Once Upon a Time First Look: Regina Adopts Baby Henry -- So Why Is the Lad So Sad?

While tweenage Henry’s life hangs in the balance during Once Upon a Time‘s two-week respite, fans can find comfort in these photos from the little guy’s less stressful days, as a baby ripe for adoption.

RELATED | Get Details on the Split-Season, ‘Non-Stop’ Schedules for Once Upon a Time and Other ABC Shows

In the ABC’s drama’s next new episode, “Save Henry” (airing Dec. 1), while the Neverland gang races on to stop Peter Pan from gaining full magical powers (having received the heart of the truest believer), flashbacks to The Storybrooke That Was reveal how Regina decided to fill a void in her life, with Mr. Gold’s help, by adopting a baby — in this case, one given up to a better home by the then-incarcerated savior, Emma Swan.

1. ktbanks says:

“Has no one shown him the Live+7 DVR numbers?” Lol.

2. Yet says:

OMG at the caption hahaha

3. Samantha says:

The captions are the best part about your promo photos.

4. HIS99 says:

I’ve sort of forgotten-Regina didn’t know Henry was Snow’s grandson when she adapoted him, did she? It couldn’t have been a coincidence that she adopted Henry even though supposedly neither Regina or Gold knew Henry’s biological lineage, right?

• NotafanofNeverland says:

Good question. I can’t remember if Regina or Gold knew that Emma was the savior/the Charming’s daughter. Was August the only one who knew?

• courts says:

She didn’t know until Rumple told her in 1.02.

• Mary says:

Right, but she never knew her name unless she was spying through the mirror. Rumple only told her that Snow and Charming’s child was the key to breaking the curse. Regina did however know that they had a daughter as when she was looking for the baby she said “Where is she?”

• NotafanofNeverland says:

So could we then assume that Rumple knew the baby he gave to Regina was from the Charming’s grandson?

• Addie says:

No, he didn’t have his real memories then, he wouldn’t have had any clue who Charming or Snow even was. The reason he asked for Emma’s name before the curse was so he could get his memories back when Emma came to town and introduced herself to him.

• amelia rose says:

^Rumple knew the entire time who everyone was, knew that Emma was the key to ending the curse, and was responsible for Regina getting Henry. It was all in season 1. Regina thought she was the only one who’d remember but Rumple made Regina promise him that she would never deny him what he wanted (or something along those lines) in exchange for the curse.

• Addie says:

@amelia rose: Both the writers and I believe Robert himself have confirmed that Rumple did not get his memories back until Emma came to town. He remembered when Emma introduced herself in the pilot- that was why he wanted her name from Snow and Charming before the curse hit.

• Amanda says:

No Rumple had his memories because he knew Neil was there and that’s the real reason he was so giving to Regina plot to curse everyone. He wanted his son the entire time. But he didn’t know about Henry, remember it was Pinnocho (don’t think I spelled it right) was the mastermind on getting Emma back to Storybrooke, I think it was him who got Regina Henry.

• Addie says:

Neither one knew until Emma came to Storybrooke. Regina had her memories the whole time whereas Gold only got his memories back when Emma came to town. I bet they’ll make it that Pan/The Home Office arranged Henry’s adoption.

• mrsdp says:

Rumble arranged the adoption. Rumble does nothing without motive and has visions of future events (although not, apparently, about Henry’s paternity.) His quest to find Bae put the entire curse in motion. He knew Emma was the savior. And I’m sure he knew Henry was her son. Henry was a catalyst in getting Emma to the town to break the curse. He was too cooperative to be against curse breaking.

5. Kris says:

Matt, I love you for your captions. I’m so happy that you decided to add them and I hope that you’ll never stop adding them!
    Thanks for making my day funnier :)

6. Ginger Snap says:

What makes me think that Pan had something to do with it?

• Mary says:

Probably because it’s coming near the end of the Neverland storyline with Pan. And I’ve been thinking the same thing for a while. That he had someone working for the “Home Office” get Henry in Phoenix and bring him to Storybrooke, but it would have had to have been someone who could find the town while it was under the curse. So that person would have had to be from the Enchanted Forest originally or it was the shadow taking on a persona to enter the town.

7. Meghan says:

Thank you so much for the captions! They make my day!!! Also, love that in the pictures Henry is calm for Mary Margaret, as if baby Henry knows she’s his grandmother and Regina is the Evil Queen!! Love it!! Can’t wait!!

