The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Can't Believe What I Saw as I Turned on the TV This Evening

Matthew Schuler, Jacquie LeeAdam Levine may be People’s “Sexiest Man Alive” for 2014 — yep, Carson Daly confirmed that the rumors are true — but the Maroon 5 singer got relegated to third-place status on The Voice‘s Season 5 Top 10 results telecast.

Finishing ahead of him? First runner-up Cher, of course, breathing life into a sleepy “Voice confessional” segment with her flame-red hair and “Honey, I’m a legend!” brand of humor.

And winning the hour? Well, that crown went to Team Xtina — the Lady Aguilera along with her two remaining singers Jacquie Lee and Matthew Schuler — who delivered a scintilating Jackson sibling medley of “Black Cat” (Janet), “Scream” (Michael & Janet) and “Bad” (Michael) that Carson dubbed the greatest group performance in show history. And for once, the dude’s standard-operating hyperbole was fitting.

RELATED | The Voice: Analysis, Advice and Dream Set Lists for the Season 5 Top 10

The final contestant performance of the night — Caroline Pennell and Tessanne Chin on Lorde’s “Royals” — was pretty excellent, too. The less said about “Sugar We’re Going Down” (James, Kat & Will) and “Sharp-Dressed Man” (Team Blake) the better, I suppose.

In that spirit, shall we get to the results?

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)
James Wolpert (Team Adam)
Matthew Schuler (Team Xtina)
Ray Boudreaux (Team Blake)
Will Champlin (Team Adam)
Tessanne Chin (Team Adam)
Jacquie Lee (Team Xtina)
Cole Vosbury (Team Blake)

RELATED | The Voice‘s Josh Logan Talks Supernova, Stevie Wonder and Criticism Over His ‘Crazy’ Cover

Bottom Three Vote-Getters
Austin Jenckes (Team Blake)
Caroline Pennell (Team Cee Lo)
Kat Robichaud (Team Cee Lo)

I won’t lie to you: News of Caroline’s at-risk status made me get a little cray-cray.

Just as I was about to hurl something against my TV, Carson cut to the moment we’d all been waiting for — no, not Sean Hayes taking up the bottom of the screen with yet another irksom popup ad for Sean Saves the World, but rather, the scoop on who’d fill the eighth and final spot in next Monday’s performance show:

Instantly Saved
Caroline Pennell (Team Cee Lo) — YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Eliminated
Austin Jenckes (Team Blake)
Kat Robichaud (Team Cee Lo)

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Top 10 results night? Did you take to Twitter and participate in the “Instant Save”? Did the right people go home? Share your thoughts in the comments!

1. Em says:

I was completely shocked that Caroline was in the bottom three. Probably has something to do with everyone thinking she is safe because everyone is voting for her… except no one did.
    The two went home that I thought were going to and deserved to. I’m glad Ray and Will get the chance to prove themselves again. They were my dark horses this year.
    Now, let’s hope coaches don’t screw up song choices next week….

• allie says:

I wasn’t a Caroline fan until she sang Royals tonight. PLEASE let Blake stop with the cutsie crap and let the girl sing something that showcases her as a strong and current artist. She rocked it tonight but if he keeps trying to make her into Danielle #2 (wasn’t that the little girls name that won last year?) with the balloons and floaties in the background I am going to scream…. or at least vote for someone else.

• Becky says:

Has more to do with song choice. And on top of that she picked it out. The song was not forced on her. Is this a song she would select for her album. Really because that is not what people want to hear. She hasn’t been gaining new fans . She probably lost some to one of the other 7. Ceelo needs a coach to get him and Caroline to the end.

• Emily says:

It isn’t a surprise or a shock. Her song was boring. I’ve heard the original, and it had way more energy. When she sang Royals, I was in shock then because she was really good, and i found myself enjoying that more than anything else she has done. She’ll continue to be at risk unless CeeLo gives her some song with more emotion in them. “Leaving on a Jet Plane” was just a bad, boring song choice.

• Ellen says:

Micheal… Read your own recap from Monday’s performances. Caroline wasn’t even mentioned!

• Tom says:

Why no comments on the twitter voting for the west (or wrong coast) or lack of it?
      Not sure what the point of voting is when the east coast can override my vote with a 5 min twitter vote, that I (unless I wish to spoil the show by watching the results 3 hours ahead of time) am not allowed to make. All you Caroline fans would really be disapointed if the country fans, in the midwest and west were allowed to vote real time. Caroline would now be watching. (IMHO)
      It’s just wrong. There will be no Grammy’s for the Voice this season, So enjoy your jaded victories, with this twitter crud, but the Voice and it’s contestants are the big losers in this.
      Have a Great Day

2. Timmah says:

Maybe they’ll finally let Caroline sing in the second half of the show.

• Yeah…let’s give her Matthew Schuler’s spot for a change.

• Timmah says:

He sure does get to sing in the pimp spot a lot, or close to it.

• Terry says:

I was thinking the exact same thing last night!

• HTGR says:

Yeah it seems like have dumped Caroline and Jacquie way front every week ever since they seemed to pose big early challenges to Matthew and this week they even went over the top with OMG girls! his future girlfriend or even wife may be in the voting audience tonight!!!!
          (not that he isn’t good)

• Meh says:

You do realize he went to #1 on itunes…right?

• HTGR says:

Yeah. I said not that he isn’t good. He is good. But all the same Jacquie was same ball park that week, some say even better although not all agree, but was put near the start of show anyway and they are going full tilt with that girlfriend card thing. He is good though and as is very near the top of my list. Anyway there isn’t enough to say much for sure yet.

