Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Find Out Who Will Let Down Her Hair as Rapunzel

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Cast Rapunzel Alexandra MetzThings will get a bit hairy on Once Upon a Time when the ABC drama introduces its take on Rapunzel.

And filling the iconic role, TVLine has learned exclusively, will be ill-fated Originals witch Alexandra Metz.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — Where Will Upcoming Episodes Take Place?

Metz will make her debut in the 14th episode of Season 3 — aka soon into the second half, which premieres March 9 — and though nothing at this time is confirmed, there is always the option for additional future appearances.

News of Rapunzel’s arrival was first teased in my Inside Line column; props to commenter Nichole for correctly guessing the role being cast. She wins 250 TVLine Power User Points, which have no cash value.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Preview: Will a ‘Bomb Under the Table’ Blow Up the Storybrooke Reunions?

In addition to her short arc as The Originals‘ Katie, Metz’s TV credits include Chicago Fire and episodes of The Good Wife and Gossip Girl.

Once airs Sundays at 8/7c, with its fall finale scheduled for Dec. 15.

Comments (315)

• What’s the equivalent of TVLine Power User Points to Schrute Bucks & Stanley nickels? I’m so glad the picture on the link on Facebook was false. Great job, Matt!

Comment by Kristina Hammock (@kristinahammock) – December 4, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How sad it must be for the white people to not have their hundredth white character on this show. Truly sad. What, do they expect you guys to be satisfied with Emma, Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Prince Charming, six of the seven dwarves, Rumpelstiltskin, Henry, Robin Hood, Tinker Bell, Hook, Peter Pan, what looks to be at least most of the Lost Boys, Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, and Archie? How rude of them. You need Rapunzel too. Because this show isn’t about re-imaginations or different takes on things, no sir, it is about doing things exactly the same way as they’ve always been done, thus making it pointless and irrelevant.

Comment by Kayleigh – December 5, 2013 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said!

Comment by paniccord – December 5, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely love this comment! I want to plaster it everywhere I see people complaining about this casting.

Comment by magreeda – December 6, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All this politically correct nonsense can take a hike in my opinion. I’m tired of mainstream media shoving the brainwashing notion of diversity everywhere trying to sell the idea that everyone has to think and feel the same otherwise they are a racist, homophobe, etc. Personally, i think an arguement can be made that this recent trend in institutionalized ‘diversity’ just isolates and separates people even more. Makes the differences truly stand out and broadcast why people belong or don’t belong with a certain group which i think is extending beyond mere pride and is now fueling an anti-white agenda collectively by any community of non-white origins. My perspective, you do not have to agree.

So, no, i am not going to give a politically correct response here. Yes, quite a shocker, white people might relate to white representation of characters who have tradionally been represented as white by disney. And you know what? They have a right to, just like others feel the opposite and like the casting against disney type. I was taken aback with the selection because it goes against how I see Rapunzel. And you know what? So what. Don’t mind if someone doesn’t like it. Doesn’t mean the actress will be bad and i will still watch to see how it works out but i don’t always like all the Ouat twists nor do i have to. Nope, was not into Mulan suddenly being into women either. I didn’t really feel the casting choice for aurora even though i think sarah’s acting is fine. Did not like the neal is bae twist etc.

Personally, i got fed up reading all the anti-white rhetoric here more then being bothered that there are people happy with the casting choice. I think there is nothing wrong with anyone liking a different representation but i find it a bit hypocritical that there is this subtle acceptance at taking punches at white folks or white representation but that isn’t in anyway racist? While reasoning it away with numbers or with who was racist against who first? I say this because this all comes down to all this backlash crying racism when people won’t be verbally or mentally bullied into accepting a non-white representation of a character that alot of people associated as being white and golden blonde. Tough.

So, said my peace and stand by it. We don’t have the right to control or bully anyone into mainstream views in my opinion. I won’t be surprised if this response gets alot of backlash, so be it. You have the right. But that is my exact point. So do i and others. No need for me to read or respond any further.

Comment by heather – December 22, 2013 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so happy when I saw that there were 200+ posts on Rapunzel. And then I read the posts. I weep for the future of the human race if this is what we have to look forward to.

