The Voice Top 8 Performance Recap: At Last!

The Voice - Season 5The Voice is not the easiest show to recap for a fella like myself, who’s as cozy with snark and bitchery as a Kardashian is with secretly texting her exact whereabouts to the paparazzi. So on what am I supposed to hang my hat now that Season 5 is down to eight vocalists with enough combined talent to fill up an entire major label roster?

Oh sure, I can always find humor in Carson Daly’s attempts to position himself as Coach No. 5 — how I wish I could’ve been in the Sprint Skybox and shouted “Objection! Leading the witness!” as the host snuck in his own bland critiques for several contestants prior to tossing to the panel. Or I can chuckle about the way Xtina poisons the well against certain singers while avoiding a direct mention of their vocals — the better to not be branded as “bitchy” by the general viewing public. (“You utilized a different area of the room, of the stage!” she chirped tonight, while craftily rallying the public against James Wolpert’s failed attempt to paint himself as the next Freddie Mercury.)

RELATED | The Voice‘s Jonny Gray Talks Beatles, ‘Message’ Music and the Girl-Group Jam He Almost Covered

Ultimately, though, from this point forward, The Voice‘s Season 5 players will rise and fall based on song choice — are they playing it too ambitious, too safe, too far outside their wheelhouses? — on the hazy notion of “personality” and on whether or not they’ve built up enough good will since mid-September to keep them afloat during any unexpected squalls in their trajectory.

RELATED | The Voice: Analysis, Advice and Dream Set Lists for the Season 5 Top 10

With that in mind, let’s jump to letter grades for tonight’s performances:

PHOTOS | American Music Awards 2013: Best, Worst and Most Head-Scratching Moments

James Wolpert (Team Adam): Queen’s “Somebody to Love” — Grade: C | I’m about two-thirds of the way through reading Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild, and crazy/inappropriate as it may sound, I couldn’t help but compare the fatal Alaskan trek of Christopher McCandless, the book’s subject, with James’ own hubris in attempting to climb Mt. (Freddie) Mercury. Not only did James struggle to stay on pitch throughout the operatic number, but he lacked the mischievious zest and theatricality that Queen’s late lead singer possessed (even in the midst of nifty staging where he played the role of “Waldo” in a chorus of bespectacled, tuxedo-rocking chorus members). In other words, James was grossly underprepared for the journey on which he embarked. And that only made Adam’s obviously for-the-cameras freakout and claim that James “could sing in Queen” all the more disingenuous. The question remains though, whether or not voters will see through it.

Tessanne Chin (Team Adam): No Doubt’s “Underneath It All” — Grade: A- | Bafflingly, Adam seemed about 20 percent less enthused by Tessanne’s loose, note-perfect upgrade of one of No Doubt’s least exciting jams — damn, how I wish People’s Sexiest Man Alive had chosen “Ex-Girlfriend” or “Simple Kind of Life” or even Gwen Stefani’s “What You Waiting For” — than he did for James’ worst effort in weeks. (Perhaps there’s a footnote in the Bro Code explaning this imbalance?) Whatever the case, Tessanne — despite having been violently mishandled by the show’s stylists via skintight acid wash jeans and a weird yellow jacket — grooved her way through the opening half, then exploded to life on Lady Saw’s reggae-rific interlude. Her interaction with the audience and those soaring “yeah yeah yeah yeahs” that closed out the cover had me whooping and couch-dancing — and made me view the former backup singer as an interesting potential artist, not just a brilliant technician. Xtina was right that the foray into her Jamaican roots paid off — though I wish the Lady Aguilera had stopped short of shamelessly requesting that next week Tess tackle the reggae-fied cover of “What a Girl Wants” she’d done on her Back to Basics tour in 2006.

Caroline Pennell (Team Cee Lo): Florence + The Machine’s “Dog Days Are Over” — Grade: B+ | Caroline looked a little defeated in her intro package, maybe because she can’t even assume her coach will pay for her gelato when they go out for a mentoring session. (I kid! I kid!) Seriously, though, while Cee Lo had the right idea in choosing something unexpected for the angelic-voiced early front-runner, I’m not quite sure that in practice, “Dog Days Are Over” was the track to give Caroline a true “Big Moment.” The song’s relentless rhythmic propulsion and Florence Welch’s fearsome banshee delivery don’t leave a lot of room for creative interpretation — or in reality TV speak, to “make it your own.” Caroline did her best with some tricky rhythmic tweaks, and she nailed every note square on the jaw, but the end result lacked the genuine surprise of her Battle Rounds Bieber cover or even “Anything Could Happen” or “The Way I Am.” In other words, this was quite good, but not quite great — and might put her at risk of another Bottom 3 placement.

Cole Vosbury (Team Blake): Vince Gill’s “I Still Believe in You” — Grade: B | To my ears, Cole’s whiskey-soaked rasp shines brightest when it’s paired with ditties that require a certain amount of soul — like “Adorn” or The Jeffersons theme. Which is why I was a little bummed by Blake sending him toward the fork in the road that led away from Funkytown and toward Countryville this week. Sure, the sparse strings-and-acoustic-guitar arrangement highlighted the desperation in Cole’s delivery — just like Blake wanted — but it also exposed some rough spots in his lower register. Perhaps more distressing, though, I just can’t see myself remembering this performance in six months’ time — which isn’t something I expected from the season’s most eclectic player.

Matthew Schuler (Team Xtina): Imagine Dragons’ “It’s Time” — Grade: D+ | Matthew’s total mess of a performance this week was a shocker — the equivalent of Meryl Streep signing on for her own reality show on E! or Ashley Wagner falling on her keester during a single axel. The pro-tem leader of Season 5 — who’s missed only a handful of notes all season — was under the melody for at least three-quarters of the number, and sounded downright winded on the choruses. Carson, towing the producers’ party line — This! Is! The! Voice!, after all — was equally breathless when Matthew wrapped his number: “Christina, when this young man sings, there’s a sense of urgency that’s potent and palpable!” But no amount of hostly blathering could hide the fact that the usually bespoke-suited emperor had taken the stage without a stitch of clothing. Was it Matthew’s decision to dance mid-performance that caused his voice to abandon him? Could something unfortunate have happened to Matthew’s vocal cords during last week’s 21st b’day celebration? Or was it simple nerves from getting so close to achieving his dream? I suspect (and hope) the kid’s got a big enough fanbase to carry him through one off week, but suddenly, the race for the Season 5 crown seems a lot more wide open, no?

Will Champlin (Team Adam): Etta James’ “At Last” — Grade: A- | Like his teammate James, Will was attempting to scale a lofty summit with “At Last” — a crowd-pleasing standard that’s been tackled by so many greats (see Melinda Doolittle’s astonishing version embedded below) that it’s almost foolish to go near it and open oneself up to comparisons. But Will went there anyway, like a pilot taking off in a jumbo jet that looks too big to take flight, and aimed higher, higher and higher — capping things off with a crazy run of notes that threatened to scrape the moon. Was it a little showboat-y? Yeah, sure. But it was also packed with raw and heady feeling that made the vocal acrobatics seem authentic, rather than contrived. Indeed, along with conveying the joy of a man who’s found his one true love, Will’s performance also had the undercurrent of excitement that comes from chasing your dream for what feels like an eternity, and then suddenly having it in the palm of your hand. At last, indeed!

Ray Boudreaux (Team Blake): Spencer Davis Group’s “Gimme Some Lovin'” — Grade: B- | Truth be told, Ray gave one of the night’s cleanest performances: His pitch was so spotless, in fact, it was as if the Scrubbing Bubbles had served as his backup singers. Soul music, however, shouldn’t be created in a sterile, lab-like setting; it requires some dirt and grit and sense of real abandon. And as Ray stiffly danced amidst a quartet of sexy background singers, then later tried to engage the crowd with the kind of banter that’s supposed to say “I’m spontaneous and feelin’ it!,” I found myself wishing he’d lose himself to the music, make me feel some kind of urgency, prove to me that he’s not content with being the eighth-best contestant on Season 5 of The Voice. That moment never arrived, nor did “The Full Blake” when it came time for his coach’s feedback. Mark Burnett might as well have opened a trap door in the stage floor and flushed Ray out of the competition right then and there, no?

Jacquie Lee (Team Xtina): The Miracles/Jackson 5’s “Who’s Lovin’ You” — Grade: A | Oh, Jacquie, you had me at “when.” As in the first, gut-busting word of your haunting, utterly daring a capella intro. “Whe-eh-eh-eh-eh-nnnn…!” And from there on out, your gritty, down-in-the-trenches-of-love delivery had me punching my couch with sheer joy. Even though your pre-performance package had annoyingly mapped out everything that was about to happen on stage — c’mon, Xtina, nobody likes that many spoilers! — the way you punched and parried your way through the song, offering bursts of incredible power, then reeling it all the way back in, was downright masterful. You know you’re doing great work when you’re scoring truly inspired feeback from your rival coaches, and while Blake’s “you parted somebody’s hair down there” was a hilarious way to spotlight the brilliance of your holleration, Cee Lo took home the big prize with this doozy: “It’s like you swallowed an old lady or something.” Hey, whatever it takes to keep trucking along to the finale…

Should go home: James, Ray
Will go home: James, Ray

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Top 8 performance night? Who were your faves? Who surprised you? Who will and should be at risk? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

1. Ella says:

I thought James was really good….wow….disagree with you tonight =( Oh well

• Passion says:

I love love luuuurve James. But i get the underwhelming presence he gives off to other people. I checked out his pre-Voice stuff on youtube and he wasn’t really trying to be the rocker type then. I dunno what changed. If he does leave though I’ll just silently surrender watching the show. I guess there’s no helping it. Not against the overrhyped Matthew or the fan faves Will and Cole. ;(

• Lumplestilskin says:

James was really fantastic on a truly difficult song to sing! How Slezak can possibly give that a “C” is beyond me. And yes, Matthew Schuler definitely had an off night… but a D+??? COME ON.