• MariMari says:

I’m not sure, but is it like Idol where they watch/hear the rehearsals and base some of the order (the pimp-spot in particular) based on which artist they think will close the show with “a bang”? I do believe that some of the “order” is used for strategy – – the producers’ agendas.

• Gailer says:

Hear hear!

3. debi says:

thank goodness Caroline was saved. Royals was so good. I seriously would have quit watching this season if she had not been saved.

• Gailer says:

I said weeks ago ceelo better not screw this up but he did with song choices for Caroline

• Technically Caroline picked that awful song. And Caroline reminded us all that she isn’t a working artist, she used to sing at band camp.

• AlyB says:

Yes it was her own choice & Ceelo made it very clear he wasn’t keen on it. The thing is he threw his own contestant under the bus when he said he thought the song swallowed her. I didn’t think that was the case at all. She sang it well. It’s just a really lame song for a competition like this. She’s been doing the butterflies & puppies thing to the point where some of her early supporters may be looking at someone offering up music with more substance.
          She did a great job on Royals. I love the quality of her voice but she has to step away from the ultra saccharine song choices next week. And please someone tell production to stop putting kittens & rainbows type graphics on jumbo screens behind her. I want to see sweet Caroline go a little dark and haunting. I know she has it in her.
          I do think Ceelo’s ‘please save my team’ speech was as lame as Caroline’s song. Anyone else get the impression he just didn’t care? He even complimented Austin when he was supposed to be rallying tweets for Caroline & Kat. idk what’s going on with him but that wasn’t even a half hearted effort. Good thing people on twitter stepped up and saved her. I do think the right people went home tonight.

• Terry says:

Ya it wasn’t a bad performance but it was boring and sometimes boring is worse than bad.
            I thought for a second there CeeLo was gonna be left with no contestants, now that would have been kinda funny.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Um… I am not sure if CeeLo has figured out this is a *competition* yet. The *good* thing is that Caroline’s fans will really rally around her – and next week, is exactly the right time to have some outraged fans pulling for you? This is the right Top 8, but a very small margin really separates everyone [except Matthew who seems to be pulling away from the pack]. Let’s hope CeeLo learned something this week, but I doubt it.

• HTGR says:

CeeLo seemed maybe either so PO he didn’t know what to say without causing backlash so he just mumbled out a tepid rah-rah for his team or maybe he is just totally defeated feeling and resigned without how voting is going and losing Kat combined with Simms ridiculous loss to Jermaine and so on and so on. Who knows, maybe I’m misreading him, but he seemed sort of, well as I said, either defeated to the point of not knowing what to even bother to say and frustrated with it all or just mad and frustrated and babbling out a tepid defense knowing he better not say what he really thinks??

• dj says:

Not too dark and haunting. Remember what happened with Holly and “Creep.”

• JM says:

@HTGR
            Yes, I agree. CeeLo seemed really depressed about the results, and when Carson called on him, he wasn’t prepared. so he put on this fake smile and forced something out.
            @AlyB
            I actually think CeeLo is a very truthful person. I think he has a hard time being ‘fake’. He thought her rendition wasn’t good, and he stated so, unlike the other coaches who almost never say a bad word about their singers.
            Personally, I don’t think this is the right venue for him. He’s not a schmoozer like Blake is or sexy (Adam) or beautiful (Christina). I like that he represents the unique and turns his chair for singers no one else would, but for some reason, people don’t like him so perhaps he should retire from this show.

• HTGR says:

Yeah he may be too real and too quirky (in a good way) perhaps for reality tv. I do get a sense that it might be starting to eat at him and disappoint him (and I can’t say I blame him, the way things go down on these singing shows I usually find disappointing myself, especially compared to the earliest days of these types of shows). Although it’s always hard to say what someone else is thinking based off of so little. But I hope he sticks it out a bit longer. A lot of the well regarded names of show have had something to do with him from and he appeared to have some rather blander singers pop out and win the first few seasons. Vicci Martinez,Amanda Brown,Juliet Simms, etc. etc. lots of well regard names with a CeeLo connection and now Cole too. And Kat was keeping things interesting.
            Blake does seem to do the whole who do you want to chill with a beer with thing well and as with voting in politics or tv I guess it always tends to work well.

• The Beach says:

Where are the stylists when you really need ‘em? Caroline is in high school and every show she’s dressed in something frumpy like she’d been combing through her mother’s closet. That necklace she wore last night was straight out of the Queen Elizabeth collection. I would bet that dressing her more like a hip teenager would garner her more votes.

• Cassandra says:

I really dug that duet and wish they would make that available as an Itunes download.

• Terry says:

I was yelling at the TV, why couldn’t Adam have picked this song for Tessanne for performance night?!?! That was soooo good.

• Terry says:

For next week that is, since she was already safe, you know what I mean…

• HTGR says:

Yeah, interestingly, Tessanne finally seemed interesting again during Royals.

• Cassandra says:

ITA, he needs to make sure he’s giving her more current music or something more subdued. We all know the girl has some serious pipes, but must every song be a power ballad? She was a backup singer for Jimmy Cliff, how hard is it to find something that shows her range but is fun and catchy as well? I would love to watch her let loose.

4. lori says:

Loved Tessanne and Caroline’s duet. They should offer it on ITunes. Can’t believe Caroline was at risk. Glad she was safe. So very glad Kathy is gone.

5. Ginger Snap says:

The right 2 went home.