Comment by Jj – December 5, 2013 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people do realize that Disney did not invent any of these characters, right.
    They are very very old…

Comment by marina – December 5, 2013 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • worry not! they’re going to die her hair golden, and paint her skin white. and when they cast tiana they will choose a white actress, die her hair black and paint her skin black.

Comment by Stanford Max Leef II – December 5, 2013 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already did that in the past. They were called Minstral shows and they painted white people black to stereotype, mock and dehumanize black people. So yeah, they won’t be doing that because that’s racist as hell.

Comment by Lauren – December 5, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your sarcasm detector is apparently malfunctioning.

Comment by JC – December 5, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve actually seen racists suggest this as an 100% legitimate option, so I’ll wait till the OP tells me himself that it’s sarcasm, then I’ll believe it.

Comment by Lauren – December 5, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You do know that the Grimm brothers didn’t create the Rapunzel story? It is losely based on a persian tale named Rudaba from the 10th century i think, and Rudaba has long black hair..

Comment by Jules – December 5, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So now Grimm brothers are the only fasionable fairytale writers… If people read the original tales from them, they will be very very surprised… Specially with Cinderella story.

We have Grimm Brothers, Andersen, and many other writers… anybody can adapt the story to its own.

So if they want to say that this character “Rapunzel” is afro-american, for me it is perfect as far as they explain right her origin.

Another thing is what Kenneth Brannagh did in “Much Ado about Nothing” when they cast someone to play a role because of the name, It gets on my nerves when i saw Denzel Washington playing the role a prince from Aragon (“Spain”). It is as bad as Mickey Rooney doing an asian in “Breakfast in Tiffany”

Comment by jm – December 5, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no issues seeing more characters of different races being shown, I just don’t like them turning one race into another. Rapunzel is supposed to gave blonde hair and has been that way in every adaption I’ve seen. It’s like those comic books where they are changing miss marvel into a Jewish girl or green lantern I think it was into a gay character. I have no issues with them being represented, but I don’t see why they couldn’t just make new characters, new superheros, or in this case, a new princess? I don’t see why Once can’t make new characters and make them into something iconic.

Comment by Alyssa – December 5, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They won’t make new princesses because the premise of OUAT is founded on the classic fairy tale characters. And if you don’t like one race being turned into another, WHY? The new Captain Marvel IS a new character, and she’s Muslim, and Scott Alan was one of FIVE Green Lanterns, and they believed they could tell a different kind of story by changing his sexuality. He’s still the same character fans know and love, but with a new direction. Both of these characters are the response to greater diversity and representation. I literally see NO REASON why this should be a problem, unless different sexualities, religions and races bother you, in which case you should probably look at yourself as the problem.

Comment by Lauren – December 5, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just take a look at Amazon and in your libraries to see the range of multicultural retellings of fairy tales. These tales have been reshaped and rewritten for years. There are many versions with different ethnicities.

Comment by Bri – December 5, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so betting on the fact that the exact moment some people saw the picture, they felt the incessant magnetic pull on their fingers towards their keyboards and their brains started cooking up the different forms they can spout out ‘RACIST’ and be all self-righteous.

She is pretty, but I was pissed that Aurora was a brunette even though she is one of my least favorite princesses and she was actually a brunette in the fairy tale.

Rapunzel’s golden hair is iconic. They had to cast a hero who was AA to get people off their backs, i just don’t get why they couldn’t do it with Tiana, or even anyone who’s blonde hair wasn’t stressed on all the time.

Comment by Marlene – December 5, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really excited to see her on the show!

Comment by Emily – December 5, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to say 2 things:
    1. I love this casting. She was cool in the Originals and was good in the good wife. I don’t care that she is black.

2. I do have concerns that she is black b/c the original character was white with golden blonde hair. I don’t know if purists of the story will care. I don’t care, but, I am not all people. And lets be honest, some shows and some characters can’t be changed. Case in point, the new Ironside. Good actor, but, the history doomed that show (as did the bad stories). I know a lot of people who were upset that Ironside was played by a black actor. Heck, in comic books, aren’t people fuming over a Puerto Rican Spiderman? Didn’t it take years for a black Green Lantern to be accepted?

