NCIS: Your First Impression of Ellie Bishop?

NCIS Ziva's Replacement Ellie BishopCBS’ NCIS, being TV’s most watched drama, embarked on a bold move this Tuesday night by laying the groundwork for a new addition to Gibbs’ team: NSA analyst Ellie Bishop (played by Emily Wickersham). Did the newcomer make a solid first impression?

RELATED | NCIS Season 11 Spoilers — A Blast from Gibbs’ Past!

Though the Oklahoma-bred, food-associating, married info-sponge with three older brothers and not-quite-“Kate-good” drawing skills merely consulted for NCIS in her intro episode, by the end of the hour Gibbs had invited her to work alongside DiNozzo, McGee et all on a full-time basis.

Originally booked for a three-episode look-see, Wickersham was promoted to series regular ahead of her on-screen debut because, as show boss Gary Glasberg explained to us, he and the network brass saw in her early episodes “moments and scenes and a connection with our characters that we all really responded  — emotional moments, fun moments, funny moments that were all there.

“Once we started to see it all come together,” he continued, “the enthusiasm just skyrocketed [and] everyone agreed that we needed to act on it.”

RELATED | NCIS Boss Previews Three Returns and More

But now you get to have your say. Vote in our poll and share your thoughts on the new gal in Comments.

1. analythinker says:

I’m not a fanatic of this show. I loved Kate. I loved Ziva. And I love Bishop. I would love to see Ziva or even Kate (somehow) to come back, but I wouldn’t mind if Bishop lasts.

2. Bob Smith says:

Enjoyed Bishop immensely! Great move to an already great show!

3. Georgia says:

I think she will bring a freshness to the show which it has been lacking this season. I really liked Ziva but this season I felt Cote’s heart was not in the role. I also was not really for the romance between Tony and Ziva, I felt it compromised the integrity of the team. No matter what I Love NCIS and watch it forever.

4. Dianne says:

Haven’t decided about Bishop, but I don’t like the way the writers are taking Tony. Seem to be moving towards some bizarre psychological meltdown.

5. Heidi says:

Refreshing! Loved her “Don’t quote lines to me about Oklahoma”, to Tony. She’s quirky, smart and rather brilliant. I love the expression Gibbs gets on his face around her, almost like a father at one time proud, next frustrated, indulgent and then amused. I think this is what’s been needed for a long time. Hopefully, she’s too young for Tony to hit on and when he tries, she either play dumb or knock him back in his can verbally. Great casting job.

• NoChance says:

Tony doesn’t “hit on” married women. Remember he ended it right quick when he found out “Monica” was married back in Season 3.

6. angie says:

Bishop was a joke , in what universe does Abby simply let “just anyone” into her “family” much less her lab..The writers had Gibbs looking like a drooling idiot. Any other agent that disregarded ORDERS while the stakeout was going on, would have been sent packing. Diane Neal would have made a PERFECT fit, she had a great backstory & is actually a Woman not a child who has to food associate to do her work . Maybe she would be a good fit on NCIS: New Orleans but not now & not her on this show.

• John 1138 says:

Bishop wasn’t in his chain of command so some confusion about following his direction would be normal… plus as a desk bound analyst jumping just because some other agency member says frog isn’t going to be there. “Packing”? You can’t fire someone who isn’t yours, neither, inn fact, can you “order” them…

Granted her opponent being so clumsy as to fall over his own feet and knock them both down while losing his gun was useful….. sometimes you’re good and sometimes you’re just lucky. She got lucky.

Abby’s a quick read, she’s reacted fast to others in the past,.

Borin would be fun, and that door’s not at all been closed.

• BJG says:

When did she disregard orders but then again she doesn’t report to Gibbs.

• crazyhazy says:

Ziva disregarded orders a few times also and wasn’t sent packing think they swept that under the rug as well, buT guess Ziva is the only one who can do those things huh. Loved Bishop, she”s great

7. The obvious NSA propaganda was hard to swallow. Is america really dumb enough to fall for this PR. Bishop could be from any Gov agency and we would love her character, but the NSA?! Really!!!???