And we’re now left with 3 girls and 5 guys. which means Jacqui or Caroline (or both) will be gone next.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think Caroline’s fans will rally for her next week. This is not American Idol where you’re voted off for simply having a vagina… And the competition is entirely too close for any of the contestants to think they are a shoe-in at this point. That would be a grave mistake.

• Ginger Snap says:

Really? ‘Cuz take a look at the numbers from iTunes:

#33 Cole Vosbury – To Be With You
        #38 Matthew Schuler – Beneath Your Beautiful
        #50 James Wolpert – Without You
        #57 Caroline Pennell – Leaving On a Jet Plane
        #71 Tessanne Chin – If I Were Your Woman
        #78 Ray Boudreaux – You Are the Best Thing
        #87 Will Champlin – Love Me Again
        #88 Jacquie Lee – Clarity
        #112 Kat Robichaud – We Belong
        #217 Austin Jenckes – Your Love

We’ve got a contest between the cool guys and the singers. Cole and Ray are definitely cool, James and Will are trying to be cool. Matthew and Tessanne are the pure singers I the group.

Caroline isn’t cool and her voice is weak. Jacqui tries to cover her weaknesses by screaming. It should shock no one when they exit next week.

• Teeny Bikini says:

That’s a really interesting interpretation. But it actually doesn’t prove anything. If it did, clearly Jacquie should have been in the bottom this week. Right? But she wasn’t – because iTunes is not the only criteria with which ultimate elimination is determined – ie, the votes and the save. What is more telling is that only 55 spots separate the leader of the pack and the bottom. I can’t remember it ever being that close. And since when has anyone “cool” actually won this show?

• Ginger Snap says:

It shows that the system is more heavily weighted towards live voting. Because Caroline’s supporters did download her tune, but there weren’t enough of them voting to overcome Will, Ray and Tessanne. That landed her in the bottom 3. And from where I sit, based on the strength of the performances and the charisma factor (cool guy), it fits.

6. The results this week were only mildly surprising. It wasn’t like the X Factor last week when none of them deserved to be in the bottom. Kat and Austin gave the weakest performances of the night, and it’s good that they were there. Caroline deserved to be safe, but I can understand why people didn’t connect to what she sang last night. I tweeted to save Caroline, and I’m glad it worked. The Instant Save has gotten very good results for two weeks in a row, in my opinion.

7. Britt says:

I was really surprised that Caroline was in the bottom 3. However, I did go on Twitter and vote to keep her (from the West Coast)!!!!!!! Unfortunately, the show won’t be on for another 1 and a half roughly :(

Also Slezak, I want a full minute of singing ;) and I loved your tweets above lol

8. Fais says:

Thank God!!!

9. Tom22 says:

The Voters know who they like ! All is fair and good. Hopefully no one needs to get snarky about those who left or that other people liked artists above those that ended up in the bottom three. I enjoyed last nights show more on the second listens than the show itself. More mellow songs do sound better while walking the dog : ) … lots of really great band assistance in a few of those songs (to name one .. and can’t name all.. I particularly liked the whole band and choir etc behind Ray.

10. Tiffany says:

If the instructions were to tweet who viewers wanted to save then I call BS on the results (with apologies to you Michael). Twitter trends only had #saveaustin in the top ten trending in the US during and immediately after the five minute vote period.

• missvci says:

but if you look at the number of retweets Caroline had well over 30,000 and Austin was around 27,000 at the time of closing.

• Denise says:

Twitter picks up more than the save hashtag- it talys their name and twitter account too,

• analythinker says:

Sometimes Twitter algorithm takes some trends off their list because of its suspected intentionality or deliberateness. Safe to say I’m part of a fanbase and have tried to trend before, succeeded, only to have it gone from the list seconds after.

11. Christobel says:

I know Kat wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I am sorry to see her go!
    Now Cee lo needs to take it up several notches if he doesn’t want a repeat of this week!

• Ted says:

I agree. I liked Kat; thought she was awesome in the group number tonight. Ray should’ve gone home instead of her; I just cannot stand him at all.

• allie says:

Loved Kat. Bored with Cole – would have preferred to see him go but it is a talented group overall.

• darcy the slutty twin says:

Love Cole. Kat is and forever will be, the worst. She is contrived, off-putting and all in all, disgusting. The “I’ll murder you” facial expressions, the calculated crowd-surfing and back-bending at the end of each song – too damn much. I am relieved she’s gone.

• Ted says:

Interesting…. isn’t that what performers do in concert???

Cole plays a nice guitar, but he doesn’t have the inclination to do anything original; he is satisfied with karaoke covers.

• waterbug says:

Totally agree Ted…

• HTGR says:

Lots of things that real world performers do and lots of personality traits that those who make it in the real world have are treated as sins in the world of reality TV voting (doesn’t make sense to me, and I often find it annoying when such things are punished, but that seems to be the case).

• kavyn says:

She got horrible song choices, which sucks. Sail is the only song I’ve downloaded this season.

• dj says:

I felt like she could have done better with her song this week if she didn’t have so much choreography to try to remember. The vocal took a back seat.

• Teeny Bikini says:

Loved Kat. She was fun. Sad to see her go too.

12. TC says:

It’s ridiculous that Caroline was in the bottom three. She’s been my favorite since the blind auditions and far better than most of those who were saved before her. Hopefully this scare will make her fans vote fast and furious in the next coming weeks and trigger CeeLo to pick perfect songs for her.

