What TVLine Is Thankful For: Juliette Barnes, Hot Sex, Black Magic, a Community Encore and More

Get More: Commentary, Lists

TVLine has a lot to be thankful for this season, with a small-screen bounty in 2013 that’s included Person of Interest‘s massively upped ante, New Girl‘s frisky new friend, a well-deserved comeuppance on Mad Men and Nashville‘s love-to-love-her bad girl. And that’s in addition to more than two dozen other TV treats for which we are grateful!

VIDEO | Orphan Black Season 2 Premiere Date

Here is what TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editors Michael Slezak and Kimberly Roots, West Coast Editor Meg Masters, West Coast Reporter Vlada Gelman, Contributing Editor Andy Patrick and Editorial Intern Misha Solomon have singled out as deserving of acknowledgement. (Coming Thursday: What TVLine readers are thankful for this year.)

RELATED | Who Halted Production on New Girl?

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us what you think of our Thanksgiving spread!

Comments (76)

• Whaaa? I didn’t realize Sleepy Hollow was only a 13 episode arc. Oh well, sorry husbands everywhere. I think you’ll be finding your wives less… amenable, shall we say, on Monday nights once Sleepy Hollow is no more. I know mine will.

Comment by MLO – November 27, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! What will I do with my Monday nights come the end of S1? Still, I’m thankful that such an exciting, interesting, and FUN genre show with topnotch writing and acting is getting a S2. I raise my glass to you, Sleepy Hollow.

Comment by gdv – November 27, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hayden, but Juliette couldn’t be more boring and redundant this season if they tried (maybe they are).

Comment by Rose – November 27, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely agree about Brooklyn 99, Moms and Trophy Wife. The best new comedies this season.

Comment by Annabel – November 27, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously there’s a lot to be thankful for on TV this year. Yay!

Comment by Mel – November 27, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well for me, The Crazy Ones pips any new comedy this year. Robin Williams & Sarah Geller..need I say more?

Comment by Rich Abey – November 28, 2013 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hayden and Juliette. Waiting for her to be at her best, which is when she is sharing screen time with the queen of country music herself-Miss Rayna Jaymes. Those two together are pure gold!

Comment by Ann – November 27, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still believe than Hayden’s performance is stronger than Connie’s. Her Juliette performance is beyond incredible, while Connie as Rayna comes off as wooden to me.

Comment by Me – November 27, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Connie’s peformance is flawless.

Comment by Rose – November 27, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree about CB

Comment by Brandy – November 27, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that*

Comment by Me – November 27, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, I don’t :) Think both Connie and Hayden give great performances, it’s just that the nature of their characters and their journeys are very different. Juliette is easy to like because she the combination between vulnerability, bitchy behavior and humor is fun, but Rayna is just as complex if not more but the nature of her character who is more mature and with much more experience of living in the spotlight requires different behavior. Much more subtle and reserved and less chaotic, and what Connie Britton does with it is simply brilliant.

Comment by Shanag – November 27, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for the entire third season of Revenge this year. Just. So. Good.

Comment by IMember – November 27, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one am thankful for James Spader and his brilliant acting on The Blacklist..how could he not be mentioned? His portrayal as Red is Emmy worthy.

Comment by bonesfan – November 27, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could not agree more with this.

Comment by Kim R – November 27, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right! He’s the reason I tune in every week!

Comment by JM – November 27, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Just as Boston Legal was a revelation purely because of James Spader, The Blacklist is one the top new hits too mainly because of James Spader. Arguably the best action show since 24!

Comment by Rich Abey – November 28, 2013 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget to remind the networks of Cheers. Dead last in year one, to TV classic.

Comment by Greg – November 27, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Sue Heck! Love her. She is full of light and hope in the face of getting knocked down… a lot! :)

Comment by Kim R – November 27, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She reminds me soooo much of my eldest niece, which is a good thing. Yay for sweet optimists!

