Exclusive

American Idol Exclusive Season 13 Promo Video: There Will Be Guitars

American Idol‘s streak of guitar-slinging winners ended at five when R&B chanteuse Candice Glover took home the Season 12 crown.

The following exclusive promo video for Season 13 (premiering Jan. 15, 8/7c on Fox) , however, signals that singer/songwriter-style contestants are coming back with a vengeance.

RELATED | The X Factor Top 6 Performance Recap: I Stand Here Waiting for You to Bang the Gong

Set to the strains of Season 11 champ Phillip Phillips’ smash “Gone, Gone, Gone,” the ad zeroes in on a handful of real-life (albeit unidentified) hopefuls, offering brief glimpses of their auditions — juxtaposed with headers like “Her Passion,” “His Chance” and “His Destiny.” Plus, there’s a giddy, Golden Ticket-wiedling Jennifer Lopez thrown in for good measure.

Press play below to view the promo, then take our poll and tell us if you’ll be tuning in for Season 13!

1. Joseph says:

Anyone else here just ignore the Audition Episodes now, and wait till the real singers are being veted out via Hollywood

• I don’t, but I do feel the desire to every single time they waste my time with some fake bad contestant.

• Shaun says:

nah,it’s still nice to see the journey of your favorites.See the progress they make.

• HTGR says:

Every since the disgusting over the top S10 manipulations yeah, I didn’t even bother tuning in until it went live (I didn’t even bother with Hollywood week stuff for the most part). I don’t wanna waste my time on that. And now that they have re-united Randy with JLo I’m out of here maybe for the entire season. Maybe if after a few weeks into lives I hear really good things about the contestants and judging and production, otherwise forget it.

• Justin says:

See you in January! You know you will be watching.

Maybe they bussed Haley for a reason, Scotty has sold a ton, while Haley has been dropped…

• HTGR says:

No I will not*. If you see me posting here a lot again next year then call me a liar. (*If I read that they have totally gotten rid of all the nonsense and that there are some truly outstanding contestants then maybe, as I said, I’ll watch the last four weeks, otherwise, forget it.)
          Have fun producing the show this January. Or falling for every last thing hook line and singer and worshiping the judges as gods. Whatever it may be.

• Justin says:

You will claim not to watch, yet you care enough about the show to still post here. Says a lot, eh?

• Jaszy says:

I don’t agree with you. Haley never deserved the awful amount of treatment she got. She should’ve won that season, HANDS DOWN!
          Unfortunately, she’s the most unfairly treated contestant of this show’s history.
          Such a shame, because she has MASSIVE talent!
          (I loved her debut album!)

• Justin says:

Most unfairly treated contestant? Syesha, Allison, Siobhan, and Kris all say hi.

• HTGR says:

Nah not to the same level and they had some arguably strong competition around so it wasn’t night and day. But those ARE just more examples of all the games they play.

• Jaszy says:

Well…that is true, but Haley was my favorite contestant of all time and I abhorred the way she was treated on the show.

2. Kate says:

Seeing Idol posts with Slezak’s byline fills my heart with joy and anticipation for Idologies to come!

3. Scott says:

I’ll watch, some, but I can’t vote for anyone who puts one of those flower headbands on their kid.

4. Ginger Snap says:

Yeah I stay away from the audition shows. But I done with the show as long as JHo is a judge. Been there done that.

• scooby says:

C’mon, Randy’s off the judging panel and Harry’s in. That alone is reason to throw a parade. If JLo says something like “goosies” he’ll be all ‘heck no’ should that be necessary.

• HTGR says:

Yeah but he’s FAR from gone. He’ll just play dirty production games and toss people under the bus from his, in some ways even higher perch, now. And they brought back JLo. She totally sold part way into her first season and became a cheap puppet and all they do is show her performances more than the contestants.
        When they got rid of Nigel I thought it mean that they really got it. But then they bumped Randy up to Iovine’s spot and wasted half their budget bringing back JLo and I realize that they didn’t remotely get it.

• Justin says:

Who cares if they brought JLo back? Have you ever thought about how there is an audience for idol and not just us superfans? Just because they brought her back and made Randy a mentor doesn’t mean they won’t change other things. There is no correlation. Randy and JLo were hardly idol’s biggest problems that needed change. SHEESH.