8. Ange says:

I like Ziva…felt she was unique. She was nothing like Kate. I however was not one of those who said I would not watch after Cote decided to leave (and because I was not a Tiva fan, I’m happy she decided to leave). That being said, I actually in this episode think I like Bishop more. She is completely different than Kate and Ziva, which she should be. And I love Tim and Tony’s reaction to her. She also seemed to immediately jell with Abby which is not easy. If they continue writing for her as they did tonight, I think this will work.

9. Diggy says:

Ziva fans – Cote de Pablo left of her own volition. The show is now a decade old & can certainly use some new blood which the Bishop character nicely represents, IMO. Just from one episode, I can see why the show runners decided to make her permanent. Should add an interesting & fun set of colors to the pallet. #GiveItUp & #KateWasBetter

• Lia says:

The #KatewasBetter has no part in anything. I’m a Kate and a Ziva fan, but I think that Ellie acts like a child. Nothing against Emily Wickersham, and I WAS extremely looking forward to who they brought in. But I didn’t like it.

10. Betty from Bolingbrook Il. I liked Bishop she was different and interesting but she is not Ziva. Ziva was not a great actress and I really believe she will not make it on her own show . You need to bring her back, as there will never be the romance chemistry ever again like there was between her and Tony. This needs to be dealt with and they need to get together once and for all. Bishop could be kept on and that would add a rivalry for Tony which would also add to the romantic side of the story. Also it would be nice if you could incorporate a little romantic adventure with Abbey and Tim. All these would be added anticipation to the show and make viewers anxious for the next episode. I hope someone from the show reads this and takes my ideas seriously as Ziva did bring in a lot of the foreign viewers as well she should, and the lack of romance on the show makes it a little same old thing each episode. Please e-mail me to let me know what your thoughts are.Anxiously waiting your reply

11. Dj says:

I liked her. But then again I was pretty bored with ZIva the last 6 season so I am happy that the show got some new blood in it to shake things up a little. It will be fun seeing Bishop fit in with the team.

12. Molly Harper says:

I loved Bishop immediately. It took me a while to warm up to Ziva and I never really got the sense of fun and team chemistry with her that I got from Bishop in the first few minutes. Loved her interaction with Gibbs. Loved that Tony did not react to her in as a potential conquest. She’s a keeper.

13. Judith Gillen says:

My husband and I both cannot stand the new character, Ellie Bishop, on “NCIS.” Really need to replace her, or we will not see the rest of the season and we have watched for 11 years.

• BJ says:

She’s been announced as a series regular, its too bad you’ll be missing the rest of the season.

• John 1138 says:

Well, times change. Good luck with your new choices.

• Erin says:

My general impression was that Ellie Bishop/Emily Wikersham was a delightful breath of fresh air. I do think that the writers and ptb tried a little too hard to make us be impressed and accept her, and I hope in the upcoming episodes that she can be a good team member, rather than constantly showing her as the most intelligent new super star. I fear that they will fall into the habit of relegating Tony back to butt monkey status and glue McGee to his computer chair, so that we can be treated to how uniquely indispensable Ellie is. I want to see a team member, not a one person wonder woman. (We’ve had that for the last 5 years and frankly, I don’t need a Mary Sue to understand that woman can be valuable) I really hope all of Tony’s recent OOC oddities will amount to more than another blurrily defined joke. I’m so tired of Tony being used to prop up other characters, and I guess my biggest fear with Ellie, is that Tony will be back to butt monkey status in order to highlight her awesomeness. I just don’t think it shows much confidence in her, or Gibbs for that matter, if Tony has to be demeaned in order for them to seem overly worthy.

• cmaglaughlin says:

Gee, I bet your friends and family feel the same about you!

• NoChance says:

TV Line announced that Ms Wickersham was signed as a series regular on November 4. Here’s the link to the announcement. http://tvline.com/2013/11/04/ncis-season-11-ziva-replacement-emily-wickersham-series-regular/
      When Ms de Pablo was made a series regular back in season three her episodes hadn’t aired yet either to “gauge fan reaction” so this wasn’t a move without precedence.

14. Grumpycat says:

The new character is almost as bad as Samantha Ryan and just as annoying. What were TPTB thinking?! NCIS is so boring and dumbed down now that I will no longer watch it. Thanks for ruining a great show!

