Ratings: Almost Human Settles, Castle Ticks Down, Hostages Dips to New Low

Ratings Almost Human MondayThe time slot premiere of Fox’s Almost Human drew 6.6 million total viewers and a 2.3 rating on Monday night, per finals, down a somewhat expected 26  percent from its NFL-assisted Sunday launch but more or less on par with what Bones last did in the time slot (7.4 mil/2.0).

Leading out of that, Sleepy Hollow did 7.1 mil/2.5, adding a few eyeballs but down a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Recap: Horseman, Thy Name Is…

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 10 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

UPDATED: With football subtracted from the inflated fast nationals, Dancing With the Stars wound up with 13.8 mil and a 2.0, up 10 and 18 percent week-to-week, while Castle got pushed down to 11 mil/1.9, up in audience but dipping a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Dead Ringers — AKA the Best Episode of the Season

The Voice‘s recap thingy opened NBC’s night with 7.6 mil/2.3, while the two-hour live show drew 10.8 mil/3.5.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Sleepy. Hollow.

CBS’ comedy line-up across the board matched last week’s numbers — How I Met Your Mother (8.1 mil/3.1), 2 Broke Girls (7.9 mil/2.7), Mike & Molly (8.1 mil/2.3) and Mom (6.8 mil/1.9), while Hostages (4.5 mil/1.0) dipped a tenth opposite stronger NBC competition.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.03 mil/0.3) and Beauty and the Beast (680K/0.3) each lost a handful of eyeballs while flat in the demo.

1. Reddog says:

Hart of Dixie got 10 Million viewers? I didn’t think that many people total watched the CW.

2. Fernando says:

Maybe Almost Human should stick on Sundays it might just make 9 to 8 million each week and it goes well with football. Give back bones it’s Monday spot and ten fox could have a winning night on Monday n sunday

• Mike says:

Great news for Castle, that episode alone should rise next weeks. I agree about Bones moving back. FOX seems to be clueless, as do many schedulers. What strikes me is that networks do not see that alternative program from other networks can help them. Bones fit well with Castle on Mondays, they share many of the same audience, which makes Monday a night to sit down and watch. Why Fox does not pair Bones up with The New Girl and and another Comedy is beyond me? Then put Sleepy Hollow with the Following together, it would give them market share on two nights. It just seems dumb to ignore what other networks have on and worry about just your own schedule. For example why NBC runs any comedy against the the Big Bang Theory makes no sense, think of the person who has a remote.

3. Beauty and the Beast (700K/0.3)

Wow. That’s a sad number for a TV show.

• Eric7740 says:

Thats 90210/Gossip Girl bad/sad numbers.

• Alichat says:

And the writing. Last night’s ep was ridiculous and for a show that’s about a woman in love with a guy jacked up with animal DNA, that’s saying a lot.

• Francine says:

I agree with Alichat. I don’t think the timeslot is the issue here. I don’t think moving it anywhere else is going to help at all. I wanted to keep watching it but its just too bad now.

• Ray says:

Serves the CW right for canceling a legitimately well performing show like Secret Circle for that crap.

• Temperance says:

To me, it means it’s about a million times more interesting than any procedural, fireman, or cop show in existence.

• I’ve only just started watching this season, so I can’t comment on the merits or flaws of last night’s episode. I just know that the series has potential, and lots of it. I personally envision it as a “Beauty & The Beast Begins/Year One” show that is building up to becoming more like the original series, with the clear difference that Catherine is par of the genesis of the underground world.

I can see the show building up to the reveal of the existence of other beasts, and other people that were experimented on. I can see it it building JT to take on the role of “Father” given that he is the scientist, the scholar. And given that Vincent is still mutating, I can see him becoming more beastly like the Perlman version was.

All of that can come together to form the basis for the underground society. As JT and Vincent find and shelter more and more of these beasts/victims of genetic engineering, they might find themselves forced to move deeper and deeper underground, until they find the catacombs beneath the city.

THAT’S what I’d like this show to be about.

• Dani says:

That’s right! The CW isn’t able to get some decent numbers on that night since the seventh season of “One Tree Hill” four years ago. Monday is the new Sunday for The CW. And that’s sad because “Hart of Dixie” and “Beauty of the Beast” don’t deserve these low numbers.

• Neethi says:

Timeslot can be blamed for low ratings but not the loss of viewers. This same time slot drew 0.90m viewers at the beginning of the season. Still pathetic I know but it’s gone down even lower and that’s on the writers not the time slot. We need to stop covering up the fact that this season does not have what the fans loved about the show by blaming the timeslot all the time.

