Dancing With the Stars Season 17 Finals (Night 1): Did The Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS-Season-17-Corbin-Karina-FreestyleThough Season 17 of Dancing With The Stars may ultimately be remembered for its long list of stunning upsets (welcome to the finals, Bill Engvall!), the two-part finale still seemed destined (dare I say it?) to come down to a super-sized Mirrorball dance-off between the competition’s strongest remaining celebs: Amber Riley and Corbin Bleu.

PHOTOS | American Music Awards 2013: Best, Worst and Most Head-Scratching Moments

Along with a judges’ pick, samba relay and the always crucial, all-or-nothing (and special effects-laden) freestyle dances, Monday night’s show also showcased the exuberant return of Season 16 Mirrorball champ Kellie Pickler – this time exercising her impressive vocals (performing her new country hit “Little Bit Gypsy”) rather than her dancing shoes. All that, and the return of legendary ’90s “No Scrubs” hip-hop group TLC. (Wait, wasn’t Sunday night’s tepid AMAs performance more than enough?)

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Grey’s, S.H.I.E.L.D., NCIS, DWTS, Almost Human and More!

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Corbin’s sizzling samba (“That wasn’t a samba, it was a whamba!” enthused Len) was tops in the relay (earning him 5 bonus points), while Jack Osbourne’s freestyle was a true showstopper, with his trio of perfect 10s reducing him to tears. On top of that, Bill finally ripped off his shirt and went shirtless (take that, Corbin!). But here’s the top dance of the finale:

Corbin Bleu & Karina Smirnoff: Holy Michael Jackson! Corbin’s “Smooth Criminal”-inspired freestyle had everything – a helicopter-style, upside-down entrance and eye-popping visuals (Corbin totally rocked the gravity boots), all packaged with what Bruno called “pure Las Vegas magic.” What else can you say when a speechless Len actually stands up, smiles, and — without further comment – leads the crowd in a standing ovation? This electrifying performance thoroughly energized the ballroom and scored the second perfect 30 of the night. Where’s the ‘11’ paddle?

RUNNER-UP: Amber Riley & Derek Hough: After a first round of anti-climactic and nerve-riddled judges’ pick dances, Amber’s flawless, thrilling return to the Charleston really hit the jackpot, earning a trio of 10s from the delighted – and clearly relieved — judges. “I am so proud of you… you completely outdid yourself,” gushed Carrie Ann Inaba (who left the judges’ table to give Amber a big hug), while birthday boy Bruno Tonioli gushed over her vastly improved footwork. “It was as sharp as a razor blade tonight. Brilliant!” That said, because Amber’s dazzling freestyle was equally perfect – even with 6 (!) pro dancers, she utterly dominated the dance floor – let’s call it a perfect draw.

But now for the moment of truth, tonight’s results:

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Bill Engvall & Emma Slater
Jack Osbourne & Cheryl Burke

ELIMINATED
Bill Engvall & Emma Slater

“Well, it just goes to prove to me that there is a God, ’cause I don’t think I could make one more dance,” joked Engvall, who thanked Emma and called her a “second daughter” to him before summing up his DWTS journey in style: “This has been a lifetime experience, I will never forget this.”

Now it’s your turn. Did the right couple go home tonight? Who will win Season 17? Who should win? Take our polls below, then off in the comments!

1. Angela says:

No complaints at all with the results tonight. I respect Bill, he was fun and seems like a decent guy, he had a couple dances I particularly enjoyed, all that good stuff. But the final three choices just make sense. Tomorrow night is going to be very exciting-any one of them has a shot. I’m crap at predictions, but it’d be fun to see a Corbin/Jack showdown.
    That said, Amber and Derek’s freestyle tonight? WHOA. That was incredible. I loved that dance.

• Diane Gonzales says:

Corbin and Karina are the best dancers and deserve to win. Early in the show a lot of really good dancers left which was unfair. I can’t believe Jack and Amber are still on the show they are awful. This may be the last DWTS I watch. I have watched from the beginning . Go Corbin and Karina

• Corbin & Karina ARE the best dancers, and they do NOT deserve to win. Two pros against the rest of the field is a totally unfair advantage and contrary to what the show is supposed to be about. A Jack/Amber final is the best way to keep the show what it’s supposed to be.

• Tiare says:

Except that Jack is not a star and can’t dance and Amber has as much training as Corbin – she is just too fat to dance well and is not pleasing to watch because of her weight.,

• Karen Dyke says:

WTF?? To fat to dance? If that was so she would not be this far in the race. Go home with your HATE. That girl danced her ass off.

• bill says:

they had to go to las vegas to get there idea……the other pros came up with there own..

