What TVLine Is Thankful For: Juliette Barnes, Hot Sex, Black Magic, a Community Encore and More

TVLine has a lot to be thankful for this season, with a small-screen bounty in 2013 that’s included Person of Interest‘s massively upped ante, New Girl‘s frisky new friend, a well-deserved comeuppance on Mad Men and Nashville‘s love-to-love-her bad girl. And that’s in addition to more than two dozen other TV treats for which we are grateful!

VIDEO | Orphan Black Season 2 Premiere Date

Here is what TVLine Founder/Editor-in-Chief Michael Ausiello, Editor-at-Large Matt Webb Mitovich, Senior Editors Michael Slezak and Kimberly Roots, West Coast Editor Meg Masters, West Coast Reporter Vlada Gelman, Contributing Editor Andy Patrick and Editorial Intern Misha Solomon have singled out as deserving of acknowledgement. (Coming Thursday: What TVLine readers are thankful for this year.)

RELATED | Who Halted Production on New Girl?

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments and tell us what you think of our Thanksgiving spread!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Lists

1. MLO says:

Whaaa? I didn’t realize Sleepy Hollow was only a 13 episode arc. Oh well, sorry husbands everywhere. I think you’ll be finding your wives less… amenable, shall we say, on Monday nights once Sleepy Hollow is no more. I know mine will.

• gdv says:

I know! What will I do with my Monday nights come the end of S1? Still, I’m thankful that such an exciting, interesting, and FUN genre show with topnotch writing and acting is getting a S2. I raise my glass to you, Sleepy Hollow.

2. Rose says:

Love Hayden, but Juliette couldn’t be more boring and redundant this season if they tried (maybe they are).

3. Annabel says:

I completely agree about Brooklyn 99, Moms and Trophy Wife. The best new comedies this season.

4. Ann says:

Love Hayden and Juliette. Waiting for her to be at her best, which is when she is sharing screen time with the queen of country music herself-Miss Rayna Jaymes. Those two together are pure gold!

5. IMember says:

I’m thankful for the entire third season of Revenge this year. Just. So. Good.

6. bonesfan says:

I for one am thankful for James Spader and his brilliant acting on The Blacklist..how could he not be mentioned? His portrayal as Red is Emmy worthy.

7. Greg says:

Don’t forget to remind the networks of Cheers. Dead last in year one, to TV classic.

8. Kim R says:

I love Sue Heck! Love her. She is full of light and hope in the face of getting knocked down… a lot! :)

9. Brandy says:

I m also thankful for abcfamilys WB like Mon nights and luxury soaps and Hayden P as JB.Im tankful for so many good shows to watch:Mistresess,ANTM,Devious Maids,Witches of East End,Hart of Dixie,Beauty & the Beast,The Originals,Nashville,Vampire Diaries,Reign,OUAT,OUAtIW,Carrie Diaries,Big Bang Theory,2 Broke Girls,Switched at Birth,The Fosters,Pretty Little Liars,Drop Dead Diva,Rizzoli & Isels.

• Leo says:

I’m thankful ABC give Mistresses another season.
      Also thankful for Witches of East End.
      I don’t watch Devious Maids, but if Slezak put it together with the other two, does that mean I should start?

10. Kim R says:

I’m thankful there is still a show like Parenthood on TV.

11. LOST says:

I’m thankful for Masters of Sex. Without a doubt the best new drama on TV right now. So beautifully written, and the acting is perfect.

• Victoria says:

I’m thankful for Homeland, Scandal, The Americans (soo underrated) The Good Wife, The Blacklist, Masters of Sex, Orange is the New Black, House of Cars, Deacon from Nashville, Mad Men, Dexter (RIP), Breaking Bad, BANSHEE, The Newsroom and Person of Interest – looking for new puppies. The hiatus is gonna kill me. Suggestions appreciated!

12. dude says:

Meh, the Property Brothers have been camera-wh*ring it in Canada for so long that they just annoy me now. They come across crazy arrogant.

13. CC says:

Yay for Sandra. Grey’s Anatomy will be that much poorer when she leaves.

14. TheAppleFour says:

What is it with you fascination with Oliver and Felicity. Seriously i don’t get it.

• Georgia Madman says:

You’re in the minority. It’s who Oliver should have if things were different (stuck with Laurel)

• mary says:

I’m thankful with Arrow because I had the opportunity to practice English and all for Olicity. I know this an action Show but we can´t denied that Oliver and Felicity have something…”There isn’t worst blind that those don’t want to see”

15. Gerald says:

I love the fact that Michael mentioned the Falcon Crest thing! He’s completely right, S8 and 9 were unwatchable and terrible. That being said, the series finale was great.

