Sleepy Hollow Recap: The Roots of All Evil

Sleepy Hollow Season 1 RecapIt’s Thanksgiving in Sleepy Hollow, so let’s make like families everywhere and go around the table, saying what we’re grateful for. I’ll start.

I’m thankful for Ichabod Crane’s sea-glass eyes. I’m thankful for Abbie Mills’ no-BS, head-cocked way of viewing the absolute insanity her life has become. I’m thankful for “leftenant” and baked-goods-tax rants and NorthStar’s Yolanda. I’m thankful that no evil tree monster has ever decided to make me its bitch. And above all, I’m thankful that Moloch’s got no beef with my family… at least, none that I know of.

While you’re contemplating what to say thanks for at the start of this Turkey Day week, let’s go over what happened in “Sanctuary.”

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Sleepy HollowNashville, Supernatural and More

NOT LOVIN’ IT | In the episode’s opening moments, a trust-fund baby and her driver/bodyguard pull up to an abandoned estate. We learn that the colonial-era building once belonged to someone in her family, it’s one of the oldest homes in the area and that she recently purchased it. Then, she opens a closet inside the house, cuts her hand on some vines that have infiltrated the building and gets sucked into the evil shrubbery. Sit tight, rich chick. We’ll be back to you in a while.

Meanwhile, at the precinct, Ichabod clutches a fast-food bag and bemoans “the eradication of a thrice daily tradition” of sitting down to a proper meal. Also, “Despite this establishment’s nomenclature, this resembles no Scottish meal I’ve ever eaten.” (Heh.) Abbie listens good-naturedly, then remarks that cold McDonald’s French fries are probably the closest thing they’re going to get to a Thanksgiving meal… which then requires that she explain the traditional spread to her puzzled, then incensed partner. “The pilgrims didn’t have any sugar to make a sauce,” he cries, “let alone a pie!”

A few moments later, Ichabod apologizes for his peevishness. The holidays approach, you see, and “You’re alone,” Abbie intuits. He looks sheepish. “I mean no disrespect. Your company holds the greatest value to me,” he replies, and awwww. Still, without Katrina or anyone he loves nearby, Ichabod looks like a green bean casserole without a can’s worth of fried onions on top: incomplete and dejected.

RELATEDSpoiler Alert!: Scoop on Sleepy Hollow

HORROR SHOW | Just then, Abbie and Sadchabod are called into Capt. Irving’s office to investigate the disappearance of Lena Gilbert, the billionaire socialite we saw communing with nature against her will at the start of the show. Turns out, Lena is a descendant of Lachlan Fredericks, one of the founding fathers. She’d also dated George Clooney (“An Irishman?” Ichabod asks, in a silly throwaway line that made me laugh nonetheless), had been investigating the house’s history and had left a note about a “Katrina C” on her desk in New York City.

“One initial does not a connection make,” Abbie (rightly) says, but nonetheless, she and Ichabod speed off to Fredericks Manor. Ichabod recognizes the house as somewhere he and Katrina visited way back in the day. A flashback shows us Ichabod in an unbecoming hat, Katrina with a ‘do a drag queen would envy and the estate as a “safe haven” where everyone (including former slaves) were free and guaranteed Lachlan’s protection.

The pair make their way inside, where they find Lena’s bodyguard dead and his employer nowhere to be seen. Abbie realizes there’s no cell service, but when she tries to go outside, all of the doors slam shut of their own accord. “We’re in a damn haunted house,” Lt. Mills says as she and Ichabod exchange wild-eyed looks.

RELATEDSleepy Hollow Exclusive: Ichabod’s Clothes Are Finally Coming Off — But There’s a Twist!

MEET THE FAMILY | Let’s leave them for a moment and check in with Jenny, who’s returning some guns to Capt. Irving. She asks him over for a Thanksgiving dinner with her sister and Crane, he quips “We act like normal people for a change?”… Goodness gracious, are these two flirting? If so, it’s cut short by the arrival of his wife Cynthia and wheelchair-bound teen daughter Macey. Neither is happy that he’s been pretty MIA since taking the Sleepy Hollow gig, but Cynthia issues him an ultimatum: The next time he cancels plans with their daughter, she’s going to file for sole custody. (Side note: “What happened, happened.” Fill the comments with your take on Cynthia’s cryptic comment.)