• Terry says:

I agree with the grades. Didn’t enjoy whatever that was that James did. And Matthew was way way way way way off tonight, doesn’t matter though, his personality and past performances will get him through.

• Scamp says:

I was embarrassed for James. He was so awful. Adam Lambert and Constantine Maroulis don’t have any difficulty singing Queen songs and let’s face it, James does. Oh how I hated – detested! – Adam Levine’s lies about James being able to sing with Queen. What a crock! I do, however, agree that Matthew doesn’t deserve a D plus. He was not a total mess. I couldn’t take my eyes off of Matthew when he performed his “not best” or “off” performance. Matthew has such star quality that watching and listening to his less than perfect performance was somehow enjoyably interesting.

• Stormy says:

ITA about Matthew. IMO he’s the star of this season. Not just because of his voice, but because of his charisma. The best voice in the world won’t reach great heights unless the charisma is there. Adam Lambert has it, Jon Bon Jovi has it and so does Matthew. He’s as visually arresting as NeYo and that’s saying a lot. As The Buggles said “Video killed the radio star.”.

• Scamp says:

I like your description of Matthew, Stormy. He is visually arresting!

• Jenna says:

What are you talking about?? James nailed that song. The backup singers threw it off, I think, but his voice was right there. Close your eyes and listen, and you’ll hear it. If Matthew wasn’t so darn cute, there’s no way you could listen to him sing that song.

• Daven C says:

Well if I could give James a grade lower than “F” I would. But then I would also give that extremely low grade to Adam for the choice of song and after comments. The kids chops could never sustain the grueling workout that a full Queen performance set would call for. I highly doubt he’d carry past the second song.

• I think Adam’s a hack and all, but to be fair (and ONLY to be fair), didn’t James choose the Queen song?

And why the hell hasn’t the whole “OMG he wears glasses and looks geeky!” thing lost all of its novelty yet?

• Davey says:

Um…Will has been dissed left and right the past few weeks. He’s slowly built a fan base because he’s improved. Much as I like James he seems to mess up his vocals. I found him very entertaining tonight and I loved the multiple tuxedoed guys.

• Tom22 says:

If they showed Will smiling more (and maybe if he smiled more) I think he has a easier type of interest in other people than the intense look we always have seen. Not only did he have an amazing performance showing his own way with a song performed by 1000 superstar performers he also smiled more last night.. showing a personality openness. Neurotic discussion of your personal life tribulations is different from the glow in your eye or softness of empathy in your eyes showing humanity in body not in words.

• Jlq529 says:

I totally agree. I think this critique is way off about James, even snarky. I do agree that it was not Matthew’s best performance. It seems Matthew is being set up for the win.

• JW says:

Agreed, I have now idea where a C comes from. Curious to read the justification for that. Just out of creativity? Because its a worn-out reality singing show rag?

• danin says:

Ella, I totally agree with you. James was fantastic.

• Autumn says:

I agree Ella. James was great tonight.

• Adrian says:

I agree with you Ella! I think Adam may exaggerate a bit, but James did an absolutely good job in opening the show. BTW, Michael – I sort of want to hear what you have to say about Will, Ray, and Jacquie! Will you update the post in the near future?

• Beverly says:

James was great, this guy writing needs help, sorry.
      Adam’s team is great, but gotta say Christine’s is also. Caroline should go.

• Jlq529 says:

I think James should get the credit he deserves for taking chances and singing very difficult songs. He is not Freddie Mercury, he is James singing his idol’s song and it was a very worthy effort. His original stuff on YouTube is really good, and you have to respect the fact that he is a songwriter, very good musician, and can sing great.
      I think the top 8 are all win worthy and it will be a shame to see any of this group go. I hope we hear more from all of them after the competition.

• Tom22 says:

I agree YET, which songs they think they relate to and how they pull them off does tell me something about what they could be. I wasn’t one that liked last nights performance and my issue was that he thought he performed it great . Oddly, I did think I saw his “let his hair down” real personality as a person (or who he wants to be — that inside part of so many musicians that bursts free when they perform which might be the hidden and unexpressed feelings we can’t put our fingers on and need artists to bring out). I just felt his voice and abilty to modulate it the way he tried didn’t quite get to the point I thought gave me more.. BUT other people did and all he needs is a base of fans.. he doesn’t need everyone to like it. Also Oddly.. I was impressed with him the week everyone dissed him for singing that Boston song.. I heard a lot in his voice there even though he missed a few notes live….(the disses didn’t bother me as much). The rock ballad wasn’t as much “him” yet, I heard a distinct sound and ability in his voice to handle what wasn’t him in a special sounding way… ..more or less… I don’t think the style of the songs he relates to most bring out the most special parts of his voice.. where emotion seems hand and hand with a tone? BUT again.. others do … and it could be I just don’t relate to the emotions themselves in the songs people felt were great rather than judging his ability to do them.

• Jlq529 says:

They are all BETTER than Miley!

• RS says:

James deserved a “D”…he was screechy and pitchy. This morning I re-watched it and it was even worse.

• Ian says:

You gave James a C and Jacquie an A? I love Jacquie but she did NOT embody that song at ALL! Switch James and Jacquies grades and lower Cole’s and I’d say this is pretty accurate.

• WWP says:

Yeah, sorry to disagree Michael as he’s usually right on the money — But it’s Ray and Michael’s personal fav, Caroline, going home tonight. Both seem to be lovely, talented people but their time has come. In fairness, based solely on last night, it should be Caroline and Matthew, but Matthew has a strong base and would get saved in any even. (And that would only buy Ray one more week anyway.)

CeeLo is going to have a hell of a time getting anyone (except the one-chair turn-arounds) on his team next season.

• MC says:

Thankfully, CeeLo won’t be a judge next season (Usher and Shakira are coming back). However, if you like music, watch CeeLo at his best by googling: cee lo daryl hall I can’t go for that. Enjoy! You can thank me later.

• Maymay says:

I agree with you Ella, and I am really baffled by Michaels critique of James. I thought the song choice was really bad on paper, cause nobody should try to do Freddie Mercury or this song in particular, and I would have definitely chosen something else for James, but once I accepted the songchoice, I was actually really impressed. Not just because of the vocals. It seemed to me like James really felt that song and got the style of it, and his own quirks fit in there really well. It’s a style that’s really big and flashy so not everyone is going to get it (most people just prefer stripped down, emotional/confessional songs and Queen just has a very different, unique style) but there is no denying James’ vocals were super on point tonight, on a really tough song, may I add. Pitch is not a matter of opinion. And I’ve listened to the performance several times. Michael is just wrong. There was a note in the middle of the song that was ridiculously well-executed/impressive, but pretty much all of them were on near perfect pitch.

Also, of course James couldn’t bring the sass and power of Mr. Mercury’s performance (noone ever will) but I don’t think that’s what he tried, I think he really felt the performance in his own way It felt genuine to me. That in particular was surprising cause I don’t expect anyone to really Queen, that’s why most covers of their music just dont’ work. Anyway, I think James is one of those artists that people either really love or don’t get at all. I think Michael is one of the latter, he didn’t even like him on Case of you, which was just stunning. And last week, when I actually thought James was struggling with Without you quite a bit, Michael liked it. Go figure.

• Jlq529 says:

I read a James interview, and he is a huge Queen fan. He was determined to do a Queen song during the competition. I am not personally a Queen fan (except for Crazy Little Thing Called Love, which is very different from their usual “sound”). I thought James rocked it. He wasn’t trying to be Freddie Mercury, just loves his music enough to want to sing it on The Voice. I totally agree with the voice critique above. I really hope James stays in the competition. Ray is cool and handsome, but I don’t think he compares to James.

• Jlq529 says:

Is it there voices or our ears? If beauty is in the eyes of the beholder then beautiful singing is in the ears of the listener. :)

• Jlq529 says:

Oops, meant *their* voices… silly me

• Tom22 says:

True . What ” I like” is beyond argument BUT it Is interesting to hear What and Why people like something. Art history majors write pages interpetting a single painting as part of assignments and they’re not discussing whether they like it.
        Sometimes it’s just interesting to hear other peoples opinions but sometimes they actually call something they like to your attention and you can take time to notice or appreciate it after thinking about it.
        “Developed Taste” also is important. Most people didn’t like the taste of Coffee or Beer the first number of times they had it, but knowint that others really enjoy it sometimes gives a person the patience to “try it” more with an open mind.
        Of course in the end, even giving all the good faith you can to hear what others like with their “taste” you might still not like it. That’s perfectly fine of course.
        A polite discussion lets people express their doubts and hear from people things that might help them get their mind around something that is bothering them or express praise with details that others on the fence might begin to notice and appreciate themselves.