15. Loki says:

Too improbable. Too young to be an agent. Sort of like Dougie Howser joins NCIS. The formula for that show has become exceedingly stale, and I’m done with it. It’s been removed from by series DVR schedule.

• Marissa says:

How old do you think NCIS agents need to be? She certainly looks in her late twenties at minimum, unlike ZIva who was only 21-22 when she came to NCIS, with military service, college, and years running Mossad operations under her belt.

• John 1138 says:

Late twenties would be my estimate. Postgraduate work since the NSA doesn’t hire analysts out if kindergarten, then having unsuccessfully applied to NCIS, possibly due to no cop experience, she spends some years at NSA. 27 , 28 or more.

• BJG says:

But I’m sure you accepted the fact that Ziva was a seasoned Mossad operative at her young age. Ellie Bishop is probably in her late 20’s or early 30’s, same as Ziva. Again, did you have a problem with her??

• NoChance says:

She’s applied to work for NCIS “years ago” and has been with the NSA for 2 years so she’s not as young as she looks. Besides, Ziva had already served in the Israeli army, graduated from college, trained with Mossad and Kidon, done missions in Europe, South America and in the Middle-East and been promoted to handler all by the time she was 22 so Agent Bishop being in her mid to late 20s isn’t a stretch.

16. Irishelf says:

2nd worse decision TPTB made this season (the first being trying to bully Cote into signing a 3 year contract when everyone else had 2 year contracts and then treating her like crap when she stood her ground and said no). Why did they sign on a new actress as a regular without seeing if fans would like her? From what I’ve seen in reviews since her character aired, most people do not like her. She fits in as well as Homer Simpson would fit into Mensa. The new character had no chemistry with any of the other actors on the show. Her character added no new skills, so she really wasn’t needed. Character was annoying and boring at the same time. I think they need to reassess the situation-fire Emily and beg Cote to come back, even if she’s only willing to sign a one year contract. NCIS has been going downhill since Cote’s departure (I don’t believe the ratings for one minute-I think they are rigged, since almost everyone I’ve talked to about the show either stopped watching after the 3rd episode, or watched in ways that wouldn’t be reflected in the ratings) and adding this horrible character just made the situation worse!

• BJG says:

I have no idea what show you are watching and what sites you are using to say most fans don’t like her. Just look at the poll on this site and 83% of the people love/like her with only 17% not liking her. And where are you getting this information that CBS bullied CdP? I feel you forget that this is a business and CBS will do what they think is best for them and the show, not CdP or any other actor. And wait, didn’t CBS sign CdP without seeing if the fans would like her?? Yeah, they did. We got 3 episodes to mourn the death of Kate, and I’m talking DEAD, Shot in the Head. Not a character that left the team without even a goodbye and did it for Gibbs sake, not for the beloved Tiva. And I bet that you are one of the same people that used to throw it in the Anti-Ziva/Tiva fans that Shiva’s is the highest rated episode of NCIS and now the ratings are rigged? And you also fail to realize that if the people you’ve been talking too are NOT Nielson viewers then them stopping after the 3rd episode mean NOTHING to the ratings.

• Marissa says:

This is the propaganda the abusive Bring Back Cote people are vomiting up. Poor Cote was victimized by big bad mean TV conglomerate. They can’t accept that whatever Cote negotiated wasn’t favorable to CS and vice versa. The international audience, of which most of the BBC people are,has never mattered to the ratings. They watch in a manner that is illegal (downloading or live streaming) so their ratings don’t even matter when the episodes air in their countries.

• NoChance says:

I hadn’t thought about that, Marissa – that the international viewers who are watching right away are doing so illegally. I’m not quite the techno virgin that Gibbs is but I guess I thought they had an above board way to pay for it the way I do (by paying for cable) here in the USA.
          I keeps seeing one woman on another site saying that she’s not watching but she sure knows a lot of details for someone who claims this so I can only guess that she’s all words and no action even as she tries to get other people not to watch.

• Marissa says:

If its not airing live in your country, that is the only option. I understand many use live streaming outlets, or download the episodes on torrents after the episode airs. Neither have any impact on ratngs.