In closing, I think the choice is bold, but, not without risk. I hope she is judged for her acting alone, and not her color.

Comment by Daniel Campisi – December 5, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll keep an open mind, after all, in the original stories Peter Pan is a good guy and I love what they’ve done with his story line!

Comment by AW – December 6, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just going to throw this out there, and I know a majority of people absolutely hated the movie, but in Daredevil, they turned the traditionally white character – Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime – into a black character – Michael Clark Duncan – and I can honestly say, he played that character exactly as that character had been in the comics leading up to the movie release. He was amazing! I can’t imagine any other actor pulling that off. Also, Samuel L. Jackson makes a much better Nick Fury than David Hasselhoff did. Granted, for 50+ years Nick Fury was a white dude, until the Ultimate marvel universe came out. Even in the comics, they’re willing to make changes, and those changes have been fantastic, not just for racial equality, but the stories, the writers, the actors… everything about the changes have been fantastic. Why the hating? Who cares who the hell they cast? You’re still more than likely going to watch the show, because the acting is fantastic, the story is fantastic, and you enjoy it. So go shove your head up your Rumple and get over yourself. Just watch the show. If you decide you don’t like it, guess what? You don’t have to watch it. I for one am going to enjoy it. I’m 33, male, straight, and I’m in love with a Disney tv show. How bout you?

Comment by ppsm08 – December 6, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, the story of Once Upon A Time is supposed to be, ‘We have fairy tales; This is what actually happened’. So, if the story is, in the fairy tale she was blonde, in reality, this is her story, then that’s the story. No one freaked when Pan was evil. Or that Rumples is also the Crocodile or Beast… why would you freak out over a chick not born where you thought she was, or looking different than you thought she did? Just so, so close minded. Just watch the story. It’s absolutely worth it…

Comment by ppsm08 – December 6, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s really awesome they are thinking outside of the box of the way we traditionally see Rapunzel. I like the twist. Kind of like how they made Jack a woman from Jack and the Beanstalk. I don’t think of it as a race issue. I think of it as a way to awaken our imaginations and make a new story from an old story that had been told for so long. Besides in the show they have these fairytales that everyone in the real world knows and we’re finding out that the storytellers didn’t tell them quite right or left things out. In the show’s story they are doing this I mean. So we get to rediscover these old stories but told in different ways that make them new and exciting and at the same time coincide with what’s going on currently in the show. I like it. I say bravo for casting someone who doesn’t look like the traditional Rapunzel. And I’m whiter than sour cream lol

Comment by Heather – December 9, 2013 03:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tvline is the best it can show you anything you would like to watch any thing and I am convinced that it is the best
    it truly is the best

Comment by michelle chada – December 9, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love tvline

Comment by yolandah ngwenya – December 9, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m assuming she’ll be Ursula’s daughter, with Ursula played by the actress who provided her voice a couple episodes back.

Comment by Benjamin Carr – December 9, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In all the fuss over how many white, black, Asian and Native American princesses there are, has anyone noticed there are no Hispanics ? Hispanics comprise a much larger portion of the population in the US than any of the above-mentioned..but that’s on Disney. Once Upon a Time clearly doesn’t follow Disney or any of the other fictional fairy-tale characters origins very closely. I see no problem with having a black Rapunzel as long as her hair is long. I’ve accepted a hunky Captain Hook.. and an evil Peter Pan…Rumplestiltskin is a wizard and Red Riding Hood is a sexy werewolf.. so what difference does it make ? if the story is written well, people will watch. .

Comment by TinLV – December 9, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the 1997 Rodger’s and Hammerstein movie “Cinderella” Brandi played Cinderella and Whitney Houston played the fairy godmother. This has been done before. I see nothing wrong with this. I like all the twists that OUAT does on all the different fairytales.

Comment by Mike – December 11, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t see what the big deal is. OUAT has always changed the fairy tale characters to however they see fit. They do what they want. If they want to make Rapunzel black, they can. It’s their show. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Racism isn’t even an issue here OUAT has a variety of races besides white, maybe not a lot of black people, but there’s no law saying they HAVE to have a bunch of black people on the show! Now they’re adding a black character, so people should stop complaining about how “racist” the show is I mean seriously what the hell people

Comment by jinx – December 13, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would just like to point out that Rapunzel’s origins are German.