• Tania says:

They were definitely weak, but I don’t remember them as being completely unwatchable. That said, I’d have watched David Selby read the phone book, so I’m a wee bit biased. ;)

16. Tom Charles says:

I just wish they would finally clear up Sue’s age. They made such a big deal about her being born on February 29th, now they insist she’s 16. WTF mate?

17. webly3 says:

I am thankful for so many things TV related! I am thankful for Orange Is the New Black, Tatiana Maslany, Monica Potter, AHS: Coven’s ensemble, and of course, Leslie Knope.

18. Leigh says:

Orphan Black. Orange is the New Black. Sleepy Hollow. Doctor Who. Arrow. Game of Thrones. Downton Abbey. Property Brothers. Love It Or List It. ID TV. NOVA. These are the shows for which I am most grateful.

19. KCC says:

I’m thankful for TVLINE! Thank you for you articles, re-caps, spoilers and for giving us a forum to discuss the shows that we enjoy! Here’s to many more years!

20. mash says:

i am thankful for breaking bad season 5b

21. Jess says:

Ummm GOOD WIFE anybody?!?! Also Parenthood. Best two shows on TV, in my opinion of course.

22. Ally_D says:

We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Britain but here is what I’ve been grateful for on TV this year:
    * networks’ willingness to give shows more time to prove themselves – Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Sean Saves the World especially
    * The Fosters and The Carrie Diaries – both really sweet shows that I get excited to watch
    * linked to the above point, shorter seasons focusing on quality over quantity of episodes – I’ve always preferred cable to network shows for this reason but the balance is now shifting
    * The Mindy Project is getting better and better – I was skeptical when they started changing up the cast (bye Amanda Setton) but it’s now much tighter although I could quickly tire of Mindy’s romantic quests week after week
    * Sandra Oh – that’s all
    * Burning Love making the jump from internet to TV – it’s very funny and I’d like to see others given the opportunity
    * Nashville’s Juliette – for me she’s the stand out character but she couldn’t shine as bright without the others
    * the network’s efforts to reduce the number of gaps and repeats in seasons – for example, last year’s Glee scheduling was terrible; on for a week, off for two; back for a week; off again – watching it back again over the summer, one episode after the other it was much better (although still not as good as earlier seasons)
    * Finally, my favourite shows not already mentioned: The Newsroom, The Americans, The Crazy Ones, Masters of Sex, Parks & Recreation, The Good Wife

My wish for next year:
    * move Glee to NY permanently
    * confirm The Newsroom season 3
    * give ALL the Emmys to Parks & Recreation to make up for their chronic, scandalous omission to date

23. Holly says:

I, too, am thankful for Person of Interest, Mad Men and Sandra Oh. Thank YOU TVLine!

24. Pati says:

Yes for Outlander I am so thankful they din’t screw up with casting of Jamie and Claire, the actors look perfect. can’t wati to see footage, can’t wait for the show.

25. Mus says:

I’m thankful that Angela Lansbury spoke against Murder She Wrote reboot.

26. Matt C. says:

I’m thankful for Netflix, because without it I wouldn’t have gotten hooked on some of my current favorite shows…Revenge, American Horror Story, Parks and Recreation, etc.

27. Parker says:

I’m thankful for the existence of Amy Pohler! :) like I am every year…

28. MTMSLG says:

American Horror Story: Coven is a riot of entertainment Funny, scary, sexy. More WTF moments than every other show on the air COMBINED! And on another note, thank you for recognizing Sue Heck of The Middle. Even though I know it’s hopeless, I root for her every week!

29. Cheryl says:

I am thankful for Supernatural show runnerJeremy Carver for returning the show and brotherly relationship fans have dreamt of seeing again since Season 4 and Carver doing so with more thought and care and treasuring the gift he’d been given telling the story of Sam and Dean

30. JM says:

Yes! I am thankful for Mindy Project, funniest show on TV, Person of Interest, Hannibal and Orphan Black!!! Also agree that it was about time that karma slapped Don Draper in the face.

31. Ellie says:

Thankful for Arrow and The Killing resurrection. By far the best shows this season although I need to catch up with Downton Abbey and Orphan Black.
    Amen

32. A says:

I am thankful for my new guilty pleasure Reign. I am also thankful that Ali is alive in Pretty Little Liars and that Ezra is evil- so much awesome drama

33. Erin says:

It’s so great that Chris Lilley is getting the international acclaim he deserves. We Aussies are very proud of him.
    I would watch Walton Goggins do his grocery shopping. The man is a gem.
    And Ferguson is the greatest thing to happen to New Girl, like, ever.

