Dancing With the Stars Week 10 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS-Maks-Judge-RecapWith the Mirrorball trophy so tantalizingly close that our five remaining celebs (yes, even Bill Engvall) must be clearing mantelpieces in their dreams, Semi-Finals Night on Dancing With the Stars showcased two original dances (to two very different versions of the same song) along with what’s become something of a staple of Season 17 – the guest judge!

Week 10 brought us former pro, occasional bad boy and unflinching heartthrob Maksim Chmerkovskiy – notorious for his own cranky past run-ins with judges – who paddled up right next to former adversaries Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli and Len Goodman.

RELATED | The Voice: Analysis, Advice and Dream Set Lists for the Season 5 Top 10

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Jack Osbourne’s inspired, passionate Argentine tango nabbed two perfect 10’s, and Amber Riley’s epic, graceful Viennese waltz brought Carrie Ann Inaba to tears, earning the 2nd perfect score of the night. But here’s the top dance of the semi-finals:

Corbin Bleu & Karina Smirnoff: Even one extra judge couldn’t stop Corbin’s sexy, sensual and oh-so-shirtless rumba from universally dazzling the judges, earning richly deserved quartet of 10s. (“Your body is a wonderland … I watched like every muscle, I’m so glad you took your shirt off ,” gushed Carrie Ann.) Len described it as “quiet, calm, understated … then loud, full, vibrant … that was a great rumba,” while Bruno summed it up this way: “You really are a virtuoso performer.” Mirrorball alert!

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Nashville, New Girl, Revolution, Supernatural, Glee and More

RUNNER-UP: Amber Riley & Derek Hough: The Glee diva is back in da howse! Her eye-popping, high-octane jazz dance (to Bruno Mars’ “Locked Out of Heaven”) was full of surprising choreography. “I never knew what was going to come next,” said Bruno, “the sync was out of this world…astonishing!” Carrie Ann was so blown away, she inexplicably offered up an Albert Einstein analogy: “It felt like a mathematical equation that just went on and on … and you solved it!” When the paddles spoke, a trio of perfect 10’s (what’s up with the 9, Maks?) spoke volumes about Amber’s Mirrorball chances. It was so good, the usually verbose Len summed it up in three little words: “Do it again!” Let a girl catch her breath, sir!

But now for the moment of truth, tonight’s results:

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Bill Engvall & Emma Slater
Leah Remini & Tony Dovolani

ELIMINATED
Leah Remini & Tony Dovolani

“I have to thank Tony, he’s put in so much work … this has been an amazing experience,” said a gracious Leah, amidst another chorus of very loud boos from a very unhappy ballroom. (Sound familiar?). Added Tony: “I’ve been on this show for 16 seasons … I’ve never looked so forward to practices every single day, this woman would go the extra mile for me.”

Now it’s your turn. Did the right couple go home tonight? Did you like Maks as a guest judge? Who’s the favorite for the Mirrorball trophy? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. skrable2 says:

It’s DANCING with the Stars, not rooting for the nice guy who’s openly a Christian

• TheFactsR says:

• skrable2 says:

This is the 17th season of the show. It has never been about a non-dancer learning and getting better. The “non-dancers” who have won — say Helio Casteneves or Emmitt Smith — at least showed some natural ability and fluidity of movement.

Bill is getting votes for things that have nothing to do with this show

• JBC says:

It is a fan based show.. so he is getting more calls. This is about Celebrity, Fans, not a true dance show.. More people need to call for the others, and not complain. Bill’s fans adore him, and are WATCHING.. networks like that.

• Kathy says:

My husband & I have watched the show since the 1st season. This is a show about winning for dancing and nothing else but unfortunately that’s not what it’s about. It’s about who likes who. The really good dancers get eliminated and they keep people like Jack till the end who has absolutely no rythym at all just a name. This has been going on for years and it’s about time my husband and I stop watching.

• Katie says:

Technically Amber was never trained she just has been on Glee where yes she did learn a thing or two but nothing like Corbin.

• Amie says:

Riiiiight. All those dance routines on GLEE under the direction of top choreographers don’t count at all as training. And Jennifer Grey’s years and years of training and Kristi Yamaguchi’s years and years of ballet and Shawn Johnson’s years and years of ballet and gymnastics and the Pussycat Doll’s years and years of professional dancing didn’t count, either.

