Necessary Roughness Sacked by USA Network

Necessary Roughness It’s game over for Necessary Roughness

USA Network on Tuesday announced that it will not be renewing the ratings-challenged gridiron drama for a fourth season.

RELATED | 2014 Network Renewal Scorecard

“We are proud of this show and its writers, which had a unique ability to address topical subjects before they unfolded in real life on the sports pages,” the cabler said in a statement. “We want to thank Liz Kruger and Craig Shapiro, the incredible cast led by Golden Globe nominee Callie Thorne and our partners at Sony Television.”

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect this news.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations

1. Leola says:

So bummed! Boooo USA, that was a fun, sexy show.

2. wordsmith says:

Argh. I really enjoyed this show. It wasn’t as action-packed as Covert Affairs or as sharply written as Suits or as loveable as Royal Pains, but it carved out its own intriguing little niche.

3. Kat says:

USA is cutting all its best shows, boooo.

4. Carmen says:

I loved this show. It was so original, unlike most other shows…Great writing and cast with amazing chemistry between leads… It will be missed. At least we got DaNico together.

5. Lorena says:

At least we had our Nico and Danny hook up

6. ajintexas says:

Of all the USA shows, I am still a season and a half behind on this one because I just lost interest. At least now there is no need to catch up. If it was realy that good I would have kept up anyway.

7. Kristopher says:

I actually watched this season when I heard they made some changes. I actually enjoyed it after skipping the season before. Was actually hoping to see it picked up

8. thankfully canceled. Should have been done after season 2. Lost its voice was unwatchable last season.

9. wrstlgirl says:

LOL, there alway has to be one who thrives on rubbing salt in everyone’s wounds. Must really make them feel a great sense of accomplishment.

10. Alichat says:

Like I said….no Blucas, me no watchy. Guess I wasn’t the only person that didn’t like the revamp.

• DCB says:

You were not the only one! I stopped watching after they got rid of Marc Blucas. I was never a fan of NICO and Dani together.

11. Babygate says:

This last season was so much better. Really like John Stamos in the cast. I guess it just couldn’t recover. At least we got Nico and Dani together.

12. GeoDiva says:

Bummed, but not surprised.

13. Jamie says:

I’m truly saddened by this news. This was truly a wonderful show and honestly, USA never backed it the way they should have. It was witty, on point with current events, wonderfully acted. I can’t express how sad I am that I will never again be able to escape with this wonderful show. Thank you writers and actors for a wonderful experience.

14. Elaine says:

This one bums me out.

15. J.Norman says:

It wasn’t bad, but I could never really get into it. I would watch upon occasion but It was not a show I would search out to watch on line or otherwise if I missed it.

16. Kristin says:

I just want to know how Nico had all that money!

17. Diane says:

I stopped watching this season. Season 1 was great, but it lost its’ way somewhere in season 2.

18. Britt says:

I’m going to miss this show. I agree that the end of the second season and the third season weren’t as great as the first one. Once they started to get rid of characters like Dani’s kids and she went to the agency, the show went downhill. Also I hated that Marc’s character got that girl pregnant and then married her. I kind of knew after all those things, that the show probably won’t last much longer unfortunately.

19. tp says:

Damnitalltohell!! I loved me some Dani, Nico and T.K. Now we won’t get to see what happened once Nico and Dani got off the plane back to reality.

20. CJ says:

It was a sweet little show while it lasted, but I didn’t like the format change very much this season. It wrapped up quite nicely so it’s not as upsetting as it might have been otherwise. I feel like it ran its course, and now is a good time to end it. I’ll miss Scott Cohen and Callie Thorne on my TV every week though.

21. Kristina says:

Really bummed. I know the ratings weren’t great, but the show really picked up in the third season

22. Avinash says:

Son of a B****.

23. Tahoe Mike says:

Bummer, I liked this show. I hoped it would get back to being more about football, but I’m sorry to see it go.

24. John says:

Liked the show better in earlier years but it was still a fun ride.

25. Doug H says:

Not too shocked that it got sacked but they did do some stuff that was ahead of real life especially in season 2 with the gay QB…

26. Danielle says:

Once Marc Blucas was gone, the show sucked. Loved the first 2 seasons, but this third one … ugh.

27. Monieet says:

Another good show cancelled. Please get picked up by another network.

28. Rachel says:

That’s a shame, I loved that show! TK was awesome, and John Stamos was a great addition.

29. RS says:

Probably couldn’t recognize the new female lead after her facework and had to cancel because they didn’t know where Callie was.

30. sarah says:

I like John Stamos but when he came on and Marc Blucas was kicked off I stopped watching!

31. Nara says:

Alas. I will miss this show. I was a fan for all 3 seasons. Where can I catch those actors now? Nico, Dani and TK – we will miss you!

32. Maria says:

I’ll miss it, but then again I liked it better with Marc Blucas anyway.

33. John Moshier says:

don’t worry calle will find a new home shes to hot not to

34. CBWBDK1 says:

Not surprised. When i noticed that they changed the final scene i knew it was going to be cancelled. There was no cliffhanger. You could tell it was the series finale.

35. m says:

Very good show! Loved Thorne, Blucas, & “Nico”. Great to see psychotherapy on the big screen done so well. Sorry to see it go!

36. Debby Van Sant says:

USA NETWORK you need to rethink this one….

37. Josh Adams says:

I liked Callie Thorne…as a villain on Burn Notice. But for me, that’s what she’s good at (that is, being a villain) and I just couldn’t watch a show with her in a protagonist role. And so, as much as I love USA original shows, this is one of 2 that I have never watched (with the other being Common Law which came and went before I ever even really knew it). Maybe I’m the only one but my feeling is that the show might be good but the lead is all wrong (with no personal offense to Callie Thorne intended; I’m sure she’s a nice lady).

38. nsd40306 says:

I loved Necessary Roughness and I’m totally heartbroken to lose this entertaining show with a touch of football… and now more sports… Oh. No sports… No show! Bummed!!!!

39. tanya says:

Loved Necessary Roughness and Glades. What happened to entertain mentioned vs ridiculous reality shows