• HTGR says:

Well the production and phony judging were far an away the biggest problems IMO. Unlimited voting was annoying. Nothing else was all that bad really IMO.

• Justin says:

Phony judging? You must be talking about your beloved show The Voice. And what’s wrong with the production? If you are a Ray Chew hater, then you will be happy to hear Rickey Minor is coming back.

• Justin says:

JHo? She is the best female judge they have ever had. Yes, even better than Nicki, Kara, and the overrated Paula. I wonder if you are some bitter Haley stan. “Ho” makes it look like you are being sexist against a woman.

• GingerSnap says:

Judge? How about self-promoter. How long will it take for her to bore us with one of her “singles”. Or giggle over some cute guy with a guitar – JHo: “Hey Baby”.
        ___________
        I pass. At least Xtina tries to make some meaningful comments.

• GingerSnap says:

LOL about the “sexist” comment ‘cuz I’m a woman. The last time she was on Idol, she promoted her brand. That’s why JHo fits. She’s not interested in judging, she is interested in selling herself.
        ____________
        Sorry, but the thought of watching that again makes me want to vomit.

• MC says:

It’s not that simple imo. JLo (or JHo, if you please) is actually very engaged during the audition rounds when the judges still have real power over who makes it to the live shows. She becomes detached and switches into self-promotion mode when the shows go live. The producers start calling all the shots and the home voters control who advances at that point. The judges are really superfluous on AI at that point since they don’t do any coaching.

• HTGR says:

All true, but I don’t give her a free pass for suddenly selling out and becoming a cheap puppet during the second half of each season and that’s hardly an unimportant part of the season or show either.

• HTGR says:

So the best female judge total sells her soul (despite being mad rich) and is willing to spout nonsense? It wasn’t just the Haley busing either, although that was pretty awful. She spouted all sorts of nonsense about Elise the next season half the time and about plenty of others two. Fake, fake, fake. And does the show really need to blow like half it’s budget on one judge? One who seemed to mostly just use the show, in the end, for self-promotion? I used to like JLo and defend her before she was on AI, but she just comes across as a cheap sellout to me now.

• Justin says:

She criticized Phillip a few times too, but of course you ignore that fact. You just have selective memory that she only criticized the ladies. And who cares if Phillip “deserved” it, maybe Elise and Haley did too. She also criticized Colton the week he was eliminated. Funny how people forget that.

• HTGR says:

She said a lot of silly things (mostly once it got past the audition/Hollywood stages, she had appeared to be very promising her first season during the auditions and even to start with live but then she suddenly did a 180). The 180 turn on Haley was the most ridiculous though and thus the easiest mention (and some of the comments to Elise were particularly ridiculous too) and since those two had had some really stand out work they were the easiest to mention incidents. I didn’t have anything against Colton (and if you heard his exit interview on this site, it was pretty clear he got the Idol game and all the fake manipulation stuff that was going on).
            Jlo though, I mean at times she’d literally say one thing to one contestant and call it a plus and then use the exact same thing one singer later and use it as an extreme negative, etc. etc. And Randy was even worse when it came to that ever since he took over from Simon. Maybe it was production pushing her, but if she was willing to sell out then she should be able to handle the heat for it, she sure got paid enough to handle it. Granted money doesn’t make it easier to handle but if you are so sensitive then don’t sell out for the cash when you are already so rich beyond rich (not that I think she particular cares a whit what people say about what she does on Idol).
            Anyway if you love what she did and don’t mind the over the top manipulations the show finally sunk to, then go ahead and watch. It takes a ton of time to watch and I just don’t care enough at this point to devote that much time in this case considering.

• Justin says:

Sounds like you take the show way too seriously. Manipulation? Your beloved show The Voice is way worse with that. It was manipulated in favor of Adam in Season 8, yet I don’t hear you whining about that. You act like Idol is the worst thing ever yet the Voice and X factor are the best things ever when they have idols problems that you frequently mention, if not worse.

And if you didn’t care about the show, you wouldn’t be coming here posting about it, would you?

• Jaszy says:

LONG LIVE HALEY REINHART! That girl was something. A Goddess! Miss her like crazy!

