AHS: Coven Casts Fringe Vet as… Satan?!

Get More: Casting News

Lance Reddick American Horror StoryLance Reddick is about to raise some hell on American Horror Story: Coven.

The Fringe alum has landed a devilish multi-episode arc on FX’s creepshow, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 4 Will Be a [Spoiler] Story

According to EW.com, which first broke the news, Reddick will play Papa Legba, Coven‘s version of “voodoo Satan” and a pivotal figure in the life of Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett).

He’s slated to debut in January.

Comments (27)

• yes yes yes!!!!!

Comment by Jo Jo – December 4, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was definitely foreshadowed in the title sequence. Good casting.

Comment by Teag – December 4, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Super excited.

Comment by DL – December 4, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great casting choice but for me AHS Coven is falling a little flat this season. Jessica Lange is badass as usual but it’s just missing that must see zing feeling. I have a hard time getting into some episodes because I’m just bored. I keep hoping that will change.

Comment by wrstlgirl – December 4, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People say this every season.

Comment by Teag – December 4, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • because the show is kinda fringe :p

Comment by Shaun – December 4, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmm, well I don’t know anything about that, it’s the first time I’ve said it because that’s how I feel.

Comment by wrstlgirl – December 4, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • dw! last season i only started loving it until ep10 and after that it was SO GOOOD, so just keep watching :)

Comment by kevin – December 4, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m actually clicking with this season much more so that either of the previous two, which I found great, but just so relentlessly dark. This one has is just as gruesome, but there’s that rebellious and empowering undercurrent beneath the horror.
      Every time something truly awful happens, you’re sort of rooting for it rather than against it, because the “monsters” are sort of the heroes this time around.

Comment by wordsmith – December 4, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the producers and writers are not calling Papa legba the devil? in the Voodoo faith Papa Legba is the gatekeeper between the living and the spirit world; he is the one who is called to send messages and request to the spirit world. Voodoo has had a problem for centuries from some christians claiming,there faith worship Satan.

Comment by Tori – December 4, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK you. I saw this on another site and after I calmed down (seriously, there was major squee-age goin’ on in this joint), I noticed that “voodoo devil” reference and nearly came off the couch again.

Comment by Annie – December 4, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Papa Legba is many things, but “voodoo Satan” is not accurate. Hopefully he is described more appropriately when he makes his appearance.

Comment by Ben – December 6, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh this is officially amazing. Fan freaking tastic.

Comment by the girl – December 4, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colonel Cedric Daniels! Much respect towards Lance; he is a great actor!

Comment by NotafanofNeverland – December 4, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Lance is awesome, I hope Anna Torv follows him to AHS!

Comment by Andrew Moore – December 4, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right cause everything is all about Anna Torv!!!!

Comment by Pill queen – December 4, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF I thought AHS was ending soon (season wise). It seems like they might rush things, if they knew the series was doing so well early better to make each season about 20 episodes so “castings” aren’t rushed towards the end…sigh.

Comment by Mel – December 4, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What are you talking about? They knew the season would be 13 episodes because that’s how long cable seasons are. Nothing was rushed, if they just cast him that means they took their time looking for the right person.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – December 4, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Sigh*

I don’t care if it’s “just a TV show” but Papa Legba is NO voodoo Satan. Flame* my comment all you want but I’m getting tired of misrepresentations of non-Abrahamic religious and spiritual figures. “It’s just a TV show” notice how people only use that excuse when it doesn’t affect them?

*pun intended

Comment by discopunkk – December 4, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING CASTING!!

Comment by Lisa – December 4, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was clearly foreshadowed by the AHS writers convincing the Lost writers to call his character “Abaddon” on Lost 7 years ago.

Comment by ben – December 4, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Lance in everything he does. Cannot wait to see him on the small screen again.

Comment by tvdiva – December 4, 2013 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So exciting! I love him.

Comment by Tai – December 4, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zachary Quinto would make a good Satan.

Comment by steven – December 4, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh that would be perfect! Now I wish it would happen…

Comment by Rachel – December 5, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now if they would only cast Ian McShane as non-voodoo Satan, I’d be one happy girl.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 5, 2013 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHS is seriously flawless with casting. This season is blowing me away.

Comment by Ryan O'Callaghan – December 9, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post