• Patty says:

Well it’s a popularity show you know? Doesn’t matter if you can dance. Just have to have & know people to vote for you

2. Tim says:

lets face it, NO other result was possible tonight, the glaring difference in Bill vs. the rest was too much… its a toss up between Corbin and Amber, clearly…

3. TheFactsR says:

WELL disappointment this season BIG TIME

Derek has won 4 times so I don’t believe D W T S will LET Derek have a 5th

KS is not a classy female…….I can not call her what she really is on the streets of La on this blog so I will just say I hate the woman

Cheryl DITTO to Karina

SOME people say it is NOT about the PRO but IT IS about the pro they are half the team

DWTS demo fell to 1.7 a new SHOW RUNNER is needed to save DWTS are they are going to hell in a hand basket

Conrad Green can’t seem to grasp that people dislike Karina Cheryl and Derek winning too much is boring.

So either a low class female pro or Derek

So tire of the poorly produced show

I love the concept hate the “show runner”

• Sara says:

You…are not a nice person. What right do you have to call Cheryl or Karina “low class”? That is insanely rude. You don’t know them, and even if you did, why say something like that? It makes YOU look “low class”. I certainly hope this isn’t a race thing, but I somehow feel like it is. Cheryl is clean cut and beautiful who had a really horrible thing happen to her when she was a child. I’m not a fan of Karina, but I in no way will be so hasty to make such a rude judgment of her. I agree that the pros are important – I personally care about the pros more than the celebs these days. But honestly…this is a very careless comment. I’m tired of Derek winning, I don’t mind Karina or Cheryl getting to the finals as much because they don’t always win, but I’ll admit, I’m tired of Derek winning and he drives me crazy. But seriously. Your remarks are downright hateful..

• TheFactsR says:

There are pictures and that is ALL I will say.

I am a very nice church Christian something they are most def NOT! You wear blinders!

I don’t care what you mind!
        Maybe you are just like Cheryl and Karina. HeHeHe

• Tim says:

why is it that ‘very nice Christian church’ goers are so often the MOST judgmental people of ALL? it’s SO hypocritical to everything church is SUPPOSED to be about, and yet, every time, here we go … you sit in superiority over those sinners lol — mercy me, wake up!

• Sara says:

I’d rather be like Cheryl and Karina rather than you, dear. At least the sport they participate in doesn’t include in belittling people and criticizing how others live their lives.

• Katie says:

Judge lest ye be judged buddy.

• Tim says:

amen, Kate! funny how those good church going Christians delibately ignore Jesus’ own words ..

• TheFactsR says:

I would be my virtue up against Cheryall and Karina any and every day of the year and win. When you are a Christian you are just not worried about it because you know where you stand with God and that is ALL that matters.

My virtue would embarrass both Cherall nd Kartarina.

• Angela says:

I think you really need to get out more often.

• CA says:

The Facts R — you take pride in being a bully and do so by posting under an anonymous name. I suspect you do so just to get a rise out of readers. You’ve passed judgement on people that you don’t even know, based on “pictures” that you have decided to say show a “truth” you’ve decided to believe; and then claim others have blinders. Your hypocrisy is evident. Just go away. Karma will came back in ten fold every time.

• Jesse says:

• broncfanwa says:

“Very Nice church Christian” people always seem to forget the part about “judge not lest ye be judged” don’t they?

• Tim says:

this is the internet, where people go to rant and feel superior for a few seconds lol … of course he doesnt know Cheryl at all, its another fantasy projected from the safety of one’s couch… that said, I DO view Derek to be totally full of himself to a hilarious degree, but isnt he supposed to be the coolest, hottest guy and play that game for the viewers?

• Jesse says:

Dear TheFactsR: As a Christian myself, it’s a pity to see a servant of God use this outlet to spread judgment and hate. You missed an opportunity to take the high road and minister to those reading the comment section by spewing such negative remarks. This is not the forum to preach your outlandish criticism of folks you have probably never even met in person. Set an example. There are those reading this that probably need spiritual guidance but are now turned off by your stereotypical rant. You are not a Christian. You’re a blind copycat in need of peace and love. Just because you believe in the Lord doesn’t make you a Christian. A Christian is full of love. When we see something we deem isn’t right with God, we simply leave it in God’s hands and pray. The right kinds of Christian’s don’t go out saying we hate people. We love our brothers and sisters and pray for their souls no matter what.

• chistosa says:

Sara, you do know that Derek has only won 4 of out of the 15 seasons he has danced? Cheryl has won twice.

