Supernatural Fall Finale Recaplet: The Enemy Within Makes a Deadly Strike

Supernatural Season 9 RecapIt was angel warfare on Tuesday’s Supernatural, but the real battle was inside Sam.

Turns out the angel healing him isn’t who he claims to be. In a surprise twist, Ezekiel is revealed to be Gadreel, who was in charge of protecting the garden from evil. Alas, the serpent entered the garden and Earth was infected with badness. Someone had to take the blame, so Gadreel was locked up in Heaven’s darkest dungeon. But now he’s out and free thanks to Metatron, who proposes that they rebuild Heaven together, but only include the angels they like, basically.

RELATED | The CW Picks Up The Originals, The Tomorrow People and Reign for Full Seasons

And would Metatron be the leader?

“It is a burden I feel I must accept,” he replies. What a sacrifice! But will he be called God? “Semantics. I don’t know that I’d take on that name, necessarily. When the time comes, we’ll call me X.”

Gadreel accepts Metatron’s offer to be his second in command. To prove his fidelity, Metatron orders his new soldier to slay an enemy.

RELATED | Arrow Meets The Flash: 8 Things to Know About Barry Allen’s Introduction — and His Future

Meanwhile, Castiel gets caught in the middle of the angel war and winds up captured by one group. When one of the angels makes a plea to Cas to raise him to Heaven so he can become a soldier for Metatron, Human Cas kills him and takes his grace. He tells Dean he’s not sure how he feels about being an angel again, but adds, “If we’re going to war, I need to be ready.” He then reveals that Ezekiel died in the fall. The news forces Dean to tell his brother everything that he did to heal him, speed dating-style. There’s no softening the blow here since they need to get rid of Gadreel ASAP.

“Again, you thought I couldn’t handle something, so you took over!” Sam yells.

“I did what I had to do! You would have never agreed to it, and you would have died!” replies Dean, urging his bro to expel the angel within.

Unfortunately, “there is no more Sam,” Gadreel announces after killing Kevin Tran – the name on Metatron’s enemy card.

Supernatural fans, how are you feeling about the unexpected death? Were you surprised by the Gadreel twist? Hit the comments with your thoughts and eulogies and don’t forget to grade the episode via the poll below!

1. Jami1331 says:

Wow!!

And the live tweeting between Jared, Misha and Stephen Amell was amazing!!! So good!

2. Would you consider adding an additional rating choice of “Awesome by Kicked me in the Teeth and Broke my Heart”? Thanks!

• Cathy Stead says:

Agree. Didn’t see the Kevin Tran hit coming nor Cas getting mo-jo even if it was “borrowed”.

• Mel says:

It was kind of a terrible episode, except for Cas getting his powers back. And NO his mojo is “his” even if he stole it, the owner is now “dead”. Possession is 9/10 of the law, so Cas is back!

• ejdax37 says:

May Thoughts exactly! As soon as he walked up to Kevin and his poshter changed from Sam to Gadreel I started yelling at the tv “No not Kevin NO!” He was right he always trust them and ends up screwed. Pour one out for Kevin.

• I didn’t understand why Dean didn’t just pray for Cass to come and save Kevin. He’s got his Mojo back. He could fix him.

• Luigi Santoro says:

Yeah but it would be ridicoulous if everything were fixed by Cass. If Kev resuscitates there would be no sense in Supernatural. I mean “Cass, it’s Dean, sorry, er, the fake Zeke killed Kevin, can you resurrect him?” “Cass,sorry, it’s me again.. Can you resurrect Bobby too?” “Ehm, sorry it’s me…Dean, I cut my fingers while I was slicing bread…could you fix me?”

• If you have a character getting his angelic powers back in one scene and another character getting killed in the very next scene then it would be ridiculous NOT to assume Dean would ask Cass to fix it. You want to talk about ridiculous??? How many times have Sam and Dean died? Gabriel literally killed Dean hundreds of times. If angels can’t heal angelic damage then that needs to be stated because I’ve watched every episode of this show (the first 6seasons multiple times) and it’s never been said that angels can’t heal what other angels have done. I know they like to dabble in religious plot lines but they need to have some consistency in the mythology.

