Ravenswood Boss on Caleb/Miranda Soulmate Status, Hanna's Reaction, Red Coat Redux & More

RavenswoodFinaleRavenswood‘s midseason finale gave Pretty Little Liars a run for its money in the ‘shipper department when it revealed that the love story between cursed twosome Caleb and Miranda dates back at least a century. But what does that mean for the leading man’s Rosewood-based romance with Hanna?

Here, executive producer Oliver Goldstick reveals what’s next on both series for this extremely complicated triangle. He also teases twists ahead in the Ravenswood curse, the return of that creepy little girl and more when the drama resumes on Jan. 7.

TVLINE | That gorgeous little blonde girl in the red coat — clearly a nod to Alison and Pretty Little Liars, right?
[Laughs] Well, we did an homage to the red coat in the Halloween episode… But that scene was the introduction of Max, who does return. That’s not the last we’ve seen of that little devil!

TVLINE | Does the curse looming over “The Five” mean that the remaining four have to die?
We didn’t want to give it all away because it’s richer and deeper than they thought. As far as all of them being in peril, they are. Much of the next five episodes focus on whether it’s somebody in the town who has a connection to the underworld and is enforcing the curse.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars: Alison’s Alive — EP on Alison’s Future and Guilty Ezra

TVLINE | Is there a possibility that Miranda’s death won’t stick?
There is. The kids [on the show] don’t know everything and we don’t either. We discover things as we are in the writer’s room, so we have not committed to the fact that she might be back in another form.

TVLINE | Talk about your plan for Caleb and Miranda. Have the writers approached this story as if they are in fact soulmates?
Yes. We’re really creating a triangle here that just complicates poor Caleb’s life — how can he be confused after just four episodes? [Laughs] The man experiences a life-and-death experience with somebody, and that can bond you; this certainly makes them very close very quickly… It’s no coincidence that they share so much in common regarding their backgrounds. He and Hanna do not have that at all, so that was really important to us.

TVLIVE | Will Hanna be looped in on the supernatural nature of Caleb’s connection to Miranda?
As we speak, that is being filmed; it’s Episode 10 of Ravenswood. And he’s very much back in Pretty Little Liars‘ season opener, which would be Season 4B.

TVLINE | I just imagine that someone like Hanna would respond to something like that with a, ‘What the hell are you talking about?!’
Exactly — until maybe she experiences something like that herself.

RECAP | Pretty Little Liars Recap: Night of the Living Dead

TVLINE | That Dillon twist was very “A”-esque in that he is a human working for some larger Big Bad. Is he around in the next batch of episodes?
He is indeed and he gets closer to Olivia, which is unfortunate. You’ll find out why he talks to that little girl — he’s got a good reason, too. He is a mortal, he’s not an evil being. But he basically has access to something else and you’ll find out why.

TVLINE | How will Remy’s sleepwalking continue to play out?
In the actual dreamworld that she inhabits, she has access to invaluable information for the group. She also goes to a sleep clinic, which is pretty damn spooky too. She has the wires attached to her head and everything.

TVLINE | Can you speak to Uncle Collins’ motives? I’m guessing he’s not as nefarious as he seems.
You have every reason to believe he’s up to something no good — he’s a dark person. But you’re going to find out in an episode that I wrote that he had a relationship with Luke and Olivia’s mother in high school, and you’ll gain some access into who he is. But that doesn’t mean he’s not dark.

TVLINE | What are you most excited for fans to see when Ravenswood returns?
The legacy of the curse, where it comes from, how it’s going to impact their lives now and what happened to Luke and Olivia’s father because of it. All of that plays in really beautifully in the next five episodes.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Jenna says:

How are the ratings for this show going? Is it in danger of getting cancelled?

2. Cory says:

I’m hoping it gets an order for more episodes. Every episode gets better and better.

• Tori says:

I totally agree, every episode leaves you wanting more. I imagine some Caleb and Hannah fans fainted when Ravenswood said Caleb and Miranda are possible soulmates. let the fury begin, lol. I do hope they explain why the couple who brick themselves into the wall believe their deaths would bring Caleb and Miranda back. The preview trailer for the remaining episodes showed someone who look like a preacher from those days; my gut tells me he is a major part of the curse.

