The Blacklist Fall Finale Recap: Daddy Issues

Get More: Recaps

BlacklistFinale2The Blacklist‘s fall finale finds Red fighting to survive a brutal abduction at the hands of a pair of old foes, while Elizabeth risks her marriage (and her life!) to save him. Oh, and a very important someone finally catches wise to a theory we’ve all clung to since the very beginning: Perhaps Red has some paternal ties to the aforementioned agent?

WHEREFORE ART THOU, ROMEO? | Red’s former associate/fellow Blacklister Anslo Garrick continues his reign of terror within the task force’s compound, as Cooper refuses to open the box and release the informant to his captors. However, when Liz is captured and nearly killed before his eyes, Red forces his “cell”-mate Ressler to give up the door code (it’s “Romeo”) and turns himself over. Anslo, seeing that Liz is important to Red and thus important to him, escapes with the pair. But it’s not long before the former is able to flee the getaway vehicle — an ambulance in which a paramedic successfully removes Red’s internal tracking device. As such, Liz’s attempts to trail the transport are derailed.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard

A MOLE AMONG US | After that naysaying Department of Justice dame Diane pulls the plug on the task force in favor of solely locating Reddington, Liz and her covert cohort Aram begin digging into how Anslo and his team found Red and their secret location in the first place. Unfortunately, it turns out that someone within the organization has been tipping off the intruders via calls from burner phones that regularly occur a few seconds after Red arrives in the “post office.” As for where the calls are headed, Aram gives Liz an address, which just so happens to belong to the Apple Man’s surveillance-filed building across the street.

Fearless as ever, the agent breaks in, locates the live feeds of her home and subsequently kills the man who approaches her from behind with a gun. (Is he absolutely, positively the Apple Man?!) In desperate need of help and unable to turn to her FBI colleagues, Liz calls Red’s contact “Mr. Kaplan” and, almost instantly, a buttoned-up, middle-aged woman arrives to clean up the scene and help find Red. Using the possible Apple Man’s GPS history, the pair — along with Red’s right-hand man Dembe — find a high-tech surveillance outpost that has been watching the task force for months — and that includes the aforementioned higher-up, Diane.

KILL THE MESSENGER | How’s this for a twist: Anslo is just the “hired help” in this entire scenario. The mega-criminal was tapped to capture and torture Red for none other than Alan Alda. The TV vet makes his Blacklist debut as a liason for some sort of higher criminal power, one that very much wants Red to keep his mouth shut. “I thought we had an arrangement,” he says to a drugged and distressed Red. “The people I represent, they’re nervous… We could have killed you every day for the past two decades. But we know what you have, and we know what will happen with it if you turn up dead. And in exchange, we trust that our secret will remain secret.”

Red insists that regardless of his informant ties, he has not divulged a word. As a semi-show of good faith — at least, until he can verify the Blacklist-wielder’s claims — Alda’s alter ego lets him go, warning, “There’s nowhere you can go, there’s no one you can trust to keep you from us.” Anslo soon learns that he can’t, as he was promised, kill Red, so he threatens Liz’s life instead. Unfortunately for him, Red isn’t as unconscious as he thinks, and the always-one-step-ahead mastermind ends his old foe’s life. Liz & Co. soon arrive on the scene, but Red has already escaped.

RELATED | TV Calendar — 2014 Midseason Premiere Dates

THE BIG QUESTION | Red soon calls Liz to let her know that he’ll be “gone for a short while,” but is always with her. “Wherever I am, whatever I’m doing, if you are in need, I will be there.” It’s that sentiment that possesses Liz to ask Red the question we’ve long wondered ourselves: “Are you my father?” Hesitating for a second, Red responds, “No,” and then, for good measure, adds, “Lizzy, be careful of your husband…”

EVERYTHING ELSE | After Anslo intercepts Tom’s call to Liz — and announces his plans to kill her — the maybe-murderer insists that his wife leave the business. “You need to stop,” he pleads. “You need to walk away from this job before it destroys you.” She’s semi-receptive, but throughout the hour she repeatedly puts her job first. Elsewhere, a now gravely injured Ressler is taken into surgery. Thankfully, he pulls through and is soon reunited with his ex-fiancee, who he learns is now engaged to someone new.

So, what did you think of the fall finale? Grade the episode below. The Blacklist returns with new episodes Monday, Jan. 13 at 10/9c.