5. MAB says:

I am so excited about this season’s American Idol. I have high hopes for the judging panel I just love HCJ. I’ve wanted him on the panel for years. Hopefully ten producers learned their lesson after the horrible season last year. All their effort to squash the WGWG destroyed the whole season. Yes they got a female winner who yes has a beautiful voice but unfortunately she doesn’t sell recordings. I really think it is a backlash from the worse season ever. It’s a shame.

6. Timmah says:

I’m staying away, now that they’ve managed to assemble the all-time worst judging panel.

7. Mary says:

I cannot wait, hopefully they have good contestants in there. I hope the new producers learn from last year’s mishap and just let the contestants shine for themselves. I do not care if it is a male or female winner I just want them to be good.

8. Justin says:

I’ll bet anybody who voted “No” in the poll will still be watching.

• GingerSnap says:

I managed to skip Season 8, and passed on the majority of Season 10 & 11. They made a huge mistake in retaining Randy as a mentor (gee, what’s he gonna offer them – You’re in to win it?), and JHo is afraid of offending anybody.

9. Justin says:

I think Idol has the best format compared to XF and the Voice. On those two shows it feels more like a competition between the judges, and then the judges have control over what they sing. There is less freedom on that show and you become less invested.

• ben says:

I agree Justin. I’m over X Factor and the Voice, both of which seem to be shows primarily about the judges and the production. Idol seems to be the only one that is still about the voices and the performance. I still find it the most enjoyable by far.
      Having said that, please go back to a top 12 next year. Top 10 just left me feeling shortchanged.

• GingerSnap says:

No, The Voice has it about right. They don’t waste your time with insipid auditions. They’ve at least given people a reason to participate in the results night with the Instant Save. Idol is still gonna insist on filling time with self-promoters while we wait for the results.
      ___________________
      Idol is losing viewers because it’s too damn slow. I never waste time on results nights. Just hop on the Internet and let them tell me in 5 minutes what happened.

• MAB says:

It’s been announced that result night on the new season of Idol will only be 1/2 hour.

• GingerSnap says:

30 minutes is too long. They could do it in 5 minutes on the performance night, like DWTS. I don’t need to waste 30 minutes of my time waiting to hear who’s going home.

• MAB says:

Both The Voice and XFactor has hour long results shows. Why are you faulting Idol for doing the same? At least this year they will cut it down. Besides I enjoy when they have former idols on to perform. If you are not interested just check twitter to see who is eliminated instead of complaining. Not everyone feels the same.

• GingerSnap says:

One, I don’t watch the X Factor – gave up on that show after season 1. Two, I never watch the results show of The Voice – I catch it on the Internet. Because I live west of the Mississippi and the results are always available on the Internet before ANY of these results shows airs in my city.
            ________________
            I’m totally in favor of the way DWTS has chosen to go on this. The Voice has chosen to give people a reason to participate in the results show with the Instant Save, but again, I can hop on the Internet and see the results. So regardless of which show it is, they don’t get me as a viewer.
            ____________
            I am faulting Idol because it’s a dying show and they’re afraid to change the formula, even though they know it’s not working. Keeping Randy as a mentor and bringing back JHo shows that the new PTB are just as out of touch as the old crew. For all of the changes they’ve made, they could have just kept Uncle Nigel.

• tealeaves says:

Idol is not a dying show. They shot themselves in the foot last season with the changes they made.
            The judges should be fun to listen to. And they should at least sound like they are giving their opinion based on the performance and not just pushing some contestants.
            There should be opportunity for the contestants to show their originality. Very short song lists, over used themes, and too much influence from producers/judges, make the performances less interesting and make it more for the audience to connect to the contestants.
            Voting should start with more than 20 contestants and there should be several weeks of voting before they get down to single eliminations. This is crucial for creating a top 10-12 full of contestants who are not one-note.
            A diversity in genres is a must.

• Bonnie says:

Oh please you are so stupid, where do I even begin? We get it that you think The Voice is the “best thing evah!” Yet you only fault idol. You blame idol for self-promoting their judges? Umm, the Voice says hi. That show is all about the judges, which is why their contestants are never successful after the show. Why do you only watch the show based on the judges? And what makes you say the producers haven’t “changed” their ways just because they hired JLo? The casuals loved her especially compared to Mariah and Nicki. Don’t let me get started on Kara. There are other changes that we haven’t yet heared about. Just because you hate JLo doesn’t mean most others do.