• Sara says:

I’m very aware of the statistics, yes. This is the 12th season he’s been a pro. He’s ‘only’ won 4 times (soon to be 5), been twice he’s been in the final 3 and didn’t win. So that makes 7 seasons. 3 other times he’s been top 4. That makes 10 seasons. The worst he’s done is 6th place and that was 2nd season he was on. The last EIGHT seasons he’s been on, he’s placed 1, 2, 3 or 4.

• Whitney says:

People, I’m a Christian, but don’t put me in the same category as this hypocrite. This person is proving to be no better than a bully, and clearly going against God’s teachings. Real people of God don’t judge, put down or bully others. Whoever you are, I’ll be praying for your soul.

• Jake says:

The reason the demos have fallen is because of the voice and it still is the number one reality show beating the voice by millions. You’re just sore because bill was booted off

• Jesse says:

• chistosa says:

I’m unsure why you post week after week about a show you claim to dislike. Your instant judgments about people you most likely have never met is a good example of how small minds are overly influenced by pop culture and tabloids.
      Perhaps you should spend less time reading tabloids, watching reality tv and judging based on nothing and get out there and do something worthwhile. Serve food at a soup kitchen, get to know people and learn that nothing is as it seems. I am sorry for you that you see nothing but hate. What a sad existence.

4. Tim says:

this isnt about the pros, its about the celebs, i barely pay attention to the pros … does anyone care which pro wins?

• TheFactsR says:

I knew somebody would say that so I already addressed it! IT IS VERY MUCH ABOUT THE PROS!

• Andrew says:

A lot of people, including me. As a big fan of a lot of the pros, I’d love to see someone else win besides Derek all the friggin’ time. Don’t get me wrong, super talented guy, seems really nice. But others work their butts off. I mean, Val Chmerkovskiy has been improving every single season? And his brother Maks NEVER won. That’s just insane considering they, combined, have been on almost every season.

• TheFactsR says:

YES Andrew my point too. Very good observation and great knowledge of DWTS fans.

Andrew is a smart DWTS viewer!

• Tim says:

‘great knowledge’ because he agrees with you? wow, youre on an ivory tower of greatness, arent you? im sure Andrew is smart, however, i think its OK if we disagree, life WILL go on …

• TheFactsR says:

Chelsie Hightower too worked her butt off never got good partners never won either. Dmitry Chaplin too all great never won. DWTS lost them due to it also.

• Danna says:

Are you saying Derek doesn’t work as hard? Why should Val and Maks win, just because they haven’t won before? Would you say to your favorite football team to stop wining and let others have the trophy? They had good partners but they don t have the quality of entertainment that Derek has and Maks can’t choreograph freestyle. No matter how much people complain (I am not refering to you) that Derek is favored they are delusional if they think either Tony, Maks or Val would have won with any of Derek’s old partners. I too like other pros, especially the new ones and I have no problem with them wining when and if they come up with good rutines. I don’t think they should win just bc they haven’t won before, we had that fiasco when Tony won. IMO some pros just don’t get this show, it is not ab the best technical dancer, it is ab the whole package.

• SM says:

The reason Derek continues to win is he is the best choreographer on the show. He knows how to hide his celeb’s weakness and show-off their talents. He makes it about the celeb – not him. For years, people have said he always gets the tiny, athletic dancers. Well, this year he got the “plus-size” singer and here they are in the finals. If Amber had been paired with anyone else, she wouldn’t have made it this far.

• Angela says:

There are some pros I’ve always liked and enjoyed rooting for. It is fun to see which celebrities show up each season, certainly, and I’ve liked quite a few of them as well-it makes sense the focus would be on them. But the pros do have their fanbases as well.

5. TheFactsR says:

So friggin bored of he JACKSON family I turned it off while that dance was on DWTS my TV.

Cheryl Burke steal her choreography from Dmitry Chaplin, if she wins the MBT belongs to Dmitry.

Karina steals her choreography from a friend of mine.

I also am told by others that Derek steals choreography off the internet from Championships dance contest.

No one actually is doing their own work, in college and schools you would be expelled for cheating.

DWTS is a disappointing show. I stopped watching then returned for Julianne and Maks to judge and again Hate that I returned to watch.

No reason to let a TV show upset your emotions this way when it is the same ole crap season after season.

New Show Runner needed

• Chris says:

Wow you are such a liar! Stop watching and commenting on the show if it bothers you that much and leave the rest of us who love the show to enjoy the best finale in years!

• Sara says:

I understand how you feel. I was heartbroken when Vince Gilligan stole my idea for Breaking Bad

6. Sara says:

Thank goodness. I admire his spirit, but he had to go. The judges consistently over-scored him which is half the reason why he stayed longer than others. His first dance got 24. Jack was way better. He might have been ‘off’, but it was still miles ahead of Bill and yet they got the same score? Really? No. Rooting for Corbin & Karina. TBH, I really don’t want Derek and Amber to win, but we all know they will. But from a technical standpoint, I think Corbin is the best and should take it.

