Stephen Moyer on True Blood's 'Sad' Series Finale, Possible Happy Ending for Bill and Sookie

true blood series finaleHBO’s decision to bring True Blood to a close after its upcoming seventh season was the correct one — so believes leading man Stephen Moyer.

“I think they made the right call to say, ‘Let’s finish it on a massive run of 10 episodes,'” he tells TVLine, adding that the cabler considered extending the series through an eighth season. “It was either going to be one season or two seasons… and I would’ve definitely [stayed] on. But it’s very difficult with a show like ours to keep finding a Big Bad and creating all the drama around it.”

RELATED | True Blood Exclusive: Eric’s Season 7 Fate Revealed!

Moyer — who stars alongside Carrie Underwood in this Thursday’s three-hour event The Sound of Music Live (8/7c, NBC) — admits he remains mostly in the dark about what showrunner Brian Buckner has in store for the vampire hit’s final stretch. But in the following mini-Q&A, he shares what little he does know about the 10-episode farewell. He also opens up about the “sad” goodbye that awaits him and the one ill-fated True Blood pairing he’s still mourning.

TVLINE | When I spoke to Brian at the end of Season 6, he mentioned that this final season would be a reset of sorts for Bill. He specifically said that he doesn’t want to see Bill be an a–hole anymore. Reaction?
I think that it’s really hard. The characters can’t [always] be who the audience — or the actor — wants them to be at all times. That would be dull. A bunch of people loved Bill and Sookie together, but a whole bunch of people didn’t. So you can’t just please this bunch or that bunch. As [series creator] Alan Ball once said, “I’m not interested in people being happy.” And I’ve always said, as soon as you see one of our couples get together, you know [they're] f—ed. As soon as Hoyt and Jessica got together I was like “No! They’re going to f—ing kill this, I know they are!” Because [that relationship] was so beautiful… I loved playing [Bill]. I love him. Whether they’re were things that I feel were done well or badly or right or brilliantly, I love him.

TVLINE | Brian also said the final season will focus more on Bill-Sookie, specifically the Bill-Sookie-Alcide triangle.
I know nothing. I’m directing the first episode, as you probably know, and I haven’t seen [the script]. We shoot [The Sound of Music Live] on the fifth of December and I start prep on True Blood on the ninth.

TVLINE | Wow, no break for you.
No. [Laughs].

VIDEO | The Sound of Music Live Trailer: Stephen Moyer Revives a Classic

TVLINE | Personally, do you think Bill and Sookie are the endgame?
I don’t know whether they can be, given everything that’s happened between them. What Bill did was open up something inside her that she had never had before. He was the key to a new world for her. And maybe that’s all he was supposed to be — a window into that world. I don’t think that there is a right or wrong answer. I think a bunch of people would be happy if that was the story and a bunch of people would be pissed off if that was the story. I don’t read that s–t, so I don’t care, ultimately. All I want to do is do the show and have fun doing it.

TVLINE | What does Anna think?
She would have a completely different answer. She would probably say, “Sookie should go off and become a barwoman in New York.”

TVLINE | How are you feeling emotionally about this chapter of your life coming to an end?
Sad… You know what a crazy group of people it is. Around Episode 4 or 5 [of every season] we always start getting panicked about that season ending, because it’s a f—ing family. That word is bandied about a little bit too much, but it really does feel like [a family]. I’m going to be very excited about what’s to come [career-wise], but slightly bereft that it’s all going to be done.

1. wow says:

Ahahhahahahahahaha

2. Sorry Stephen – LOVE you all, but MASSIVE? I think that’s a VERY poor choice of words considering they shorted us last year, and NOW in the FINAL season are choosing to do it again. Lame lame lame. We deserve extra to make up for last season.

3. Blam says:

I’m excited for the last season! Sookie should have fun with alcide but then end up will Bill because their relationship is extremely intense and you can feel it in all their scenes. I feel like Eric is symbolic of the bad boy in society that girls obsess over because in their hearts they think that they will be the one to change his ways…except that pretty much never really happens and the girl ends up alone. I like Eric but I just don’t see his character settling down with Sookie long term…can you imagine him taking care of her when she’s old or something? Not at all. At least Bill has said that he wants Sookie as she is and that he understands the suffering associated with being a vampire. Eric should be with another vampire and be sexy without being a romantic Romeo which is clearly Bill’s role in the show at this point

• Jen says:

I do wonder, at times, if some True Blood viewers are on crack. How else can I explain some of their comments, like the precious nugget of wisdom excreted by Blam above? Of course, Bill is a Romantic Romeo who will remain loyal to Sookie. Just like he remained loyal to Lorena, Nan, Sophie-Anne, Salome, and Lilith, whose bodies he has left decomposing behind him. How many times have we seen Bill do a complete 180 in his essential beliefs now? Four? Five? I must admit, I’ve lost track.

