Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: [Spoiler] Returns!

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

It’s a mystery that’s been nagging Grey’s Anatomy fans for weeks, and it’s about to be solved.

Last month, ABC released a logline for this Thursday’s episode that included this tantalizing tease: “A familiar face returns to the hospital.”

PHOTOS | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive First Look: April’s Sisters Arrive For the Big Wedding (and it’s Awkward)

Well, TVLine can now exclusively ID the top-secret visitor and preview his/her emotional return (translation: spoilerphobes, hit the nearest exit).

The individual checking back in is… Alex’s dad, once again played by Dexter vet James Remar.

What brings Jimmy back? Has he done the simple arithmetic and figured out that Karev is, in fact, his son? And how does Jo figure into all of this? Answers to those Qs can be found in the video player below…

Loading video...

Comments (39)

• Love Alex. Wish I cared more about this. But it’s good that he’s finally getting some kind of backstory. I always hoped we would meet his little sister though. Now, there’s a story. He always felt guilty about leaving her behind and his brother tried to kill her. She must be a mess. Alex’s dad is just a deadbeat. I wouldn’t spend too much time on him.

Comment by Babygate – December 2, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BTW, it really was a no brainer that it would be Alex’s dad returning. I never got the big deal about it.

Comment by Babygate – December 2, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO at this underwhelming “return”. So a familiar face now is anyone that we have seen for 5 minutes on the show. Oh Grey’s, never change :)

Comment by Olivia – December 2, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lame.. he was just introduced a couple of weeks ago :/ But whatever – they need to resolve the storyline anyway

Comment by Stefan – December 2, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would have thought someone more important than that… i mean a familiar face? i thought adison or burke lol

Comment by deimuteba – December 2, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My first thought was Burke lol

Comment by lolita – December 2, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jajajaja mine too! I guess they should leave Cristina out by making things up with Burke so she can get her happy ending… but I´m sure Shonda will kill Cristina with a tornado or something…

Comment by Virginia – December 17, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • familiar face?? he’s not a “familiar” face! we saw him twice… i was hoping another (real) familiar face would return :(

Comment by Francecsa – December 2, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The fact that you saw him already and know who he is constitutes a ‘familiar face’

Comment by Chris – December 2, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping for Amelia or even Addison, but U know it’s a l

Comment by Emily – December 2, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yikes!

I know it’s a long shot!

Comment by Emily – December 2, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I though it would be Adison or someone. Camila earlier stated Alex’s dad would back. Better sooner than later. I thought the story between them would be stronger, it’s quiet the let down from my pov.

Comment by Maki – December 2, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely not a big surprise and not a familiar face if you ask me…

Comment by J – December 2, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a let down was really hoping it was Addison

Comment by ggny – December 2, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still can’t picture James Remar as anything other than the widowed guy that tried to go after Annie Camden on 7th Heaven.

Comment by Anthony – December 2, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The dude has been in movies and TV for 3 decades and that is the obscure thing you can’t detach him from?

Comment by Chris – December 3, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst secret ever. For one moment I thought what the hell Addison? Izzie? Burke? I even thought of O Malley (would love that, just for a flash back) aaaaaand we are talking about Harry Morgan.

Comment by Azerty – December 2, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that Ausiello didn’t put the returning character’s name in the twitter posting, meant that it wouldn’t be anybody really big. If Kate Walsh were returning, he’d have her name in the Twitter post, as a way to get people to click the link and read more.

Marketing 101, people.

Comment by Beth – December 2, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks awesome! It is by far the most entertaining storyline this season for me. Can’t wait! Thank you Ausiello!

Comment by Chris – December 2, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping it was Teddy. Miss Kim Raver so much.

Comment by Tony – December 2, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok… ABC’s idea of “familiar face” is soo different from mine. I was hoping for someone more… familiar like Kate Walsh or Kim Raver.

Comment by Tinemi – December 2, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping it was Kim Raver. I miss Teddy :(

Comment by Jeffrey – December 2, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who expected it to be Kate Walsh? I’m a little disappointed after reading it’ll be James. Nothing against the guy, love him, but “familiar face”… C’mon! Give us Kate!

Comment by Anna – December 2, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was hoping it will be Amelia.. This season lack a fun character.. She could bring the joy back to the show

Comment by 777 – December 2, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jo/Camilla is one of the worst character/casting choices in the history of the show, and Alex’s storyline has been a snooze all season long. I’m supposed be excited by his dad returning? I’m sure he’s just going to come on and then die.

Comment by dsrbroadway – December 2, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to agree about Camilla – I mean the idea that she’s not a princess but some tough street kid is about as believable as Kepner being the last American ninja – but then they showed Jo in her underwear and I decided she was allright.

Comment by canadian ninja – December 2, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it interesting that Ausiello provide a sneak peek before ABC has even provided a promo for the episode. At least someone cares that this show is still on and ironic enough its not the network or the creator.

Comment by cdeno – December 2, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was totally expecting it to be Shannon Lucio – she played the girl who George saved from the bus. If not for her George would still be there…she’s a hero.

Comment by canadian ninja – December 2, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you bashing on George ? HDU ?

Comment by Sidney.B – December 2, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • See if you were a fan of someone awesome (like Sloan) you’d have a definitive ! after HDU instead of a makesmeredithcryduringsex ?

Comment by canadian ninja – December 2, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL A+

Comment by sexyback – December 3, 2013 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a single “returning” character deserves that kind of introduction unless it’s Heigl.

Comment by Hayes – December 2, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^^ This .Thank you .

Comment by Sidney.B – December 2, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Familiar face? When you said that i thought Burke, Izzie or someone who left but Alex’s father? Not that familiar. Nice try.

Comment by greysfan – December 2, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awe, come on! I thought it was Izzie!

Comment by N – December 2, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I hear about a familiar face returning I don’t think about a recurring character that was just introduced. I think bigger, like Addison, Amelia or someone we do actually have a history to. So that news is kind of lame. Who wasn’t expecting that he’ll eventually return?

Comment by Dani – December 3, 2013 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Michael. This is a great storyline for Karev and I’m glad that it did not end in the bar. Those who are complaining are just ridiculous. Seriously?!

Comment by Kimm – December 3, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t really care about this storyline to be honest.

Comment by Choco – December 3, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The video isn’t working properly…and I’m underwhelmed at the return.

Comment by Chreeees – December 4, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post