CIGARS ALL AROUND! | Back at Casa Creepy, our witnesses spend a lot of time finding odd things (like Katrina’s copy of Gulliver’s Travels, with Ichabod’s “In case I die” letter in its pages, leading the pair to think the witch had, at some point after Ichabod’s burial, returned to the house) and having spooky run-ins (like when Abbie keeps seeing ghostly visions of Grace, the home’s African-American matron). There’s a lot of running around in the dark, flashlights bobbing, Abbie and Ichabod getting separated and the building groaning like Chewbacca on dollar-burrito night.

While Ichabod is finding and losing and re-finding Lena (and getting chased by an evil shrubbery doing Moloch’s bidding), Abbie follows Grace into a room where she has the mother of all visions: She watches a laboring Katrina deliver Ichabod’s son with Grace’s help. Then, a hellacious amount of birds slam into the windowpane with violent force. (OMG, did she give birth to Lost‘s Walt?)

When Crane and Mills reunite in the house, she gently tells him what she saw – including Lachlan, who was a member of Katrina’s coven, getting gored by the tree monster while Katrina and Grace beat their escape — but Ichabod has a lot of trouble processing it. “Abbie,” he says quietly, barely holding himself together, “what happened to my son? Please, I need to know.” (Tom Mison, ladies and gentlemen, dissolving me into an aching ball of goo once more.) But Abbie doesn’t have any more information.

RELATEDSleepy Hollow Courts Good Wife Judge for Multi-Episode Arc

MAKE LIKE A TREE… AND GET OUTTA HERE | Somehow, Ichabod and Abbie get Lena safely out of the house and away from the roots monster. (Side note: On behalf of the entire Roots family, I’d like to apologize for his truly uncouth behavior. Someone‘s not getting mentioned in the Christmas letter this year!)  Abbie wants to flee, but Ichabod grabs a hatchet from the trunk and turns to go back in. “That thing came after my son!” he tells his protesting partner, asking her not to follow him. I’m pretty surprised when she doesn’t.

So he goes inside, hacks away at the evil arbor and even quips as he finishes it off: “Give Moloch my regards.” He comes back outside, hair aflutter and covered in sap-blood, looking very much like Brad Pitt at a certain point in Legends of the Fall. “I should like to go home now,” he informs Abbie.

MISSED CONNECTIONS | Later, Abbie finds Ichabod in the archives and invites him to Thanksgiving. He says he’d be terrible company. She promises, “There will be rum,” which at least gets a smile out of him. She talks about hard Thanksgivings past, and he recalls his Oxford professor father and what he’d think of his son’s path. The takeaway: You see what you have now, and you embrace what’s in front of you. (Key word, Ich and Abs? EMBRACE.)

At that moment, a box of documents arrives from Lena in New York. The package includes the family tree of Grace Dixon, the ghostly woman who appeared to Abbie. And guess who’s on it? A woman named Lori Roberts – “my mother,” Abbie says with wonder. “My ancestor brought your son into this world.” (And, as you’ll recall from the episode where Team WTF had the Hessian tied up at Corbin’s cabin, Abbie’s first name is Grace. Hmmmm…)

Once the witnesses realize that their paths have been entwined for centuries, it seems like a good time to crack the seal on the rum, no? “To family,” Abbie says. “To finding family,” Ichabod adds as the episode comes to a close. (Side note: In my head, they finish those drinks and Abbie cajoles him into coming to dinner, most of which she spends explaining why perfectly sane people choose to stand in the cold in New York for hours to watch other perfectly sane people shepherd giant balloons around the city.)

Now it’s your turn. Were you surprised by the revelation that Ichabod is an Ichadad? Do you want more, or less, Katrina in your Hollow? Jenny and Irving: a thing? Hit the comments!

1. I hate characters like Irving’s ex. Any person (including the child’s other parent) who threatens to keep a child from their parent for reasons other than abuse or the parent being genuinely unfit (not just the ex not liking them or feeling like their not good enough, but really truely unfit) is the type of person that in real life I would refuse to associate with because I find them so disgusting. This is doubly true when the parent being threatened is a cop.

2. Morisot says:

That was a 12 gasps episode on the gasp-o-meter. I liked it.

3. CourtTV says:

Ms. Roots, you are shipping very hard. Ichabod is married!

• Rook says:

I think a lot of people are, but I think Abbie and Ichabod getting together would be a wrong move for the show.

• the girl says:

I completely agree. I love their chemistry, but a hook-up is completely unnecessary.

