Ratings: The Mentalist Eyes an 11-Month High, AMAs Surge to 4-Year Highs, Sad Family Guy Up

Ratings Mentalist Red John RevealedABC’s broadcast of the American Music Awards on Sunday night drew 13 million total viewers and a 4.5 demo rating, surging 37 and 32 percent year-over-year to deliver the kudocast’s best numbers in four years and dominate all non-sports competition.

Of said sports competition, NBC Sunday Night Football‘s Broncos-Pats match-up, per prelim numbers, did 24 mil and an 8.8, down a smidgen from last week’s Chiefs-Broncos game.

PHOTOS | American Music Awards: The Best, Worst and Most Head-Scratching Moments

Over on CBS, The Mentalist‘s much-touted Red John face-off was watched by 10.6 million total viewers — the show’s biggest audience since Jan. 6 — while in the demo it ticked up a tenth to a 1.5. Opening the Eye’s night, The Amazing Race (8 mil/1.5) dropped sharply but The Good Wife (9.5 mil/1.3) inched down just a tenth. (All CBS numbers are subject to tweaking, due to a staggered start in a few markets.)

RELATED | Is The Mentalist‘s Red John Saga Truly Over? And 7 More Burning Qs Answered

Turning to Fox’s ‘toon line-up, The Simpsons (6.7 mil/2.9) and Bob’s Burgers (4 mil/1.9) both surged from their last regularly scheduled outings, while a surprisingly tragic episode of Family Guy (4.5 mil/2.2) and American Dad (3.8 mil/1.8) each grew two tenths.

1. DenverDean says:

Can’t believe there hasn’t been a story on TFG and the game-changing death. Even though they said they were going to kill someone off this summer, most thought it was a joke.

2. enri says:

Yeah the mentalist! Ready for some happier moments.

3. J.Norman says:

Spoiler alert. Spoiler alert

For Family Guy.

I sincerely doubt that Brian is actually dead. At least the Brian in “our” universe.

Remember that they came back to the “present’ by means of an alternate universe Stewies time machine.. . not “our” Stewies time machine.

I think this fact will be revisited and used to bring Brian “back” to life. . .if he was ever really dead in the first place.
    Seth MCFarlane likes to fool around with these timeline episodes.

• Chris says:

I actually thought they got the character death out of the way when in “A fistful of Meg” she said she dies a year later and Quagmire said “she’s going to be around for a long time”. Just a red herring, I guess.

4. JulieAnne says:

Matt, any chance you have the DVR ratings for the past week (November 18-24)?

5. Jo says:

Still pretty low for the Mentalist, although I suppose it was hurt by CBS revealing the killer in the promo. Oh, and tweeting out a picture of the killer. Oh and accidentally putting the entire episode online Thursday. Well done, CBS!

6. Britt says:

i watched the AMAs, The Good Wife, and The Amazing Race. The AMAs were boring, The Good Wife wasn’t that good (Jason O’Mara’s character was kind of annoying), and The Afghanimals bug me too. Not the greatest tv night for me. Now I’m going to go watch Witches of East End and Masters of Sex.

7. Cathy says:

I have to say, I really hated The Mentalist’s Red John reveal. It didn’t make sense to me, and it just seemed all over the place. Xander Berkeley’s character did not seem to be someone who had the charisma to carry off such elaborate plans. I’m not blaming the actor on that, rather that it was a poorly planned out story line. I also didn’t get the impression from the interview that Heller and Baker were on the same page regarding the story line at this point, or regarding the characters.

And I also have to say, poor Brian!