• maloose says:

I think angles can’t reverse or heals the trauma caused by ‘angelic’ weapons or grace, otherwise Cas would heal Pamela’s eyes or there wouldn’t be a need to have that medic fraction who’d put the lost ones out of misery. They’re not immune to their own kind.

• Mike Sulles says:

Yes but when Lucifer has killed Bobby in 5×22, Cass has resurrected him, and remember Lucifer is an angel (arcangel, I guess). I don’t know, but I think Cass himslef will explain why he can’t fix Kev. There are many methods to resurrect Kev, Bobby etc etc, like a deal with Crowley or something else. Remember also that when Sam has asked to resurrect Adam, Dean has answered “leave him in peace” or something. However, we have to wait the 16 of January

• sufyan ali says:

cass wouldnt be able to arrive because he got his grace but not his wings so he’s not able to teleport

• My vote too! They can’t kill Kevin Tran. It’s just too sad.

• Natalia Carbajal says:

I pretty much suffered an anxiety attack and cried for an hour

• Shan says:

agreed.. It sure did leave me wanting more though!!! I knew Kevin’s time wa sup when Metatron gave Galdreel the yellow card.

3. Lalalala says:

I’m sad Cas got his grace back so soon! We’ve barely seen him as human, I was excited for more. I wanted more Destiel with human Cas! We got hardly any

• Josh says:

Yeah, I was hoping he’d stay human until at least the series finale…

• Kody McGrath says:

Or is he simply on borrowed time with this borrowed grace?
        In the angel’s weakened state, maybe their grace isn’t enough to keep another angel sustained and Cas will need to take down a few more to keep his power up.

• Simpatico says:

The angels are not in a weakened state only powers they lost in the fall was their ability to teleport according to Jeremy Carver and Robert Singer

• Weezy says:

Completely disagree…I’ve had more than enough of human Cas. He’s pretty much a pointless character to the show without his powers. I think this was the perfect time to make him an angel again as the season is heating up and the war is on. With Gadreel running loose, Dean needs every resource he can muster.

• Cathy Stead says:

Agree. The reason the “Cas” character worked so well on this show was because he was exactly what you would NOT expect an angel to be (at least in the very beginning). A naive, endearing nerd in a trenchcoat who could also be a totally brutal bad ass. As an angel he is a milleniums-old soldier — brave and cunning as seen in stealing Theo’s grace from him. As a human, the writers played him as a socially awkward outcast.

• Cathy Stead says:

I would expect a nod to “Destiel” shippers when Dean and Cas re-group in episode 10

• Jen says:

You do realize that Destiel doesn’t exist, right? And it’s never going to.

4. Cheryl says:

Its a set up Gadreels motive isn’t what it seems in the finale

5. Cheryl says:

Jared will be tweeting about the episode with Jensen

6. Cathy Stead says:

Wait a minute — Gadriel is part of the Grigori — a group of angels sent down to watch over humanity. He is the angel who gave humans weaponry. He also seduced Eve in the Garden of Eden and is the father of Cain. Gadriel is the angel that the “Punisher” is based on — self-proclaimed assassin against crime. So is he really a bad angel or just trying to get closer to Metatron to take him out and restore his reputation? Sucks about Kevin that he had to be the “sacrificail lamb” for Metatron. Now that Cas has mo-jo, can Dean pray to him?

• Why says:

This angel might not be Gadriel though, it could be Gadreel. Gadreel was one of the devil’s chief collaborators……

• Simpatico says:

Metatron said Gadriel/Gadreel was the angel that God most trusted and he let the Serpent into the garden so yes he collaborated. If it really matters super wiki will have the proper spelling. Either way we haven’t heard the last of him.

7. Dee says:

Ugh! Couldn’t they have killed off Castiel instead???

Poor Kevin :(

Kind of surprised he lasted this long, though, honestly….

Why does Sam always end up being driven like a beeyotch? I guess nobody can really resist 6’4″ of hunkiness…

I cannot wait 5 weeks for this to resolve itself!!

8. Ava says:

Glad we got into the meat of this story finally! Yes I was shocked to see Kevin Tran die! I guess with the angels fall out of heaven, he didn’t have an archangel attached to him to protect him. Cas showing up as an agent was great!!! I am glad he got grace and is an angel once again though, I don’t want to see Cas suffering and outcast by Dean any longer! Learning more of the war between the faction of angels trying to takeover heaven was interesting and what Metatron’s plan is but most interesting is the twist about Ezekial being dead and the angel inside Sam is really Gadreel, the most trusted by God but failed to protect the Garden and the WTF moment when he said Sam is gone!!! That he did a convincing job of pretending to be Sam! What??? Dean is gonna need Cas to help get Sam back! I can’t wait until Jan 14th!