13. Bane says:

The fact that Caroline was even in the bottom three is utter B.S!!!! I’m not saying she is the BEST but there are some snoozefest inducing people who need to go before she does!! WTH

14. Kaba says:

Earth to CeeLo EARTH TO CEELO.
    Instead of acting like a musically convoluted jackass you should probably start instructing your team the proper way. Give her some songs that actually make her voice sound as magical as it used to. Recently it’s been more “lemme go get a blanket and read in a winter storm at a log cabin next to a fire”-esque. I want that magic she brought with “Anything Could Happen” and “As Long as You Love Me”.
    You know what would be lovely? “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri.
    Or just throw the entire “Pure Heroine” album at her.

• Kevin B says:

I thought about that also being a great song for her — but I think she really needs to hit a home run and try something where she is really different from her previous performances. Not so different that she winds up failing — but something that gives her the opportunity to have her “moment” in the live shows.

• Marcie says:

I would love to hear her do a Taylor Swift song. Something about her voice makes me think soft country (but in her style) would be beautiful.

• sd says:

Leaving on a Jet Plane was Caroline’s song choice. She wanted to sing it because she used to sing it at camp. It was obviously a poor choice but CeeLo wanted to give her autonomy to make her own choice. In this case CeeLo was not to blame for what happened. Hopefully she got this extremely bland song out of her system and she’ll pick better songs.

• Kaba says:

By no means am I fixating my attention on “Leaving on a Jet Plane” at all. She’s been incredibly sheep-ish since the beginning of the live rounds. This was just the icing on the cake. My statement still stands bold because I wasn’t wrong when I said that CeeLo focuses too much time on some stupid justification as to why he picked the song other than it simply being a perfect fitting song.

• Tom22 says:

I had been voting for Caroline and even bought her ep. I thought she did an ok job stuck with a bad song the week before. I was truly disappointed last night. It wasn’t only that it was a sleepy song choice but that .. well, I didn’t think she did a very good job with it. I expected that if she loved the song, she’d bring some unique connection with it she could share with us. The song can be quite emotional and even if it meant a lot to her.. I didn’t get any artistic touch that made it say a bit more. SO ? lol I’m not saying it was bad.. just that I decided not to vote for her. I’m not that interested in hearing more but I WAS before.

The better/worse game makes no sense. That isn’t how the voting is set up. It is set up for you to be able to help those along that you like, knowing well that if you make max votes for all, your favorite might come in behind your next.

I think it is a great system as it lets people keep their own favorites around and you end up with a collection of singers who at least one segment of the audience really likes. In the end, there isn’t room for everyone everyone gets to have someone they like

In the end..we know a country artist will win it.. so.. knowing that in advance..we shouldn’t be disappointed. We know that Second Place is the aim as first is out of reach. Thats cool….what does it matter anyway who gets the “tittle” ; )

But to keep your favorite in it.. she’d got to keep appealing to people enough to want more… not so much be “better” than the ones that are favored by those with different tastes.

• Woodmeister says:

After tonight’s scare I think she should sing Taylor Swift’s “Mean” to all of her fans who did not vote. But I agree …better songs Cee Lo. Perhaps “Songbird” by Fleetwood Mac or “Ho Hey” by The Lumineers. She was great on Royals as was Tesanne.

• Sly says:

They sounded pretty gool alright (but its a miserable song).

• LB says:

I like the song. Plus, Tessanne has finally done a performance that I haven’t found boring. Hopefully, Adam noticed how great she sounded and will give her something similarly current for next week.

• Sly says:

Well it is current, but it is aimed at 15 year-olds. Which is fine for them. But not for anyone over about 17.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I was thinking the same thing about Tessanne when she was singing. For me, that was her first engaging performance. Young, fresh, totally in the pocket, and didn’t try so hard. I loved it. I doubt if Adam learns things though…

• HTGR says:

Interesting. I was afraid I’d been the only one to feel that way, but it seems many are saying it, she finally came to life again, gave a truly engaging performance and used interesting phrasing.
            As for Sly, hah, you sound like you are 18, not 17 or under obviously and yet not likely much over 18 (in which case you wouldn’t feel the need to be oh so serious to prove you are past high school and not yet settled back in to being OK with having fun with stuff like Royals again hah).

• CMG says:

I get a Leigh Nash (Sixpence None the Richer) vibe from her voice, so she could do anything from them and sound pretty good.

• Tom22 says:

Do people think Caroline has a strong enough voice to sing “landslide” ? I think the words would be something really charming for her… a bit less just “sweet girl” and a bit more “caring and philosophical girl”. ?

• Teeny Bikini says:

I think her voice is strong enough. I am willing to hear anything that doesn’t include rainbows and kittens at this point. She needs to show emotional depth or that she’s current. Her fans will be pulling for her next week. It’s inevitable.

• Teeny Bikini says:

LOL. “Earth to CeeLo.” Indeed.

• Jewel says:

Agree…Caroline is amazing but needs better song choices. Enough with the kittens and rainbows. I’ve said it before, I think she would sound great on a Tori Amos song. I vote for Silent All These Years next week!!

• Márlon says:

I think “Summertime sadness” by Lana del Rey would fit her. But seriously hope Ceelo wakes up or Xtina and Adam will take over the show!

15. Dreme says:

I am so watching the next episode of Reality Check. I hope its not just one line, Michael :)

16. Denise says:

There is sooo much talent this year that every week from now on will be painful. I think Kat and Austin were the last expendable ones. (Heck, I still miss Preston)

• knd says:

I completely agree. Every week from here on out is going to be painful.

