Pilot Scoop: HBO, Weeds EP Taking Jack Black and Tim Robbins to The Brink of War

blog_jack_tim_11.14.13Jack Black and Tim Robbins are headed to The Brink, a half-hour comedy pilot for HBO about three compromised souls attempting to stave off World War III.

Written by Weeds‘ Roberto Benabib and brother Kim and directed by Jay Roach (Game Change), the project is described as an epic dark comedy focusing on a geopolitical crisis and its effect on three disparate and desperate men.

Black will play Alex Coppins, a lowly Foreign Service officer reluctantly caught on the ground in the middle of it all, while Robbins will play US Secretary of State Walter Hollander, a man of big appetites and little patience for the war mongers in the Situation Room. Casting for the third lead continues.

Roberto Benabib will serve as an EP alongside Jerry Weintraub and Roach. Kim Benabib is a Co-EP. Black and Robbins will serve as producers.

1. Dav says:

I make it a point to avoid anything that has Jack Black in it. Not even Tim Robbins could get me to watch this.

2. Annie says:

Am I the only one who keeps reading all the pilot news with an eye towards solving the most recent Blind Item? Could our unnamed actor be the third guy here? I think it’s Lewis or Lincoln, and … ugh, why do I even try?

3. Rich says:

I woun,t watch anything that the two left wing american hating liberal idiots are associated with.Hey sponsers are you reading this?

• Dan Kinnier says:

Um, it’s HBO- no commercials, ergo no sponsors.

• HAP says:

Seriously? I think of the Republican majority of congress to be more the personification of American hating because they have tried everything possible to impede the economic recovery out of spite, just trying to make a black man’s presidency fail.

4. Zach says:

I honestly never met anyone that didn’t like Jack Black. I was already intrigued by the concept, but his involvement seals the deal.

5. Can’t stand Jack Black. All he can play is… Jack Black! His hamming and mugging ruined King Kong.

6. Mary S says:

Regardless of who is in it, the premise does NOT sound humorous in any way and so I will not even bother with it; I will probably deliberately ignore it. And, Rich, for someone to refuse to watch a movie or tv show just because of an actor’s political affiliation sounds even more stupid than the premise of this show. I’m not going to give up Dirty Harry or The Man With No Name just because Clint was idiotic enough to have a conversation with an empty chair!