Comment by Leigh – November 27, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I m also thankful for abcfamilys WB like Mon nights and luxury soaps and Hayden P as JB.Im tankful for so many good shows to watch:Mistresess,ANTM,Devious Maids,Witches of East End,Hart of Dixie,Beauty & the Beast,The Originals,Nashville,Vampire Diaries,Reign,OUAT,OUAtIW,Carrie Diaries,Big Bang Theory,2 Broke Girls,Switched at Birth,The Fosters,Pretty Little Liars,Drop Dead Diva,Rizzoli & Isels.

Comment by Brandy – November 27, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thankful ABC give Mistresses another season.
      Also thankful for Witches of East End.
      I don’t watch Devious Maids, but if Slezak put it together with the other two, does that mean I should start?

Comment by Leo – November 28, 2013 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you like Desperate Housewives, you’ll probably like Devious Maids

Comment by Brandy – November 28, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful there is still a show like Parenthood on TV.

Comment by Kim R – November 27, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for Masters of Sex. Without a doubt the best new drama on TV right now. So beautifully written, and the acting is perfect.

Comment by LOST – November 27, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thankful for Homeland, Scandal, The Americans (soo underrated) The Good Wife, The Blacklist, Masters of Sex, Orange is the New Black, House of Cars, Deacon from Nashville, Mad Men, Dexter (RIP), Breaking Bad, BANSHEE, The Newsroom and Person of Interest – looking for new puppies. The hiatus is gonna kill me. Suggestions appreciated!

Comment by Victoria – November 27, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, the Property Brothers have been camera-wh*ring it in Canada for so long that they just annoy me now. They come across crazy arrogant.

Comment by dude – November 27, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Sandra. Grey’s Anatomy will be that much poorer when she leaves.

Comment by CC – November 27, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is it with you fascination with Oliver and Felicity. Seriously i don’t get it.

Comment by TheAppleFour – November 27, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re in the minority. It’s who Oliver should have if things were different (stuck with Laurel)

Comment by Georgia Madman – November 27, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thankful with Arrow because I had the opportunity to practice English and all for Olicity. I know this an action Show but we can´t denied that Oliver and Felicity have something…”There isn’t worst blind that those don’t want to see”

Comment by mary – November 27, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the fact that Michael mentioned the Falcon Crest thing! He’s completely right, S8 and 9 were unwatchable and terrible. That being said, the series finale was great.

Comment by Gerald – November 27, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They were definitely weak, but I don’t remember them as being completely unwatchable. That said, I’d have watched David Selby read the phone book, so I’m a wee bit biased. ;)

Comment by Tania – November 27, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish they would finally clear up Sue’s age. They made such a big deal about her being born on February 29th, now they insist she’s 16. WTF mate?

Comment by Tom Charles – November 27, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thankful for so many things TV related! I am thankful for Orange Is the New Black, Tatiana Maslany, Monica Potter, AHS: Coven’s ensemble, and of course, Leslie Knope.

Comment by webly3 – November 27, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Orphan Black. Orange is the New Black. Sleepy Hollow. Doctor Who. Arrow. Game of Thrones. Downton Abbey. Property Brothers. Love It Or List It. ID TV. NOVA. These are the shows for which I am most grateful.

Comment by Leigh – November 27, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for TVLINE! Thank you for you articles, re-caps, spoilers and for giving us a forum to discuss the shows that we enjoy! Here’s to many more years!

Comment by KCC – November 27, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. Best tv recaps and news on the web!

Comment by Jess – November 27, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • here, here

Comment by Ally_D – November 27, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ICAM. I love most that there’s no celebrity gossip garbage to weed thru here.

Comment by Greg – November 27, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! It is TV news, not gossip. And even the comment section is not full of the garbage you can see on other sites. Good job, TVline! :)

Comment by Kim R – November 27, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Congrats to great year, TVLine!

Comment by TvPeong – November 27, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am thankful for breaking bad season 5b

Comment by mash – November 27, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah BB ended not so long ago yet still not mentioned

Comment by me – November 27, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm GOOD WIFE anybody?!?! Also Parenthood. Best two shows on TV, in my opinion of course.

