Low Winter Sun Sets at AMC, Low-Rated Drama Cancelled After One Season

Low Winter Sun CancelledLow Winter Sun will not rise again.

In a rare misfire for AMC, the struggling drama has been cancelled after one very low-rated season, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Despite landing a cushy Sunday timeslot behind Breaking Bad‘s final eight episodes, LWS failed to make a dent in the ratings. The show’s final episode drew just 600,000 viewers, a fraction of the 2.5 million that tuned into the premiere.

1. Angelo says:

The problem is that the US doesn’t remake none-US shows that well. Instead of remaking shows, why not just find a way to air BBC 1/2/3 and Sky here in the US, even if only by satellite providers.

• MoreTears says:

The US remake was better than the British original, which was only a two-part mini-series anyway. The original material was unworthy of being re-made in the first place.

• francis says:

couldn’t agree with you more. Stop copycat-ing, Bring the originals over. Or even better start doing original pieces

2. rod says:

I’ve never heard of that show before now. No surprise it was cencelled.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, what a funny comment.

• Esaul says:

How so? It’s a valid point. If a show doesn’t receive ample promotion, how can anyone expect to find a show that they may be interested or want to try? It’s rare for me to miss a new show myself. I typically check out trailers or at least a pilot, and I was completely unaware of Low Winter Sun. Sure it had a nice slot after Breaking Bad, but that can only do so much. It seems that the targeted audience is mildly different from Breaking Bad which probably doesn’t translate well into LWS.

• JEst says:

I don’t know if this is the case with a lot of people, but some people have mentioned that since they liked to take time to process what they saw on Breaking Bad each week, the last thing that they wanted was to watch something else right away. The needing time to process things rationality was also used when shows that aired after Lost did poorly. I personally watched a few episodes of Low Winter Sun and just didn’t care for it.

• josh says:

EXACTLY, , who wanted to see a new show Right aftrr BB was over! Us BB fans had to process what just happened in the world of Heisenberg. :)

• wrstlgirl says:

It was highly promoted for months but that’s not why I find the comment funny. It just sounds ridiculously arrogant. It’s like me saying well I’ve never heard of you so clearly you’re not worth knowing.

• Esaul says:

Highly promoted where? What time? These are key questions that indicate the effectiveness of said promoting. If they focused solely within AMC, then they won’t get any sort of hopeful numbers. Fans of Breaking Bad won’t necessarily be fans of Low Winter Sun. They can’t rely on solely advertising within the network to try and get an audience, especially in today’s age of hundreds of channels and web series to choose from. Stating someone hasn’t heard of the show is far from arrogant if it’s the truth. I’ve never heard of this show either, I’m not arrogant in saying so. I always try new shows out even if I don’t like the premise. I found I’m glad I did so too, since I looked harshly down upon NBC’s The Blacklist because James Spader plays the lead role and I hated him on The Office, but this time he’s the reason I even bother with that show. If I heard of Low Winter Sun, I might’ve tried it out, but since there was little outside promotion and I haven’t seen any sites really cover this show, I didn’t know about it.

• wrstlgirl says:

Esaul, I apologize I didn’t keep a log of every date and time I saw a LWS promo. My finding the comment funny has nothing to do with that anyway. And you’re right, saying he’s never heard of the show is not arrogant, that’s not where I’m sensing it. You’ve kind of missed the point and Sorry, you’re gonna have to find someone else to argue with tonight.

• Elyse says:

I saw Low Winter Sun promoted a lot on AMC and… even on THIS WEBSITE! so I checked it out. it was alright. only watched a few episodes.

• Why Rod, because you never heard of it, it must be bad?

• wrstlgirl says:

THIS :-)

• shemederka says:

… Speaking of arrogance … It’s funny how people who always say things like “I’m really open minded about things, I don’t judge, I am very tolerant” are usually the most intolerant, close-minded, people I have ever met when they meet anyone with a different perspective. Maybe that’s not you, but I am sick of “tolerant” people trashing other points of view. LWS failed because it had a very bad advertising campaign in my opinion. I tried to turn others on to the show and 90% of the time they had never heard of it. So which is it? Americans watch too much TV or not enough?

BTW: Me, I judge everyone as soon as I hear them speak. I don’t claim to be tolerant, I don’t call others arrogant when I know I am a cocky as*hole who thinks I am smarter than most people. PC and tolerance are facades that cowards hide behind because they are afraid of how people will react to how they REALLY feel. Honest opinions, even when they provoke emotional responses, are much more useful.

