AHS: Coven Casts Fringe Vet as… Satan?!

Lance Reddick American Horror StoryLance Reddick is about to raise some hell on American Horror Story: Coven.

The Fringe alum has landed a devilish multi-episode arc on FX’s creepshow, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 4 Will Be a [Spoiler] Story

According to EW.com, which first broke the news, Reddick will play Papa Legba, Coven‘s version of “voodoo Satan” and a pivotal figure in the life of Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett).

He’s slated to debut in January.

1. Jo Jo says:

yes yes yes!!!!!

2. Teag says:

This was definitely foreshadowed in the title sequence. Good casting.

3. DL says:

Awesome! Super excited.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Great casting choice but for me AHS Coven is falling a little flat this season. Jessica Lange is badass as usual but it’s just missing that must see zing feeling. I have a hard time getting into some episodes because I’m just bored. I keep hoping that will change.

• Teag says:

People say this every season.

• wordsmith says:

I’m actually clicking with this season much more so that either of the previous two, which I found great, but just so relentlessly dark. This one has is just as gruesome, but there’s that rebellious and empowering undercurrent beneath the horror.
      Every time something truly awful happens, you’re sort of rooting for it rather than against it, because the “monsters” are sort of the heroes this time around.

5. Tori says:

I hope the producers and writers are not calling Papa legba the devil? in the Voodoo faith Papa Legba is the gatekeeper between the living and the spirit world; he is the one who is called to send messages and request to the spirit world. Voodoo has had a problem for centuries from some christians claiming,there faith worship Satan.

• Annie says:

THANK you. I saw this on another site and after I calmed down (seriously, there was major squee-age goin’ on in this joint), I noticed that “voodoo devil” reference and nearly came off the couch again.

• Ben says:

Agreed! Papa Legba is many things, but “voodoo Satan” is not accurate. Hopefully he is described more appropriately when he makes his appearance.

6. the girl says:

Oh this is officially amazing. Fan freaking tastic.

7. NotafanofNeverland says:

Colonel Cedric Daniels! Much respect towards Lance; he is a great actor!

8. Andrew Moore says:

Great news! Lance is awesome, I hope Anna Torv follows him to AHS!

9. Mel says:

WTF I thought AHS was ending soon (season wise). It seems like they might rush things, if they knew the series was doing so well early better to make each season about 20 episodes so “castings” aren’t rushed towards the end…sigh.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

What are you talking about? They knew the season would be 13 episodes because that’s how long cable seasons are. Nothing was rushed, if they just cast him that means they took their time looking for the right person.

10. discopunkk says:

*Sigh*

I don’t care if it’s “just a TV show” but Papa Legba is NO voodoo Satan. Flame* my comment all you want but I’m getting tired of misrepresentations of non-Abrahamic religious and spiritual figures. “It’s just a TV show” notice how people only use that excuse when it doesn’t affect them?

*pun intended

11. Lisa says:

AMAZING CASTING!!

12. ben says:

This was clearly foreshadowed by the AHS writers convincing the Lost writers to call his character “Abaddon” on Lost 7 years ago.

13. tvdiva says:

Love Lance in everything he does. Cannot wait to see him on the small screen again.

14. Tai says:

So exciting! I love him.

15. steven says:

Zachary Quinto would make a good Satan.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

Now if they would only cast Ian McShane as non-voodoo Satan, I’d be one happy girl.

17. AHS is seriously flawless with casting. This season is blowing me away.