• Marissa says:

Greetings, resident of planet delusion. Are the Neilsens also in on the conspiracy? Does it go as high as perhaps Obama and the NSA? Is Les Moonves stabbing pins into his Cote doll while weeping into his tea at the horrible turn NCIS has taken because poor Cote CHOSE to leave? Is it at all possible that Cote isn’t as valued a commodity to the overall viewership as she is to her slavering fangirls? You all spout such outrageous, and unfounded, conspiracies that it has become great water-cooler gossip and little else. Look at the TV Line and TV Guide polls. Many people are either neutral or like Bishop. And as for the show waiting for fan reaction before signing Emily on, they didn’t wait to see Cote’s approval marks before signing her.

17. Erin says:

Some of the BBC crowd simply don’t bother having any proof for their paranoid conspiracy theories. They have always loved victim Ziva and some seem to have difficulties separating Cote de Pablo from the character she played. It’s much more convenient and self serving for them to assert that she was the poor widdle victim of a good old boy meanie ambush, than that it’s entirely possible she either wanted have a break from a schedule that the rest of the cast sucked up and dealt with because they value being a part of the this show, or that Ms. de Pablo overestimated her importance to the show, played hardball in negotiations, and lost.

As for the rants asserting fixed ratings, again, self serving tantrums thrown by immature people who are unhappy the show hasn’t tanked without their princess.

• Marissa says:

Some also can’t seem to understand that Cote was just not as invested in Tiva or Ziva as they are. Of that this is merely a job for her and not the driving force of every aspect of her life. Or Michael’s for that matter. When Michael did that article comparing Tiva to a VD they acted as if h’d insulted their sister/daughter/best friend personally and went on the attack against him, claiming he was drunk, or a drug abuser.

• NoChance says:

That’s my thought too, Marissa. Being an actor is job and people leave jobs all the time and that’s what Cote did and it was her right to do so. When people leave jobs their positions are often filled and that’s what Emily did.
        The VD comment fell right in line with what Michael always felt about a hookup between Tony and ZIva. And besides, it was about a fictional thing, not a even a fictional character – Tiva wasn’t a person.

18. cherry says:

I liked her, but we have to see how they play the character out. As long that they don’t make her the center of attention like they did ziva, put McGee or anyone else into the background to favor her & make her top billing over Pauley & Sean, i will be some what ok with her. She probably could be good friends with Abby, then Abby ever was with ziva. She never really let anyone get close to her.

19. Jean says:

This character Bishop is like the other NCIS ladies in the sense that she came from another organization and has a quirk as Ziva did. Ziva’s Organization was not in the US hence she was considered foreign. As for Cote de Pablo ever guest staring in NCIS I cannot see it yet but I do think it will come. At present though with ratings at nineteen to twenty million NCIS and CBS will not give a toss about anything.

• Marissa says:

She wasn’t considered foreign she was foreign. And as a foreign national she should never have been given the clearances she’d need to work at NCIS.

20. Leanna says:

I really liked her in the episode and her interaction with the guys (loved the dollar scene!) My one issue is her eyebrows! I know it seems petty, but can we please match the hair with the eyebrows?

21. Zivaforever says:

(sigh) well, i guess she’ll do.

22. Jean says:

Her quirks were the Ziva side of things. Bit of Kate bit of Ziva and a beautiful mind. Blond to which is a change. Does anyone know how old she is?

23. Samantha says:

I really don’t know what to think of Bishop so far.
    I mean, she’s cool and all, it’s just that she seems a little too…perfect. She is smart, able to handle herself, and in the end, saves the day. Everyone else seems like a filler character, with Ellie as the main attraction. I get that this is her first episode, so this was to be expected, but I feel like she was being shoved down my throat.
    I’m also pining for Ziva. I’m still trying to get over Kate’s death, and now Bishop’s replacing Ziva after one episode of screen time. It just seems so forced, and I need some time to breathe and get over it.
    Overall, Ellie Bishop seems cool though. I like her personality and how different she is from Gibbs, with her logic-conquers-all persona. She has potential in NCIS. I’ll certainly keep watching.
    I sincerely do hope she’s married though. I always thought of Kate as having a teasing sibling relationship with Tony, and Ziva as a teasing friend (and, in the end, love interest), and now Ellie just seems like the know-it-all little sister that everybody loves. I hope that’s the direction they take her in, because I can’t even imagine the outrage “Tiva” fans would create if she became yet another love interest.