10. Stormy says:

Let me know if and when they limit the voting. I like this season’s judges, but won’t watch again until they balance the voting and stop manipulating.

• HTGR says:

Yeah the unlimited voting and fake manipulation are the two main problems and I don’t see a hint that either are getting fixed.

• Justin says:

Why does the unlimited voting matter? America will vote for who they like in the end. You may say Scotty and Phillip only won due to the tween voting, but they have done really well after the show while Haley and Jessica both flopped. Guess the right people won anyway. And what was wrong with Candice winning? People will vote for talent, otherwise one of the 5 boys last year would have made it further than one of the girls.

• HTGR says:

For one because you feel like either why even bother voting at all (and many don’t) or man this is stupid sitting here voting like 100 or 1000 times. It’s annoying either way. Who want to waste time voting more than a few times and who wants to feel like your vote would barely count unless you do.
          It’s hard to say if the results would be much different or not. My guess would be maybe not all that much if the audience is huge and relatively diverse although it might once audience levels drop and if certain viewing factions drop out more than others. Perhaps the voting becomes more easily dominated by this power base or that that will crazy vote. Any contestant who doesn’t fall into a quick and ready power base may be in a lot more trouble then perhaps. Maybe it sometimes helps a contestant not with a main power base get a few desperate saves and stay a week or two longer, which might be good, I don’t know. It would be really interesting to see all the detailed voting stats.
          But I do know that the whole concept is an annoying one.

• MAB says:

there is no question they should limit the voting for many reasons. I voted my fingers off for Phillip because there was so many websites talking about illegal voting for Jessica and getting around the whole US only thing. Who has the time to sit there for two hours voting. I did it for Phillip because I really, really liked him and still do but I probably would not do it again. I certainly did not do it last year.

• Justin says:

Stop manipulating? Its a tv show of course there will be manipulation. If you still watch the Voice then you are a hypocrite. That show is more manipulated than Idol will ever be. That Holly girl from last year always performed at the beginning of the show while Danielle always was towards the end. Same with Cassadee and Juliette in the seasons before-they tried to rig it in their favor. There will be new producers on idol so maybe the so called “manipulation” won’t be as transparent.

• HTGR says:

They all do, but come on man, Idol took it to completely new levels and they were even willing to tarnish their own contestants for ratings games and to get what they wanted. The Voice has never gone to nearly the extreme with tricks as AI has and they certainly haven’t been willing to trash out contestants to bits to get what they wanted.
        Even one of Idol’s own vocal coaches went on record at one point saying that they didn’t understand what the heck the show was doing and they sounded pretty disgusted by it all.

• MAB says:

It is totally the public’s fault about what happened to the show last year. All the whining and complaining about having a girl win and the whole WGWG thing. They literally banned any guitar playing guys or any guys who had any chance of winning. It was a mockery and what happened. Yes a girl won. Nobody’s even buying her music. It is a shame too, because she has a beautiful voice but she will be forever marked as the winner of the most disastrous, manipulative season of Idol. Its bad enough that the winners have to struggle with the Idol label and many in the music industry do not respect the singers that came from Idol. One of the greatest compliments to a winner is. Wow, I didn’t know you came from Idol. Poor Carrie Underwood, one of the most famous winners coming out of Idol was mocked on blogs doing The Sound of Music because she started out as an Idol winner.

• HTGR says:

What they really needed to do was get rid of any last vestiges of anyone connected to the over the top fakeness when the decline in viewers began in earnest and then play it straight. At least people could swallow whatever happens a bit better then and if they made a big deal about going back the basics, S1, simple, honest, etc. maybe they’d attract back more diverse viewers.
            Another thing is back in the early seasons they made a point to make everyone try to truly sing all sorts of genres, Underwood had to sing Alone as a pop singer and so on and you know back then is also when they produced the truly biggest stars for the most part (P2 is pretty big, although the Olympics surely helped launch him farther and he is only one). In recent seasons they attack contestants, if anything, for trying to be a do anything voice. But back when they made them prove they were out and out strong vocalists who could handle all sorts of things they seemed to produce the biggest stars and keep a more diverse audience watching and they had a more diverse winner set that seemed to come about in a more natural way.