• Kat says:

Have you seen Glee? Not exactly professional dancing (except for the professional dancers in the cast- Heather and Harry).

• chistosa says:

Sorry Amie. Amber’s dance training is minimal and limited only to what she learned in the past few years on Glee. And that dancing was mediocre at best as most of the dancers were untrained. Jennifer Grey did not have years of training in dance. Of the ones you mentioned the only one with extensive dance training was Nicole (Pussycat doll).

• You are so right! Corbin and Amber are young, trained dancers and it is completely unfair to put them up against an untrained person 20years their senior. I applaud Bill for trying so hard week after week, never giving up against all odds. That is what endears him to the viewers, even if the judges never give him a chance.

• Nancy says:

The judges are certainly not giving Bill ANY breaks!! They haven’t bothered to say one positive comment to or about him the entire season. I hope he wins it all!!

• Angela says:

Actually, they have said a few positive things about him. They think he’s fun, he got some kudos on his second dance last night, he had a couple other dances they said were pretty good…

• Kim R says:

I’m still wondering about the “openly a Christian” part of your comment. Huh??? In this day and age we live in that would be a mark against him, unfortunately.

2. Tim says:

BIll in the finals is a travesty, lets be honest…the guy has been on the bottom on the leaderboard for weeks!

• TheFactsR says:

This show is about a NON dancer learning to dance not a CORBIN and AMBER who are already trained dancers!!!!!!!! So why don’t you just put ALL trained dancers out on the floor and let them dance?????? BECAUSE it would be a dance variety show NOT DWTS who train NON dancers to dance!!!!!

• 504 says:

Amber isn’t trained. Yes,she can pick up choreo. But,she isn’t trained not at all. Like she said in her package. Her family couldn’t afford to put her in dance lessons. So anything she has learned has ben here and there. From years being on ”Glee.”

3. TheFactsR says:

Bill Engvall did his best dance of the season and derserved at least 2 9s! He has been treated like a stepchild by the judges all season.

He is the only reason I would tune in next week, but the judges won’t let Bill win! They had rather an experienced dancer win DWTS rather than a non dancer who has worked his butt off and increased his abilities to dance each week.

Brooke Burke stuck her foot in her AIR HEAD mouth during the show. She is another one who DWTS should replace.

Cheryl Burk steals choreography. That was Dmitry Chaplin’s choreography she stole!

Maks did good, he smoothed things over somewhat and was also able to tell the dancer what looked good and to continue into the finales.

The kiss by Karina to Maks was stupid, she is already sleeping with another guy after running after Maks all summer. DWTS should replace her, she is sleeze!

4. Stacie says:

The fact that Bill is there over Leah is a problem, the fact that he is there over Elizabeth is a problem, the fact that he is there over freakin Snooki is a problem. I get that it’s part popularity contest, and it’s nice to root for the underdog, but the underdog has regressed over the season. He used to be fun to watch, and root for, but now he is just sticking around when all these other great competitors should be there. Eh..I know it’s just DWTS, but if I’m watching the thing I want to be entertained, and Bill stopped entertaining me weeks ago.

• TheFactsR says:

Bill being in the show next week is NOT a problem. He is very entertaining. He is a nice guy learning to dance who was a NON trained dancer from the beginning.

• TheFactsR says:

Snookies kid was sick with a fever and she needed to be home with her child to care for while it was sick. The child took priority over dancing as it should have, THANK GOD her fans knew to stop voting and are smarter than you are.

5. Tim says:

hello, Brandt, Elizabeth, even Snooki OUT, and Bill, in the finals, I mean CMON, that’s not even possible if you actually watch the dances … maybe Bill should just win the Mirrorball while he’s at it? since dance has very little to do with it, why not?

6. skrable2 says:

In some ways, this is a good development. Maybe Bill winning will force the powers that be to finally change the voting so that clueless fans voting for nice guys won’t weigh as much as those who actually know about dance

• TheFactsR says:

why not then put ALL trained dancers in the competition then it would be just another ballroom competition!

• skrable2 says:

You keep making the same point over and over. I suspect you vote for reasons other than what you see on the dance floor.

• Meg says:

Could you please mention one more time that the show is about non-dancers being trained to be ballroom dancers? And use more exclamation points while you’re at it?