• Cathy Stead says:

Gadriel failed to protect the Garden from the Serpent because he was seduced by Eve. Cain is his son. And I agree with you re: the Sam is gone and he did a great job pretending to be him. WTF??? Gadriel also told Metatron that “it is a mess in here, I do not even know where to start.” So what? Sam is dead? Or is Sam just a vessel for an angel like Jimmy Novak is just a vessel for Cas? I am also glad Cas has his grace back. I am expecting some really good BAMF-ery out of him.

9. Becky Ann says:

Kevin has to come back or I will not watch anymore. I’m tired of SPN killing characters for 0 reasons. It’s stupid and they only do it to serve Dean’s manpain, not for plot reasons and it disgusts me.

• Carrie says:

That’s not true. They obviously kill off characters to move the plot forward. In the world they live in, it only makes sense that they’re going to lose a lot of friends. They’re battling powerful demons and angels. Their lives are extremely dangerous.

• LSJ says:

Agreed. I’m personally sick of fans who are like, “I’m not watching this show anymore because X isn’t on it or because A & B aren’t together”. Then don’t watch.

• sue says:

I really miss Bobby, and I wish the writers could figure out a way they could bring him back. I loved watching him ‘spar’ with Sam and Dean. He had some fantastic one-liners!

• Mary says:

Kevin wasn’t killed for no reason. When he was talking to Dean at one point over what he was reading on the Angel Tablet. He said there something written so small that he could barely read it, as if Metatron did not want it known. So that may have been something on how to reopen heaven, and Metatron knew that Kevin would eventually translate it. So he needed Kevin dead to prevent it.

10. Mikaylah says:

Honestly, I’m disappointed. Dean gets more guilt heaped on him, Sam’s agency continues to be taken away, Cas got his powers back far to soon, and Kevin died for no good reason.

11. Fantastic episode. Shocking, upsetting, and unsettling death.

12. Haruto Sohma says:

Darn.

13. Bob says:

I feel as if there was a little look of regret on Gadriel’s face at the end. Despite how emotional and well done the ending is, I truly hope they reverse the Kevin death. I like what they’ve set up with having a larger cast of characters. It keeps the show from getting stale and Kevin was great. (And we never got to find out if his mother was alive!)

• Cathy Stead says:

And what about the “Angel Trials” on the Angel Tablet. And what about the mysterious hidden notes by Metatron. And where is the rest of the compendium of tablets? If there is one for Hell/Demons, one for Heaven/Earth, it would make sense there is one for Earth/Mankind. Kevin has to be brought back and preferably with an archangel guardian like Gabriel.

14. Pono says:

Miss Kevin freakin’ Solo already :( Glad Castiel has some powers back, but what did Kevin do to deserve this? So far the Winchesters have brought nothing but misery for him and I was hoping something good was going to happen when all this is over. Last week it was detective Carter (Person of Interest), last Sunday it was Herschel (Walking dead), and today Kevin!!! Why? What is up with mid-season finales this year? Should I be afraid to watch the next Big Bang Theory? :)

• K says:

Thanks so much for the spoilers for shows not even remotely related to this article or the rest of the comments – nice of you to ruin it for others outside of the US that haven’t gotten to see them yet.

• LSJ says:

Then stay away from online articles from websites based in the U.S. I lived in Europe for a year and if I didn’t want to be spoiled on a U.S. TV show, then guess what? I didn’t visit websites based on T.V. shows! It’s not that difficult.

• K says:

WHY would I expect spoilers on The Walking Dead & Person of Interest on a freaking SUPERNATURAL article?!
          I’m absolutely fed up of unthinking, insensitive people like you blaming your own faults on people you’ve upset.
          To avoid spoilers on one show, I don’t read that show’s articles. It’s that simple. And I think you’ll find that’s what everyone else does. To avoid entire American websites when 90% of television is from the US these days, is utterly preposterous!
          I came here to read about Supernatural. And then you ruined two other shows in one fell swoop for absolutely ZERO reason. It is absolutely pathetic to ruin a completely unrelated show on another show’s article AND THEN BLAME SOMEONE THAT GIVES YOU $HIT FOR IT. What, were you expecting flowers?! JFC, get a clue, and ask Santa for a bit of common sense while you’re at it so you can understand that when you ruin something for someone; they’re gonna get angry. Instead of blaming THEM for YOUR indiscretions, try accepting the responsibility for being so freaking inconsiderate in the first place.