34. DJ Doena says:

I wasn’t spoilered (spoilt?) by the info text on page 27, but I do find it ironic that the death of X on Person of Interest last week is openly printed while the death of Y on 24 that happened 11.5 years ago is masked as “spoiler”…

35. kat says:

Is Teri’s death in 24’s first season over 12 years ago really a spoiler? I think that’s a little overboard, kids. Especially since Carter’s death last week is right out there. Insanity.

36. Lola says:

I am thankful for Wade Kinsella of Hart of Dixie. Enough said. :-)

37. Britta Unfiltered says:

I suppose I would be grateful it’s only over a little month until Justified and Community come back! And we still have so many other shows to look forward to this winter and spring! Like Louie, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, Shameless, Girls, Veep…

38. Angela says:

Amen to the “Community” snippet. So happy the show is coming back, AND with its original creator back at the helm. Can’t wait to see what happens next season.
    Also, I haven’t had a chance to sit down and watch “Sleepy Hollow” yet, and I’m way behind in checking out “Hannibal”. Thank goodness for upcoming free time during the holidays, is all I can say…I know what I’ll be doing during that time :).

39. Spencer says:

I’m thankful for Parks and Rec being a realistic and yet still humorous comedy this season, and I’m thankful for April’s maturing Parks.

40. Brandon says:

I’m thankful for the surge in witch centred TV series such as Witches of East End, American Horror Story: Coven, and the upcoming series, Salem.

41. Tania says:

Let me add 4 more, all related to Grey’s Anatomy. I am thankful that:

1. The show was willing to create this rift between Cristina and Meredith, and to shake up Callie and Arizona. While I, as a fan of both relationships, hate the tension, it’s good drama. And I can relax and lean into it because ultimately I know both relationships are going to be restored and grow for the experience.

2. Actresses Ellen Pompeo and Jessica Capshaw have leaned in to the writing and are willing to play their characters authentically enough that I can be furious with/disagree with Arizona & Meredith even as I understand where they’re coming from. Good characters don’t have to always be 100% likeable.

3. Arizona and April getting drunk together. Best part of the 200th episode.

4.An entire episode focussed on Sara Ramirez’s Callie and Ramirez/Capshaw/Calzona.

In terms of your list I especially agree with the following, in no special order:

*Sandra Oh makes me proud to be Canadian.

*Hayden Panetierre is amazing. So awesome to see the talent she’s grown into since I first saw her on Guiding Light as the first child actor to play Lizzie Spaulding (I’m not counting any babies/toddlers in the role). She was great then, but now – amazing.

*While I’m not a Community fan, I agree with your overall point re: Dan Harmon.

*Totally agree re: network patience for the new comedies, in most cases (Dads being an exception).

*Love Neverland! Once feels like the show I first fell in love with again. It’s back on my ‘Must Watch’ list.

42. meatwad says:

been a fan of Person of Interest from the jump and I can’t believe we are only in the third season. they keep it fresh without straying too far from what initially got ppl excited about it to begin with

43. benadgatemusic says:

Aus, you forgot a major “what if”: What IF Aaron Sorkin had come back for season 5 of The West Wing? How would the cliffhanger of season 4 have ended? Would Zoe have died? What would season 5 be like? Would Glenn Close still be a season highlight?????

44. Rich Abey says:

Last year Hannibal & Arrow captivated me. This year it’s Orphan Black, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, Crazy Ones & Agents of SHEILD who take turns. Certainly see an improvement in the quality of the new TV shows compared to last yr..though I still am waiting for Joss Whedon to finish his film commitments & haul ass back to his new TV show..his little bro & co might have bit more than they could chew..the show really isn’t exploiting it’s full potential without Joss!

45. Sandy says:

I’m thankful for TVLINE too. Thank you so much for this website !!

That being said, I’m also thankful for the many new interesting shows this year (Sleepy Hollow, the Blacklist, Agents of Shield, Almost human,Trophy wife…) and for the usual but always riveting other shows that I just love to watch (Scandal, OUAT, Haven, Revenge, Criminal Minds, Law and Order SVU, Glee, Major Crimes, Downton Abbey).

Grey’s Anatomy was my all time favorite a while ago. Now I’m 4 episodes behind and I don’t really want to watch it anymore. The new interns are just not interesting enough and I don’t care about Callie and Arizona. Ugh. Sorry Shonda, I still love you though ! :o))

46. Winnie says:

There are many great ones, but I love #26 “Mo’lan” and #32 Sue Heck the best!