• Sea L says:

I think Preston might have gotten a recording contract. He has tweeted that he wil be releasing a single around Christmas and an album in the new year. Sure hope so. He is getting a lot of attention since undeservingly leaving the Voice. He now has fans around the world.

• Flygrrl40 says:

Yea! Great to hear. I would laugh my a** off if Adam was the one that pitched him the deal. The way he was looking all calculated when he cut him. Wouldn’t surprise me if he said, “Dude, based on iTunes and the “type” of singers you’re competing with, you can’t win so I’m cutting you. But let’s cut a record by Christmas.”

17. Adam Reinaldy says:

Caroline needs to get darker next week. Enough with the pixie dust and whimsy, Cee Lo. Time for a new approach.

18. analythinker says:

I might have to retire my iTunes-watching hobby soon… glad Caroline’s saved. She got the most RTs from NBCTheVoice account, had 10,000-ish gap with Austin’s, even wider with Kat’s.

19. Sly says:

Can we just take a momen to say just how much of a monster drummer Nate Morton is.

20. Dan (Haleyloony) says:

Am I the only one who thought that the band was playing too loud during Team Xtina’s performance? It was still incredible, anyways.
    I am so happy Caroline was saved, but a little sad Kat went home since she showed a lot of potential in Sail.

21. Mika02 says:

Anyone blaming Ceelo for Caroline being in the bottom should really be looking at Caroline because she picked the song and it wasn’t a good version. That said either the Voice team did this give her a slap on the wrist for going against her coach, people didn’t like her version or everyone thought she was safe and voted for others. Either way not Ceelo’s fault.

22. Mo Saïd says:

Ummmm that Team Xtina performance was pretty epic. I was in awe.

• allie says:

It was awesome although I am pretty sure Jackie (sp?) messed up in Black Cat.

• Jon says:

Team Xtina was EPIC! And as Carson said, the best group performance ever on The Voice. Seriously Grammy Awards-level staging and performance. Great choice of Janet and Michael songs (and Scream in particular is not an overplayed choice, like so many Jackson songs). Tessanne and Caroline were also fantastic with Royals — in fact, it was the first time I’ve seen what others have in Caroline.

Overall, GREAT show and IMO miles better than the actual performance show yesterday!

• Flygrrl40 says:

TRIVIA: What was also pretty cool and probably helped to make the vibe great, was that the ORIGINAL Black Cat lead guitar player, Dave Barry, was actually the dude playing on stage, up on the riser. He laid most of the cool guitar riffs for the original Black Cat, and he was also Janet Jackson’s long-time touring artist/guitar player. Now he’s had this Voice gig, too, these last few years. So I’m sure he really had a hand in rocking that number out!

23. analythinker says:

Cee-Lo needs to really really think through his strategy. That was the second time (right?) he had two of his team members in the bottom three and it cost him another one.

24. NotHappeningTonight says:

I’m not at all surprised that Caroline was in the bottom, perhaps America has finally figured out she’s been getting a pass because she’s cute as a bug. But as a singer, she’s got a weak, squeaky, cartoon character voice. She’s one-dimensional and that one dimension just ain’t all that interesting.

• Terry says:

I agree also, and to be perfectly honest, if she had been eliminated tonight I wouldn’t miss her one bit. I think we’ve already seen everything she’s capable of. Maybe I’m wrong and maybe she’ll surprise me next week but I’m pretty much bored with her at this point.

• Elizabeth says:

I haven’t been a fan of hers…but I do think she did really well with Royal tonight. I think that ended up savings her (plus, being the last of the bottom 3 to sing tonight had to help as well).

• NotHappeningTonight says:

I do agree that Caroline did a good job on Royal tonight, helped by Tessanne of course. But it was a song that worked within her very, very small wheelhouse. Certainly, every good singer has a style and range they work best in. But my problem with Caroline is that her style and range isn’t much wider than one of her little totes adorbs shoes.

• Jacqi says:

Here here! Someone else finally noticed her squeaking!

25. Candice says:

I am really not that shocked with tonight’s results although, I am mildly disappointed. While all my favourites were safe, I prefer both Austin and Kat to Caroline. I know everyone is quite up in arms about her being in the bottom three. I honestly don’t think she’s as strong of a vocalist as the others left. This isn’t to say she doesn’t have a place in the industry though, so please don’t jump down my throat. I’m just saying that maybe her style isn’t everyone’s cup of tea

26. Andrew says:

wow idk wat to say.. it would be sad if the 3 remaining ladies made bottom 3 next week.. Whatever happens next week a “favorite” will be gone for sure

27. Dana Mosley says:

Loved the team X-Tina performance. It actually transcended the show and was something like what Cason said on the level of like the Grammys or something. Everything else paled in comparison.

28. Jenn says:

I am sooo happy that Caroline was saved! She has such a pure voice and deserves this chance…eventhough i don’t think cee lo deserves to be working with her. He’s taking her way out of her comfort zone and i know he wants to show that she can do it all but you need to give her songs that represent her and that she can sing well so she can get votes and win….that’s what America wants to see…not loud crazy songs that aren’t her at all. I also have to say that Austin was awesome and i am sad to see him go…that was a hard decision because him and Caroline are two very different singers and are very good at what they do…i wanted them to both stay…didn’t like Kat…sorry Kat fans. I thought her voice was always shakey and she just tried too hard. It comes natural to good singers…i feel that she just wasn’t good enough. Great show!!!