• Rosy says:

I disagree. These two people are more than alone. Why would you want to see them in so much emotional pain and not want them to find comfort somewhere? What’s happening to them would keep them permanently from emotionally bonding with anyone else in the world. They would be doing the same thing Katrina is doing to Ichabod, lying and keeping secrets. You can’t build a relationship on that. You can’t even develop trust with anyone else. They need each other and their bond is going to have to be tighter than two sheets of paper stuck with super glue. They will never be able to be with anyone else, ever. Thus who wouldn’t see that they need each other? Who can’t feel the loneness and fear and heartache that they both share and which can only be relieve by finding sanctuary with each other? Sometimes I think the problem is race. There’s no way anyone with a heart or soul can’t see that these two people wouldn’t be able to have a semblance of any kind of life with anyone else. Sometimes race really is just a matter of only skin deep.

• gem says:

WHY? WHY? WHY? When this issue comes up meaning “IR” then it becomes a huge problem. 2013 PPL COME ON STOP LIVING WITH YOUR HEADS STUCK IN THE SAND BC THE WORLD IS CHANGING AROUND YOU!

• Zak says:

I think its the wrong move because I like Ichabod with Katrina. Nothing to do with IR.

• Rosy says:

Ichabod is not “with” Katrina. She’s in purgatory hiding secrets and lying her butt off. Poor Ichabod is now trying to find a son “family” that his wife didn’t even tell him he had. He should be wondering what else she’s hiding. Abbie had to tell the man that he had a son not his wife? What kind of “with” is that?

• Gerald says:

What’s IR?

• For me this has nothing to do with IR and everything to do with shipping having destroyed way too many shows. Shows become all about the couple and everything else falls by the wayside.

• It’s not a problem because of IR, it’s a problem because the sexual tension is one driving force for the show. It’s like when you want something to happen SO badly and you obsess with it for a long time, but then when it finally happens, you stop being excited about it anymore.

It happened with Bones when Bones and Booth finally got together, and it will happen to this show if Ichabod and Abbie get together. And if it must happen, I hope that it doesn’t happen this soon. Like I said, the tension — the possibility — is what we like about Ichabod and Abbie’s relationship. The minute it happens, we’ll all be bored with it.

• Bardvahalla says:

Technically, Ichabod is a widower.

• Rosy says:

Exactly! Marriage is a legal status and doesn’t apply once one of the partners is now in netherworld. But he is still emotionally connected to her and I’m sure it’s hard to grieve and heal with her sending messages through visions and showing up at odd times of the day.

4. IMember says:

I’d watch an episode dedicated to that Thanksgiving dinner. That’s how obsessed I’ve become with this show. Great episode tonight. Two weeks till the next one though. Nooooo!

5. Alichat says:

Love the recap! And this….”(Side note: In my head, they finish those drinks and Abbie cajoles him into coming to dinner, most of which she spends explaining why perfectly sane people choose to stand in the cold in New York for hours to watch other perfectly sane people shepherd giant balloons around the city.)”…..I was really hoping to see this moment on screen. I would also like to know that Ichabod returned to the house, burned a big pyre of Moloch’s rooty minion, and gathered Katrina’s book and his letter. I know we won’t see it, but, in my head, it happened.

Oh…and “Chewbacca on dollar burrito night” had me howling with laughter.

6. Did anyone else expect the socialite to turn out to be the descent of Ichabod’s child?

• GeoDiva says:

I thought that the baby was thought to be Lochlan’s child and became a Frederick and therefore the girl was his great great great, etc… Grandaughter. She even looked like Katrina somewhat.

7. the girl says:

Who was that playing Lena, because good lord she looked like Katrina.

8. I was surprised but I had wondered previously if he had any heirs and if Abbie and Ichabod were connected in anyway, thinking that might deepen the story even more. And it definitely has. I can’t wait to see how this will all play out in the coming episodes.

9. other than the living tree monster, i thought this was the best episode yet!! ichabod has a son…. did not see that coming, and the crows smashing against the windows, nice touch

10. TVPeong says:

Do you think Lena is the Ichabod and Katrina’s descendant? The tree monster only really seemed to go after her and not Ichabod or Abbie. Maybe they gave the son the Douglas’s name to protect him.

• TVPeong says:

Oops the Fredericks name

• uh huh says:

Maybe. The tree monster was after Ichabod’s baby, and then it was after Lena. What’s the connection between the two?