24. cherry says:

I had just read that we will meet bishop’s husband & maybe her brothers. I am thinking what!!! Look how long it took to meet Gibbs & Tony ‘s father. It took 10 years to see McGee’s father. I would rather see their fathers instead of her family. I also read that McGee is going to have a big part after the holidays. He is going to have to deal with some stuff, as long that it includes Abby.

25. Erin says:

Sometimes I think that Gary Glasburg and company have a limited bag of tricks regarding NCIS. Nearly every other episode involves someone – be it family member – or old acquaintance from someone (usually Gibbs) past. It wouldn’t be a stretch though to me to meet Elli’s husband. I just hope that he’s not a suspect in a case.

The family/acquaintance cases always have the same outcomes though. Abby is undone and daddy Gibbs fixes her. When Gibbs many dips into the past episodes happen, he is of course portrayed as the all knowing hero who must generally suck up some new tragedy. We got a multi episode big bad Mossad daddy Eli/poor victim Ziva episodes every single year. Tony gets to be the butt of the joke each time Senior comes for a visit with a 30 second touching moment at the end, and I guess Tim will now get a yearly tragic family visit as well. So the thought of visits from Ellie’s family members does scare me a little. I wish they weren’t so predictable.

26. seabee says:

I very much enjoyed Ziva even though I liked Kate better. I think that Mrs. Bishop will be a great addition. I continued to watch after Kate and I will after Ziva. I even continued to watch after the shameful treatment of Michelle Lee.

27. To be honest she is good ok?I mean she is not terrible BUT she isn`t Ziva she is just a person who i don`t think can make us love her.Ziva was for 8 years on the show she is part of that and i am not stuck on her i just want the old and good NCIS i want her back.Yes i am a TIVA shipper but doesn`t mean that i hate Bishop.I can`t believe has left but i am sure the show will get her back and she and Tony will be together Gary isn`t stupid she will bring her back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. seabee says:

Can’t wait till she lets Tim know about the StarWars/Trek chairs!

29. Jenna lewis says:

I loved her! An NCIS fan for a decade, I’ve missed Ziva. But I really like this new character. She gave me more than one chuckle this episode, and I can’t wait to see more of her!

30. I love the character they created on NCIS, Ellie Bishop, and the actress is great. I find her to be so funny. She’s a perfect fit for Tony and before we know it their going to be tossing the good ones at each other just he did with Ziva. The one they did with “Oklahoma” showed the chemistry the “bosses” got right. LOL And I love the computer geek connection we see she has that will grow with McGee, and connection she’s already made with Abby. And I “love” the fact she’s got Rules just like Gibbs does, all this makes her perfect for out NCIS family. I look so forward to watching them all get closer and having fun in the future, and I find myself looking forward to our next episode with Bishop.

31. From the pilot to now the NCIS cast and crew have provided me with hours of enjoyment . Each and everyone one of those actors (old and new) can just set there and not say a word and I would continue watching it till the end.

32. sarella says:

quiero que regrese ziva porfavor :( lleguen a un acuerdo :'(

33. Laura says:

Horrible, horrible, horrible. I have watched since the beginning, and “Gibbs” would not put up with her crap for a second! She is not endearing with her quirks, she is obnoxious, arrogant. Please don’t make her a permanent character, bring someone in with some class, but still gutsy!

34. Elizabeth Martin says:

Love the show, love Ziva. That being said I decided to have a open mind about Bishop. Sorry, just don’t like her. She doesn’t seem to fit.

35. The producers must be hooked on this look>>from her eyebrows
    down to her nose Ellie is a clone of Ziva. Same everything…

36. Suzi Lynch says:

I think I could grow to like her if she didn’t speak so quickly with her head down and her lips barely moving. She is very hard to understand and this is true of a lot of the newbie actors out in TV land. Doesn’t anyone test these things?

