Once Upon a Time First Look: Regina Adopts Baby Henry — So Why Is the Lad So Sad?

Get More: Photo Gallery

While tweenage Henry’s life hangs in the balance during Once Upon a Time‘s two-week respite, fans can find comfort in these photos from the little guy’s less stressful days, as a baby ripe for adoption.

RELATED | Get Details on the Split-Season, ‘Non-Stop’ Schedules for Once Upon a Time and Other ABC Shows

In the ABC’s drama’s next new episode, “Save Henry” (airing Dec. 1), while the Neverland gang races on to stop Peter Pan from gaining full magical powers (having received the heart of the truest believer), flashbacks to The Storybrooke That Was reveal how Regina decided to fill a void in her life, with Mr. Gold’s help, by adopting a baby — in this case, one given up to a better home by the then-incarcerated savior, Emma Swan.

Comments (44)

• “Has no one shown him the Live+7 DVR numbers?” Lol.

Comment by ktbanks – November 21, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG at the caption hahaha

Comment by Yet – November 21, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The captions are the best part about your promo photos.

Comment by Samantha – November 21, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve sort of forgotten-Regina didn’t know Henry was Snow’s grandson when she adapoted him, did she? It couldn’t have been a coincidence that she adopted Henry even though supposedly neither Regina or Gold knew Henry’s biological lineage, right?

Comment by HIS99 – November 21, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good question. I can’t remember if Regina or Gold knew that Emma was the savior/the Charming’s daughter. Was August the only one who knew?

Comment by NotafanofNeverland – November 21, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She didn’t know until Rumple told her in 1.02.

Comment by courts – November 21, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right, but she never knew her name unless she was spying through the mirror. Rumple only told her that Snow and Charming’s child was the key to breaking the curse. Regina did however know that they had a daughter as when she was looking for the baby she said “Where is she?”

Comment by Mary – November 21, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So could we then assume that Rumple knew the baby he gave to Regina was from the Charming’s grandson?

Comment by NotafanofNeverland – November 21, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, he didn’t have his real memories then, he wouldn’t have had any clue who Charming or Snow even was. The reason he asked for Emma’s name before the curse was so he could get his memories back when Emma came to town and introduced herself to him.

Comment by Addie – November 21, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
          • ^Rumple knew the entire time who everyone was, knew that Emma was the key to ending the curse, and was responsible for Regina getting Henry. It was all in season 1. Regina thought she was the only one who’d remember but Rumple made Regina promise him that she would never deny him what he wanted (or something along those lines) in exchange for the curse.

Comment by amelia rose – November 21, 2013 11:37 AM PDT
          • @amelia rose: Both the writers and I believe Robert himself have confirmed that Rumple did not get his memories back until Emma came to town. He remembered when Emma introduced herself in the pilot- that was why he wanted her name from Snow and Charming before the curse hit.

Comment by Addie – November 21, 2013 11:53 AM PDT
          • No Rumple had his memories because he knew Neil was there and that’s the real reason he was so giving to Regina plot to curse everyone. He wanted his son the entire time. But he didn’t know about Henry, remember it was Pinnocho (don’t think I spelled it right) was the mastermind on getting Emma back to Storybrooke, I think it was him who got Regina Henry.

Comment by Amanda – November 22, 2013 05:00 AM PDT
    • Neither one knew until Emma came to Storybrooke. Regina had her memories the whole time whereas Gold only got his memories back when Emma came to town. I bet they’ll make it that Pan/The Home Office arranged Henry’s adoption.

Comment by Addie – November 21, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rumble arranged the adoption. Rumble does nothing without motive and has visions of future events (although not, apparently, about Henry’s paternity.) His quest to find Bae put the entire curse in motion. He knew Emma was the savior. And I’m sure he knew Henry was her son. Henry was a catalyst in getting Emma to the town to break the curse. He was too cooperative to be against curse breaking.

Comment by mrsdp – November 22, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, I love you for your captions. I’m so happy that you decided to add them and I hope that you’ll never stop adding them!
    Thanks for making my day funnier :)

Comment by Kris – November 21, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What makes me think that Pan had something to do with it?

Comment by Ginger Snap – November 21, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably because it’s coming near the end of the Neverland storyline with Pan. And I’ve been thinking the same thing for a while. That he had someone working for the “Home Office” get Henry in Phoenix and bring him to Storybrooke, but it would have had to have been someone who could find the town while it was under the curse. So that person would have had to be from the Enchanted Forest originally or it was the shadow taking on a persona to enter the town.

Comment by Mary – November 21, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • August could have bring the baby to Storybrook. He knew all time around.

Comment by jm – November 21, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much for the captions! They make my day!!! Also, love that in the pictures Henry is calm for Mary Margaret, as if baby Henry knows she’s his grandmother and Regina is the Evil Queen!! Love it!! Can’t wait!!