• Justin says:

I would like a link to this so called “vocal coach.” And Idol had to manipulate it this year due to the negative press over the lack of a girl winner and the notion that only WGWG can win. The Voice is VERY manipulated, but you are too blind to see that. You don’t think the Voice pushing Juliett, Cassadee, or Danielle for the win wasn’t manipulated? They changed the iTunes voting system just to benefit Cassadee! But of course if it was idol, you would call it “tasteless manipulation” but since it was The Voice doing it, its okay. That show or The X Factor could do no wrong in your eyes! Even though Idol is the best and ORIGINAL of the three. Don’t forget why you started watching these shows…

And the Voice is all about the judges anyway, why do you love that show so much yet hate idol?

Do you work for A.I.?

• Justin says:

Nope, it must be new to you to see somebody a fan of the show! Do you work for The Voice? Where all their contestants have flopped? And its all about the judges?

Cue the “But they aren’t judges they are coaches!”

• HTGR says:

And yeah there was always some manipulation from pretty early on, even Melinda on one of the videos posted here talked about how the contestants would eventually just get together and laugh over how phony some of the judging would be at times like someone, but all the same it was still to a point that you could ignore it/pretend it away to an extent as a viewer. But starting S10 they just took it a new level completely over the top level and even to a mean and cold and damaging degree to get what they wanted it just totally turned me off (and many others I know). Yeah it was a little annoying maybe how the voting was starting to go more and more before then and sometimes how the judges would judge but many were still able to be whatever about it and they’d just keep quiet and watch as deep into the season as they cared too. But something about the level they took things starting S10 just became ugly in my mind, so over the top, so much BS.
        And then they lost a chunk of the audience after that and the WGWG grumbling among those still left started really getting large and they got themselves stuck in a situation where they had bled away so many voters who might’ve voted for other than WGWG they got stuck into having to stack the deck again guys by seemingly picking a noticeably weaker bunch and I guess it ended up backfiring a bit since by that point such a large percentage of viewers seemed to be about WGWG so they got all annoyed by being stuck with a weaker group of guys to watch it seemed. I don’t know how you fix that at this point. Putting out weak guys annoys one big chunk of the audience and it is a bit fake (although at least the fakeness is all in the early pre-selection stage and it’s not based upon false judging and dirty tricks against contestants that are known), but if you put out even half way decent guys then it seems like the girls may as well not even bother at this point. Maybe they could pick great guys, but only non-country, non-guitar and all from the North hah and those aspects would even out the voting. Of course that itself would be fake too.

• Justin says:

Season 10 was not as manipulated as Season 8. Remember how everything was about Adam and Danny, and how they would throw Allison and Kris under the bus? Don’t remember? Most casuals don’t notice the so called manipulation. Only the superfans like you would notice. Us superfans account for a VERY small percentage of idol viewers. And mean, cold, and damaging? LOL WTF? Wasn’t the big complaint that the judges were too nice? And Haley is a big girl, she still supports the show and she got over it. Please note that the same night of the so called “damage” the judges still called her the best of the night and gave her a standing O. If anything, that is manipulation that they wanted her there.

11. Jaszy says:

I CANNOT WAIT FOR AMERICAN IDOL TO COME BACK! As you can tell, I’m super excited. Despite all the flack the last season got, I loved every minute of it…well…until Angie Miller got sent home. That was such an awful moment, but I’m better now. I just hope to hear more talented girls like Angie Miller, Haley Reinhart, and Elise Testone. The aforementioned singers are my Top 3 Fav Idol contestants in the show’s history. Please, please, please have some great female singers this season! (I couldn’t care less about the boys.) Oohh! I can’t wait!
    I will always love this show. It’s the best!

12. Jaszy says:

Oh, I heard that Elise Testone’s debut album drops in January. If that’s true, I will be eating the ground trying to get it. Fellow Elite fans, UNITE and buy this album!
    Love Elise Testone!

13. Im excited about one audition already, Jillian Jensen will be auditioning. She was in the video `Idol Trivia-All about the judges`. I sure hope she makes it. She was my fave on X factor but didnt make it past Judges Houses.

• Jaszy says:

OMG! That’s so cool. I’m excited for her. She was great on the X Factor, should’ve made it further than Judges’s house for sure. Hopefully her voice is better too.