37. I LOVED her! Ziva is not coming back unless maybe for a brief return in an episode or 2 (if at all) but I really like Bishop! I wasn’t sure at first, thought she was a little bit of a smart alec and maybe even “disturbed” somehow, but I liked the interactions with her and all the other characters – even Abby’s not-so-warm reception of her. She’s just attractive enough to mess with Tony’s mind but savvy enough to get along with everybody and hold her own. But I LOVED how Gibbs reacted to her after a while. He’s not afraid to see a woman as smart and capable, and she really did help with the case. She almost went overboard a couple of times, but every new team member has to find their own place with the others. I look forward to seeing more of her! I wonder, too, if he sees a little bit of Kelly and how she might’ve been had she lived. It’s going to be a great season!

38. Julia Murray says:

It wasn’t so much that I didn’t care for Bishop herself as I didn’t care for the oversell on her in her debut episode. Almost without exception, these people are hostile and suspicious of any other federal agents, particularly ones who try to be part of their team. Yet with Bishop they all smiled indulgently at her and welcomed her with open arms. Has Gary Glasberg ever actually watched the show? I’m starting to think not, because he obviously knows very little about the characters on it.

• Fran says:

Julia, I totally agree with you. She did something and the team just smiled at her. Especially Tony. Where was his snarky witticism? Wasn’t that impressed with her. Loved Kate and Ziva,

39. Tom Webb says:

one thing…..MUSE WATSON

40. Karen Callahan says:

Too soon to tell, but the black eyebrows have to go! Either that or she needs to quit bleaching her hair and go back to a burnette. Those eyebrows are very distracting. They need to work on her character too. I don’t like the fact she doesn’t follow orders that Gibbs gives her. They have her written as a “I can do it all gal”. If so, then why have the rest of the team? She is a computer whiz, so get rid of Tim. She can take down a criminal and can quote movies, so get rid of Tony. She calls the shots and follows her own orders, so get rid of Gibbs. She knows all about Abby’s line of work, so get rid of Abby. I guess we will find out the next episode that she can do autopsies so then they can get rid of Ducky. She will be a one girl NCIS, so get rid of the viewers.

41. bob says:

did not like her ,.chemistry clash with abby I think.The lady who heads the cgis would been a much better fit

42. LaydieG says:

Don’t like her. Won’t watch her. Goodbye, Gibbs, et al. That character sucks. You don’t need her.

43. phil says:

I was not too impressed with the first outing of Bishop but I say “Give the Okie a chance.”

44. Wow. I can’t believe some of these comments. Maybe I was watching a different show… no, Gibbs was there, and Tony, McGee, and Abby, and even Ducky. So yep. Same show. Just different taste and opinions, I guess. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season. :o)

45. And… I see that 46% of people who voted Loved Her!

46. Natasha says:

I didn’t think I would like anyone after Ziva, but bishop is pretty awesome, I really like that she’s younger it sorta give’s younger viewers like me someone they can relate to, plus she has some funny characteristics so I’m really loving her so far!

47. Jean says:

Just to mention that Shiva in fact pulled in 25. something million. At one point in series three- four NCIS was nearly pulled and it took a lot of work from all the actors, including Cote de Pablo to get it were it is today. This actress does not have to very much as she all the NCIS female traits ie she belongs to an organization outside of NCIS and she is part Kate and has a quirk like Ziva.

48. BWC says:

I have watched from day one…loved Kate, took awhile, but began to love Ziva…I liked Bishop from just one episode……come on people, give her a chance!!

49. ELH says:

definitely NOT a hit for the show. She’s too much of the “total package.” They’ve made an attractive, way too smart and way too put together cast member. Next to her, all of the other cast members look second rate. Her character doesn’t have any limitations. It doesn’t fit in with the show.

50. ELH says:

Posting this after Bishop tells Gibbs how to do his job, tells him that he is wrong and tells him what is right. 10-years into the show and this is the first time this has happened. She’s going to break the show like this. Her character doesn’t fit with any other established dynamic.

• John 1138 says:

They carefully showed both Tony and Tim reacting to that so it’s being handled: and breaking new ground doesn’t mean the show get’s broken….

Personally, whatever the source, I’m liking the lighter shows and last night’s was a classic for humor. Pauley had been tweeting about the breakups at the readings for a while and she was right.