2. Kaba says:

I feel like I’m in the minority when I say I couldn’t stand Will’s rendition of “At Last”.
    If Jacquie get’s no rest from being called a screecher, there’s no way Will has the right to slide past that title either after tonight. Watching the ending of that performance was beyond annoying to me. At least with Jacquie’s high notes they aren’t so muddied with intense, rather unbearable, rasp at that point.
    I feel like Will is just a huuuge vocal showboat, always gunning for that higher note as if it’s always necessary. They were even applauding him for always going for the not always necessary note.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I had to hit the mute button on Will’s rendition of “At Last.” WRONG…SONG…CHOICE!!! I was literally offended by it. And Adam telling him in the pre-song clip to never “sacrifice technical precision for emotion” summed up why I have zero respect for Mr. Levine as a vocalist. WORST…ADVICE…EVER!!!

• Sergio says:

Respect your opinion but Will was the best tonight

• B. says:

Yeah they can say what they want it doesn’t matter because Will is already highest on iTunes! #20 AND STILL CLIMBIN BABY.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Milli Vanilli also used to top charts. lol And didn’t Paula Abdul have #1 hits?
            Eh, to each his own.. I respect your right to your opinion, and clearly many people agree with you, including Slezak. I just don’t happen to be one of them.

• kirk says:

iTunes
            6. At Last (The Voice Performance) – Will Champlin
            12. I Still Believe In You (The Voice Performance) – Cole Vosbury
            15. Somebody To Love (The Voice Performance) – James Wolpert
            20. Who’s Lovin’ You Now (The Voice Performance) – Jacquie Lee
            22. Underneath It All (The Voice Performance) – Tessanne Chin
            24. Dog Days Are Over (The Voice Performance) – Caroline Pennell
            no sign of Ray or Matthew in the top 25

• Better Sundays says:

def. the. best! love love love will champlin’s “at last.” (the itunes version is even better — blasting it non-stop now). een hayley of paramore tweeted about it. if you didn’t love it, you’re tone-deaf. TONE DEAF, PEOPLES.

• senorskippy says:

It took us awhile to warm to Will, but he has improved steadily week to week. And we could not agree more about his “At Last”. We listened to several versions on You-tube from Xtina 7 yrs ago and at Etta’s funeral, Beyoncé, a blind audition on the Russian ‘The Voice”, another GUY on the XFactor auditions, and even Etta in 2009. The only one who was true to it and sang with soul and emotion was Will. Xtina was all over the map with her runs and improvs. Couldn’t listen to the whole song. I will definitely download Will’s rendition.

• Kaba says:

Finally, something we can both thoroughly agree on. If there were ever a song to NEVER scream bloody murder on. It’s “At Last”…and just about any song by Etta James ever. On what planet does it make sense to throw away technical proficiency on a song that requires the perfect mix of technique and soul? Rather, we get Will going vocally overboard because he was given the green light to be as obnoxious as he damn well pleased.
        Sorry, no thank you to that performance.

• Angie_Overrated says:

We are in violent agreement here. I love that song, but in no way should he have ever sung that. That song is sacred and holy ground and he is not worthy. I like Will and think he’s a great singer, but no. Just, no.

• Kaba says:

I have never been so upset with a song pick this season. Adam literally told Will, “If you can hit the note a little bit, just scream it! That’s soul!”…..why?
            WHY?

• Angie_Overrated says:

Adam = overrated. If he didn’t look like he did, people would realize how full of poop he is. I always suspected he had no idea what he was talking about, and tonight he categorically proved my hypothesis. His advice to Will actually had me screaming at the tv. I freaked my dogs out with that outburst.

• Kaba says:

I don’t understand where Adam’s credibility comes from. When superb artists go home before their time with other coaches, they’re regarded as terrible and just utter crap. Meanwhile, Adam has been the only judge to lose TWO front runners in one week since this new elimination system was developed.
            Amanda and Melanie then Judith and Sarah.
            Nobody notices when Adam is an absolute idiot but somehow he not only gets top tier vocalists, he’s excused for it all the time.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Beyond his inability to coach, I can’t stand him as a vocalist. Dude is weak. I find it hilarious when he gives a pointer to sing something a certain way and he uses his silly little (little being the operative word) falsetto to demonstrate, and then James Wolper nails the same note with a full-toned, open throated, connected booming sound…. that brings me much pleasure.

• Davey says:

Will sang the song very well tonight. I just rewatched it. Everyone knows Etta James is incorporable. But I thought it was refreshing to hear a guy sing it. Luckily a lot of America agrees.

• Jas A says:

Couldn’t disagree more with the two of you (Angie and Kaba). Thought Will’s performance was one of the highlights of the night (along with Tessanne’s). His high ITunes sales seem to back me up. And Adam is a very good coach. That’s why so many artists choose him in the blind auditions. But to each their own.

• Kaba says:

He could hit number one on iTunes and I’d still think that was just not sufficient

• Lee says:

@JasA: Yes. As a coach, I’d take Adam over Xtina who has her team learning yoga and doing ridiculous dance numbers that leave them breathless and pitchy. Shouldn’t they be learning how to sing better?! IMO the problem with Xtina is that she’s all glitz and no substance. Maybe this is why I preferred Tessane & Caroline’s group performance over Xtina’s group performance last week.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Some of the best world-class Broadway and opera singers actively practice breathing via yoga as breathing is half the battle in singing. And by “best,” I’m referring to names you’d have heard of. What you saw Christina doing with her contestants is not even remotely absurd like you might be thinking. To take my point further, the reason Adam’s voice is so wispy is because he is not connecting his tone to the breath. It’s all about the breathing, dude.

• Lee says:

IMO for Xtina to teach Matt and Jacqui yoga and choreography for an amateur singing competition is ridiculous. They can learn that later when they have nothing else better to do. But right now they need to nail every performance and for the past 2 weeks, I think the results prove my point.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The ability to sing well is dependent on the ability to breath correctly and have awareness of one’s breath, which yoga help with. I don’t understand where you’re coming from here. I would say a very large minority of the singers I know do yoga for that very same reason. You’ve latched onto a factoid to prove some sort of point, but the factoid you’re referring to does not help your point at all.

• myenise says:

You must have a wax build up, as that was an incredible performance of that song. Slez was off too, he should have given that an A+

• Kaba says:

Cleaned my ears, still listened and hated it. His belting is more obnoxious than Jacquie’s can be.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No, it really wasn’t an incredible performance. Listen to Melinda Doolittle’s take on that ditty in the video above. Now that is what an incredible performance of At Last looks and sounds like.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

What bothers me about Will is that his performances are so inert and vacant. He’s not a 17-year old singing about divorce or what not, so there’s no excuse. The only emotion I can see in his eyes is that of a guilty serial killer whose eyes dart around nervously. He looks so uncomfortable on stage.

• as says:

Agree. That performance by Will was all show and no heart. Adam really likes his boys…picks HUGE iconic songs trying to give them BIG WOW moments but gives his powerhouse female vocalist a song from a Jamaican festival circuit. I’ve liked James and Will all along, but not voting for them or Team Adam.

• Scamp says:

Will is now number 9 on iTunes!

• Sweet Baby says:

Loved, loved, loved it. Its the only performance tonight I keep replaying :)

• Yeah, add that to the litany of Bad Adam Advice so vast that it becomes difficult to remember them all. It would be like recalling one grain of sand.

For example, why does he always imply that choosing a song that isn’t currently well-known is a bad idea?

And why is he always expressing surprise that a singer can have imagination when they’re able to sing with conviction about an experience they haven’t personally had? It’s like he projects his own lack of imagination upon everyone else, and that’s why he’s always saying crap like, “You really have to show that you’re angry in this song. Like, snarl or something.”

• Phil says:

Angie, you said that Adam told Will to never sacrifice technical precision for emotion.

That’s actually the complete opposite of what Adam said. His exact words were “Don’t ever try to use technique here over emotion.”

I read your post before watching the show, and was baffled by it, because that’s the opposite of everything Adam says or does. While I agree with you that it was a poor song choice, the advice was not wrong.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think it’s a valid point. Both overreached at times. I found Jacquie a bit more distracting toward that end – where she was practically yelling.

• Kaba says:

The difference is, I feel, where Jacquie isn’t necessarily overreaching, these are just notes her voice isn’t fully ready to tap into…whereas Will hears his voice give him a little bit of the note he’s hoping for, then he INSISTS on blasting the hell out of it.
        He always assaults his rasp

• Teeny Bikini says:

Well, he was definitely insisting tonight :)

• Kaba says:

I’m sorry, I couldn’t stand it. I’ve heard far too many covers of “At Last” for me to even constitute that as top tier. I thought it was such a disingenuous from start to finish. Rather than feeling the song, he somehow manage to grab a club and beat it to death with his death register.

• Teeny Bikini says:

This was clearly a polarizing song choice and performance. Interesting… I doubt if he’s going anywhere tomorrow though.

• Kaba says:

It’s funny cause he was initially speculated to be the next one sent packing.
            Honestly, I can see a Bottom 3 with Matthew in it and him winning regardless of who he’s with aside from Tessanne.
            Has anyone noticed that Tessanne is destined to ALWAYS be saved should be need to be instant saved simply from the sheer amount of followers she has on twitter? Well past everyone else already.
            She could perform the weakest and still knock the top dogs out with her support should they be in the bottom 3.

• Sly says:

Yes, and Tessanne has problems with her higher register — she’ll sound good, but then she goes high for what I can only suspect she thinks are her power moments and it goes squeachy. Shouldn’t her coach work with her on that?

• Kaba says:

Lol, like she’s gonna get help from the guy with the most squeaky male voice in the industry.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Adam? Actually coach? He should start with James and then just spread himself around his team. They are all talented, but their are things that could use a little work…

• Sly says:

@Kaba — ok, good point, but someone needs to work with her on it. She’s hurting herself.

