says:

I’d prefer something written only because I don’t watch all the shows mentioned so I can just scan to see what I need to read.

23. sil says:

LOVE this video format guys, but whereas all things can withstand constructive criticism, might I suggest showing just a tad more excitement? Just an observation :)

24. Mary says:

I´m enjoying Castle´s s6 very much untill now; liked the DC arc and how it was “closed” and all. But I have to say I really HOPE this thing with the wedding is just some predictions that won´t turn to reality, because I don´t think I´d enjoy my show being so cliché and dejá vue!:) I believe, and hope, we´ll see more of 3XK and his “girlfriend”…just not this way!

25. DarkDefender says:

I also hope The Caskett wedding:
    1. Does not get interrupted by 3XK
    2. Does not happen this season (but maybe pre winter break, next season)
    3. Is a gift to the fans like “Lives of Others” and “Still” were

I also wish we see James Brolin at the wedding, even if only as a cameo.

26. Babybop says:

Baha at the idea that Pelant would crash the Castle wedding. I’m hoping your prediction is true, Michael! I love Community!

27. cas says:

I don’t know why everyone is arguing over the race of the casting of Rapunzel. I have a more pressing matter, the actress herself. I thought she was awful in the Originals. When she was on screen I almost fast forwarded her scenes, she was so bland and boring. I hope she is way better in Once.

28. Britta Unfiltered says:

I hadn’t watched these Spoiler Alert things in awhile, I’d forgotten how enjoyable they are.