Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: [Spoiler] Returns!

It’s a mystery that’s been nagging Grey’s Anatomy fans for weeks, and it’s about to be solved.

Last month, ABC released a logline for this Thursday’s episode that included this tantalizing tease: “A familiar face returns to the hospital.”

PHOTOS | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive First Look: April’s Sisters Arrive For the Big Wedding (and it’s Awkward)

Well, TVLine can now exclusively ID the top-secret visitor and preview his/her emotional return (translation: spoilerphobes, hit the nearest exit).

The individual checking back in is… Alex’s dad, once again played by Dexter vet James Remar.

What brings Jimmy back? Has he done the simple arithmetic and figured out that Karev is, in fact, his son? And how does Jo figure into all of this? Answers to those Qs can be found in the video player below…

Loading video...

1. Babygate says:

Love Alex. Wish I cared more about this. But it’s good that he’s finally getting some kind of backstory. I always hoped we would meet his little sister though. Now, there’s a story. He always felt guilty about leaving her behind and his brother tried to kill her. She must be a mess. Alex’s dad is just a deadbeat. I wouldn’t spend too much time on him.

2. Olivia says:

LMAO at this underwhelming “return”. So a familiar face now is anyone that we have seen for 5 minutes on the show. Oh Grey’s, never change :)

3. Stefan says:

Lame.. he was just introduced a couple of weeks ago :/ But whatever – they need to resolve the storyline anyway

4. deimuteba says:

i would have thought someone more important than that… i mean a familiar face? i thought adison or burke lol

5. Francecsa says:

familiar face?? he’s not a “familiar” face! we saw him twice… i was hoping another (real) familiar face would return :(

6. Emily says:

I was really hoping for Amelia or even Addison, but U know it’s a l

7. Maki says:

I though it would be Adison or someone. Camila earlier stated Alex’s dad would back. Better sooner than later. I thought the story between them would be stronger, it’s quiet the let down from my pov.

8. J says:

Definitely not a big surprise and not a familiar face if you ask me…

9. ggny says:

What a let down was really hoping it was Addison

10. Anthony says:

Still can’t picture James Remar as anything other than the widowed guy that tried to go after Annie Camden on 7th Heaven.

11. Azerty says:

Worst secret ever. For one moment I thought what the hell Addison? Izzie? Burke? I even thought of O Malley (would love that, just for a flash back) aaaaaand we are talking about Harry Morgan.

12. Beth says:

The fact that Ausiello didn’t put the returning character’s name in the twitter posting, meant that it wouldn’t be anybody really big. If Kate Walsh were returning, he’d have her name in the Twitter post, as a way to get people to click the link and read more.

Marketing 101, people.

13. Chris says:

This looks awesome! It is by far the most entertaining storyline this season for me. Can’t wait! Thank you Ausiello!

14. Tony says:

I was really hoping it was Teddy. Miss Kim Raver so much.

15. Tinemi says:

Ok… ABC’s idea of “familiar face” is soo different from mine. I was hoping for someone more… familiar like Kate Walsh or Kim Raver.

16. Jeffrey says:

I was really hoping it was Kim Raver. I miss Teddy :(

17. Anna says:

Am I the only one who expected it to be Kate Walsh? I’m a little disappointed after reading it’ll be James. Nothing against the guy, love him, but “familiar face”… C’mon! Give us Kate!

18. 777 says:

Was hoping it will be Amelia.. This season lack a fun character.. She could bring the joy back to the show

19. dsrbroadway says:

Jo/Camilla is one of the worst character/casting choices in the history of the show, and Alex’s storyline has been a snooze all season long. I’m supposed be excited by his dad returning? I’m sure he’s just going to come on and then die.

• canadian ninja says:

I used to agree about Camilla – I mean the idea that she’s not a princess but some tough street kid is about as believable as Kepner being the last American ninja – but then they showed Jo in her underwear and I decided she was allright.

20. cdeno says:

I find it interesting that Ausiello provide a sneak peek before ABC has even provided a promo for the episode. At least someone cares that this show is still on and ironic enough its not the network or the creator.

21. canadian ninja says:

I was totally expecting it to be Shannon Lucio – she played the girl who George saved from the bus. If not for her George would still be there…she’s a hero.

22. Hayes says:

Not a single “returning” character deserves that kind of introduction unless it’s Heigl.

23. greysfan says:

Familiar face? When you said that i thought Burke, Izzie or someone who left but Alex’s father? Not that familiar. Nice try.

24. N says:

Awe, come on! I thought it was Izzie!

25. Dani says:

If I hear about a familiar face returning I don’t think about a recurring character that was just introduced. I think bigger, like Addison, Amelia or someone we do actually have a history to. So that news is kind of lame. Who wasn’t expecting that he’ll eventually return?

26. Kimm says:

Thanks Michael. This is a great storyline for Karev and I’m glad that it did not end in the bar. Those who are complaining are just ridiculous. Seriously?!

27. Choco says:

Don’t really care about this storyline to be honest.

28. Chreeees says:

The video isn’t working properly…and I’m underwhelmed at the return.