• Kevin B says:

I was actually thinking the opposite — she is too much in her comfort zone — after a while, everything sounds repetitive, and everyone else is taking chances with unusual songs and often killing it. Yes — I agree she has a very distinctive style and voice — but she needs to take a bigger risk. The talent is too good this year for her to coast along.

29. Ashley says:

Btw…why is Adam Levine the sexiest man alive as though we don’t have much, MUCH better candidates?

• Shawn says:

I agree people think he’s the sexist thing to ever have walked the earth but there are guys out there that are way hotter than him. Anyway the results aren’t too surprising to me tonight. Somehow I knew all of team Cee lo was going to be in the bottom 3 with a Team Adam or Team Blake member thrown in the mix.

• dj says:

He’s a’ight when he’s not slicking his hair down for the nerdy look.

• LB says:

I agree about the sexiest man alive thing. Adam Levine is fairly good looking, but he is definitely not sexy. He has the personality of an annoying little brother.

• TooSexy says:

Chris Hemsworth for me. Go check out the People Mag website. There’s over 500 comments on the Sexiest Man Alive article, and just 12 comments or so approving. The rest are so against Adam. It’s like Ben Affleck cast as Batman. :)

• JM says:

Answer: Free publicity for People magazine!
      Same reason why JLo was announced as the sexist woman in People magazine on AI when she was a judge.

30. I loved Caroline the first couple of weeks but the last 2 weeks she has kept getting worse. She was horrible on Monday night! Gave her a “D”

31. Davey says:

I just don’t seem to agree with Michael this season. I really liked the number with James, Kat and Will. Also I think the Royals number right before the instant save helped save Caroline. And it was nice of Ceelo to say something nice about Austin before the save was announced.

• Stephan says:

I like James, Kat, and Will’s performance too, although it also reinforced the fact that James’ pitch needs work. Caroline needs to thank the producers or stage manager for putting her at the end of the night, as I think that performance saved her and Team Ceelo. Performance of the night was still Team Xtina.

Actually, I wish they would go back to the “sing for your life” thing they had in season 2, incidentally.

• You’re nuts if you think James was not perfectly on pitch. You must be buying into Christina’ s deliberate psyche-out of the viewers. She’s been saying that to put down James because she knows he’s serious competition for her team. Of the three singing, James was the most on pitch and the one you could actually hear the best. You need to listen again…maybe it was one of the others you heard hit an off note.

• Stephan says:

James sounded sharp to me in the 2nd verse of Sugar, We’re Going Down. And he was blatantly, confidently, and loudly off-key at times on Monday when Christina gave him that criticism.

I don’t think James is talentless or anything, far from it. I just think he and Adam really need to find out what his is sweet spot vocally and pick songs that showcase it and not have him nearly screaming long notes (he may just be rasping them, but as they are so high, they sound like a scream). I actually think he would be good with Fall Out Boy songs, but he can go off pitch fairly noticeably and it has happened over a number of weeks now.

32. JW says:

I was just thinking to myself this morning that Caroline might sound good singing “Royals.” Too bad she can’t sing it for more votes now, though, but I’m glad if it helped save her tonight!

33. Angie_Overrated says:

Is what I’m reading actually true?! Kat is gone?! I don’t believe it. Must check the news. OMG, SHE IS GONE! KAT’S GONE!!! Three cheers! One more cheer! Pause to do heel kicks. One more pause for a double somersault. SHE’S GONE!!! Still not sure how she even got a chair turn, but alas, it’s over and I can move on from this traumatic event. Kat’s reign of aural terrorism is finally behind us all.

34. PFitzDC says:

I am a big Caroline fan, but I’m not at all surprised she was at risk. “Leaving on a Jet Plane” was a HORRENDOUS song choice…. Now, I understand her emotional connection with the song, and I personally like the song a lot, but I’m 49. It’s NOT a song that will be embraced by the voting watchers and iTunes crowd—and it really demonstrated her immaturity for trying to break into the business. CeeLo and the producers should have talked her out of it–they are supposed to know better (even though most of the judges’ picks this week were almost as bad). Glad she got through, and the scare should mean she’ll be safely into Top 6 next week.

• dj says:

I agree. I think they will see better iTunes sales if they pick more current songs–at least from the last decade or so.

• LucyM says:

Caroline was 4th in the iTunes sales and reached 28. No way she should have been in the bottom 3.

• dj says:

I know, but I feel like she could have hit number 1, like Dia Frampton used to do, if she had a better song. I know she picked it herself, but it was lame.

• Roe says:

Two most successful songs this season; James Wolpert’s ‘A Case of You’ and Matthew’s ‘Hallelujah’ are not even from this decade, in fact the songs are older than the singers even. ‘Current’ does not guarantee ‘sales’ on itunes. It’s a matter of combination between song choice AND the delivery. I’m still amazed at just how Adam got James on Joni Mitchell’s and at how James made the song his own and deliver it so heart-wrenchingly.

• Lee says:

1/2 agree. 1/2 disagree. Yes, song choice is important. But IMO song arrangement is equally important. I think Caroline could’ve turned Leaving On A Jet Plane into a good performance, but she didn’t have a chance with the lousy song arrangement.

• davey says:

I agree about the arrangement of Leaving on a Jet Plane. The arrangement was overdone. It’s better done stripped down and more poignant that well. There’s a lot of noise on The Voice.

• dj says:

Some songs are timeless classics, but this song is not one of them. Nobody sats “jet plane” any more. The song is going to be old-fashioned no matter how you arrange it.