3. Leela says:

Why do shows have to run more than 1 season? (I know, costs, etc.) This had a great script, great characters, excellent performances, terrific atmosphere & Mark Strong reprised his role from the UK version. I enjoyed it, the story ended, I’m happy. Why run every show/premise into the ground or clone it 85 times? Go on to something new!

• fish says:

That’s a totally valid point. There are shows that shouldn’t run after they were telling their stories – I like UK shows with short seasons when it’s a round story. Instead of sweating to continue a story that doesn’t have anything more in it, they should tell new ones.

• Hannah says:

I want Mark Strong to play Mussolini in a biopic or something.

4. LL says:

Who the heck would watch a show with this title? It sounds incredibly dreary and unappealing.

5. wrstlgirl says:

I was wondering if they were ever going to announce this. It was a good little show, one season was enough to tell the story. No need for more.

6. Livus48 says:

It is a pity,because so many good actors was in it,on the other hand the show was very dark,and the light moment was fare and few between.
    The series sort of dragged itself down,and no one like to see only wiolenc and gloom all the time.But the actors did not have an easy task…..sorry for them as most of them is really really super actors/actresses 😏

• My husband & I tried so hard to like this series. Actors were really good & the story line was unique. Neither of us like senseless, mindless stories with predictable characters and story line so we should have loved this show. Livus48–you put into words exactly why this series did not survive. Depressing & so gloomy with very few light moments at all. In the end, it just made us feel too bad to keep on watching it. It really could never have been a fun show to watch nor did we expect it to be. Perhaps it was just too real? There was not much redemption in this story at all which I think would affect anyone who tried to watch it. Feel bad for the wonderful cast of actors. I think the writers let them all down.

• grey says:

I could not have expressed this any better. Thank you. I was trying to say the same thing to someone else and couldn’t quite find the right wording. This was a really well done show but just too, too, dreary and depressing. I love a good dramatic, and even dark, show as much as anyone but this one just left me feeling sad and despondent after watching it – and there didn’t seem to be any one character to root for that might have made it worth it. When I realized I was actually forcing myself to watch it I thought, “Wait a minute. This is not how TV is supposed to be.” No matter what the subject matter, or tone of the story, there should always be a certain amount of “happy” anticipation (or guility pleasure, if you will) about watching something. “LWS” just left me dreading it and feeling sad afterwards. Good luck to the actors and other creative talents involved but good riddance.

7. Charlie says:

Never heard of it.

8. GEORGIA says:

LIKED THE SHOW — SORRY THAT IT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

9. Jordan says:

3 back-to-back Sunday Nights at 9pm on AMC:

Breaking Bad – 10.4 million
    Low Winter Sun – 0.6 million
    Walking Dead – 16.1 million

Not surprising at all.

10. João Amaral says:

BRING BACK RUBICON!!!

11. Jim says:

The show was not promoted well. Typical of low rent AMC. Well written, solid acting, gritty…and a lot more real life than we want to know. Maybe one day AMC will step out of the shadows of the quality cable leaders and become a player

12. I watch The Walking Dead and Mad Men and honestly have no idea what this is…the promotion for it must not have been great.

13. Hmmmm, never heard of it

14. NewShadeOfBlue says:

WOW! Only 600,000 thousand viewers? MSNBC would kill for those ratings. Just saying.

15. Derek Johnson says:

Glad it got canceled. You could tell the whole show was merely a bunch of notes from AMC execs over the script of the original show.

16. Cathy says:

I tried to watch it, but it just didn’t seem like there was a likeable character.

17. The Beach says:

This show was set in the seedy underbelly of a decaying city and populated with a cast of characters that the viewer couldn’t/didn’t relate to and so had no interest in rooting for. No wonder nobody watched it. I stuck it out for the entire season but had basically lost interest by episode 3 or 4.

• grey says:

Again, very well said. I left after episode three. It was just too depressing and I thought if I was the mayor or the head at the chamber of commerce for Detroit I’d be little pissed. Good luck trying to revitalize the city or bring in high tech jobs with this show as the city’s calling card. :-/

• will says:

Not a decaying city and if u had been here u would know it every character I knew from my city I was born in and love til this day

• Diane Daleo says:

You must not have watched “The Wire”.

