Scandal Recap: The Pieces of Ourselves That We Give Away for Others

Get More: Recaps

Scandal Mellie Raped Fitz's FatherThis week on ABC’s Scandal… well, a stupendous amount of things happened, many secrets revealed. It all felt very much “Season 2,” especially as it served up at least two false endings — moments that other shows would have contentedly closed a season with. So, where do we start…?

Held accountable, in part, for tainting the president’s reputation — hell, a third of America believes she’s clinically insane — Mellie spends much of the current timeline hosting a televised tour of the White House’s East Wing, to win points with the public. But as she plows through the treacly task, we flash back to 15 years ago, when Cyrus… was hairier.

Invited to Santa Barbara by Jerry to scout out his son for a gubernatorial run — if not a higher office — Professor Beene likes what he sees, at least as far as Fitz’s height, good hair and perfect wife. But when Cyrus maps out a plan to win over the Golden State by playing up Fitz’s “war hero” cred, the prospective candidate balks. That leads to a quarrel between father (who never felt Fitz should have upped with the Navy) and son (who insisted on serving his country) — including allusions to the sordid “incident” Fitz was involved in and which Jerry worked the favor bank to make go away. “You owe me,” Jerry growls. “I made you, I could destroy you.”

Mellie, meanwhile, has her own tete-a-tete with Cyrus, who is set to throw in the towel and is on his way home to his wife. When he tells Mellie it needs to be her full-time job to support Fitz’s political goals, she promises to make things right, and invites him back tomorrow. That night, a drinky Jerry confides in Mellie the sticky wicket that Fitz got roped into, shooting down a passenger airplane — Global World flight 522 — that was rigged with a dirty bomb that could have taken out half of London. Following that reveal, Jerry makes a pass at Mellie… and then rapes her.

Jumping back to the present, Mellie — frustrated that Fitz was a no-show during a critical part of her TV tour — rails at her husband. “If you knew the pieces of myself that I have given away for you…. We are in Hell together and the flames are burning us with equal intensity. At least be my friend. Show up. Instead of treating me like a stranger.” And later, when Mel is poised to again disappoint Nurse Rose, Fitz does show up, to epically swat away an aggressive line of questioning aimed at Mellie’s approval rating. He accepts all the blame for the affair and declares that they are trying to move on. Later, Mellie thanks Fitz for his performance, for making that smart choice — but he says he meant every word.

Back in flashback, though shell-shocked by Jerry’s assault, Mellie doesn’t immediately tell Fitz when she returns to the bedroom. Instead, after hearing him say how a proper mea culpa from his old man would ignite his political fire, she uses the secret to leverage Jerry to do her bidding and deliver just that. Many weeks later, at an event announcing Fitz’s gubernatorial run, Mellie tells her husband that she’s pregnant. With a nod to his dad, an ebullient Fitz jokes to Mel, “If it’s a boy, he’ll make us name it Jerry.” Oof.

And that’s just the flashback part of the hour. Meanwhile, in the here and now….

Quick, everybody give Huck some side-eye.

Quick, everybody give Huck some side-eye.

* Olivia introduces the Gladiators to their new client: her mother, Maya, who was among the passengers killed on Global World 522. Oh, and one other thing: the man who shot down the plane is the President of the United States. (Remember, everyone — over a cliff!) Was Maya a target, or mere collateral damage of a B613 op? OPA quickly learns two things: that flight had been delayed, and that while overbooked there was an empty seat. Turns out, a marshal held the plane at the tarmac, and then escorted passenger Omar Dresden off the plane. When the closest they can find to a witness is the guy who drove the stairs on the tarmac, Jake sets up a meeting….

* Quinn, upon getting wind of Charlie’s next gig, spies on him as he does some spying. When he catches her in the act, he pulls her into a kiss — then invites her to hang with him more. Toward the episode’s end, Quinn uses more smooching to “convince” Charlie to let her handle the “drug the guard” portion of some file theft job. But what Quinn ends up injecting the watchman with kills him, pronto. And just as Jake arrives on the scene to meet with the former airport worker — aka the dead guard — Charlie interrupts Quinn’s frantic call to Huck to reveal he’s got the kill on video. “You belong to B613 now. Welcome to Wonderland!” Concurrent with that reveal, as Fitz realizes who Liv’s father is, we see Rowan enter a secure facility to visit “inmate” Omar Dresden. Pulling up to the person’s bunk, he announces, “Our daughter’s been asking about you” — you in this case being Olivia’s very much alive mother! (Hello again, Khandi Alexander.)

* Mellie and Cyrus conspired to lead Sally Langston’s husband Daniel astray with a planted hooker, only to realize they were using the wrong kind of bait — as we see Daniel instead being awfully friendly with James.

And… whew. There you have it. Is this the breathless, wackadoodle Scandal you remember?

Tags: ,

Comments (186)

• So, am I supposed to assume their first child is actually Fitzs’ scumbag rapist father’s?

Comment by Soopah Soopah Soopah – November 14, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Correct – you are to now wonder if Fitz’s son is also his brother.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 14, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oof is right. This seems just like s2 shooting and the aftermath. Super excited to see where this goes.