Comment by Jess – November 27, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Britain but here is what I’ve been grateful for on TV this year:
    * networks’ willingness to give shows more time to prove themselves – Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Sean Saves the World especially
    * The Fosters and The Carrie Diaries – both really sweet shows that I get excited to watch
    * linked to the above point, shorter seasons focusing on quality over quantity of episodes – I’ve always preferred cable to network shows for this reason but the balance is now shifting
    * The Mindy Project is getting better and better – I was skeptical when they started changing up the cast (bye Amanda Setton) but it’s now much tighter although I could quickly tire of Mindy’s romantic quests week after week
    * Sandra Oh – that’s all
    * Burning Love making the jump from internet to TV – it’s very funny and I’d like to see others given the opportunity
    * Nashville’s Juliette – for me she’s the stand out character but she couldn’t shine as bright without the others
    * the network’s efforts to reduce the number of gaps and repeats in seasons – for example, last year’s Glee scheduling was terrible; on for a week, off for two; back for a week; off again – watching it back again over the summer, one episode after the other it was much better (although still not as good as earlier seasons)
    * Finally, my favourite shows not already mentioned: The Newsroom, The Americans, The Crazy Ones, Masters of Sex, Parks & Recreation, The Good Wife

My wish for next year:
    * move Glee to NY permanently
    * confirm The Newsroom season 3
    * give ALL the Emmys to Parks & Recreation to make up for their chronic, scandalous omission to date

Comment by Ally_D – November 27, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too, am thankful for Person of Interest, Mad Men and Sandra Oh. Thank YOU TVLine!

Comment by Holly – November 27, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m also thankful for Netflix resurrecting The Killing. Can’t wait. More Linden and Holder!

Comment by Holly – November 27, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes for Outlander I am so thankful they din’t screw up with casting of Jamie and Claire, the actors look perfect. can’t wati to see footage, can’t wait for the show.

Comment by Pati – November 27, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful that Angela Lansbury spoke against Murder She Wrote reboot.

Comment by Mus – November 27, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for Netflix, because without it I wouldn’t have gotten hooked on some of my current favorite shows…Revenge, American Horror Story, Parks and Recreation, etc.

Comment by Matt C. – November 27, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for the existence of Amy Pohler! :) like I am every year…

Comment by Parker – November 27, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poehler :D

Comment by Parker – November 27, 2013 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is truly a queen among women.

Comment by Erin – November 27, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Horror Story: Coven is a riot of entertainment Funny, scary, sexy. More WTF moments than every other show on the air COMBINED! And on another note, thank you for recognizing Sue Heck of The Middle. Even though I know it’s hopeless, I root for her every week!

Comment by MTMSLG – November 27, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thankful for Supernatural show runnerJeremy Carver for returning the show and brotherly relationship fans have dreamt of seeing again since Season 4 and Carver doing so with more thought and care and treasuring the gift he’d been given telling the story of Sam and Dean

Comment by Cheryl – November 27, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I am thankful for Mindy Project, funniest show on TV, Person of Interest, Hannibal and Orphan Black!!! Also agree that it was about time that karma slapped Don Draper in the face.

Comment by JM – November 27, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thankful for Arrow and The Killing resurrection. By far the best shows this season although I need to catch up with Downton Abbey and Orphan Black.
    Amen

Comment by Ellie – November 27, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thankful for my new guilty pleasure Reign. I am also thankful that Ali is alive in Pretty Little Liars and that Ezra is evil- so much awesome drama

Comment by A – November 27, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so great that Chris Lilley is getting the international acclaim he deserves. We Aussies are very proud of him.
    I would watch Walton Goggins do his grocery shopping. The man is a gem.
    And Ferguson is the greatest thing to happen to New Girl, like, ever.

Comment by Erin – November 27, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t spoilered (spoilt?) by the info text on page 27, but I do find it ironic that the death of X on Person of Interest last week is openly printed while the death of Y on 24 that happened 11.5 years ago is masked as “spoiler”…

Comment by DJ Doena – November 27, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Teri’s death in 24′s first season over 12 years ago really a spoiler? I think that’s a little overboard, kids. Especially since Carter’s death last week is right out there. Insanity.