3. Elyse says:

Ravenswood is pretty underwhelming. I only watch out of loyalty to PLL.

• dude says:

I don’t think it was PLL’s idea as much as it was ABC Family’s way of adding a supernatural show to its roster.

• Rook says:

Yeah PLL and Ravenswood are completely different, they just need to break up Caleb and Hanna so they can cut ties between the two shows.

4. K. says:

I really like this show, so please don’t cancel it when I really want to know what the heck is going on! I know people love Caleb and Hanna together but I like him with Miranda too. Also I think this show is better then Pretty Little Liars or maybe it’s because the kids don’t act so dumb….

5. alistaircrane says:

Caleb deserves better than Hanna, who is tied with Aria for Most Annoying Liar (Spencer and Emily are the best of the PLLs). I am rooting for him and Miranda!

6. Dawn says:

I have watched all the pll shows and read the pll books. They r great. Watching ravenswood expecting the same. Its a great show too. Has u sitting on the edge if seat.

7. Halima says:

I am beginning to re-evaluate my life. This show is so good I can’t even,

8. webly3 says:

I really have been enjoying Ravenswood more than I enjoyed Twisted and even some of Pretty Little Liars.

9. Maryann says:

I never watched PLL, but I really love Ravenswood. So what are its chances for renewal?

10. Dani says:

So far the show is great. It really gets better by every new episode. It would be a shame if they cancel it after only 10 episodes.
    Two things that kinda worry me: 1) The constant and annoying anger from Hanna/Caleb shippers. I mean, look at the books. The girls have other love interest in there. Why isn’t it possible for the TV show? Aria has to be with Ezra, Hanna has to be with Caleb, Spencer has to be with Toby and Emily has to be with Paige? I never saw a show so damaged by all the shippers. It clearly clouds the minds of TPTB.
    2) It’s dangerous to mix a supernatural show with a non-supernatural show. RAVENSWOOD is a spin-off, yes. But because of the supernatural, any future crossovers should be minimized. I expect that Hanna’s supernatural experience in episode 10 won’t have any impact on what happens on PRETTY LITTLE LIARS. But again, it’s dangerous it mix up these two worlds for much longer.

11. Fernando says:

Bring back Lying Games

12. sarah says:

I really like Ravenswood. It is scary and creepy at times but it also has funny moments. I hope it does not get cancelled.

13. tam427 says:

I don’t watch but this sounds exactly like the plot of The Vampire Diaries.

14. Nicole says:

Ravenswood definitely got renewed because at the end of the last episode. They had a promo for ravenswood and one for pretty little liars.

• Lambsilencer says:

That promo was not for the second season, but for the second half of the first season, which was always clear it would come. ;)

15. Trina says:

I have always wanted to watch PLL but ding have a chance to watch it. But when I heard about nicole was in a new show I was waiting impatiently for it to start… Now I’m totally hooked. I watched all five eps in 1 day (more like 6hrs).

16. Nikki says:

Ravenswood is great. Way better then twisted. I’m worried though because all the angry hanna and caleb fans are putting a damper on ravenswoods ratings and chance of renewal. People aren’t watching because they don’t want to contribute to a hanna caleb break up. But I mean come on now lets be real people break up get over it. So if you all like ravenswood make sure your warching live every week, tweet and facebook about it during the show. Get your friends to watch it. The ratings need to improve or we will be stuck with that awful show Twisted.

17. K. says:

Ravenswood is great please let Caleb and Miranda be together some how!I like their chemistry together…Better then him and Hanna’s…

18. Holly says:

I think the main concern that PPL fans have with the Caleb and Hanna thing is that he’s basically cheating. It’s fine if he wants to break up and be with someone else. But he’s being dishonest with Hanna and leading her on instead of letting her go. On PLL when he came back to Rosewood, he lied right to her face. She knows it and he’s hurting her. As someone who’s put up with a cheater before, I can’t stand these type of men, and it’s the reason why I stopped watching Ravenswood when I saw that Caleb was going in that direction. I agree that Miranda seems like a better match for him (even before we found out about the soul mate thing), and they would make a great couple. But I hate that the writers chose to make this into a so called “love triangle.” There’s nothing loving about a cheating asshole and a bad/mentaly abusive relationship. And that’s exactly what they turned Caleb and his relationship with Hanna into. Why not just end it?