Necessary Roughness Sacked by USA Network

Get More: Cancellations

Necessary Roughness It’s game over for Necessary Roughness

USA Network on Tuesday announced that it will not be renewing the ratings-challenged gridiron drama for a fourth season.

RELATED | 2014 Network Renewal Scorecard

“We are proud of this show and its writers, which had a unique ability to address topical subjects before they unfolded in real life on the sports pages,” the cabler said in a statement. “We want to thank Liz Kruger and Craig Shapiro, the incredible cast led by Golden Globe nominee Callie Thorne and our partners at Sony Television.”

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect this news.

Comments (41)

• So bummed! Boooo USA, that was a fun, sexy show.

Comment by Leola – November 19, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Argh. I really enjoyed this show. It wasn’t as action-packed as Covert Affairs or as sharply written as Suits or as loveable as Royal Pains, but it carved out its own intriguing little niche.

Comment by wordsmith – November 19, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA is cutting all its best shows, boooo.

Comment by Kat – November 19, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show. It was so original, unlike most other shows…Great writing and cast with amazing chemistry between leads… It will be missed. At least we got DaNico together.

Comment by Carmen – November 19, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least we had our Nico and Danny hook up

Comment by Lorena – November 19, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the USA shows, I am still a season and a half behind on this one because I just lost interest. At least now there is no need to catch up. If it was realy that good I would have kept up anyway.

Comment by ajintexas – November 19, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually watched this season when I heard they made some changes. I actually enjoyed it after skipping the season before. Was actually hoping to see it picked up

Comment by Kristopher – November 19, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thankfully canceled. Should have been done after season 2. Lost its voice was unwatchable last season.

Comment by Wink Martindale (@mrmcc209) – November 19, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, there alway has to be one who thrives on rubbing salt in everyone’s wounds. Must really make them feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 19, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like I said….no Blucas, me no watchy. Guess I wasn’t the only person that didn’t like the revamp.

Comment by Alichat – November 19, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You were not the only one! I stopped watching after they got rid of Marc Blucas. I was never a fan of NICO and Dani together.

Comment by DCB – November 20, 2013 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This last season was so much better. Really like John Stamos in the cast. I guess it just couldn’t recover. At least we got Nico and Dani together.

Comment by Babygate – November 19, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummed, but not surprised.

Comment by GeoDiva – November 19, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m truly saddened by this news. This was truly a wonderful show and honestly, USA never backed it the way they should have. It was witty, on point with current events, wonderfully acted. I can’t express how sad I am that I will never again be able to escape with this wonderful show. Thank you writers and actors for a wonderful experience.

Comment by Jamie – November 19, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This one bums me out.

Comment by Elaine – November 19, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t bad, but I could never really get into it. I would watch upon occasion but It was not a show I would search out to watch on line or otherwise if I missed it.

Comment by J.Norman – November 19, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to know how Nico had all that money!

Comment by Kristin – November 19, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching this season. Season 1 was great, but it lost its’ way somewhere in season 2.

Comment by Diane – November 19, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to miss this show. I agree that the end of the second season and the third season weren’t as great as the first one. Once they started to get rid of characters like Dani’s kids and she went to the agency, the show went downhill. Also I hated that Marc’s character got that girl pregnant and then married her. I kind of knew after all those things, that the show probably won’t last much longer unfortunately.

Comment by Britt – November 19, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damnitalltohell!! I loved me some Dani, Nico and T.K. Now we won’t get to see what happened once Nico and Dani got off the plane back to reality.

Comment by tp – November 19, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a sweet little show while it lasted, but I didn’t like the format change very much this season. It wrapped up quite nicely so it’s not as upsetting as it might have been otherwise. I feel like it ran its course, and now is a good time to end it. I’ll miss Scott Cohen and Callie Thorne on my TV every week though.

Comment by CJ – November 19, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really bummed. I know the ratings weren’t great, but the show really picked up in the third season

Comment by Kristina – November 19, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Son of a B****.

Comment by Avinash – November 19, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, I liked this show. I hoped it would get back to being more about football, but I’m sorry to see it go.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – November 19, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked the show better in earlier years but it was still a fun ride.

Comment by John – November 19, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not too shocked that it got sacked but they did do some stuff that was ahead of real life especially in season 2 with the gay QB…

Comment by Doug H – November 19, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Marc Blucas was gone, the show sucked. Loved the first 2 seasons, but this third one … ugh.

Comment by Danielle – November 19, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another good show cancelled. Please get picked up by another network.

Comment by Monieet – November 19, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame, I loved that show! TK was awesome, and John Stamos was a great addition.

Comment by Rachel – November 20, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably couldn’t recognize the new female lead after her facework and had to cancel because they didn’t know where Callie was.

Comment by RS – November 20, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • holy crap i just noticed that. that picture looks nothing like Callie

Comment by ggny – November 20, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really bad PhotoShop job.

Comment by John 1138 – November 20, 2013 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like John Stamos but when he came on and Marc Blucas was kicked off I stopped watching!

Comment by sarah – November 20, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alas. I will miss this show. I was a fan for all 3 seasons. Where can I catch those actors now? Nico, Dani and TK – we will miss you!

Comment by Nara – November 20, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss it, but then again I liked it better with Marc Blucas anyway.

Comment by Maria – November 20, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t worry calle will find a new home shes to hot not to

Comment by John Moshier – November 20, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. When i noticed that they changed the final scene i knew it was going to be cancelled. There was no cliffhanger. You could tell it was the series finale.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – November 20, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good show! Loved Thorne, Blucas, & “Nico”. Great to see psychotherapy on the big screen done so well. Sorry to see it go!

Comment by m – November 21, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA NETWORK you need to rethink this one….

Comment by Debby Van Sant – November 23, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Callie Thorne…as a villain on Burn Notice. But for me, that’s what she’s good at (that is, being a villain) and I just couldn’t watch a show with her in a protagonist role. And so, as much as I love USA original shows, this is one of 2 that I have never watched (with the other being Common Law which came and went before I ever even really knew it). Maybe I’m the only one but my feeling is that the show might be good but the lead is all wrong (with no personal offense to Callie Thorne intended; I’m sure she’s a nice lady).

Comment by Josh Adams – November 26, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Necessary Roughness and I’m totally heartbroken to lose this entertaining show with a touch of football… and now more sports… Oh. No sports… No show! Bummed!!!!

Comment by nsd40306 – February 20, 2014 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post