The show is about people progressing and getting better. Bill is not that good, has not gotten better in weeks, and looked like he forgot his dance during his cha cha cha tonight. He’s not a high enough quality dancer to be in the finals.

• Sandy says:

I agree! They made the rules for people to vote over judges. The way the “Judges” behaved when Elizabeth left was embarrassing and completely unprofessional. Doubt I will watch after this season and not because of the dancers. I do hope Bill and his partner win this!

7. Jacqi says:

FINALLY!!!! Leah should have gone home a VERY long time ago!

8. skrable2 says:

Marie Osmonda was a more qualified finalist than Bill Engvall

9. Angela says:

Corbin and Jack were fantastic tonight. I loved their dances, especially Corbin’s second one. And I really loved the arrangements for the songs for the second round of dances-such unusual, interesting takes on some of the music, but it all worked incredibly well.
    As for the results, well, Amber, Corbin, and Jack are making it to the finals, which is all I was mainly concerned about, so yay for that. But I am very surprised that Bill is STILL there. Wow. I like the guy, he seems like a decent man and all that, and I’m glad he’s having fun on the show, and he HAS had a couple dances that I thought were rather good (his second one tonight being a perfect example). But there’s no way he should beat out any of the other three couples next week.

10. Inigo says:

We has a Bill Engvall on Strictly Come Dancing some years ago. The gentleman concerned, John Sergeant, a charming man, a poor dancer and wildly popular with the public, eventually withdrew from the show saying “The trouble is that there is now a real danger that I might win the competition. Even for me that would be a joke too far.”

11. 504 says:

Nope,people who can actually dance should be in the finals and finale. Amber and Corbin.

12. Marie says:

I said it once and now I will say it again: You stupid-ass Jennifer Lawrence Fans stop voting for Bill Engvall!!

13. Thea (ELIZABETH BERKLEY - NEVER FORGET) says:

My personal favorite to win would be Corbin, but I have a feeling Jack will take it all. He’s really picked up the slack these last few weeks, and with all the talk of his illness… Well, you know how voters can be. Not saying he won’t have earned it, but he’s just not my favorite.

14. rebecca says:

I have voted for Jack every week because I so admire his courage to keep on trying..I have MS and I can’t imagine staying that balanced and optimistic and he has gotten better every week. I feel that Derek and Amber should win, however…just glad Jack did as well as he did..he is an inspiration

15. Amie says:

This is how they will finish:
    4. Corbin. The men left will split votes and he has the smallest built-in fanbase. The scores the judges give out don’t allow enough difference between dancers, so it won’t matter if they give him all 10s and Bill 7s again. Just like all the better dancers before him, there will be outrage and blahblahblah. It won’t matter.
    3. Bill. By the time they’re in the finale, the judges can torpedo someone if they need to. See: Marie Osmond.
    2. Jack. People like him, but he won’t be able to touch Amber’s fanbase or the string of perfect scores the judges pile on Derek.
    1. Amber. It’s been in the bag since she was announced with Derek.

• chistosa says:

Amie, in the finals they all get perfect 30’s. It is a bit annoying as it appears that the judges abdicate to the voting public. Even when there is a contestant without a perfect 30, it is close enough that the judges votes are not a factor. From here on in it is the voters who decide.

16. gina says:

I have been watching DWTS for many many years now nd it is indeed about non dancers learning how to dance and improving each week as well as entertainment. Now Snooki was a perfect example of this because she was learning and improving. Bill is simply NOT the case. His dances are NOT getting better. Also Leah was another perfect example of improvement and she earned her spot to make it that far. But Bill does NOT deserve to be in this competition over Leah, Snooki and the others who were just as inexperienced as him but improved. It is uninformed and simple minded people who do not know the real meaning and goal of DWTS who have carried Bill this far and made this season a shocking one. Personally the voting system should be reevaluated. Also I hope Amber or even Jack wins this season.

• Tom says:

The reason they are getting the celebrities they get is business purposes only. The celebrities say it’s ‘for fun’ or ‘to try something new’ or whatever the reason it boils down to popularity. After this season I guarantee you that Bill Engvall, win or lose, will be working and making more money in the next few years then he has been making. If you change it so the better dancer wins then you will be hurting the pocketbooks of celebrities who go on these shows to prove they are popular and are trying to get work.