• uh huh says:

Rewatching the episode. Abbie just said “If someone or something had it out for Lachlan, maybe they had it out for Lena, too.”–because they are related. But now we know that the tree demon had it out for Baby Crane, not Lachlan. So if Abbie’s logic is good (remains to be seen), then yes, they are related.

11. FatherOctavian says:

I’m kind of wondering if Irving and/or Macey is Ichabod’s descendant. Amandla Stenberg is a pretty major get for a daughter character that just shows up for a scene or two every few episodes. There’s got to be a mythological reason they’re introducing her now.

12. Babybop says:

I’m guessing Lena is Icahbod’s great great great great (or however many greats needed) grand daughter… I mean… She looked JUST like Katrina, no?

Loved the episode, love the recap. Calling him “Sadchabod” may be the greatest thing I’ve ever read. Ha ha.

13. uh huh says:

I’ve been figuring on Crane progeny since that baby was crying in Abbie’s vision with Katrina. Not to mention that the song on the radio when Abbie HAD that vision was “God Bless the Child” by Billie Holliday. There are no coincidences on this show, so I immediately figured Katrina had been pregnant when he died.

• Alichat says:

I figured there would be a baby too, but I thought it would be a baby that they lost prior to his death. A plot point to reveal in flashback and strengthen the Ichabod/Katrina story.

• Cate Amos says:

Totally agree. There is no telling when Katrina had the baby. Ichabod is so emotionally invested in his past life, that he might not make the logical explanation that Katrina was in the very early stages of pregnancy when he died. His dismay about not being told of her condition sets up a possibility that he will doubt the veracity of future visions of her.

14. Barb says:

Another great episode and I just gotta say I loved the recap with the side notes just as much. Amazing how when I first saw the promo for the show had no interest in it at all. Now it’s must watch TV.

15. Jenna says:

Great recap. Great episode.
    Somehow the writers manage to include touching moments with outrageous ones; plus, some of the usual Ichabod wit.
    Didn’t see the baby plot coming, or the birth connection to Abbie. Pretty ingenious, really. Love the show. Every episode is loaded with action and surprising reveals, and always leaves me wanting more.

16. Mikaela says:

Kim Roots, your recaps are such a delight to read.

• Anon says:

Word.

Towards the end, I preferred reading Kim Root’s recap than actually watch Dexter. Loved “Casa Creepy” and Lost reference.

17. Ramona says:

I knew there would be a baby! If you recall the episode where Katrina visits Abbie and they’re in the Crane house, there was a baby cradle. Then I knew. It was supposed to be a vision of the house they would have shared. Tonight’s show was incredible and blew my mind!!

18. Linda says:

Less Katrina

19. Ian says:

The larger part of me will always want something romantic to develop between Ichabod and Abbie, but I have to agree that there’s no way of getting around that it wouldn’t be right. Ichabod and Katrina are practically holy in their love. I just ask that Katrina never take away from the leads’ relationship, and I adore Abbie and want her to be happy too and have some epic love story of her own, so they need to not let her love life be a side note but be a part of the bigger mythology and stakes of the show.

And about Lena possibly being Ichabod’s descendant, I think she could be too, because if she was meant to be a direct descendant of Lachlan’s, I don’t think that’s possible, because it didn’t seem to me that he could’ve had any children. I wouldn’t be surprised either if he and Abbie’s ancestor Grace had something going on too. But I doubt that’s the last we’ve seen of Lena.

• Rosy says:

“Ichabod and Katrina are practically holy in their love” – Really? How can you have a “holy” love AND keep secrets as huge as “having a son together”? What man would be happy with that? What kind of love can you have when you didn’t even know your wife was a witch especially during a time when witches were being burnt at the stake? What man would be still in love with someone that could be risking his life too and not telling him? What kind of relationship can you have when your wife won’t even tell you why she’s stuck in between worlds and being punished by a major demon? How can you even feel that you are in a love together when you don’t even know who your wife is and what she’s capable of doing, good or bad? For me it’s hard to believe that anyone can have love at all when it’s not even based on truth and honesty? I don’t want to sound like I’m shipping anyone for dis-shipping (if that means sense) but for me I can’t see lying to my husband over and over again and expect him to just accept it and we still have a marriage let alone even a friendship.

• Nicole says:

I’m assuming Ichabod was already dead, as Katrina said she didn’t want to do it without him, and as for why she didn’t tell him, there seemed to be bigger issues at hand during the brief times they met up in purgatory. I’m sure she would’ve told him when she had the chance. Also what difference would it make now? Would he walk up to his descendent and say “Hey, I’m you’re long lost great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather. I was put under a spell that kept me from dying 200 years ago.” The only way that would work is if his descendent is a witch and aware of the curse put on him.