• Sly…….Tessanne has never sang a squeechy note. She is the only one who has been good every week. I know it’s hard to be objective, but her talent cannot be denied. She is absolutely amazing and I am a fan for life. Her breathing between notes is just flawless and that is what causes her to nail her notes every time she sings. She is well trained!!

• Sly says:

@rosalie — oh but she does. Which isn’t to say she isn’t any good. She’s not at all. But unless you are in fan boy mode, you have to be able to hear her problems when she tries to go high with any power. It’s there for all to hear.

• cloves says:

Most of tessanne’s twitter followers are jamaicans and their votes wont count in the twitter save (or any other method for that matter) because they are not in the “geographical area”.

• rockgolf says:

I don’t think Twitter has “geographical areas”.

• I think I finally figured out what it is about Tessanne that’s always left me wanting more and feeling that she sounds adult contemporary. Somehow, her delivery lacks rhythmic emphasis or groove. She’s not enunciating rhythmically. She was able to do that a little bit in last night’s performance and the improvement was dramatic.

• HTGR says:

YUp that is it. She uses some dynamics and hits notes all over and it has some emotion and yet it just sort of runs along blandly too often all the same, too many phrases just run straight through without subtle timing changes within them or partial note emphasesisiseses and so on. The phrasing and emphasis are sometimes too bland somehow. I think that is one of the differences between her and when a few of the others really hit it. Not that I want to harp on her in a negative way too much either though.

• THE VOICE says:

Twitter takes into account all geographical location even Jamaica. so if and when Tess reaches there all of Jamaica am sure will saving her #VoiceSaves Tessanne

• sd says:

That’s a lot of excuses for the screeching of Jacquie while criticizing Will. Seems to me you’ve just picked your favorite and Will happens to not be it. Will was way better than Jacquie throughout his song. I actually found the Jacquie song painful to listen to–lots of high notes but I couldn’t find the melody anywhere in her song. Plus she’s beyond inauthentic in these songs. There’s nothing believable about her singing these songs that are way too grown up for her. Plus in the group number she was very weak and showed her pitch problems.

• Kaba says:

Jacquie doesn’t by any means need to be my favorite for me to still not have enjoyed that rendition of “At Last” by any means. I have no problem saying Jacquie hit a lot of bum notes (that were evidently ignored due to her in the pimp spot). In terms of that song being “screechy”, I swear, listen to other belted out renditions of the song. Actually, here’s another person belting out the song as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6e5BeG4nNM
            Main difference? Her voice is fully developed and fuller around the edges as opposed to Jacquie. Meanwhile, watching Adam tell Will he can throw out technical proficience was just flooring to me. Then he proceeded to go on to hit some of the most excessive and screechy notes I’ve ever witnessed him hit and nothing about it came off as any more genuine as Jacquie’s performance.

• Nedsdag says:

Thank you! Just because Jacquie is “young” and “cute” doesn’t mean she cannot be criticized. Jacquie has to find a middle ground to her singing. She’s either too low or too screechy. I thought Jacquie was A- and Will was A just for taking a risk.

• Lee says:

I think an A- is still too high for Jacquie. I would’ve given her a B.

• Tom22 says:

@Kaba .. I didn’t like the one you linked much at all. … because I’m into a certain type of rhythms and annunciations that Jaquie brings. The warbles are all wrong.. a warble has is own cadence.. and can accelerated .. a triplet isnt’ 3 even notes etc. And I can just “eat up” the way Jacquie holds the consonant on “waaaaaaaaaaah der”… makes me relate to a “wonder” as a “pause” in our thoughts.. what the word is?
            Little stuff like that.. fractions of instants in difference make all the difference to me ..
            Can the higher notes be a bit “thicker”.. with undertones that might soften the tone as her vocal-cords get thicker as she ages? Probably. But screech is too much for me — it isn’t a straining to hit the note but a hitting of a note in a strong way that might be say a less pleasant sound.
            We normal people aren’t really familiar with phonetic symbols but I’ll give it a shot The “I”s and “Cry”s in the song are probably good examples of notes that people who are calling her “screechy” find unpleasant(you’re entitled to say it is unpleasant to your own ear after all .. its your ear ). I think the tone she uses up there is closer to the “aye” as in “aye aye captain” than “eye” as in “something is stuck in my eye” …. very subtle and different from person to person and I’m not a specialist in this but I’ve beein thinking hard about it in relation to her and also to a degree one particular other musician. I think that the “eye” in the “eye in the head’ has a bit more “ah” in “ahhh , I see” mixed in and the “aye aye captain” might have more “me” and the “ah” resonates more warmly than an “e” in “me” ..
            Regional ? I wonder if people in New Jersey tend to say “I” in a way others in the country find a bit hard on the ear ? (I also think that some of the “a” as in “apple” in upstate new york and I think maybe Chicago stikes many people in the country as unpleasant but goes unnoticed by locals ? (and for that matter.. don’t people from Chicago say Chicago differently that we’d hear on “standard” american TV pronunciation ? don’t they tend to may the “a” in Chicago in a more nasally way and others expect a national News caster to use a “more pleasant” sounding ah as in “dawn” (and there is this huge divide regionally where 1/2 of the country finds the names Don and Dawn to be identical having lost the distinction between the sounds where the other 1/2 makes Don a bit closer to Dan, and Dawn distinct)

• will says:

Kaba, linking versions of the song that sound worse than Jacquie’s does not prove your point. I enjoy Sam Bailey but this was not a performance I enjoyed because it wasn’t a very good rendition.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I think Jacquie’s awesome, but man does she have some rather distracting pitch issues. She was under for a good chunk of the song. If she could fix that, I would so be on board the “Jacquie for the win” cheer leading squad.

• Kaba says:

Yeah I recognize how under she was during that song.
          Thankfully she had the pimp spot so nobody cared. She’s through to next week hopefully.
          Christina appears to be addressing the issues that are often regularly discussed about her contestants (hence her wanting Jacquie to tone down her singing range with “Clarity” and what she intended with Matthew…) but she needs to dedicate a week to just their pitch.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Clarity highlighted that she can’t sing softly and needs to go for ff and ffff dynamics. Point noted, which is how we ended up with tonight’s song choice. If she had the pitch right, she’d be unstoppable. I’m still tentatively rooting for her.

• Kaba says:

She’s the only one who reminds me I have a pulse now really.
            Less often do the others.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m in the rare position of liking all the finalists at this point. I don’t think that that’s ever happened. It almost happened last season of Idol in the top 10 had Lazaro never been there. The other 9 were varying levels of awesome. I’m ok with any of these remaining Voice folks winning.

• Mr. Soul says:

Agree. She was yelling so loud and screechy at the end of her song I had to mute the TV.

• HTGR says:

Get speakers that don’t have nasty treble boost (as so many do).

• Taylor says:

@HTGR -For the love of god, it has nothing to do with our speakers lol. The girl can’t sing. She has to scream every single note hoping we will not notice her pitch issues. Simple. Stop blaming her constant screaming on our speakers!!

• danin says:

Kaba, I think Will has been a pretty nervous singer. I think they are supporting him cause his dad is or was in Chicago. Talk about an underwhelming presence.

• Kaba says:

There are moments when I appreciate him, but his way of doing things is tiresome. The choices that he obviously makes when he sings perplex me. There’s always one excessively belted, raspy note that is generally well off tune that he’s always. ALWAYS hitting.
        I want to support him, but “At Last” was the finals straw for me honestly.

• ETG says:

I hated his performance. And I have been a fan of his.

• Jlq529 says:

I love Tessanne, but she is a professional back up singer and Will should not need The Voice with his connections, after all his father is/was in the group Chicago. He is a good singer, but what ruins it for me is how competitive he is, and how he over does his songs. I think that comes from being overly competitive. The others seem more supportive, and while Matthew is competitive, he does not come across like Will does. Will needs to work his connections and make room for someone who is really trying to break through.
      This is my first time watching The Voice, and I have to say the top 8 are all great. What a difference from American Idol in the talent pool area. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching James because he is an irony, as Ceelo said, and he takes risks, but shows how versatile he is.

• RS says:

I thought Will was ok last night but after re watching it this morning it was AWFUL!!!!
      I must have been high last night.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Jackie was flat consistently throughout the song. And absolutely no dynamics whatsoever, only fff.

• HTGR says:

Really? None? Never mind she started out 10x softer than James ever was and used tons of microdynamics even when she was loud.

3. efe says:

I have a feeling Caroline will be in the bottom 3 again. Since they are giving her really crappy placements and weird song choices. I think she has to recapture the magic that was “The Way I Am”. I think if she performs Fidelity by Regina Spektor, she will win no doubt.

• B. says:

When Caroline was doing the group performance of Lego House I was wondering WHY she didn’t do that as her solo?? CeeLo is not doing so well with song choices for her. Its like he doesn’t know what to do with her :-/

• efe says:

Everyone is saying Caroline should push herself and pick something unexpected. I think she should go back to cutesy-small-scale performances where she works her magic.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I thought this week was way better than last week. I hope she’s not in the bottom again.

• Mr. Soul says:

I think it was just another bad song choice by Cee-Lo. Her sound is almost exactly opposite what Florence + The Machine is.

• sd says:

You could blame Ceelo but he also doesn’t have a lot to work with in Caroline. She’s really a niche singer with limited range so there’s only so many songs she can sing. She also seems to keep her voice small so I wish she’d just open up more and just sing.

I can see her having a music career but I don’t see her winning this show.