35. greysfan says:

I was very shocked indeed but i guess it goes to show that if you don’t vote for your favourite they could be sent packing. Not surprised by the other 2. They were the ones i was expecting to leave this week anyway but Caroline in the bottom well that is just WRONG!

36. Laurie says:

I am glad it seems Caroline’s days are numbered. She is VERY limited vocally and is trying to squeak by acting cutesy. It is already starting to wear thin and America is catching on. She is also still and not the least bit entertaining to watch perform, which is why I’d have preferred to see more of Kat than her. Oh well, Caroline’s got 2 more weeks max and then we’ll never hear from her again.

• Kaba says:

Squeaky?
      I swear, almost NOBODY here has any idea what exactly a “squeaky” voice sounds like.

That’s squeaky. :/

• Mark Rodriguez says:

I am glad to see I am not the only one tired of the Cutsie Cartoon character voice of Caroline. I guess her father being in a band helped her along to this point ?

• MC says:

ITA with everything you said about Caroline. I’m glad there are others who feel the way that I do.

37. Jim says:

I really like this twitter save. Gives power to the audience rather then the coaches like in x factor. I wouldn’t mind putting it in place for idol. Might save deserving contestants coughpiacough

• Alexander says:

Idol lives for the water cooler chatter – installing this kind of rule would certainly keep better singers in longer, but it would also eliminate shocking results, which Ryan Seacrest lives for.

38. danin says:

Thought what Xtina was wearing was off putting next to the all american looking kids,Jaquie&Matt. I’m gonna miss Kat.She&James my faves. And I think a majority of the song choices the last few weeks sort of suck. Guess they’re sppealing to a younger crowd w/blah musical taste.Just as tedious to me as when they drag out the old,classic dinosaurs.

• Christobel says:

Exactly!I thought her shorts looked a bit like a chastity belt :)

• Sea L says:

Agreed. Chrstina did not dress appropriately to be perfoming with these young folks. Also her stance was quite tacky. The performance was great though. Also agree with the song choices in the past week. I was not impressed by anyone in particular which is unusual.

I was not a fan of Kat’s but hey she portrayed what she thinks a female rock star should be like. Terry McDermid was in a class of his own as a rock singer. He has never needed to portray other than the person he is.

• HTGR says:

It was hardly THAT shocking. And Matthew is 21 almost past college age, you think he hasn’t seen 1000x more than that at many a college party and she is going on 17. Do you think they live locked away in a convent or monastery? I doubt they are scarred for life. I’m sure he saw more his first five minutes after stepping foot on campus and her after one minute down at the Jersey Shore boardwalks or flipping on the TV for 20 seconds. (don’t think of the Jersey Shore TV show though as that has little to do with people from or near the Jersey Shore but just focused on one loud crowd that tends to come in from NY on summer weekends).

39. Jake says:

Caroline needs to reinvent a pop song that is not in her wheelhouse, like she did with “As Long As You Love Me.” Jackie fell very flat this week . . . I don’t think she’ll win until she successfully nails a slow, emotional performance, like Will did with “Secrets” and Matthew did with “Hallelujah.” Matthew has a great voice, but I struggle with his musical identity. Early on he seemed like he wanted to go the rock route, but his live show song choices have been all over the place. Will knows exactly who he is, but I think he’ll need to get a little more comfortable onstage and show his personality, or else he may be at risk soon. Cole has a great voice, but his song choice this week was abysmal – there wasn’t much he could do with it. Ray has a great voice, but if he sticks with the kinds of songs he has been covering lately, people aren’t going to remember to vote for him. Tessanne did great this week, but I hope Adam picks something completely random for her this week that she can make her own and put a twist on. Creativity largely got Melanie Martinez to the Top 6 a few seasons back, and if Tessanne can mix that kind of creativity with her fantastic voice and emotional connection, she could win. James sounded great this week and is growing on me. I can’t tell if he’s super popular or not, though, because of his early-competition struggles. I think Austin and Kat were the right ones to go – Austin has been consistently forgettable, and Kat (in my opinion) lacks the level of vocal ability that the others have.
    My picks for the Final Three would be, at this point, Will, Tessanne, and either Jacquie, James, or Cole. My predictions for the Final Three are Cole, James, and Matthew.

40. Emilie says:

Caroline did not deserve to be in the bottom 3. After hearing her do “Royals” tonight, I would have loves to see her do that song on a Monday night show. That song was good for Tessann, too. She proved she is a true talent who is capable of taking on more than just “big diva” ballads.

41. Jackye Brown says:

Have not been impressed with CeeLo ‘s song choices along the way…. Loved Jonny Gray, but thought he killed him with song choices

42. Stephan says:

I’m sad to see Kat leave. She was the only “in your face” rocker in the group. I figured Caroline would be the one to stay for some reason, but honestly, she and Ceelo need to go way out of the box next week. I have a feeling, Ceelo wanted her to do Royals yesterday, but she insisted on that John Denver tune.

More importantly, am I the only one who really wants Adam to sit James down with a vocal coach and figure out what is range actually is and work on his pitch? He was pitchy last night, he was pitchy singing Fall Out Boy, and he sounded a bit pitchy singing the Killers last week. I’m also convinced Christina’s comments to him this week were a hint to stop rasping those high notes at random… he sounds like he is screaming them randomly.

I thought that Austin, while talented, just seemed redundant on the show or at least on Blake’s team.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I agree with everything you said about James. He needs real voice coaching. Every time he veers off pitch – confidently – I think why doesn’t Adam correct him? It seems pretty obvious what his sweet spot is at this point.