• Kat says:

The “Problem” with BatB might be this season that Canada airs the episodes 1 day early and a lot of people just go with those and watch it from Canada instead of waiting for the US airing…

• Castle has that same problem.

• Temperance says:

Agreed. I watch that pair of shows on Sunday nights. but hey, I gave up on almost all live TV anyway because I work ‘afternoons’.

• Rich Abey says:

Amen to that indeed. Still Castle has better ratings & viewer no’s so far this season compared to last season, so imagine how the ratings would be if CTV hadn’t decided to air episodes 1 whole day in advance in Canada. The thing with this early airing is that the episodes go online way before the Monday night airing in the US..meaning even more people in the US watch it before the live airing. So all in all, the uber fans do stay faithful and turn up on Monday nights but the rest either don’t turn up or watch only the first half hr. Considering that the networks, ABC in this case, are always looking to improve ratings & viewer no’s of their shows, I am baffled as to why ABC decided to let CTV go ahead with this schedule..then again ABC hasn’t always cared much about Castle in the first place!

• Ellie says:

You all severely overestimate the number of people who are watching this show online. Not to mention that it doesn’t matter unless you are a Nielsen household anyway. I highly doubt that Nielsen viewers would chose to watch online knowing how important live viewing is to the show.

4. atxnole says:

Almost Human is one of the best new shows I’ve seen in quite a few seasons. I hope those numbers are good enough for it to stick around for quite awhile. I can imagine the budget is quite high..

5. Fran says:

Settle is a funny word choice, since it’s only the very first episode on that night (second overall) and it dropped pretty much a point from the pilot.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Drops” is also a funny word, since there was no realistic expectation that ALMOST HUMAN wouldn’t, self-starting the night and without an NFL lead-in.

6. tp says:

Beauty and the Beast is about to lose another pair of eyeballs if they bring in that chick to cause problems.

• Lisa London says:

It’s losing mine for sure. That show is so poorly acted and the plots are so ridiculous, the eye candy is not enough to keep me watching anymore!

• Jax says:

There is plenty of eye candy on TV and a lot of it on shows that are actually good. No need to subject yourself to this show any longer!

• Georgia Madman says:

Another whiny shipper. Boring. Give Tori a chance — she might get Gabe to stop humping Cat’s leg.

7. Apples says:

Even if Castle adjusts down to a 2.0 or 2.1, that’s still excellent given it was up against the behemoth that is The Voice.
    A well deserved performance for the best episode of the season so far.
    I’m surprised by how much AH fell…

8. Kristine S. says:

I’m loving Almost Human! If Fox kills this one before it has a chance to establish itself, I will write Fox off forever.

9. D.W. says:

I liked Almost Human too…and the second episode was better than the pilot, in my opinion.If it can stay in the low 2., or (maybe) adjust up to 2.4, it will be good. Lets see how it does next week.

10. dan says:

Our cable went out at 10:50 pm (EST). What happened during the last 10 minutes of Hostages (I’m one of the few people still watching)?

• Daniel says:

So am I! I actually like the show!
      You did miss quite a lot, actually. Hoffman was eventually murdered by Logan, who made it look like a robbery. Also, at a cermony, Quentin drank a glass of wine which apparantly had some kind of poison in it (given to him by Blair and Vanessa). He suffered a heart attack so he is also dead.
      Then, in the end, Ellen got the results of the president’s blood. She discovered he had the same, very rare blood type as Nina (Duncan’s wife). So Ellen confronts Duncan, and he tells her that his wife is the president’s daughter. However, the president doesn’t know she is alive and if he would, he would kill her!

11. Jon says:

The second episode of Almost Human was a snoozefest in comparison to the premiere.

12. Lambsilencer says:

CBS should tell producers to wrap the story up after the 13 episodes it initially got. That way the network could cancel it and still offer closure to the people who stuck with it. NBC did that with “Kidnapped” a few years back, and in the end, it felt like a neatly wrapped up limited series.