20. Penn says:

I find Katrina to be really boring and I would rather not see any more of her than we’ve seen in previous episodes. Abbie is a fascinating character and her interactions with Ichabod make me hope there is some way they can be together. Even if Abbie has to wait for a look-alike descendant!

21. Ken says:

thats it? end just like that? it doesnt say anything about the son, let alone telling us, is that Lena a descendant of that son or else? WTF man, disappointing.

22. b says:

I was thinking this would be a filler episode. Boy, was I wrong. The main reason for this thought was the promo. It reminded me of BTVS’ Where The Wild Things Are. It was the vines. Anyways, I like Katrina. I’m torn on Ichabbie. I also think Jenny and Irving will become a thing, there is/was a reason for introducing Irving’s daughter, and Lena may just be a Crane descendant.

23. b says:

Btw, I wanted to see Team WTF’s Thanksgiving dinner!

24. sladewilson says:

Kimberly, your recaps are awesome (now if we can just convince you to recap “The Blacklist” all would be right in the world). As for the episode, one – I don’t want Ichabod and Abbie as a couple – they make the best partners on TV today. A romance would ruin it. Besides, if they can find a way to get Katrina back to the land of the living, it will ruin their partnership and friendship. I do want Jenny and Frank together – they’re hot and I’d pay to see their dinner talk (HA!). I wanted to see a Team WTF Thanksgiving dinner too, dang it!!! As for “What happened, happened” – I’m thinking that in some way, Frank is responsible for Macey being in that chair…

• Katherine215 says:

I really really wish TVLine was recapping The Blacklist! Who do we need to beg to get that to happen? I’m torn on the Abbie/Ichabod/Katrina triangle, as I like him with both women in different ways. I really am liking Irving and Jenny though. Hope they pursue that chemistry.

• clearhaven says:

Yeah..I got the same idea too about Frank being responsible for his daughter being on the wheel chair. As much as I would love Abbie and Ichabod to get together, It would be cool if they don’t. Our favorite characters must not always hook up all the time

25. sladewilson says:

Oh yeah, and Nicole Beharie is ridiculously fine.

26. La\ says:

I loved the episode as well. Did not see a son for Ichabod coming, but what a great continuation of the original story. This series is just awesome. I would love to see Abbie and Ichabod together, but I understand that the way Ichabod’s relationship with Katrina has been set up that he and Abbie probably won’t be more than awesome partners. It’s just the chemistry between the actors is amazing.And how about Irving and Jennie? I was really digging their casual flirting. This story is branching out and I’m interested in seeing how Irving’s daughter and wife (hey, Toni Childs!) are incorporated. Great episode.

27. Heidi says:

Best line in Kim’s recap: “Ichabod looks like a green bean casserole without a can’s worth of fried onions on top: incomplete and dejected.” Priceless.

28. Moo says:

This recap was stellar. Don’t even watch the show and I found this hilarious. Well done KimboRoots

29. Liz says:

I hope it ends up that Ichabod and Abbie are related. They have that great Emily/Nolan kind of relationship, super close, but not romantic. Ichabod is all kind of hot, especially when his hair was hanging loose at the end.

• the girl says:

I was kind of hoping this too. I really don’t want to explore the possibility of romance between them, because I think sometimes people can work well together and have great chemistry without needing to hook up. Plus, I don’t see Ichabod being able to move into a new relationship on that level until things are resolved with Katrina, and I don’t see that happening until close to when the show ends.

• clearhaven says:

I know right! As much as I think Ichabbie is cute, there musn’t always be a hook up between characters!. If they can achieve that, this show would really stand out. Hmm…now that you’ve mentioned it, they could be related *nodding* Boy, that would break alot of hearts lol

30. Tori says:

I love the show and this episode for the reveal of the connection to Abbie’s and Crane’s family history.I do have to say I am annoyed by a small part of this episode when Crane calls Frederick a Warlock. What information I have learned over the years, both males and females are called Witches; only if a Witch breaks a oath with their coven or circle are then called Warlocks, which means oath breaker. Sleepy hollow is not the only supernatural show who has made this error and it always burns me when I see it done on a show I enjoy watching. I guess to the general public, people need a difference between male and female Witches.