• TC says:

agree 100% on James. Not sure why is seems to come around unscathed every week. He is pitchy and not nearly as pleasant to listen to compared to the others (I feel the same way about Jackie as well-too inconsistent)

• JM says:

100% agree about James. He needs to stay away from screaming songs like the ones he’s been doing lately. He is NOT a hard rock singer, like Kat. He’s more Elton John to me.

43. A says:

I really feel like Christina is a whole different person this season. I think she is coaching the crap out of her team. She used to come across as too concerned with herself to help anyone but this season she is completely different. She seems a lot more relaxed and caring. I think she is gonna take it for sure this year. Although, I would not put it past America to vote team Blake no matter what.

• Mary says:

I hope your right, personally I like both her artist more than the others.

• ibisarr says:

I agree! She is so warm and nurturing this season. Maybe its because she did some humanitarian work during her break last season. Or it could be that it is just that her two are such warm and good people too.

44. Dagwood Shatstirrer says:

Ray needs to sing New Orleans Ladies by LeRoux, the real LeRoux, but then again, none of you poptart top 40 clueless hacks would even know that song and you would penalize him for it because it’s not on the pop 40 charts…so frustrating being a music fan of many genres and constantly having good singers kicked to the curb for the flavor of the month.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I would love to see Ray have one breakout performance with any song that suits his style and voice. I think he’s close. He just needs the right song….

• Terry says:

I like Ray’s tone of voice a lot, him and Tessanne are my two faves so far this season, I hope they both can find that water cooler moment song like some of the others already have.

45. TooSexy says:

A friend told me a few weeks back that ‘Royals’ would be a great song for Caroline to sing. Cee Lo should have drop the idea of her choosing ‘Leaving on a Jet Plane’ and gave her ‘Royals’ Cee Lo will be out of contestants in a week or so.

46. darcy the slutty twin says:

Cole’s eyes when he sings: sends tingles down my you know what

47. Kaba says:

Just saw Team Xtina’s performance….
    Thoughts:
    Jacquie is more and more starting to give off this “Xtina in training” vibe. Minus about 80% of the vocal grit.

• writerchick says:

Exactly! I thought she was vying for the xtina mini-me title. I also think it’s a mistake for xtina to be guiding Jacqui toward song so far outside her age and experience. The girl can sing but aren’t there any even slightly age-appropriate songs that she could sing? And Matthew is losing his mojo too – Monday’s performance should have landed him in the bottom three – another performance like that and his fans may turn away too.

• Mary says:

A lot of people are giving both Adam and Ceelo a hard time for song choices but I think Xtina is worse. At least I have a pretty good idea what kind of vocalists James, Tessanne and Caroline are. Based on the songs Matthew and jacqui have sung since the live rounds–I have no idea what kind of artists they are. Matthew sang Leonard Cohen and Emeli Sande songs for the past 2 weeks–even though he chose songs by Young the Giant and Florence and the Machine. And Jacqui sang a U2 song even though she sang Amy Winehouse in the blinds. I think Xtina is a horrible coach.

• Stephan says:

While has thrown Matt a bit of everything, she has actually been rather smart with Jacquie. Jacquie sang Amy Winehouse for blinds and what were Christina’s first two choices for her, a dark blues record and a dark rock record (she was covering the Jack White version)—two obviously influential genres on Amy Winehouse. Having Jacquie sing Clarity was a way for Jacquie to showcase other parts of her voice while also singing something more “age appropriate.” The arrangement was actually closer to what Jacquie does back home in Jersey as she plays keyboard.

With Matt, her strategy seems to be to separate him from the other hipster rockers on the show–Will and James– by flaunting his versatility and ability to be an indie-styled young adult heartthrob.

If anyone isn’t coaching well, I would go with Adam, who needs to stop trying to make James into a Mick Jagger styled rock god and give Tessanne something more up-tempo and sassy; or Ceelo, who managed to lose Cole, mess up with Kat, and hasn’t pushed Caroline enough.

48. HTGR says:

kat :(
    (the one rocker chick and now there is nobody like that left at all, yeah she was a little uneven, still her Sail last week was better than a few left have ever done and it was different so I’d rather have seen her go on than some others but I mean I get it though as you can make pure vocal cases over the weeks for the others, it is not like she was purely vocally blowing everyone away for weeks and then suddenly let go and I’m not going to crazy about it, but all the same, personally I thought it was a definite shame and think there were a few more Sails or more in her, so yeah it kind of sucks just in terms of what I’d like to have seen. I think it didn’t help that she didn’t build that big base early and her awkwardish crazy rocker chick thing made her cold to some who didn’t get it and reading all the comments about hot pants and tsk tsking her videos probably didn’t help either, just check this week’s New York Times science section to get my drift so she definitely had absolutely zero wiggle room to survive with reality voters. Probably got a bit too caught up thinking about choreography this week, one week maybe wasn’t enough to get it down without thinking.).
    jacquie :)
    sort of afraid what the next week or two of results may bring
    i think cole and matthew may be well ahead, although still definitely not to the point of having run away with anything, the rest may be somewhat close, i have a weird feeling all the remaining guys might have a trace more free pass ability in terms of voting, but I could well be wrong.
    was surprised Caroline was bottom three

49. sophie says:

I really adore Christina this year. She has such a great energy, that Jackson tribute was sick. But I think it was too hard for Jacquie who seemed a bit out the whole performance.
    Royals was not as good as I expected from these two.

I think the coaches need to rethink their song choices, it was a really boring show.

50. sophie says:

And- what in the world was Caroline wearing?!