13. I’m loving Almost Human, and am happy to see Sleepy Hollow improving on its numbers. Hopefully both shows continuing to pull in viewers and have long, healthy runs. :)

14. lame says:

As much as many fans complain, the dark themed episodes of Castle score huge numbers. The complexity of “Disciple” and the fact that the entire ensemble got its turn in front of the camera, was fabulous to witness. I’m not suggesting that Castle goes the Beauty and the Beast route, where after the first five episodes the series went to the dark story line and stayed there. But “Disciple” was unbelievably good. Still waiting to see an episode that gives us a detailed back story of Javi Esposito and one for Victoria Gates and of course Lanie Parish, no need bringing in new characters when you haven’t scratched the surface with the people you have, and we already superficially know.

• Michael says:

Castle’s ratings will be adjusted down. It was pre-empted in Boston and Charlotte because of the Patriots/Panthers game. I read something that said that’s 3% of the audience potential. So getting all excited about ratings for one episode, dark episode or not, is meaningless. I’ll laugh if the show comes at 2.0 for the night.

• Mary says:

Well, it was a 1.9…but being preempted in Charlotte and Boston and facing The Voice, I don´t think it´s a reason to laugh.

15. Dav says:

Still to early to tell for Almost Human but a 2.2 is a decent number for Fox.

16. Babygate says:

I don’t know how Castle does it but it is actually getting better and better with time. The chemistry between Beckett and Castle is just as fresh and magnetic as it was in the beginning. The fact that they finally got together has done nothing to diminish that. And the cases are always developed in great, plausible ways. Kudos to ABC and the show runners. This was an excellent episode and next week’s looks hilarious as well. At this rate, Castle could go on for several more seasons. Even though it is not a behemoth in the ratings, it is solid and steady and it gets the biggest viewership of all ABC dramas.

• lupe says:

I agree with you babygates and apples:)

• Rich Abey says:

Spot on! Yes Castle is not a behemoth but still it has averaged over 12 million plus viewers (with DVR) over the past 2 seasons and is among the top 10 most watched TV programs on US television, including Superball, NFL & all those sports programs. Hence the term ‘behemoth’ is merely a matter of perspective!

17. Pep says:

I love everything about Almost Human but Minka Kelly’s horrible and flat acting.

18. BC40Something says:

I love it when Castle becomes dark. I know this storyline if very far from over. I can’t wait to see what happens. If the Castle creators follow what they’ve done in the past with the darker episodes, there’s a “goofball” episode in the near future to offset it.

With Almost Human. I really try not to make judgements until I’ve seen the 2nd episode since the pilots can be on the shelf for a bit before they’re picked up and then they get “fiddled with” for the second or third episode. This time in the first 5 minutes of episode 2 was, I love it!! Great series. Urban and Ealy have great chemistry. I can’t wait to see what happens. Fox is gonna move it to Friday and then cancel it for sure (Yes, I’m still choked about Firefly). I really hope they give Almost Human a solid chance.

19. JulieAnn says:

Matt, are these numbers correct? Because I read Almost Human had a 2.0, and 0.2 in this bussiness is a lot.

20. Paul8148 says:

Wish Mom was doing better in the ratings, but I think it get a secon season since Jannings is a lock to win supporting actress emmy

21. Jenn says:

Once the DVR figures are calculated in Castle will definitely get a huge bump up. With a large fan base in New England that was watching the game people DVR’d their favorites. I’m sitting down right now getting ready to watch it :)

22. Nerona says:

Estoy tan enojada con el robo de hoy a Castle en el rating……es imposible ese ajuste de 2.3 a 1.9…..es un robo descarado
    Maldito ABC

23. Karen MT says:

It really doesn’t help that NFL was shown on ABC in the Charlotte area. I apparently have to wait until Sunday 2pm to watch Castle. Grr.

24. Mary says:

Being preempted in 2 big markets (how I hate football) and facing The Voice, I´d say a 1.9 for Castle isn´t that bad. Of course I wish it would be better, particulary because it was such a great episode, but under the circinstances:(

25. Trish says:

I am so excited Nikita came back on, love this show.

26. lame says:

Here’s hoping Andrew Marlowe is reading the horrible reaction to the reveal of Red John on the Mentalists. The revelation of Johanna Beckett’s murder better be good, really good and not to long in coming. Marlowe has the luxury of having the vile 3XK still in the wind to carry on. The best possible outcome would be to have Jerry Tyson kill William Brackens and frame Beckett for the murder. Then we’d never know why Johanna was killed and no one would be disappointed. The anger would be shifted to 3XK who would then shoot Castle while Beckett was under house arrest and the only person who could come to the rescue would be Jackson Hunter and he would do so in the cold blooded manner we would all expect and the he’d disappear.