Comment by Rory – December 31, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do have to debate this and that? I’m sure she will make a great repunzel whether she is black, white, green, purple. It doesn’t matter!!

Comment by Tigger – January 2, 2014 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We have to have this debate, it’s a part of our culture.

#postracialamerica

Comment by Claitun Bigzbee – January 12, 2014 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said.

Comment by Allergic to Ignorance – March 23, 2014 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally think it is offensive to call her casting as a twist. I can see the angle that you guys are looking at it and totally understand. But it’s not a twist that they cast a woman to play her. If they had made repunzel a guy or made her have short hair or something completely different from the original story it would be a twist. Having a different skin or hair color than what you think the original described isn’t a twist. It’s just a casting descision not a change to the story.

Comment by Tigger – January 2, 2014 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder how many children, who haven’t been affected by the history of race relations our nation has been plagued with, would complain about a fairy tale and it’s characters. I’m not shocked about adults and their reactions to race, I am slightly shocked that this reaction is in regards to a fairy tale.

Comment by Claitun Bigzbee – January 12, 2014 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thankfully, she’s not dark-skinned because people’s heads would explode.

#its2014not1914

Comment by Claitun Bigzbee – January 11, 2014 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t Rapunzel a natural brunette in the Disney version anyway?

Comment by Thera Pitts – January 18, 2014 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d just like to remind you all that Rapunzel, is a GERMAN FAIRYTALE!! Rapunzel is a GERMAN name!! GERMANS are WHITE!!! OMG HOW DARE SHE STATE THAT HORRIBLE FACT!! Well it’s true, get over it. It’s not racism, it’s the fact that if they wanted to make one of princesses black, they picked the wrong one, I wouldn’t mind Ariel, or Cinderella being black, but RAPUNZEL?!? Rapunzel is a German name, how is that not obvious?!?! She should be GERMAN!!! (Notice I never said blonde either). ITS NOT RACISM!!!

Comment by Steph – January 20, 2014 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch, when the episode airs she’ll have on a long, blonde wig. LOL

Comment by Berte – February 3, 2014 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rapunzel in my country call “zlatovláska” mean literally gold hair. So wtf is this?! I am really disappointed..so they will make Pocahontas blonde or what? I think it would be better stop watching it before they destroy my childhood. :/

Comment by Leslie – February 11, 2014 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think everyone is forgetting that Disney did not create the story of Rapunzel. Plus, no one in Once Upon a Time is like their ‘Disney’ character counterpart. Mulan is Bi in Once Upon a Time for heavens sake! So who cares who plays Rapunzel. I am just curious how they are going to put her into this crazy storyline that I have grown to love. I can’t wait!

Comment by Brina – February 22, 2014 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They made Jack a female, they have made characters multiple fairytale characters in one, they have made fairytale charcters related and they made little red riding hood dress like a stripper and now everyone is losing their cool because Repunzel isn’t white? Oh no! OUAT is changing the way we know fairytales! It’s not like they haven’t been doing it since the start or anything…

Comment by Kevin Leigh Gerhardt – March 15, 2014 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • European stories = White characters

Stop stealing our culture and trying to package it as your own!

Comment by William Wallace (@Infinite_Limit1) – March 19, 2014 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well they did. Now what? Don’t watch if you don’t like it. Simple as that.

Comment by Allergic to Ignorance – March 23, 2014 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in the original Grimm brother’s tale the line is actually Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair to me. Disney’s fluffy interpretation is not the end all be all. enjoy your debate

Comment by Rashida Kadjogbé – March 25, 2014 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fairytales are like a religion every culture starts from the same one and branches on into their own version. And African culture had fairytales othe cultures stolen and converted so…And I love black Rapunzel. I’m a black girl with naturally long hair that people would assume fake and people don’t know how to respond to that so they either lash out or move on when they notice all of it is mine. So finally yes Black Rapunzel who is pretty! And ignorant world there are blacks out there who live in the shade of gray. Get over it we are not aliens.

Comment by shaee – March 27, 2014 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post