• JJ says:

When it comes to Henry, Regina is first and foremost his mother. That’s what makes this relationship and this backstory so important.
      Yeah it’s a fairytale show, good vs. evil and all that. But here Regina or the Evil Queen is simply a new mother (complete with overstuffed diaper bag and all ;)) who has no experience in caring for a newborn and the reality is that this can be extremely overwhelming and stressful for all mothers. Because being a mother is a 24/7 job. And especially in the beginning you’re constantly worried about them, the reasons for their crying or fussiness, and your own abilities as a mother.
      It only makes her more human. And if Snow has a second child on the show she’ll go through the same experiences. The joys of motherhood. But it’s all worth it. :)

• madjeknotts says:

Oh, I understand all of this, promise! I’ve just been on a Season 1 rewatch binge this week where I’ve gotten back to the simple “I hate the Evil Queen and no other evil person exists to make me want to claw their eyes out” time in Once history. I just found it neat that Henry stops crying for MM and not Regina who is his mother for all intents and purposes at this point.

• JJ says:

Oh, I’m sorry if it felt like I was attacking you or something. I didn’t mean to, I was just rambling. I understand what you mean. And it totally looks like a cute moment! :)

8. missvci says:

homemade applesauce, keep these captions coming.

also no clue Ginnfer Goodwin was pregnant (maybe that why she wants to try for a baby and they’ll write it in)

• Mary says:

She has already told Charming that when they had to reveal secrets to free Bae/Neal. But even if she hadn’t it’s not that far fetched that she would want another chance at raising a child since she wasn’t able to with Emma and due to the curse, still being young enough for the opportunity. Think it’s always been a matter of when, not if they have another. Ginnifer’s pregnancy now may or may not have dictated it. They may have already decided that Snow would have a baby this season before the start of it.

9. Kre says:

I’ve been waiting for this episode for a long time. Always wanted to know the story of how Regina adopted Henry,

10. Addie says:

The captions are awesome! And awww, Snow doesn’t even realize she’s holding her baby’s baby. I do wonder if she remembers Henry as a baby or if her memory got “hazy” as the curse went on.

• jenferner8 says:

I believe they kept their Storybrooke memories once they got back their real memories. Though it would be interesting to see if MM remembers holding Henry back then. It may come up in episode.

11. GreenJelloFrog says:

The captions on the promo photos have been keeping coming back to this sight.
    Great Job. Thank You

12. lily says:

I’m so excited for this episode. Regina with baby Henry <3

13. Aly says:

I’ve been looking forward to this ep ever since I hear it was about Regina/Henry.Their relationship is so important, yet gets looked over by the show far too often, which I find frustrating. Hopefully this will be an awesome episode!

14. ihr says:

Regina and Henry, I’m so excited.

15. John 1138 says:

“the Live+7 DVR numbers?””

But they’re not his demo.

16. abz says:

So happy for this episode. Been waiting for it for a long time. Now all we need is some more damn Emma flashbacks.
    And keep the captions coming!! For other shows too please

17. M says:

This was the perfect episode to bring Jamie Dornan back for anothe round

18. Pat says:

The face that Regina is making in the first picture, basically says it all – “What the h–l have I got myself into”? She looks frazzled. Cannot wait to see this episode. PS I apologize Matt, I know that no swearing is allowed, but I just could not think of any other word to describe the look on her face!

19. Jennifer says:

Words cannot express how excited I am for this episode.

20. HereThere says:

Am so glad that Ginny finally past her 1st trimester and confirmed her pregnancy. The usually brilliant wardrobe department can finally stop putting her in those ugly shapeless clothing.

21. tvdiva says:

LUV LUV LUV the captions. They are hilarious. You had me at applesauce.

22. Jack says:

I love everything about this show, except for Henry and Ginnifer Goodwin’s increasingly shorter short hair.

23. Rachel says:

I’m so excited for this episode!!
    And your captions are amazing. Thank you for doing them!! I hope there’s more in the future!

24. yanira says:

Regina looks so adorable with little henry in her arms.

25. Tania says:

Please do captions all the time! Those were great.

26. Rich Abey says:

Really excited at these pics! Especially given that Regina has been my favorite character on OUAT since the start of S2. Like to see how the smug, all powerful evil-queen handles motherhood…probably what made her a better person.