• MC says:

ITA about Caroline. People sometimes get pushed through these competitions because they are likeable. The producers also can quickly predict who will be likeable while the first few shows of the season are still being taped. They are actually paid to know who is going to be popular before they become popular. Likeability definitely trumps talent on these shows. Talent is a wonderful asset, but you don’t have to be a musical genius to make the top ten on one of these shows. Some of the musical geniuses may actually be left behind solely because they are not charming on television.

4. Erin says:

I kind of wish Xtina would just leave well enough alone with Jacquie–to my mind, she seemed more confident and comfortable with herself (and could definitely work the stage!) back when she did “I Put a Spell on You” and “Love is Blindness”–but I still thought her performance was the best of the night. Fingers cross for tomorrow night, Jacquie fans.

5. Chuck Finley says:

Man, those were some horrific song choices except maybe for the Florence and the Machine choice. Terrible. Tessanne Chin is going home no doubt. No one is going to buy that song on iTunes.

• AC Milan says:

The one that no one will buy is It’s Time. Right now, Matthew and Ray aren’t in the conversation as far as charting goes.

• Tyler says:

I like your sarcasm.

• Andrew says:

Tessanne charted with many rivers to cross dont see why she wont with this song.. seeing she had one of the better performances tonight… James should go home along with ray

• Blank slate says:

Could not listen to Tessane. Find her bland and boring and her voice is constantly beneath the proper notes.

• Susan says:

Blank slate your name suits you. If you can have such an opinion of this lady who by far is the most consistent and entertaining performer in the competition you need to remain just that… A BLANK SLATE.

• Lee says:

Here. Here.

• RS says:

She is great, but with Adam as her coach she will end up like Judith Hill or Sarah Simmons.
            Adam talks the talk but never walks the walk.

• Blank Slate says:

So wrong on many levels but I’m not here to be critiqued for my opinion, both professional and personal.

I am open to appreciating each voice, each genre. If you are going to slam someone’s user name, do try to understand what it means.

Have a happy Thanksgiving, Susan.

• Blank Slate says:

Susan needs a coach in niceness.

• NotHappeningTonight says:

Tessanne seems a really sweet person, But she has zero charisma and wedding singer stage presence. Pleasant bacground noise, but nothing you would stop your conversation long enough to actually listen to. I did feel sorry for her in her solo number and can only assume she did something to piss off the stylist this week. No one, no matter how boring, deserved to be shoved in those acid washed jeans and puke yellow jacket.

• RS says:

Actually its Ray and Carline going home tonight.

• Flygrrl40 says:

You might be right. Having just watched it this morning, I felt badly for Caroline. She looked SUPER uncomfortable throughout the whole performance. Totally different vibe, say, from that 4-some number where she was relaxed and happy. Also something was off with the background singers on her number; like she couldn’t quite get the timing exactly right. I hope she doesn’t go home because of all this.

• MC says:

For the tweens out there who don’t know these songs, buy the iTunes originals of Somebody To Love, Underneath It All, Dog Days Are Over, Gimme Some Lovin’ (simplistic, but very soulful) and I promise you won’t be disappointed.

• MC says:

Also, I have to recommend the Melissa Etheridge version of “Refugee” from earlier this season. Tom Petty was the original artist, but Melissa recorded the definitive cover of it imo.

• danin says:

I think most of the songs, aside from worn out classics, the newer ones are just junk. Sprinkled throughout the season, the rare, newer quality song has emerged. James singing Love Interruption. Jaquie singing Back to Black, Kat singing the living heck out of Sail.

• MC says:

Underneath It All is not a worn-out classic. It hasn’t been covered that much, to my knowledge. The whole No Doubt catalogue is extensive and really good, but many tweens probably aren’t too familiar with them. Refugee (the Melissa Etheridge version) and Somebody To Love (the Freddie Mercury/Queen original) are still incredible. I think that younger viewers, who religiously watch these talent shows, feel these songs are worn-out because they’ve been covered so much. The covers, however, imo rarely equal the originals. Somebody To Love is a good example of that. It’s been covered to death, but anyone who doesn’t know the Freddie Mercury original has never really heard the song imo.

• MC says:

Regarding “Underneath It All,” this may be one of the “least exciting” No Doubt jams. However, I recall that the band wanted a slower tempo for this song (as opposed to their usual energetic and awesome jams) because it was meant to reflect the slower pace of life in Jamaica and other places down South. For instance, a person from a big city in the North will quickly notice life is a couple of beats slower in the South. Thus, the band jarringly and deliberately slowed the tempo to reflect a culture shock that Northerners often feel when visiting Jamaica (or even Southern cities in the USA).

• hella says:

Sweet pea.. your wrong! haha

• Mr. Soul says:

You must be deaf. Caroline had one of the worst song choices for her voice, while Tessanne had one of the best. Is it backwards day?

• RS says:

C-Lo must want to sabotage Caroline with that horrible song choice, she doesnt have the musical chops or stage presence to pull that off….C-LO SHOULD HAVE KNOW THAT.

6. AC Milan says:

Interesting show. My top three of the night were Tessanne, Will, and Jacquie, as I suspect will be most others. Will started off key, but made up for it at the end. Jacquie finally found her sweet spot tonight without pushing herself into squeaking tones. Tessanne has been my favorite since the blinds, and it was great hearing her not need to belt.

James, Ray, Matthew, and Caroline all fell flat. Cole was decidedly average, and should be fine for next week.

The performance of Lego House was actually painful to watch/hear.

I’d send home James and Ray.

7. Amanda says:

This certainly wasn’t my favorite of Matthew’s performances, but a D+? That seems way too harsh.
    Jacquie continues to be the best surprise of the season.

8. Sam says:

Okay…I normally don’t comment on your crazy…but James “should” go home instead of Matthew?!?!? If you are basing it on this week, then Matthew should go home. And yes, I realize I will get a ton of hate based on this. But he was not up to par, you state he performed at a D+ level…and still, James should go home? And a C? Really? I have no words….

• lynn says:

Why would you only base it off of this week? Matthew has been the best or one of the best every week in this competition. He’s allowed a bad week.

9. lmjo says:

Yeah, I really enjoyed James tonight too. I thought this was one of his best performances. I hope he stays, or gets the twitter save.

I do agree about Ray being in the bottom though. I like his style, but the competition is so tight this year, I think he falls a bit short.

My bottom would be: Cole, Ray, and Matthew (Sorry, that was just not a good song choice for Mr. Schuler).

10. Tyler says:

IMO I thought Tessanne turned in the best performance of the night. I guess I should thank Adam for finally doing what a bunch of us have been waiting for him to do. I liked her performance so much that I didn’t wait a minute to buy her iTune. I kinda feel sorry for Matthew and James. I think both Xtina and Adam are messing them up. Matthew sounded out of breath and flat from beginning to end. And James just does not have the type of voice to sing a Freddy Mercury song unless it was rearranged to suit him. As usual, Cole was same-ol’, same-ol’. I think the bottom 2 will be Ray and Cole.

11. efe says:

By the way, Ray’s vocal tonight was good as always. But the performance itself was a joke.

Jacquie was really great. It was one of her best vocals but this time some of her stage stuff felt a little forced. (when she broke down on her knees for ex.)

Tessanne and Will did both their songs justice and gave them their own flavour.

Cole was insanely boring. He’s the most hit-and-miss contestant for me this season.

The big disappointment of the night to me was Matthew. His first 2 choruses were completely out of breath. I think it was a really terrible song choice. But it’s okay for him to have a bad week since he’s been amazing every other week.

12. Sergio says:

Wow.. I understand you like jaquie, but she got an A and Will an A -? Will was the best tonight!! And ray and Caroline are leaving romorrow

• Mark Rodriguez says:

Please …..People. Enough is enough. Caroline DEFINITELY has to go. The same “Disney cutsie” voice tonight, only louder. John …very good. Jacquie….spectacular…..Matt….off this week, but he will bounce back. Tessanna, sorry to say, she must join Caroline….regretably.

13. Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

How can I both admire (or something along those lines) the coaches but also yell I could do their jobs better (I couldn’t)? Christina has made lots of great decisions and is arguably in my top 5 favorite singers, but then she chooses It’s Time for Matthew. Adam chose good songs for his current and past pupils(?), but then he destroys James. And Cee-Lo picks Roxanne for Juliet Simms (his best decision ever), but then screws over everyone else (a lot of times, not always.

14. JM says:

Michael, how can you give Will an A-?? That was definitely an A+++. So outta left field and performed with such heart and soul. Easily the best of the night. I also thought James was definitely better than a C. Personally, I thought it was going to be a disaster (have seen it done many times very badly), so kudos to him for proving me wrong. Also, Caroline really stepped up her game this week and showed that she DOES have range.

My grades:

James: B+
    Tessanne: B-
    Caroline: B+
    Cole: B-
    Matthew: F
    Will: A+
    Ray: B-
    Jacquie: C

Should be bottom: Matthew, Jacquie, Ray
    Will be bottom: Matthew, Ray, ? (James?)

• RS says:

caroline and ray to go home tonight.

• JM says:

I hope not. I love Caroline.

• Tom22 says:

I bought Carolines pre-show EP and l’m really liking her original song “The Race”. I think the competition is wearing on her and that the pace is too quick for her to get her head around new songs artistically as she would if she had more time. Some singers seem quicker at this than others…maybe even a few years more of doing it helps alot. . I’m wondering if the competition is doing her more harm than good if she comes off less special each week and loses potential long term fans more than gains them?

• JM says:

Agree. Love her originals. You may be right about the show wearing on her. She seems so dejected from last week’s ranking her in the bottom 3. It’s tough to take at any age, but so young, it’s brutal.