18. Arlene says:

Sorry but this story is a misfire, Anyone who watched knows LWS was a mini-series, It ended. Period.

19. Tom Charles says:

2.5 million watched the first episode because they put the Breaking Bad episode preview so deep into the first episode.

20. kenara says:

Rare misfire? What? Breaking Bad, mad men and Walking Dead were just appealing to fanboys, geeks and comic book nuts. Just because they’re AMC, they shouldnt produce losers? Please, AMC is a subpar cable channel. They’re not even a major studio.

• Anna says:

I had no idea I was a fanboy…but it must be true since Breaking Bad was my favorite show from 2010 up until the series finale. Actually, it’s still my favorite show. Still waiting to be impressed by something new. Excuse me as I get back to my thesis.

• Byron says:

Interesting, thanks for pointing out I’m a fanboy, geek and comic book nut all at once for simply liking the shows that AMC produce, even though I’m none of those. AMC produces more quality television series than any show on the major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX). Low Winter Sun WAS a rare misfire. Just look at the ratings for AMC shows. I could barely get through the first episode of LWS, as it was unattractive and boring. Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad men, etc. suck you in unlike the mediocre LWS.

21. JAO says:

LWS was depressing. The show was well acted. We watched it because it got a lot of promotion in Michigan and we like the one actor who was in Jericho. Quite real. It should have been a limited series. We still have not watched the 2 hour finale.

22. DJ Nachreiner says:

With any show you need to be able to connect with on some level, or even like, the main characters in order to watch every week. Low Winter Sun simply didn’t deliver a compelling story or characters. I love gritty shows like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and Justified. I tried the first three episodes and was not impressed. Low Winter Sun wasn’t in the same league with those great shows.

• The Beach says:

I agree totally. I lean toward the gritty dramas as well and had high hopes for this one but there was not one single character that I gave a damn about. When this is the case it’s hard to get invested in the show.

23. Diz says:

That’s too bad. I really enjoyed LWS. The first episode was a little hard to follow but then it picked up. Then you understood what was going on and were able to go along for the ride.

24. Ron says:

I tried to give the show a chance, but after 3 episodes, I couldn’t anymore. I thought it was horrible. I understood AMC’s choice to air it after Breaking Bad for the viewership boost. On paper, it made logistical sense. But airing LWS after a show that has (rightfully) been described as one of the best shows ever, really just highlighted how lackluster LWS was. And, looking at the drastic difference in finale numbers (LWS’s 600,000 to BB’s 10,000,000+), this cancellation was inevitable. Obviously you would expect the finale numbers between the 2 shows to be drastic, but the difference between those numbers is astronomical.

25. JBC says:

Honestly, after an episode of Breaking Bad, you couldn’t concentrate on anything else. They should have premiered the show a few weeks after Breaking Bad’s finale, not directly after BB.

26. Andrew says:

I think one of the problems with this show was that it just tried too hard to be dark that it backfired.

Breaking Bad was ending — which was a story about a good guy becoming a bad guy (more or less).

Then, this new show comes along where it’s about a good cop playing bad cop to the point where it came off as some sort of knock off of BB with a different premise (but same intention). It probably didn’t help that the cop was bald — just like Walter White.

BB was over, and nobody really cared what they were willing to put in its place because it was going to fail no matter what. Just my opinion.

27. Daniel says:

The show was ok but it felt like the writers Wanted the viewers to dislike every character, they were not that sympathetic.

28. gwen says:

I really wanted to like LWS and even made it to the finale, but it wasn’t good. The writers wanted to make it something important and gritty but it just didn’t come together. There was a point where the lady detective was called a Chaldean by someone she investigated. Then there was another reference. I looked it up and it is really obscure. Why would that even be in the script? How would a perp know a Chaldean from anyone else? I didn’t care for it after that.

29. Tyler Volz says:

I had it set to record on my DVR but it never did. Oh well.

30. MsB. says:

I tried to like Low Winter Sun but i just couldn’t get to like any of the characters. All of the actors were good actors but this show just wasn’t written well. Lennie James is a British actor and has a show on Hulu called Line of Duty which is a good show to watch. Sorry this got cancelled but maybe it can be brought to Netflix/HuluPlus/Crackle. Maybe if the writers go back to the drawing board and revamp a bit it could be a decent show to get involved with.