• Cathy Stead says:

Yep, It’s been a really sucky week!

15. kinipela says:

It sure would be nice if the recaplet was written with an ounce of interest from the writer. I always check here after watching Supernatural hoping to read a recap and see what others thought of the episode. I was pleasantly surprised to see one today, only to read a very dry and matter of fact recaplet. Its just very disappointing for a fan’s show to get so little love.

• K says:

I concur. It started off well, and then it was like they were taking a timed exam & suddenly realised they had 60 seconds left to explain the rest of the subject.
      Deadlines, eh? Such a mood killer. ;-)

• Meg says:

It would be completely unfair to her, but Kim Roots really does the best recaps and I wish she could do them all.

16. paniccord says:

I wish they’d killed off Crowley or Castiel instead.

17. Ann says:

This episode was the best one so far for those two writers but I am so over the angel story line and the whole Sam/Gadreel/Ezekiel thing. Please show, move on! Looking forward to a Crowley/Addadon war. And… was it really necessary for Kevin to get Brianned? I liked him.

18. xcakeholex says:

Somehow I hope Kevin is not dead…it was so unexpected :o Awesome episode, I can’t wait for the next one but uggh, I hate cliffhangers -.-
    I love to see Sam/Dean brotherly moments! <3

19. Rzayo says:

Not kevin, now who will read the tablets?

20. Kim says:

I have to agree about the author of this. Please get someone who actually enjoys the shows and can display an ounce of interest. This reads like an essay written under duress by a pouty 15 year old who has done the bare minimum to get a grade. This show has passionate fans, surely you can find someone who shares that passion to write the recaps.

21. proxy sites says:

Hello mates, how is all, and what you would like to say on the topic of this article, in my view its
    actually awesome in favor of me.

22. Kris says:

Damn. Not Kevin! Personally, I’m tired of the whole religious twist to the show. I’m with Sam and miss the days of the wendigos. I thought this was Supernatural not Superreligios. Bring back the fun shows! But I’m conflicted since I love Cas, Crowley and poor Kevin.

23. If Metatron is the scribe of God, meaning that he writes the word of God, how then could God/Chuck have been a writer who wrote the Supernatural novels? Wouldn’t Metatron have had to write them for him?

24. Carrie says:

Terrific episode, great twist, sad ending. I’m hoping there will be a way to bring Kevin back. Will they find someone else who is able to translate the tablets?

25. Ann says:

RIP Kevin Tran, AP student. I was so hoping we would get to see more of you this season instead of having you go away. Metatron is a bad, bad angel. Cannot wait until he gets his comeuppance.

26. DarkAlliance says:

To me, Kevin’s death wasn’t a big surprise. He really didn’t have much more to add to the show anymore. He couldn’t make out Metatron’s writing, had to rely on Men of Letters’ notes to make the sigils, and he also read and deciphered the demon tablet and parts of the angel tablet (what he could make out, of course). It honestly seemed like throughout the episode, they were making a case for Kevin to have outlived his usefulness to Sam and Dean. So, it seemed only natural that if anyone were to die in this episode, the most logical person would be Kevin. It’s a shame though, I always wanted his life to get better and him to be reunited with his mother. Here’s a question though, if Kevin is dead and not coming back, who is the new prophet?

27. With havin so much written content do you ever run into
    any problems of plagorism or copyright violation?
    My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either
    authored myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it
    up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any techniques to help stop content
    from being ripped off? I’d certainly appreciate it.

28. Isis71 says:

You missed the whole Kevin died!!! So good, so traumatic, and the tweeting between Stephen Amell and the boys was amazing.

29. Your style is very unique compared to other people I’ve read stuff
    from. I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book
    mark this site.