Comment by Meghan – November 21, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When it comes to Henry, Regina is first and foremost his mother. That’s what makes this relationship and this backstory so important.
      Yeah it’s a fairytale show, good vs. evil and all that. But here Regina or the Evil Queen is simply a new mother (complete with overstuffed diaper bag and all ;)) who has no experience in caring for a newborn and the reality is that this can be extremely overwhelming and stressful for all mothers. Because being a mother is a 24/7 job. And especially in the beginning you’re constantly worried about them, the reasons for their crying or fussiness, and your own abilities as a mother.
      It only makes her more human. And if Snow has a second child on the show she’ll go through the same experiences. The joys of motherhood. But it’s all worth it. :)

Comment by JJ – November 21, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I understand all of this, promise! I’ve just been on a Season 1 rewatch binge this week where I’ve gotten back to the simple “I hate the Evil Queen and no other evil person exists to make me want to claw their eyes out” time in Once history. I just found it neat that Henry stops crying for MM and not Regina who is his mother for all intents and purposes at this point.

Comment by madjeknotts – November 21, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I’m sorry if it felt like I was attacking you or something. I didn’t mean to, I was just rambling. I understand what you mean. And it totally looks like a cute moment! :)

Comment by JJ – November 21, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • homemade applesauce, keep these captions coming.

also no clue Ginnfer Goodwin was pregnant (maybe that why she wants to try for a baby and they’ll write it in)

Comment by missvci – November 21, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has already told Charming that when they had to reveal secrets to free Bae/Neal. But even if she hadn’t it’s not that far fetched that she would want another chance at raising a child since she wasn’t able to with Emma and due to the curse, still being young enough for the opportunity. Think it’s always been a matter of when, not if they have another. Ginnifer’s pregnancy now may or may not have dictated it. They may have already decided that Snow would have a baby this season before the start of it.

Comment by Mary – November 21, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting for this episode for a long time. Always wanted to know the story of how Regina adopted Henry,

Comment by Kre – November 21, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The captions are awesome! And awww, Snow doesn’t even realize she’s holding her baby’s baby. I do wonder if she remembers Henry as a baby or if her memory got “hazy” as the curse went on.

Comment by Addie – November 21, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe they kept their Storybrooke memories once they got back their real memories. Though it would be interesting to see if MM remembers holding Henry back then. It may come up in episode.

Comment by jenferner8 – November 21, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The captions on the promo photos have been keeping coming back to this sight.
    Great Job. Thank You

Comment by GreenJelloFrog – November 21, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for this episode. Regina with baby Henry <3

Comment by lily – November 21, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been looking forward to this ep ever since I hear it was about Regina/Henry.Their relationship is so important, yet gets looked over by the show far too often, which I find frustrating. Hopefully this will be an awesome episode!

Comment by Aly – November 21, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina and Henry, I’m so excited.

Comment by ihr – November 21, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “the Live+7 DVR numbers?””

But they’re not his demo.

Comment by John 1138 – November 21, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for this episode. Been waiting for it for a long time. Now all we need is some more damn Emma flashbacks.
    And keep the captions coming!! For other shows too please

Comment by abz – November 21, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the perfect episode to bring Jamie Dornan back for anothe round

Comment by M – November 21, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yes, too bad he signed up for the crappy Fifty Shades. Way to flush his career down the toilet before it even took off.

Bring back Sheriff SkinnyJeans

Comment by missvci – November 22, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The face that Regina is making in the first picture, basically says it all – “What the h–l have I got myself into”? She looks frazzled. Cannot wait to see this episode. PS I apologize Matt, I know that no swearing is allowed, but I just could not think of any other word to describe the look on her face!

Comment by Pat – November 21, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Words cannot express how excited I am for this episode.

Comment by Jennifer – November 21, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am so glad that Ginny finally past her 1st trimester and confirmed her pregnancy. The usually brilliant wardrobe department can finally stop putting her in those ugly shapeless clothing.

Comment by HereThere – November 21, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LUV LUV LUV the captions. They are hilarious. You had me at applesauce.

Comment by tvdiva – November 21, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love everything about this show, except for Henry and Ginnifer Goodwin’s increasingly shorter short hair.

Comment by Jack – November 21, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for this episode!!
    And your captions are amazing. Thank you for doing them!! I hope there’s more in the future!

Comment by Rachel – November 23, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina looks so adorable with little henry in her arms.

Comment by yanira – November 23, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please do captions all the time! Those were great.

Comment by Tania – November 26, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited at these pics! Especially given that Regina has been my favorite character on OUAT since the start of S2. Like to see how the smug, all powerful evil-queen handles motherhood…probably what made her a better person.

Comment by Rich Abey – November 26, 2013 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post