31. mandy says:

“Roots” okay. I get it LOL
    Such a great episode and a phenomenal recap.
    I’m not a shipper, but I’m okay with a Jenny/Irving storyline. As for Ichabbie, I’m good with a nonromantic relationship. Ichabod and Katrina have an ethereal love that transcends time. I’m good with that.

32. Bardvahalla says:

Wait…. you can buy canned fried onions?
    WHERE!!!!

Great recap.
    :-)

33. maliu808 says:

Great recap! Loved this episode & love the exchanges btwn Ichabod & Abbie. I think their friendship is extraordinary in today’s TV landscape & am in no rush for a romance to develop. Was Irving’s wife the same actress who played Toni in Girlfriends? I almost didn’t recognize her as she seems to have changed something…

• the girl says:

That’s her, Jill Marie Jones. I don’t think she’s had work done, but that’s certainly possible. She looked the same to me (albeit older).

34. sarah says:

ichy and irving are awesome and i’m kinda liking jenny more and more just wish john cho was a regular on the show then it would be perfect. as for katrina i’m not bothered by her character don’t care if she lives or dies

35. renyolds says:

I love crane line about the billion dollars

36. Tinemi says:

Ichabod finishing off the tree monster and shouting “You think you could’ve attacked those I love without consequence?!”… that’s when I totally loved him. The guy can be smart and serious, even romantic, but untill now I didn’t believe he could be such a bad-ass fighter.

37. Paul says:

What brand rum was that?

38. Lisa London says:

Great episode. Am I the only one who did a double take when they mentioned ‘Lena Gilbert’ and the ‘Founding Fathers’ and thought of TVD’s ‘Elena Gilbert’ and the ‘Founding Families’? Thought I stumbled into the wrong show there for a second. :-)

39. jenferner8 says:

Really surprised by the actual chemistry between Jenny and Irving, but I liked it. Hope to see more of them. I love the passion Ichabod clearly has for his wife. And I LOVED seeing the rage with which he attacked that tree monster! The lesson is clear, do not screw with Ichabod’s family! Also, I’m never going to be able to look at “french fries” the same.

40. Just sayin says:

Ichadad. Greatness. Awesome recap. Not getting all the Katrina hate…let it play out.

• clearhaven says:

Me neither! Katrina’s not so bad. She’s really nice and has done most of the things she’s done out of love. It wouldn’t be surprising, however, if the writers of the show try to develop her character into something other it is now to change our mindsets. We’ll just have to wait and see. #teamIchabbie #teamIcharina #TeamIdc lol

41. Singing_gal says:

“Perhaps more treasures from the Amazon?” priceless!!!

42. dianeost says:

OK . . . do we know for sure Katrina’s baby is Ichabod’s? He did not know she is a witch, so he would not necessarily know if she was stepping out on him. (Just saying.)

43. Elliot says:

WAY less Katrina. And ixnay on making her a saint cos she had a baby. I gotta say it, if Ichabbie were the same race, there’d be less “they should stay friends”. Which is stupid and embarrassing.

I love Abbie and Ichabod as a couple, and am looking forward to Katrina’s exit.

Loved it when Abbie called him Mulder!
    The shrubbery was scary until it uprooted and wasn’t just glimpsed out of the corner of the eye… then it was funny.

44. Marizza says:

I’m supporting the whole tension between Abbie and Ichabod, but honestly, this episode(besides being the only one to actually scare me) is the one that made me ship Frank and Jenny. You have to admit, there is a spark there.
    And while i dont HATE Kathrina, I do wish she’ll stay in purgatory.

45. Cate Amos says:

For those of you shipping Ichabbie, please keep in mind Ichabod’s reaction to the statement about Jefferson fathering children with Sally Hemmings. He is a child of the 18th century and interracial relationships just weren’t as accepted as they are today. It would be against his nature to just hop in the sack with Abbie because of the world in which he lived. Psychological barriers like that are hard to overcome, and I don’t see that happening any time soon.
    I really love the education he is receiving at Abbie’s hands about 21st century life, and his telling of the way things really were. Although during the Thanksgiving discussion, I couldn’t help but wonder how he would respond to the idea of Festivus.

• EniO says:

His reaction had more to do with his refusal to believe that he would be unfaithful to his wife and not that he was being unfaithful with a black woman. He was finally able to accept that he was wrong about his character when Abbie showed him the newspaper quote attributed to Jefferson that he had actually said to him.