The Strain Thriller Ordered to Series at FX

Get More: News, Series Orders

The Strain Series Order FXThe Strain appears to be catching.

FX has ordered 13 episodes of the Guillermo del Toro-helmed drama, the cable network announced on Tuesday.

RELATED | Exclusive: 24‘s Leslie Hope Battles The Strain

From Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) and del Toro (the Hellboy films, Pan’s Labyrinth), the high-concept thriller stars Corey Stoll (House of Cards) as Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of a Centers for Disease Control team in New York City. Unexpectedly, the group is tasked with investigating a mysterious viral outbreak with the hallmarks of an ancient, evil strain of vampirism.

The cast also includes Mia Maestro (Alias), Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings), Kevin Durand (Lost) and Natalie Brown (Being Human).

Production will begin in November in Toronto; the series is slated to bow in July 2014.

Comments (18)

• Werq! This sounds awesome. Now if AMC would just pick up The Terror…

Comment by Sam – November 19, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has Guillermo Del Toro ever been associated with anything bad? Nope. Can’t wait.

Comment by HAP – November 19, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mimic was kind of lame, but generally you make a good point.

Comment by wordsmith – November 19, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d certainly check it out considering all the talent involved. I am not much on the vampire genre, mostly because it is directed at hormonal teenage girls, so hopefully this will cater to a more adult audience.

Comment by ajintexas – November 19, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should read the books :) The vampires are definitely not the type that are aimed at teenage girls lol they most definitely do not sparkle!!!

Comment by Sweety – November 19, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I heard this was going to be an FX show then I heard that Corey Stoll was going to be in it, then I ran to the library to get the book. The book was great, can’t wait to see this!

Comment by Jennifer – November 19, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All 3 books were fantastic, I could not put them down. The cast is stellar, and they left out a major casting which is John Hurt as the old professor with ties to the “Vampire”. Should be epic, but will it by on FX or FXX?

Comment by Scott Hathaway – November 19, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s being recast, per Deadline

Comment by MDS – November 19, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to Deadline, they’re recasting John Hurt. Sorry if that’s a bummer for you.

Comment by Christian – November 19, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is a bummer but I bet they will cast just as good. I wonder if he will be in the pilot and then they will have that awkward recasting time where the person is just obviously different. I choose burn notice as an example, in the pilot Michael Westons mom was an OCD freak and thinking she was always sick, the next episode they used the one they picked who is the chain smoking mom

Comment by Scott Hathaway – November 19, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As opposed to those other ,peace loving, benevolent strains of vampirism?

Comment by Eran – November 19, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was on board until it mentioned vampirism…. I am so over vampires.

Comment by GeoDiva – November 19, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GEODIVA, it craps on the genere and spits it back out, it was created by two ruthless writers who did an awesome job. It is going to be the biggest show of the summer this year.

Comment by Scott Hathaway – November 19, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really glad this show.got picked up can’t wait to see.

Comment by julio – November 19, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Neon Disease.

Comment by amycorvus – November 20, 2013 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seems like the guy that plays Walder Frey on Game of Thrones will be playing Setrakian in The Strain.

Comment by Scott Hathaway – November 22, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really!!?? Where did you read that? Walder Frey as Setrakian – worst casting ever!!!!

Comment by sweety – November 22, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone
    and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now broken and
    she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share