Comment by Nusaiba – November 14, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know what’s was more disturbing to learn tonight…..the possibility that Big Jerry is the father of Mellie’s first child, or Cyrus’ hair and beard 15 years ago.

Comment by Alichat – November 14, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unless it’s Karen. I think the birthing order of the Grant children got a little jumbled. Someone help me out here. Who is older: Jerry or Karen?

Comment by Cece – November 14, 2013 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There might be the possibility that she miscarried and used that as leverage for something. Having his son actually be his brother is disturbing. Also, it is just me or is Quinn so annoying and naive? She wants to be like Huck, but it backfires. At the same time, Huck should have told her the truth of what it is like to be in B613.

Comment by Caroline – November 15, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Maybe there is a theme. Josie Marcus’ sister is actually her daughter. So who knows with this show.

Comment by Cece – November 15, 2013 07:19 AM PDT
          • Well, I think Huck has told her in his own way what it’s like. I mean, she’s been around him enough that she should be able to understand what it does to someone. The AA speech about how great it felt to ‘drink whiskey’ is a perfect example. She immediately understood that he’d killed someone, that he enjoyed it, and that he was disgusted with himself. So, she knows the truth of what it does to you……it stares her in the face every day. Quinn has just chosen to ignore it.

Comment by Alichat – November 15, 2013 08:04 AM PDT
          • Miscarried or aborted

Comment by Sonja Miller – November 15, 2013 08:42 PM PDT
      • Oh. I didn’t see that connection… I was just thinking his son isn’t really is son.

Comment by GTS – November 15, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was thinking the same thing. I didn’t even realize till I read this that one of them would actually be his brother or sister. Creepy.

Comment by abz – November 15, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looks that way. Ick. And I guess that’s a story in the back pocket for whenever we finally see the kids.

Comment by C – November 14, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was very traumatic to watch Mellie being raped. Announcing that she is pregnant at the end of the same episode leads one to believe that in a demented way, Fitz’s first child could actually be his half-brother and step-son. Crazy. My skin is crawling!
      I wonder if Mellie will ever let Fitz know what an ass his father really was: to assault his own daughter-in-law, his son’s wife! Fitz’s father clearly doesn’t -or never respected him to be able to be so violent to his son’s wife. I am shaking my head. I am surprised Mellie didn’t find a way to kill him. No wonder she is so tortured and dark.

Comment by CrazySad – November 15, 2013 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was traumatized, too. Still am. Was thinking the same thing–having kept that a secret all these years from her beloved husband–no wonder she’s so messed up.

Comment by Shannon – November 15, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well we don’t know that Fitz doesn’t know.

Comment by Sonja Miller – November 15, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode had soooo much drama packed in. I can’t remember an episode with as much soap opera tropes as this one. I still enjoyed it, though.

Comment by rachelle – November 14, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I enjoyed it, but given the number of big plot developments it felt like I should have been left a little more wowed.

Comment by Matt – November 14, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OK this announces my age, but does anybody recall the John Sayles movie from the 70s called “The Brother From Another Planet?”. I am sure that Olivia’s dad/Rowan/Eli Pope is the same actor as the “brother” in the movie. He shows up as a powerful sorta-bad-guy in Good Wife and other TV series, far different character type than in the movie which got him started. Joe Morton? Maybe I’m wrong. Research time. Anxiously awaiting next installment of Scandal! When will Liv learn her mom is alive? Soon, I hope.

Comment by echinachea – November 18, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Joe Morton is indeed the star of Brother From Another Planet.

Comment by dee – November 20, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks! He is a great (and fine looking) actor. Hardly ever gets to be the good guy! Very interesting characters he plays:)

Comment by echinachea – November 21, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I’m supposed to believe that Mellie was ecstatic to have her rapist campaign for Fitz ….

Comment by Trini – November 14, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Typical Mellie. Uses everything to her own advantage. Even rape.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 14, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, why was Mellie giggly and all over Big Jerry on the campaign trail in episode 211? Who is friends with their rapist? They are both sick people.

Comment by Anon – November 14, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, but in all of those scenes, there were other people in the room. Mellie would never let on that there was something wrong between the two of them. I think that could explain why she was so exuberant in s2.

Comment by Alichat – November 14, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve read interviews with Shonda where she says they write a season with no plan for the next. So I don’t think the writers had decided on the tape when they wrote the flashbacks in season 2. Annoying for continuity reasons though.

Comment by cfm – November 14, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *rape
          Nice of my phone to autocorrect that I guess?