• Lena says:

This is a season where if Amber wins she didn’t have the best freestyle! I guess it doesn’t matter.

• Sara says:

Yeah. I mean it was definitely good! But *shrug* From a technical standpoint, I just don’t think she’s as good as Corbin. The judges are right about her personality commanding the whole room – but I feel that makes them sometimes overscore her because her personality is so big and boisterous, you know? They’re very hard on Corbin as opposed to others. It’s obvious Derek & Amber will win though. They both have extraordinary fanbases…:/

• Danna says:

I disagree. I loved Amber’s freestyle,the whole thing was great and original and insanely in sync. Corbin is a good dancer, but that freestyle was nothing new. It was like watching a MJ video, nothing we never seen before.

• Sara says:

I’m not saying it wasn’t good. It was! I liked this freestyle more than most of Derek’s in the past. I just meant that she gets overscored other times. I didn’t mean tonight. Just in general. Most people who have been on the show can’t do MJ as well as Corbin. But either way. I guess it’s simply a matter of personal preference. *Most*, not all, but most of Derek’s choreography just isn’t for me. I’ve always been more partial to the routines Val, Maks, Cheryl, and Peta come up with.

7. TheFactsR says:

JUST KEEP WATCHING

“DWTS Karina, Cheryl, and Derek edition”

8. Ginger Snap says:

Bill hung around about 2 weeks too long.
    Go Amber!

9. Katie says:

I don’t care if Cheryl and Derek are left fact is Amber and Corbin (and Jack has gotten much better) deserve to be there so everyone saying “its all about the pro’s” can just deal with the fact that the pros have good dancers to go right along with them. LBR Corbin is trained and Amber has/had Glee sure they didn’t do much dancing on that show after season one, actually the choreography has sucked for seasons now but she’s used to the grueling hours of training.

10. Tim says:

My virtue would embarrass both Cherall nd Kartarina.
    Comment by TheFactsR

NO, your judgmental, arrogant heart would embarrass Jesus! you really believe youre ‘virtuous’, with that cold hearted attitude? ah, denial, its powerful isnt it?

• TheFactsR says:

I sleep in my own bed with the same person for 15 years. So I think I know I never am drunk on the streets of LA jumping into bed with anyone and everyone in LA.

Good night Tim sleep well.

• Sara says:

You’re a sad person. Are you a woman? Because if so, you’re a sorry excuse, to be ‘slut shaming’ other women. It isn’t your concern what other women choose to do. Virtue doesn’t have a damn thing to do with this. Your virtue is your own and that’s great, but it is not okay to judge others for their actions. You might be Christian, but that doesn’t make you God.

• Tim says:

and you are also judgmental, prone to be mean to people, arrogant and unkind … do you think those dont count in life? unbelievable … whats in your heart is AS important as the rest, u might wanna wake up to that

• Didi says:

And even if they were doing what you claim they are doing.. it would still be none of your business.
        I get it, it makes you feel better about your own sad little existence to point fingers at others, but come on, who the heck do you think you are to judge others?

11. Jacqi says:

Derek proved this season no matter who he gets he can make anyone a dancer. I do not Karina so I hope she doesn’t win. Voted for Amber all season, but I would be okay with a Jack win as well.

12. debbie says:

so glad bills out of the picture as for the winnwr thats easy
    amber and derek

13. Larry says:

I don’t care to watch pro dancers. The only couple that was entertaining was Bill & Emma and now that they are gone, its going to be who’s the best pro dancer. The news will be more entertaining than watching the show now.

14. Rachel Scott says:

I’m a newcomer to the show, this is my first season, but I keep reading about Derek winning all of the time. He’s won four out of 16 right, it’s not like that is the majority or even close. That means there are 12 seasons that he hasn’t won. Who’s been winning the rest of the seasons, has someone different won all of the rest? There’s always going to be that one person who wins the most in any competition. Personally I am rooting for Amber, so I hope they win.

• Sara says:

Just in general, he’s very much the golden boy of the show. He’s won more than anybody else, I believe, but not only that – his partners almost always get very far in the show. It’s become very apparent, in my opinion, over the last few seasons that the show favours him over other pros. Nobody else comes close. A couple people have won twice (Cheryl Burke, Mark Ballas, Kym Johnson and Julianne Hough).

