Exclusive

Exclusive Atlantis Video: Meet Pythagoras (aka the Triangle Guy) and Big-Boned Hercules

BBC America is taking viewers to Atlantis, a new fantasy-adventure series premiering after the Day of the Doctor special, and its inhabitants are not exactly as legend has built them up.

We’ve got your exclusive first look as modern day Jason (played by Dancing on the Edge‘s Jack Donnelly), on a search for his missing father, unexpectedly wakes up in the lost city — to much confusion.

PHOTOS | The Day of the Doctor Preview

First, he encounters the noted figure Pythagoras (War Horse‘s Robert Emms). “You’re the triangle guy,” Jason says in shock, leaving the mathematician perplexed himself.

“How did you know I’ve been thinking about triangles?” he replies.

But the biggest surprise comes when a portly Hercules (Game of Thrones‘ Mark Addy) enters the room and defends his “heavily built” frame.

Atlantis premieres this Saturday, Nov. 23 at 9/8c.

Loading video...

1. Benn says:

I’ve been watching this show since it first started, and while it’s slow to start, I am enjoying it now(at episode 8 I believe). It is no Merlin, though. I miss Merlin…

• katy917 says:

See, I could barely make it through the first episode and gave up half way through episode 3. I loved Merlin, but this just didn’t work for me, which is a shame as it had such great potential and I love both Greek myth and all things related to Atlantis!

• Autumn says:

Agreed. I could only make it half way through the first episode it was SO bad like seriously awful (one of the worst shows I have ever seen) and I love Merlin. Don’t know what happened here. Maybe it gets better? But the first episode at least is a HUGE mess.

2. Karin says:

I have a love/hate relationship with this show. It’s getting better but I want more Atlantis, less Greek myth. Also this Atlantis is not an island. And so far I’ve seen no signs of a society far more evolved than the Greeks were. And yet, I keep coming back for more each week.

3. Katie_Mead says:

This show is more for fans of Sinbad (2012) from Impossible Pictures (makers of Primeval) than for fans of Merlin, which Atlantis has replaced in the UK (both in terms of creators & timeslot). While it is getting better from week to week, it doesn’t have the magic, and isn’t as easy for adults to watch, as Merlin or Sinbad were. Still, as it has already been renewed for a 2nd season, there is time for the characters & plots to develop to a more enjoyable level.

• Mel says:

How disappointing. I started reading the comments with hope that it would have gotten positive feedback, and it would specifically not be compared with Sinbad. Oh well…

4. Eli says:

Having already seen this as well, I have to let people know this is a a terrible show. The only positive thing I can say is (little) kids might enjoy it, but anyone older than 13/14 can only look on in disdain.

5. Louise Frederick says:

Such a promising start but went downhill fast.