Comment by kat – November 27, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thankful for Wade Kinsella of Hart of Dixie. Enough said. :-)

Comment by Lola – November 27, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suppose I would be grateful it’s only over a little month until Justified and Community come back! And we still have so many other shows to look forward to this winter and spring! Like Louie, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Shameless, Girls, Veep…

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 27, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amen to the “Community” snippet. So happy the show is coming back, AND with its original creator back at the helm. Can’t wait to see what happens next season.
    Also, I haven’t had a chance to sit down and watch “Sleepy Hollow” yet, and I’m way behind in checking out “Hannibal”. Thank goodness for upcoming free time during the holidays, is all I can say…I know what I’ll be doing during that time :).

Comment by Angela – November 27, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for Parks and Rec being a realistic and yet still humorous comedy this season, and I’m thankful for April’s maturing Parks.

Comment by Spencer – November 27, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for the surge in witch centred TV series such as Witches of East End, American Horror Story: Coven, and the upcoming series, Salem.

Comment by Brandon – November 27, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me add 4 more, all related to Grey’s Anatomy. I am thankful that:

1. The show was willing to create this rift between Cristina and Meredith, and to shake up Callie and Arizona. While I, as a fan of both relationships, hate the tension, it’s good drama. And I can relax and lean into it because ultimately I know both relationships are going to be restored and grow for the experience.

2. Actresses Ellen Pompeo and Jessica Capshaw have leaned in to the writing and are willing to play their characters authentically enough that I can be furious with/disagree with Arizona & Meredith even as I understand where they’re coming from. Good characters don’t have to always be 100% likeable.

3. Arizona and April getting drunk together. Best part of the 200th episode.

4.An entire episode focussed on Sara Ramirez’s Callie and Ramirez/Capshaw/Calzona.

In terms of your list I especially agree with the following, in no special order:

*Sandra Oh makes me proud to be Canadian.

*Hayden Panetierre is amazing. So awesome to see the talent she’s grown into since I first saw her on Guiding Light as the first child actor to play Lizzie Spaulding (I’m not counting any babies/toddlers in the role). She was great then, but now – amazing.

*While I’m not a Community fan, I agree with your overall point re: Dan Harmon.

*Totally agree re: network patience for the new comedies, in most cases (Dads being an exception).

*Love Neverland! Once feels like the show I first fell in love with again. It’s back on my ‘Must Watch’ list.

Comment by Tania – November 27, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • been a fan of Person of Interest from the jump and I can’t believe we are only in the third season. they keep it fresh without straying too far from what initially got ppl excited about it to begin with

Comment by meatwad – November 27, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aus, you forgot a major “what if”: What IF Aaron Sorkin had come back for season 5 of The West Wing? How would the cliffhanger of season 4 have ended? Would Zoe have died? What would season 5 be like? Would Glenn Close still be a season highlight?????

Comment by benadgatemusic – November 27, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last year Hannibal & Arrow captivated me. This year it’s Orphan Black, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, Crazy Ones & Agents of SHEILD who take turns. Certainly see an improvement in the quality of the new TV shows compared to last yr..though I still am waiting for Joss Whedon to finish his film commitments & haul ass back to his new TV show..his little bro & co might have bit more than they could chew..the show really isn’t exploiting it’s full potential without Joss!

Comment by Rich Abey – November 28, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thankful for TVLINE too. Thank you so much for this website !!

That being said, I’m also thankful for the many new interesting shows this year (Sleepy Hollow, the Blacklist, Agents of Shield, Almost human,Trophy wife…) and for the usual but always riveting other shows that I just love to watch (Scandal, OUAT, Haven, Revenge, Criminal Minds, Law and Order SVU, Glee, Major Crimes, Downton Abbey).

Grey’s Anatomy was my all time favorite a while ago. Now I’m 4 episodes behind and I don’t really want to watch it anymore. The new interns are just not interesting enough and I don’t care about Callie and Arizona. Ugh. Sorry Shonda, I still love you though ! :o))

Comment by Sandy – November 28, 2013 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are many great ones, but I love #26 “Mo’lan” and #32 Sue Heck the best!

Comment by Winnie – December 12, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post