Comments (155)

• What if Red is Lizzie’s brother and Alan Alan is both their fathers? Maybe Tom works for Alda. OR maybe e chick in the picture on the wall of mutilated naked guy was Liz’s mom and Alda’s mistress whom he had killed but never knew she had a baby and Red hid her to protect Liz. Don’t know how Tom would fit in to that scenario though.

Comment by tracy – December 3, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think that the surveillance that Cooper showed Jane Alexander’s character talking to a man will end up being Alan Alda’s character. What if they are Red’s parents? I don’t think Red is Lizzy’s father just for obvious reasons but I could see him being the father of Ressler’s fiancé or Ressler’s fiancé.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – December 4, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure that was Harold with Jane Alexander’s character. I don’t think they are Red’s parents and Crowley is Red’s former employer, although Red insisted his loyalties still lie with Crowley. Jane Alexander’s character is part of the corrupt group of shadowy folks.

Comment by Sam H x – December 4, 2013 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I go back and forth on Liz and Red is he or is he not her father. However LIz was adopted by her father when she was 4 by someone Red just happens to know. The house that Red burned down had a child’s height measurements until the child was 3. Remember right before Red killed Liz’s adopted father Red told him that he would always be her father. So that might explain the no answer. However who is that girl Red looks up on FBI computer? She doesn’t look like Liz. Liz could be daughter one of Red’s and Alan Alda’s bosses. Red could have been ordered to watch and take care of her by all possible means. Liz could be just an “assignment” for Red and nothing more.

Comment by Lori – December 4, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think she is Alan Alda’s kid.

Comment by Dana – December 4, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Red was married, or in a relationship with Lizzie’s mother. When he accessed the Federal data base he was looking for a woman. Maybe Lizzie’s mother.

Comment by Brenda – December 4, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What kind of car did Lizzie and Kaplan drive off in outside her place?

Comment by Suse – December 4, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was a VW but they blinded the brand for hidden advertising reasons, I guess

Comment by Ewout – January 2, 2014 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Red killed her mom and she was little and took her in because he had a soft spot and gave her to a friend to raise. I believe her “mom” was the one he removed out of the book of people he had killed and she didn’t know who the missing person was. Still wanna know what Red knows about her husband as part of the last scene of the season was to “be careful about him”.

Comment by tillislynn@aol.com – December 6, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. Probably more so than her relationship to Red.

Comment by Dancer – December 6, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just revisited the pilot episode – Did anyone else pick up on the scar on her right palm/wrist matches the engraving on the box found in the floorboards with Tom’s passports. HMMM. I’m watching episodes multiple times to catch up on litttle details. Good job NBC.

Comment by karen – December 8, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just saw the first 10 episodes over the last 3 days, very exiting show indeed. Is it any use trying to figure out the truth behind the relation between Red and Lizzy and the role of Tom? Well, at least it’s a fun thing to do. I can hardly believe the father thing due to all obvious DNA evidence that would have popped up already. This even closes the door on any other blood-line relation. So what is it about Lizzy that makes Red so protective that he would even give his own life?

Comment by Ewout – January 2, 2014 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t know what to think! I cant help but to still belive that he’s Lizzie’s father. I think that he hesatated because (like a couple people have already said) people that dislike Red (and as we find out in this last episode that there are alot of people who dont like him) could be listening in on the conversation and they could us Lizzie as a prop to hurt Red, also as Amber said the picture Red took out of the stewmakers book could be Lizzie’s mom. The reason at the beginning of this comment I said “I don’t know what think!” is because the actor’s and actresses keep on saying that they dont think that’s the direction the writers are going in, of course they could be doing this to throw us of so that we will be suprised when they anounce it, also who’s that young girl Red searched on the computer? Is that his daughter? Does he have two daughters running around? So to wrap up my thoughts, I still belive in my heart that Red’s Lizzie’s father. but I’m confused about this girl? Who is she? I guess we’ll just have to wait and see:(

Comment by KoKo – January 2, 2014 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe he ws her mother before ahe had an operation….

Comment by hjhjhj@web.de – January 3, 2014 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The rabbit and the fire

Comment by vin – January 6, 2014 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of
    space . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled
    upon this site. Reading this info So i am satisfied to exhibit that I have an incredibly
    excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed.
    I so much certainly will make certain to don?t overlook this website and provides it a look on a continuing basis.

Comment by family law – March 22, 2014 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post