• Lee says:

I don’t think Tessanne deserves the same grade as Ray and Cole. In my eyes you lost credibility right there.

15. PB says:

Slezak really is as deaf as a post…..It’s quite amazing how a guy who obviously enjoys the show and writes about it can so consistently and completely come to the wrong conclusions. Impressive. Very impressive (Best Darth Vader voice). He doesn’t even try to stay objective.

• Dan (Haleyloonie) says:

Can we just agree to disagree?

• Angie_Overrated says:

He’s a critic, not simply a recapper. Can you imagine reading a review of 12 Years a Slave in the Washington Post and have it be nothing more than a plot synopsis? I think you might be confusing the two roles.

• PB says:

I didn’t criticize the approach to his articles. It’s how his tastes or critiques can’t seem to lead to the correct conclusions or certainly understand where the tastes of the audience lie. It doesn’t matter to me, I find it hilarious and I’m quite sure it doesn’t matter to him as long as people click on the article. He’s the Charlie Brown of The Voice…….I find it enjoyable. Folks troll around or play counter intuitive all the time on the internet. I think you might be confusing the concepts.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Correct conclusions?! We’re talking music!!! There are correct answers on how to differentiate a linear equation, but there are no correct answers when you’re critiquing music. I don’t get what you’re saying at all. And I think you might be confusing the concept of your tastes versus the tastes of the audience.

• NotHappeningTonight says:

LOL..”correct conclusion” here having the meaning of “agreeing with me”.

• Lee says:

I think I understand what PB is trying to say and if Angie took some anger management classes (or medication for his ADHD), then I think he’d understand it too. IMO essentially what PB is saying is that Michael Slezak is BIAS and unable to be OBJECTIVE in his opinions. Take a chill pill and think about it.

• MC says:

It’s unfortunate that younger, impressionable people think certain columnists are infallible. You can miss out on the joy of discovery. For instance, Michael is dismissive of the original “Underneath It All” by No Doubt. However, they were amazing artists in the nineties and their catalogue of music is fantastic, inspired and well conceived. The word “artist” is tossed around much too casually, especially in regard to singers on reality shows, but No Doubt (fronted by the very sexy and underrated vocalist Gwen Stefani) were true artists. You might get a different impression, however, from reading this week’s column.

• Better Sundays says:

Slezak is not deaf — he plays favorites. Sorry, Michael. I love you, but you do. Your insistence on Jacquie’s screeching over Will’s phenomenal “At Last” is mortifyingly biased.

• Kaba says:

I give up. Will was literally rewarded for hitting that screechy glory note.
        Meanwhile Jacquie could sing “Back to Black” 3 times over and be called screechy.
        K

• sd says:

Will found the melody and tune to his songs while Jacquie just screeches for the majority of the time. She’s just not enjoyable to listen to but she’s Slezak’s pet so can do no wrong.

• Kaba says:

Saw someone use the word “screech” once, and now it’ll be run to the ground regardless of whether or not it’s actually applicable. I’ll just patiently wait for us to return to calling it “belting”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfthzU3V4zo

• HTGR says:

Seriously? Who is being biased now. Will didn’t even have the quiet acapella intro she did and she certainly didn’t any less note hitting later on and he came closer to what you are talking about later so…. your comments are 100% inconsistent.

• HTGR says:

What? If anything Will was more ‘screechy’ what are you talking about. The only thing I can think is you have one of those tinny speakers that makes high notes shrill so you think Will who came closer to what you complain of than her tonight was less so. I loved both.

16. NatasyaF says:

Not always a Will fan, but I really liked his “At Last”. Matthew, surprisingly, was “Meh” tonight, Tessanne did a great job on a rather sleepy song, liked Caroline’s *slight* change-up. . .But Jacquie–did NO one notice she was totally flat for most of the song?? Ray tried to be entertaining (sorta succeeded) with a 4-note song. . .I forget the rest. . .

17. Angie_Overrated says:

Poor Matthew. Xtina torpedoed him tonight with that absolutely insane advice to dance. A) He can’t dance, so any effort spent on dancing looked sad and desperate, and B) he’s an awesome singer who was left huffing and puffing from his mentor’s ill-advised advice to dance (poorly), which left him too breathless to sing. Ms. Aguilera needs to regroup and figure out what she’s doing wrong, because this is the second consecutive week she torpedoed her mentees. Last week she screwed both and this week she fared much better by only screwing half her team.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Nope, I never need to see choreography from Matthew again. That was quite enough… Also, dancing + singing is pretty hard to do – now, was not the time to spring that on him.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m having nightmarish flashbacks of Trevin Hunt walkin’ on sunshine. I barf just a little bit every time I recall that unfortunate event. Poor Trevin. And now poor Matthew. They need to take a page out of the disco queen’s playbook, and yes I’m talking about Donna Summer. Despite all her songs being dance songs, she NEVER danced while singing. Why? Because you can’t do that!!! She just let it rip, which is what Matthew needs to do if he’s lucky enough to make it to next week.

• Flygrrl40 says:

Totally true! You see it all the time with contestants, figuring that out.
        Actually, you know who could sing and dance without missing a breathe? Cute little DEZ from last year!!!! LoL Say what you will about him, but he was in GREAT shape and I remember they would give him these songs where he would have to dance and jump around, and dude wouldn’t miss a note or even breathe slightly hard!!! ha!

• memphis says:

Agree completely. Made me feel sad for Matthew. Why did Christina do this?

• HTGR says:

I thought at one point they said he was 100% behind the song choice and had even requested it and had been dying to do it or something like that.

18. cloves says:

Loved loved loved Tessanne tonight, but her itunes showing isnt looking overly impressive so far. Hope it picks up, wanna see more of what she can do. Loved Will tonight tonight too…

• petrona bailey says:

Agree,Tessanne was very good tonight. I listened her song more than a hundred times already. vote, vote, because she really have a lot more to offer to the show.i can’t imagine it without her.

19. alejandro says:

I don’t know why but I cannot understand the praise for James as the best performance from him, not to mention the best of The Voice history. Man, that was the worst cover I have ever heard of this song, even More Than A Feeling is better. I was waiting for it wow me in some way but it didn’t. It was screechy, pitchy and he couldn’t belt out any high notes.
    On a side note, Matthew, Tessanne and Ray are in the bottom on Itunes. If those are really the Bottom 3 tomorrow, I wonder who will be saved. Will it be Tessanne or Matthew?

20. AlyB says:

That was a great show tonight. I think you’re being a little hard on Matthew. That was not a D+ level performance. Not his best but a D+? I thought he struggled with his breath control because of the dancing and when I heard him on the group song he sounded a little hoarse. It wasn’t that bad though.
    Jacquie, Will & Tessanne took the night for me. Jacquie was back to doing her thing & she blows it out of the water when she does. I was kind of worried when I heard Will was doing At Last but he just killed it. That was magnificent. Tessanne finally found the perfect song for the show. It was fun, engaging but still showed off her killer vocals. This is the 1st time I’ve purchased one of her itunes and I love it.

Caroline doing Florence & the Machine should have been sublime. That was perfect for her & she sang it well but she looked a little sad & unsure of herself for some reason. Cole sounded fantastic as did Ray but neither of them are doing music that I particularly like. They’re both really talented though. James I have trouble connecting with at all and I’m not sure why. I have A Case of You which I think has been his best on the show and I absolutely love. There’s something about him that’s just really uncomfortable and I can’t put my finger on it. Tonight, he did ok. Do I want the song or will I vote for him, no. I hope you’re right & it’s Ray & James going home tomorrow. Any way it goes, it’s going to be tough.

21. Kaba says:

I feel like James is becoming more and more of a parody of what a rocker with a different sense of personality ought to be by the week.
    This was the culmination of it. It was sung well, but nothing made sense to me.

• Susan says:

Yes…. James has a great voice, but he seems more karaoke to me every week for some reason. I don’t think he is a power rocker – although he is a rocker and has power – and he seems lost in his own skin in some of these songs, especially last night. Adam gets anxious as a coach in the latter weeks every time and pushes his singers into niches where they don’t fit. Somewhat same with Christina’s treatment of Matthew. Adam’s anxiety over Will showed itself in his notably less ringing endorsement of his performance afterward. I’m pleased that the fans weren’t affected by it because I thought Will’s performance much better than James’.

22. CMG says:

I’m sorry, but I have absolutely NO idea what Michael was listening to. Really, C- for James? And should/will go home? I simply don’t agree with either. He killed that song. Then to go on and give Tessanne an A-? I thought this was one of her weakest performances, over-singing the song and hitting some really unpleasant tones with her voice, and I’ve been a big Tessanne fan so far.

About the only one I agree with was Michael’s rating of Matthew’s performance. He had another incredibly rough performance this week. His voice was thin, and he was bouncing all around the notes and never hitting them.

I’d say that Matthew and Caroline “should go” home… but I’d guess Caroline and Ray “will go.”

23. Tonight was not only the best episode of the season, but the best episode of any singing show ever. I would rank it even more highly than American Idol Season 1’s Big Band Night or American Idol Season 6’s Bon Jovi night. I’m not exaggerating. I haven’t seen multiple showstoppers in the same night since the days of Fantasia Barrino and Latoya London, but Tessanne;s, Will;s, and Jacquie’s performances were all easily showstopper. And even the ones that weren’t showstoppers were great 5-star performances: James, Caroline, Cole, and Ray all knocked it out of the park. Matthew’s performance was the only one a little shaky, but even that would be considered strong on any other night. I have no idea how America will choose, but I”m just gonna play my DVR and watch this show 7 more times. Unbelievable.