But Eric, who was loyal to Godric for a thousand fricking years, who spent a millennium looking to punish the murderer of his human family, is incapable of committing to Sookie long-term? Right. If you believe that, I have some lovely beachfront property to sell you in Montana.

Viewers who’ve paid any attention at all should understand that Eric, while he refuses to put much faith in abstract ideals of good and evil, is intensely loyal to PEOPLE. They may change, even turning on him, but he remains loyal. The idea that old age would make him abandon Sookie, when he stuck by Pam while she was ROTTING is ludicrous. It is equally evident that Bill is an idealist. He believes in good and evil. The problem, for those close to him, is that he places loyalty to his idea of what’s right above his relationships with those he loves. So he leaves Lorena when he feels what they are doing is wrong. He knocks Jessica across the room when she is insufficiently pro-vampire. He is willing to sacrifice Sookie to Warlow to accomplish his mission of saving all vampires. If it came to a choice between his ideals and Sookie, we know he’d sacrifice her for them. He proved that in 5×12 and most of season six. Eric, faced with the same choice, would always choose the person he cared about. That’s why he murdered the general at the end of season five to escape the Authority compound, when Sookie was in danger.

The conflict between Bill and Eric isn’t between a bad boy and a romantic. Both Bill and Eric are ruthless. The difference is that Bill is ruthless for ideals, sacrificing everything and everyone for them. Eric is ruthless for people. He’d do something “bad” in a heartbeat to save someone he cared about. You have to decide which kind of bad boy you like better, and would be better for Sookie. Frankly, I’d take people over ideals any day of the week. YMMV.

• iamtrue2bill says:

I can’t believe people are still ranting on from last October! Amazing! I guess TB has certainly stirred up emotions, and it appears some viewers have concocted their own story, since a lot of what they refer to does not reflect what’s in the script. Only one season left to rant on about how poorly Eric has been treated. On TB Eric has never been the lead character, he’s supporting, just like Jason, Sam, Alcide, Tara, Pam, and Jessica. However it is written for S7, I’m sure the ranting will go on for awhile. Some viewers are just never satisfied with this terrific show!

• iamtrue2bill says:

Yes, on TB they’ve written Eric as a very old vampire who has a completely different view of the world and of human society than Bill has. Bill is not yet 200 years, and so is a relatively young vampire. He is still very attached to human society and that’s why mainstreaming is something he will work toward. Whether or not it works out, who knows?
      I completely agree that Eric needs a vampire for a mate, and a fairly old one at that. He was so in love with Nora, and she was such a good match for him. I was very sad when she died. Sookie is attached to her human nature, and her Bontemps life. Bill, as an original Bontemps resident who wants to live there, would be much better suited to settling down and mainstreaming there.
      In temperament and lifestyle choices they make a good couple. However, who knows what S7 will bring, and whether or not the “HepV” vampires will cause so much death to humans that mainstreaming is a lost cause? Added to that is Bill’s time being possessed by Lillith in S6, and his hurtful behavior towards Sookie. She may not even be aware that it was he who saved her from Warlow, since she was unconscious at the time, and Bill was unable to enter her house when Warlow showed up there. Thank goodness Nial and Jason killed him!
      So we’ll have to see how Sookie feels about Bill, and all vampires. She obviously felt Alcide was a safe choice, but that may not last either. She has certainly had her share of difficult romances in a very short time. But that’s TrueBlood for you!

4. No matter iff some one searches for his necessary thing, so he/she needs to
    be available that inn detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

5. Krissy P says:

I did not read all the books. I stopped around Book 7 because I thought they were getting really boring. My favorite has always been Book 1 and Season 1 of True Blood. I love Bill. He is and always will be my favorite character. I think the show is quirky, silly and way out there, but it’s always been fun. I think of the show and books as two separate entities so I have never been bothered by the differences. Season 1 is the closest to the books of any other season.

I like Eric too, but I freaking love Bill. I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t care. I hope Bill and Sookie are end game but if not, I hope Bill and Eric are still alive in the end. Sadly though, it’s not looking good for Eric.

• iamtrue2bill says:

Krissy P, I agree with you totally! Bill is the romantic hero of TrueBlood. This character has gone through so much, has been challenged in so many ways, and has evolved more than any other character on the series. He and Sookie are connected deep down in their core beings. I am holding out hope that they do find their way back to each other, and find their love again.