• Danna says:

So are you saying that any pro that wins more than once is favored? I’m having daja vu to Tony’s win. “Ohh lets give him the win bc he has never won before”. Good God, yes Derek won the most but that’s bc he knows how to play to his partners strengths. Instead of complaining ab Amber not being model sized he made her look awesome, can you imagine how she would have looked with Tony as her pro? Slow, boring choreography and Tony bitching ab not getting the perfect partner.

• Sara says:

Frankly, you seem to be misunderstanding what I’m saying. Partly, I am saying he wins more because he is favoured, only partly. I say this because what I think has been happening is he gets placed with partners that theoretically should do well/bring in a large fanbase. He gets paired with these people because he himself has a huge fanbase, so if he makes it to the finale, or close to it, that’s a full season of good, solid ratings. Together, their fanbases are astronomical, almost automatically placing them in the final 3. Please don’t think I’m saying that he doesn’t work hard, or that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s incredibly good at playing to his partners strengths, BUT if she was a nobody, chances are they wouldn’t get quite as far. And I don’t see why you loathe Tony so much. He’s had overweight partners and to my recollection, never complained about their weight. Tony, Val, and Maks own dance studios in Eastern US, I don’t think he can afford to have people think their teachers might discriminate due to size. Anywho. I’m not saying Derek isn’t talented. But I do think ABC tries to put the odds in his favour too.

• Danna says:

I actually don’t loathe Tony or any of the other pros I just like some more than others. Tony doesn’t complain ab a specific problem he just complains. I liked how he said this season that if you have a partner with dance background you are automatically in the final. I bet Val and Mark has a thing or two to say ab that now. I respect your opinion and I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree. What bothers me is that a lot of people are blaming Derek as if he has a say in who he is partnered with or what scores his partners get. Never in a million years do I believe that Tony, Maks, Val, Louis or the rest would have won if they had Derek’s former partners. Do you really see any of them beeing a 4 time champion? It is not just ab the celebrity, you have to know how to pun on a show and entertain. All the male pros had good partners and they still haven’t won, why is Derek beeing hated on (not by you) just because he knows how to choreoraph memorable rutines?

• leo21 says:

My observation is that pros like Derek, Cheryl and even Karina really teach the dances to their stars and both the judges and the fans reward them for it. Some of the other pros rely too heavily on stunts when they have a tougher assignment and at least I hate seeing that over the dance.

15. Eric7740 says:

What also goes into my voting and who I hope wins (besides the fact that I’m a fan of the person I’m voting for) is if the celebrity seems personable. Amber has connected with the audience at home and the in ballroom. IMO, Corbin did not seem very personable or at least not as personable as some of the other celebrities (which is why I’m guessing Bill Engvall got so far, his personality)

16. Rod says:

Still upset Elizebeth is not in the finale. If it were her, Amber, and Corbin, then it would have been the best finale the show had ever seen. And I’m rooting for Amber. Corbin may have a little more in technique, as he’s had training, but he brings little personality to his performances which is part of the presentation. Amber brings that every time.

• Rachel Scott says:

That’s why I’m also hoping Amber wins. I’ve loved Corbin since his High School Musical days, but I feel I didn’t see who he was in his dances and on the show. I followed Amber to this show, as I had never watched it before her, and I’m glad I did. I really want her to win, but if for some reason she does not, I hope it’s Jack.

17. Nicole says:

Everyone remember to breathe, and in reality they are winning a disco ball on a piece of wood… it’s not that big of a deal.

18. Allison P says:

I am so proud of how far Jack has come from his first few dances to his freestyle. I would not be upset if he won this season, but I know he has no chance again Corbin and Amber.

• Patty says:

You never know, Jack has a very popular family. Popularity wins, not the best dancer, as it should be. I’ve seen it happen too many times.

19. noah says:

people need to get over it…people didn’t mind giving derek the mirrorball 2,3,or even 4 times why should this time be different i like amber and derek and their freestyle were great and all of their previous dances were good to i think they should win even if i am not that big of a fan of derek that doesn’t mean anything amber deserves it and derek did a great job teaching her everything….how would people feel if they are great at something and win a few times and someone say that they shouldn’t win because they won before.

20. Hi, tҺіs weekend is nice in favor of mе, for the reason that thhis moment i
    am reading this impressive informative article here at myy hօme.

21. Ңello there! Do yyou use Twitter? I’d like too follօw you if tthat woulɗ be okay.
    I’m definitely enjoyinng yyour blo and look forward too new updates.

22. We’ve tried to work with, but It won’t performs in any way.

23. We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in
    our community. Your web site provided us with valuable info to
    work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our entire community will
    be thankful to you.

24. sofasco says:

Excellent article. I absolutely love this site.
    Stick with it!