24. Rod says:

When it comes to song choice, the coaches should NEVER give an artist a current popular song as no one will buy their version on iTunes when it’s still on the regular radio rotation. And they should NEVER give their artist a classic unless they have the range to make it their own. It is what takes a good artist out of the competition every season.

• Kaba says:

That’s all Michelle Chamuel’s body of work was last season and she generally charted above the top 30 regularly.
      Even charted in the top 10 with “I Knew You Were Trouble” when the song was still bloody popular.

25. lmjo says:

Well, as of right now, Will (28), Cole (47), and James (58) are the top three Voice contestants charting on iTunes.

• Bobby says:

I just don’t GET everyone fascination with Cole? He’s mostly forgettable save for his atrocious beard and hairdo.

• Ginger Snap says:

Cole is a throwback to the days of classic rock bands. Put a guitar in his hands and give him something gritty and he sells. Blake is the perfect mentor for him because he’s a throwback too, only he has added the country twang. Just listen to the songs from the 70s and 80s and you will hear Cole.

He’s refreshing on a show that pushes these guys to put the pedal to the metal, oversing, and throw the melody out the window.

Cole is going to be around for a long time.

• HTGR says:

Wow so wrong. James was sort of weird tonight and Cole was kind of bland, he wasn’t bad but it wasn’t anything all that special either.

26. debi says:

I think I must have grown accustomed to Danielle’s perfect voice and song choices. This season is a bust for me. Nobody excites me at all. Jacquie sounds screechy to me and I can barely listen to her. Caroline was my favorite but at the end it seemed she forgot the words and had a deer in the headlights look. I hope the show is better in the spring. Worst season yet for me.

• MC says:

ITA, although Jacquie is at least interesting and keeps me awake. I like her more than you do, but she’s a work in progress. I also like Will and Tessanne to some extent. Ray has improved significantly, but still wobbles enough to be just average for me. I enjoyed listening to Danielle every week. I definitely was spoiled by her consistency.

27. Ginger Snap says:

I detect a bit of psychology here by our dear recapper. He’s pushing the girls because we have only 3 left, but they may not have given the best performances. Because we don’t want to talk about the elephant in the room.
    The guys are just cooler this year.

28. Clement says:

#28 Will Champlin – At Last
    #47 Cole Vosbury – I Still Believe In You
    #58 James Wolpert – Somebody To Love
    #73 Jacquie Lee – Who’s Lovin’ You Now
    #78 Caroline Pennell – Dog Days Are Over
    #93 Tessanne Chin – Underneath It All
    #137 Ray Boudreaux – Gimme Some Lovin’
    #169 Matthew Schuler – It’s Time

Preliminary rankings on iTunes, and it’s not pretty.

• JM says:

Well, I know the only one I’m buying is Will’s, and it looks like the public agrees.

• missvci says:

Why do people continue to buy Cole’s boring song. Yeah he’s a good singer, but they are all good singers. This whole team blake + country song just screws it up for us yankees I guess. I’m fearing will have another good but boring team blake winner this season again.

• Better Sundays says:

Looks pretty to me. #TeamChamp

• Ginger Snap says:

Other than Jacqui who continues to blast through songs leaving them battered and bruised, that’s just the way I would rank them . The best performance of the night belongs to Will and Cole has mastered cool. I could easily see him fronting a cool rock band.

29. Ron says:

This was NOT Matthew’s night. I think a D+ is a little too harsh, though. I’m thinking more a C or C- (the minus for the stupid dancing that left him gasping for breath). And apparently everyone was going to let James slide for being off pitch several times throughout the song??? What was with all the praise? Because vocally, he pushed his voice too much and it caused him to be off key. I have to give it up to Jacquie. Some people may not like her, but starting off a song a cappella and then having the music come in (especially having the music come in while she was already singing) is pretty risky because if you start a cappella you run a good risk of being sharp or flat because you don’t have the music to cue you. And if you start sharp or flat and then the music comes in, it becomes blindingly obvious you are off pitch. However, Jacquie nailed it.

30. Janiecanuck says:

I really enjoyed James and the James clones were amusing as well!
    Although I was cheering for Ray at first I’ve found his last couple of performances as bland as Michael found Carson Daly’s critiques! And there were at least three artists tonight (James, Will and Jacquie) who could be given contracts right away regardless of the results!

31. Chablis says:

I hope Mathew stays.

32. Kaba says:

As for Jacquie’s performance….that was the moment Christina Aguilera II was born.
    The moment she grasps perfect control of her pitch and her voice gets some age, those squeaker/screecher notes will just be oh so sweet.

• Davey says:

I think Jacquie should do a record in another year or two. I wish she would do a song that suits her age. I don’t care to see angry Jacquie.

• Taylor says:

She won’t have a voice left if she doesn’t stop constantly screaming every single note. It really isn’t singing. It is bellowing. That is not talent. You have to have good pitch. A strong voice without pitch is not a good voice.

33. Jake says:

Overall it was a great night for the top 8. Have to say that the eight remaining singers trump the previous 4 seasons, for sure!

My faves tonight were pretty much in line with yours. Jacquie, Will, Cole and Tessanne.
    Will took a huge risk singing ‘At Last’ was the biggest surprise! I also wasn’t expecting such a disastrous performance from Matthew.

Should be bottom 3: Matthew, Ray, Caroline – Should Go Home: Ray, Caroline

Will be bottom 3: James, Ray, Caroline – Will Go Home Ray, Caroline

Thought you were way to generous with Caroline’s letter grade. The lack of energy killed that performance for me. Great coaching job, per usual Cee Lo! :(

• Mark Rodriguez says:

Agreed……Caroline needs to be on a jet plane going home. 2nd to leave…..Ray or Tessanne…tough choice here.

34. senorskippy says:

What happens to the losers each week? Are they let down easy or is it “so long, don’t let the door hit you on the way out”

• Jeffrey Cook says:

The let down itself is pretty terrible – but some of the coaches have shown signs of keeping in touch with members of their teams and continuing to help them along. A number of Voice contestants who didn’t win have still gone on to starting careers in the music industry. Hopefully that will be the case with some of this year’s as well.

35. woodyinho says:

Matthew is in danger but hopefully twitter will save him.

36. LIKED: Will & Tessanne | DISLIKED: Matthew, Ray, & James | SAFE: Everyone else

37. missvci says:

Interesting how Matthew’s Hallelujah (2 weeks old now) is charting above “It’s Time” on itunes. I know it doesn’t count towards votes, but obviously people still love him.

and I agree with Slezak Matt deserved a D tonight, just because he set the bar that high. and ruined an Imagine Dragon song.

My top two of the night: Tessanne and Caroline (both picked the perfect songs for themselves and rocked them)

I really don’t want to see anyone go but if I had to pick two: Cole and James, but I know Cole is sticking around till the finals.

• Davey says:

Hallelujah does still count as votes, it just doesn’t count for voting Matthew in this week. Songs from other weeks will be added to the total votes near the end — or something like that.

• LB says:

People might not still be buying Hallelujah. The chart ranking is likely based on total song downloads over an extended period of time, with more recent downloads receiving more weight than older downloads. I’m guessing the sheer number of Hallelujah downloads from last Monday are keeping the song relatively high on the charts, despite the downloads not carrying as much weight as downloads from this week’s song.

38. TayTay says:

Caroline Pennell has THE most unique voice of any artist in this competition. People who understand true artistry should be excited every week to see what this girl does with a song. Even the not so great ones sound interesting when she sings them. And come on James haters, you should be ashamed for speaking so poorly about his incredibly engaging performance. He’s quirky and surprising, dynamic, contradictory, and interesting. He’s everything the world of entertainment demands of its entertainers. Bottom two SHOULD be Jacquie and Ray. I’ve heard those voices before. If it’s not interesting, I’m not listening.

• Kaba says:

I legitimately think you’re dumb…..

• Blank Slate says:

Comments like this are why it is pointless engaging in conversation here. I hope the extremely intelligent and kind Michael Slezak makes a point on his portion of TV LINE to oust rude people with their rude comments such as the one above, Keep this place classy; don’t let it dissolve into one of those TV blogs with posts filled with juvenile, immature babble. I come here for the brains behind the screen but some of the commenters here are making it an unpleasant experience. There are less worthy sites for people who reduce their opinions to idiotic name-calling. Leave TV LINE out of that mix, please.

• Blank Slate says:

And for the record, I was referring to the “You’re dumb” comment. But this site used to attract more intelligent posts; the level of incivility grows at an alarming rate. Quite disappointed. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

• Roger says:

I wholeheartedly agree with you – this forum is not place for negativity or divisivness. This should be a place to express opinions in a thoughtful and constructive manner. On that note, I believe the correct decisions were made last night regarding the top 6. I think Caroline has promise but she needs to come out of her shell and gain some more experience. I think Ray has great promise and he just needs to hone his craft a little more also. This is probably going to be the best finals since The Voice started as all of them have carved out their own niche. At this point I wouldn’t even hazard to guess who the eventual finalists would be – although I think it would be great to see an all Team Adam top three.

• Laurie says:

Oh yes, throw a pair of glasses on someone and they’re suddenly “quirky.”

• LB says:

James is quirky even without glasses. Check out his mannerisms. Plus, 90% of the people who choose to attend Carnegie Mellon are quirky (I’m an alumna so I have first hand experience).