The judges scoring system just seems to be a way to say ‘We aren’t American Idol’ when they kind of are. (And that is what is bothering people I think)

17. jake says:

Thank you for finally putting a poll on here!

18. Judy says:

Bill has definitely put the hours and effort into his dance and obviously has the fan base to carry him this far. I applaud him for his work ethic. However, I have thought he was due to be voted out for quite a few weeks now based in quality of his dances and am sad for the contestants that have worked as hard and dance better.

19. a first time fan says:

Is it crazy that I actually liked the version of the horribly terribly ridiculously pathetic excuse of a song that Bill danced to the second time around. And I’m glad they used the Moulin Rouge version of Roxanne, I hadn’t heard it in a while and I really like it. I don’t know much about dancing, but I do know I too was glad that Corbin took his shirt off *cough cough*. It’s always fun trying to figure out what Ozzy is saying. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to have him as a dad.

• Angela says:

I liked that version of the song, too. It weirdly worked. Though I have to confess to the original version being something of a “guilty pleasure”-it’s so stupid and silly, but it cracks me up.
      I found myself admiring Corbin even more after tonight-seems like a smart, decent, kind man, and his good looks do not hurt one bit, either…

20. cris says:

Seriously… just everyone vote for Amber and Derek so Bill DOESN’T win. He is unbearable to watch. Really, I fast forward his dances cuz I’m too embarrassed for him. It’s so awkward to watch him.

21. Kim R says:

I enjoyed having Maks back and thought he did a great job even though he was being molested by Bruno. :) I watch this show because of the dancing. I don’t really care who wins. I am just amazed at the talented pros and the routines they create every week to try and bring the best out of their stars. I PVR it every week so I can zip through Brook chat and the commercials. :D

22. sarah says:

I am so glad that I stopped watching after Brant was eliminated, it seems like it is just getting sillier and sillier with Bill still being on the show!

23. Ginger Snap says:

The show has always been about the star with the most charisma. I enjoy watching Corbin because of his skills but the one with the most charisma is Amber.

24. Many will disagree with me it seems, but I feel that the judges have really treated Bill poorly this season. He is about 20 years older than most of the other contestants, and doesn’t have any dance experince at all, yet he goes out and gives it his all week after week, never wilting under the rude comments of the judges. Got to give him a world of credit. I would love to see him win the whole thing!

25. it is sad to see bill is still there. and all the great dancers are gone must change the voting system its broken. this show will suffer

26. IT WOULD BE A TERRIFIC CHANGE IF BRUNO COULD LEARN TO ACT PROFESSIONALLY; WHEN IT IS HIS TURN TO CRITIQUE I tune out! I enjoy having guest judges, however I feel they should be able to critique intelligently. I felt Maks was able to do that. I did not feel that Julie Hough or even Cher sounded particularly intelligent with their critiques!

27. It’s supposed to be about the best dancer, PERIOD. They have never had a “professional” dancer on that show competing. Many young girls and boys take some kind of dance lessons growing up.

They need to change the rules and let the public votes only count for a quarter of the score and let the professional judges decide who is best.

• If you are paid to dance, whether it is in the movies, TV or in competitions, then you are a pro. I am sure that I am not the only person that feels Corbin and Amber are pros. They may not be as experienced at being a pro as many are, but they are still pros. I feel that Jack has improved by far more than any others on the show at this time. Just compare the first show to what he has done recently.

28. MARY says:

GET BRUNO OFF THE SHOW HE’S A NUT CASE WITH HIS HAND WAVING AND LONG WINDED SPEECHES AND PHONY ACCENT TIE HIM TO HIS CHAIR BEFORE HE HURTS SOMEBODY

29. La says:

Snap out of it people! Pull yourselves together! Now back away from the computer/phone/tablet/wristwatch…and we are breathing…now find and push the remote button marked “last” or ‘prev” – …okay! Much better; blood pressure dropping, and we are good. This is precisely why you have a secondary show on standby. Remember it is there to help you through moments like this…

30. After far too many weeks, according to “Dancing With the Stars” enthusiasts, Bill Engvall finally danced his last dance. The comedian outlasted many celebrities who outscored him on the dance floor week after week, making it into the first part of the two-night season finale. He fell just short of the finish line, though.