30. Whatever says:

At least Kevin doesn’t have to be anyone’s b*tch !
    His life was never going to be his own . He was never going to be happy again. At least now he can party or do whatever he wants in “his heaven” according to Supernatural mythology.
    I’ll miss his character but just because he died doesn’t mean we won’t see him again…

31. TPH says:

You spoiled it! I couldn’t watch this episode last night, so was watching it on my computer. When the name Gadreel was mentioned, I did an internet search to find out who that was. Right there, in the search results, the heading for your article is “Gadreel kills Kevin Tran.” Argh!

32. Anonymous says:

Are you kidding me? Spoiler in the caption??
    While watching the episode I googled for “gadreel” to get some background info, and this is the second entry that showed up on google!

Thanks for ruining this episode for me…

33. Mrs. Peele says:

i think it’s wrong to ‘end’ kevin at least now… he was a prophet of the lord, a little higher up on the food chain, and that probably metatron figured he would find a way to reverse his spell and reopen heaven… having said that… surely cas who has some angel mojo back can resurrect him i mean it’s not like angels haven’t done this before. to suit their own purposes – adam comes to mind … or if not him some other angel… i understand the shock effect value of this but regular people have been brought back so why they want to keep him ‘dead’ is beyond me… once his job of deciphering the tablets is over, he could have gone back to a ‘normal’ life… there’s that word again…it really isn’t necessary to keep him dead….

34. Heaven says:

I am so upset about Kevin Tran dying! Why would they do that???? They BETTER bring him back. Are they trying to make us not like the show?

35. Brian says:

Great episode. Unfortunetly I do think Kevin had to die. Dean needed to see what his actions caused. He once again did everything on his own. It never works out for the boys.

I’m glad I get to see the war because it’s time to move on. Time to get back to demons and monsters. Time to see the bad guys. The angels with free wills is boring now. Who really though Zeke was really inside Same with good intentions? And the freaking previews for 2nd half already show huge SPOILERS.

36. 😊😊😊 says:

Kevin didn’t deserve to die he’s been through so much.they need to bring him back ASAP

37. I wonder who will be the next prophet? I assume when one prophet dies another takes their place. Maybe it will be a woman? A strong mother type woman who doesn’t take anyones crap and can put Dean/Sam/Crowley in their place when they need it.

38. Houda says:

it was awsome (I LOVE THE WORD THANKS TO DEAN ) but I hated Kevin’s death, the poor guy was just thrown into the deep end with no prior notice and now dean is gonna get back to the guilty state of mind he always and as always because of Sammy :( too bad Dean seemed happy at last with his own bed and all

39. Wesley Wallace says:

If they ever bring Kevin back…someone let me know…I’m tapping out of Supernatural until then…CW shows are all the same…the majority of the supporting cast has to die.

40. dallph says:

I was very sad to see Kevin die. He was so trusting and worked so hard for Dean and Sam. I think they are going to have to turn to Crowley for help because he got some key info from the tablet. There will be battles raging between the angels and Cas and Crowley and Abidon. I also think that Gadriel has other motives and may still be a “good” guy. This has been a good season and very nostalgic.

41. So gutted that Kevin was killed off in this episode!! But just a thought what if cas does bring him back but, in the style if Buffy the vampire slayer, because Kevin was dead another prophet has awakened and between te two if them they can read the indecipherable writing on the tablet? That would make my day and introduce a new character!!

42. Jake says:

hey hey…. I think we can algree that Garth will save the day right ?

43. sue says:

I read some fantastic comments from all you Supernatural fans. I’ve watched it from the beginning and have enjoyed each and every episode. I love it when they throw some humor into the mix while Sam and Dean are killing demons! I’m going to go off the main road and ask … “why haven’t the ‘boys’ figured out that a can of WD40 can fix a squeaky car door!” I know they LOVE that car and they keep it tuned up and running like the beauty it is. If I knew their address I would mail them a can myself!!!

44. michael catalano says:

Remember everyone when one profit dies another takes his place,so there will be somebody to read the angel tablet

45. Simão says:

or they can just ask death
    he seams nice xD

46. mvic says:

Bring back kevin, that’s so unfortunate that he got killed. Maybe he’s just blinded and castiel in time heals him or something.. c’mon hope they bring him back!m

47. Monique says:

Who else are they going to kill off? I miss Kevin and Bobby so much! How come the Winchester brothers can die and always come back? But everyone else has to become a ghost?