• missvci says:

wow you had me at Caroline, then lost me at James and pissed me off when you said Jacqui should go home.

#TeamEveryone

• TC says:

couldn’t agree with you more about Caroline, Tay Tay. Caroline’s voice is pure magic. I don’t need screeching and stage theatrics (i.e.-Jacquie) to enjoy a performance. Sometime simple is best. As for James, let’s just agree to disagree

39. Dani says:

Tessanne has a power house voice. She has THEEE voice. She could sing anything really, any range and make it sound good. I think her coach needs to choose a song for her thats not necessarily ‘back to her roots’ but what Majority of America can listen to. She needs to show her versatility. Would love to hear her sing a fun ROCK song solo, as well as a nice soul ballad.

• Kaba says:

It gets ever so tiresome that people default (or maybe just equate) “The Voice” to the biggest and most well rounded powerhouse vocals

40. Laurie says:

I gotta say, I thought Tessanne was fantastic on a difficult song tonight (and I was starting to get a little bored with her). Will and Jacquie were both great if not excellent. Cole was solid. OK performances from all the rest EXCEPT for Matthew, which shocked me. However, based on cumulative performances, I think we can afford to lose James and Ray at this point in time. Both are decent singers but ultimately forgettable.

41. Andrew says:

Please let me remind you itunes followers that it has been misleading these past weeks.. matthew is not going home I’m sorry.. sorry to say that Caroline might end up back in the bottom 3

42. Dan says:

I think Christina is very intelligent and knows what she’s doing. She purposely instructed Matthew to be mediocre so he would be sent to the Bottom 3 knowing he will get the Instant Save and thus Eliminate the other 2 contestants by default, while redeeming Jacquie who had a really poor showing last week with a really powerful song choice and performance this week. And it WILL pay off. This year is #TeamXtina. The ONLY question is will Jacquie or Matthew win? Xtina’s ALREADY winning!!!

43. Rissa says:

I love Matthew (he, Caroline, and Will are my top 3 – in no particular order), but his solo performance fell flat for me tonight. In his defense, you could tell from watching the pre-packaged video clip that he wasn’t exactly thrilled with the proposed choreography he was given for tonight. Those dancers behind him were literally pointless, and at times, they somehow had worse rhythm than the studio audience who never really seem to understand the concept that not every song has an uptempo beat.

My favorite performances from the night were Will, Caroline, and the second group singing Lego House. (Am I deaf? I still can’t quite grasp what all the Jacquie hype is all about. I wish they’d stop ramming it down our throats that she’s only 16, because I highly doubt people would like her voice as much if she were, say, 25 or 30.)

44. Kaba says:

Did people forget the part where Jacquie and Matthew already have very strong fanbases?
    Jacquie managed to avoid what appeared to be an impending bottom 3 last week while Caroline ending up there instead though she charted well beyond Jacquie.
    Let’s not forget the voters outside of the itunes sales. We seem to be relying too heavily on that now.

• Davey says:

I bet Jacquie was four from the bottom last week. I didn’t really like her tonight either. I didn’t like the song choice. I really don’t know what kind of album she would make.

• Kaba says:

That’s a limp reason to dislike someone. There have been times when people have been superb but I had no clue the kind of music they’d make, but I still voted.
        Nonetheless you simply don’t like her. To each their own.

• Misilin says:

I disagree, contrary to the praise heaped on James every week by the judges, Will actually have more dedicated fans than anyone because he’s the under dog and Americans love an honest, humble and genuine artist. Though nerdy but loving.

• Misilin says:

Sorry this reply is to Davey.

• danin says:

but Will isn’t an underdog. His dad was in Chicago! Will plays with and knows TONS of professional musicians and so does his dad.

• Misilin says:

I mean compare to the rest of the contestants that has had some special moments, tonight was his night and not everyone knows his father. I never heard of him or his family until the voice. He’s an underdog.

• Anna says:

+1 . . . can we drop the “underdog” label now? Please? :-)

• Mary says:

Ray, Will, Cole and Tessanne fall into the forgettable category for me. While last night was Will’s best, his screeching of those high notes was too much for me.

45. Susan says:

Will will win! He is fantastic!!!

• Davey says:

I don’t think Will will win but this show has been a good showcase for him.

• Susan says:

I love Will, but no, I don’t think he will win. I think Matthew will rebound after his performance last night, Christina will let him go back to who he really is, and he’ll take it all the way.

• Anna says:

I agree Matthew will rebound but here’s my confusion . . . who is he really? I got the impression from his early comments that he wants to sing indie rock. So wouldn’t last night be “who is really is?” Not trying to be snarky, truly just asking.

• Susan says:

Anna, a good question, perhaps better considered than my original comment…. at the time I was primarily thinking of the dancing and choreography which I think took away from Matthew’s performance rather than adding anything. That’s something he has no need for, at this stage of the game…. I think his voice and persona are engaging enough that if he just concentrates on communicating the song, it will be his to lose.

46. Titina says:

IMO Will was the best of the night! What a vocal! What a performance!
    So heartfelt and so awesome..

47. Jim says:

1. Will Champlin – He picked a song that was kind of out of left field, and he nailed it. He’s clearly gotten far more comfortable onstage than he was back at Top 20, and this was definitely one of his best vocals on the show to date.
    2. Tessanne Chin – Did Adam actually pick a fantastic song to complement Tessanne’s amazing voice? I think so!
    3. Jacquie Lee – Jacquie was definitely a mini-Xtina tonight! The song choice was definitely more pageant-y tonight, but she nailed every note (barring a few screamy notes in the mdidle and near the end). I hope Jacquie goes with something younger in the future in order to show pop relevance, as it is already very clear she can sing, but this was great and definitely redeemed her from last week.
    4. James Wolpert – It felt a little mimicky (not a word), versus James really trying to make it his own. But his voice is really solid, and he has impressed me in all of the live shows (well maybe not “Mr. Brightside”), despite the fact that I entered the live shows not feeling James at all.
    5. Caroline Pennell – There’s rarely anything vocally wrong with her performances, but this song wasn’t really a natural fit. I wish she’d change up a pop song, a la “As Long As You Love Me” from the Battle Rounds, as opposed to just singing songs as they are in her unique voice. It’s definitely an advantage to have a unique voice, but Caroline and Cee Lo still have to put in the work if she is going to make a run to the end for the end.
    6. Cole Vosbury – This was kind of sleepy – accordingly, we got Blake’s “dream look” that Cassadee Pope got during “Over You” a few seasons back – and just wasn’t memorable at all. Wasn’t really feeling this, and I’m a fan of Cole.
    7. Ray Boudreaux – He sang this well enough, but there’s something a little bit wooden about the way Ray performs. He sounds soulful, but it doesn’t really show onstage. This was an upbeat, entertaining song choice, but Ray’s onstage presence didn’t really reflect that. He also missed the microphone quite a bit.
    8. Matthew Schuler – Yikes. He won’t go home, but this was one of the most karaoke performances this season. Who would have thought Matthew would be the one to fall victim to one of these? Lots of pitch issues and inconsistency all around on a not-great song choice.

Note: “Lego House” (sung by Jacquie, Matthew, Caroline, and James) probably suited all of the involved singers, except for Jacquie, better than their respective solo song choices.

Predicted Bottom Three: Caroline, Matthew, and Ray
    America’s Save: Matthew

• Laura says:

I agree with almost everything that you said. This is a much more accurate review of last night’s show. Can/Do you do this every week? I personally would have swapped James and Tessanne, but I feel that’s more personal preference.

48. trickster88 says:

I am hoping that the next time I’ll go back to this page, Will’s performance will be an A+

49. Ashbash says:

iTunes Charts standings right now if anyone’s interested
    Everyone but Matthew is on the regular chart. Will is in the top twenty on the regular chart and number 11 on the pop chart. Jacquie lee and cole are on the pop chart too. Tessanne is NUMBER 1 on the reggae chart! Caroline is #5 on the alternative and Matthew is #14 (he finally made a chart). James (#1), Ray (#3), and cole (#5) are all on the rock chart. Not sure how each chart standing figures into voting but bottom 3 is looking like Ray, Matthew, and Tessanne :( I hope tessanne gets the twitter save

• LB says:

In what world is “At Last” a pop song? Who codes this stuff?

• LB says:

On a different note, I just noticed that Danielle Blandbery’s album is ranked #5 on iTunes. Not my taste, but whatever. Also, the cover of the album looks like the cover of a romance novel. The only thing missing is a shirtless Fabio.

50. WestCoastie says:

Caroline doesn’t deserve a B plus. She’s a wonderful singer but massacred one of my favorite songs. Honestly, didn’t even recognize it.

• Flygrrl40 says:

Ya, and by the look on her face, she’s well aware. :-(

• MC says:

I actually didn’t watch this one when the show was live. I checked it out on YouTube. The more you know of Dog Days Are Over (and it’s also one of my personal favorites), the less likely you are to find this version enjoyable. Caroline was definitely overwhelmed by the demands of this song. The back-up singers tried very hard to disguise Caroline’s limitations, but this was just awful.

• HTGR says:

It wasn’t like they did it or like Vicci Martinez did it, but if you are able to put those types of versions out of your head (and for this song I am although I understand if it’s a song for you where you feel it just has to have what the original had, I sometimes feel that way about some songs for whatever reason), then I actually thought it was quite Caroline and quite good and exactly what she needed (it sounds like she actually probably had finished outside of the bottom two, since it was tweeted that Matthew was the first true tweet save since he had been in the bottom two while Kat and Caroline the other two weeks had not been).