31. WORTHYMAGIC says:

The Best thing about this show being cancelled(sorry to all of you who liked it) is that Lennie James is again free to do JERICHO, if some people can get off their rear ends and officially make this happen. Otherwise, it would be great to see more of him in THE WALKING DEAD!

32. tony says:

I think this show would have done better on showtime or hbo. It was a great show, it just couldnt find the appropriate audience on amc

33. Jess Das Me says:

It was great! I mean bad cops, drugs and crazies. Oh well… I liked it. It was truly a rush of real life. Comparing it with other shows is just pathetic. Who cares anyway. On with the show… Who’s next!

34. Dilfisnich says:

A solid show, perhaps an acquired taste though. Sad to see it go before it had a chance to blossom. I guess meth and zombies have greater public appeal than dirty cops in Detroit. A shame.

35. josh says:

I absolutely LoveD Low Winter Sun! Was a great show but the ratings suffered.. and imo they suffered by being on After the Great Breaking Bad whick was maybe the best show ever on cable television. AMC should have started LWS After the “final 8″ of Breaking Bad. I eould have had the first epsoide on after BB gor the first 3-4 weeks, then played episode #2 after BB was over. That would have made people want to see it morr. These television shows now a days rush into their story too fast, they need to tease the audience more by making them wait a few weeks to see whats next & they should always replay the pilot for multiple weeks before the 2nd episode is ever showed. AMC bring back LWS OR replay the 10 episodes and see if they catch on now… at the time LWS was played it suffered from being on AMC while a few amazing shows were also in their prime. Similar to Chris Carter not being in the hall of fame because in the era he played in.

36. sam says:

Guys, I did my search to see if a second season was being aired and to my disappointment I found out it’s done which led me here. I managed to catch the second or third episode and was rivited from the first show I watched. I found the story line, script and filming locations one of the most powerful TV episodes I have ever watched. The cast made it of course but what caught me was the entire approach. Falling in line with the new TV vibe of bad guys getting the spotlight and every one routing for mayhem, this show was it. It was a great production hands down. Maybe too hard core for TV.

• keith says:

I loved the show and you said it…too hard core for tv. I’m sorry to see it go. As for walking dead… it sucks…kill zombies, fight with each other kill more zombies.

37. Mrscee says:

I’m no surprised that the cancelled Low Winter Sun, they would rather cancel a good show than to let some the fake reality shows go that are strickly garbage.

38. lza says:

This show was awful. Glad its gone.

39. Brian says:

Really too bad. I thought the writing was excellent, the characters beautifully flawed and gritty. Love that intro sung by Betty LaVette!

40. Diane Daleo says:

AMC is geting on my last nerve! They cancel “The Killing” and now “Low Winter Sun”! There is so much garbage on TV so it’s rare when well-scripted dramas get offered to us. By all means keep showing B movies!

41. Hugh S. says:

This is very disappointing news.This was a quality show that deserved a second season! I am very disappointed with AMC. This show should have been paired with HELL ON WHEELS and given a 2nd season!

42. Peter says:

I loved this show. The pilot was one of the best shows I have ever seen. What a disappointment.

43. Show needs a bit better writing but overall a good series. I think Netflix should pick it up for a few more seasons at least. i’d watch for sure.

44. Jim says:

It’s a shame-I enjoyed the show. Lennie James is very good, as was Mark Strong.

45. sj says:

Hopefully this series will continue on Netflix. The tension is almost unbearable, the acting impressive, and the premise is based in reality. The only flaw is that there is no relief from the juggernaut of unrelenting intensity.

46. Anthony Milito says:

I’m very disappointed and have been waiting for this show to return for a while. Now it’s not coming back? That is the most dumbest and foolish move AMC can do. This show had everyone I know on the edge of there seat every night when it was aired. I strongly think and highly suggest that AMC brings this back. This show was amazing, brilliant, jaw dropping, dramatically shocking and entertaining. I don’t understand why this show is not here anymore. I will not have anything to do with AMC anymore if this show is not in progress anymore!

47. Tess Compton says:

My husband & I r very disappointed 2 hear about LWS being cancelled. We have been waiting 4 it 2 come back on this fall. It was a very good show we both loved the show. Hope the producers will reconsider & bring it back on along with the original cast members. So sad they always take off the best tv shows.

48. Dan says:

Cancelled? Dumb just dumb

49. sean says:

The show was real good i never saw or heard of the bbc version but i dont need 2