Comment by cfm – November 14, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think it goes to show that the lead characters of Scandal are those that are emotionally damaged and have/will repress feelings for some larger goal. They’re constantly compartmentalizing and contexualizing drama, which is something real people do as well

Comment by ADW – November 14, 2013 11:36 PM PDT
        • That can’t be entirely true because they started planting this Operation Remington thing last year. Also, there was definitely time between when the rape happened (15 yrs ago), and when Big Jerry was stumping for Fitz’s presidential campaign (~3 years ago, right?). So there was time for Mellie to perfect her behavior around him and pretend that everything was good even while she hated him the whole while.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True that but Mellie was quite flirty with him IMO & was very insistent that he join the campaign. Even Cyrus didn’t really want him there but Mellie wouldn’t back down. I blame the lack of continuity on revisionist writing. Was terribly upset Shonda & co used rape as a way to make Mellie sympathetic. *sigh*

Comment by Euvee – November 15, 2013 02:36 PM PDT
      • The reason you stated is why this plot driven rape was unnecessary. This rape was only to make Mellie sympathetic to the audience which was not necessary. Mellie was a great villain and well rounded character, we didn’t need a stupid rape. Mellie is a rape survivor but you can’t tell from watching the show. Instead the rape was swept under the rug now it’s all about is their first born really Fitz’s son or his daddy’s. Why couldn’t the episode be about Mellie as First Lady having a platform about helping rape survivors? Then they could flash back and show us why Mellie is so passionate about this cause. Instead Mellie’s B story is about her and Cyrus trying to find a hooker to take down Sally’s husband! Also who blackmails their rapist!!!

Comment by bigdede – November 15, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Apparently, Mellie does. Why are people so bent on being angry because Mellie didn’t respond the way they wish she had? Rape victims have the right to sift through their feelings on their own terms and in their own way. The assault is difficult enough – let’s not further victimize the victim by forcing her to confront her feelings in the way we think she should.

Comment by the girl – November 16, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Comment to the girl concerning the over analysis of everyone as to how Mellie SHOULD have responded to the rape: AGREED!!! Enuf said!

Comment by jains – November 16, 2013 05:10 PM PDT
        • Thats why i dont really consider it rape. As you watch you can see her stop screaming as she comes up with this plan to use it against him. Mellie knew all along what she was doing and i believe let it happen.

Comment by Najah – November 17, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Mellie was raped. If you think she enjoyed it, or was using it as a tool to get Fitz’s dad onside then watch the episode again and how she was when she went back to her bedroom and Fitz wanted to cuddle her. She didn’t even want to be touched. She stopped fighting during the attack because he was stronger than her and if she’d kicked up a real fuss then who knows what the scum would have done to her. Look how many of you are saying that she led him on! This is why rape victims don’t come forward. People always seem to want to blame them!
            And she loves Fitz, not just the power that comes with being First Lady. Remember how relieved she was when he came to “apologise” to her? How disappointed when he spoke up for her and then basically acted as if she wasn’t there? No way did she get into this just for the kudos. I mean she’s already said she’s bored with being FLOTUS and she’s a qualified lawyer if I recall correctly. So imagine how it feels to know that your husband neither loves or respects you, in fact he treats you like dirt. Especially when you’ve been raped, played a part in election fixing, given up your career and been publicly humiliated.
            If she became cold towards Fitz afterwards, well that’s understandable too. I can imagine her thinking “I would never have been raped if I’d never met you”. The rape changed her, which explains why she and Fitz grew apart. Fitz was already peeved cos he felt like his Dad and Mellie manipulated him into running for Pres, then he finds out about Defiance… From his point of view, Mellie is a conniving b…h and Liv is so lovely and smart and clever. A bit like I suspect Mellie was when he met her.

Comment by Nix – November 18, 2013 08:54 AM PDT
  • I would of never predicted about Fitz is not the father of Jerry. I wonder how that storyline goes since Fitz father is dead so I wonder how he will find out. Liv’s mom must be a secet agent or something

Comment by Linds – November 14, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did I miss something? Did Jerry (evil dad of Fitz) get killed off? When and where? Thanks.

Comment by echinachea – November 17, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He died off screen. Natural causes (until Shonda says different). I believe he passed before Fitz officially made it into the White House.

Comment by Gigi – November 17, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for clarifying.

Comment by echinachea – November 18, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really hoping the Jack Coleman wouldn’t have to play the same character he did on The Office but besides that… this ep was so good.

Comment by Jessica Y – November 14, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Omg! That’s right. Wtf. Typecast much?

Comment by Mark – November 14, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He also played an ‘in the closet’ character on Dynasty, back in the 80s, didn’t he?

Comment by Hmmm – November 14, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure did!

Comment by LeftonPost – November 15, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well this time he’s the second man vs state senator, but yes was like ugh he’s playing a closeted gay man in the political arena again.

Comment by Miss VCI – November 14, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Coleman was also gay on Vampire Diaries – He’s Caroline’s dead father who left her mother for a man.

Comment by Tamim – November 14, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh my gosh you are so right. I completely forgot about that! Hmm hopefully Castle doesn’t follow the trend.

Comment by Carly – November 14, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is it about this show?! It’s so over the top, soap opera dramatic…every single week…but it is deliciously addicting!

Comment by SB – November 14, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So. Much. Mind. Blown. But honestly, Bellamy Young blew it out the ball park. She was fabulous. What a great performance. On every level.

Comment by crabapplerum – November 14, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is starting to remind me of that old song “I’m my own grandpa”.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 14, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, who thinks Khandi Alexander is in fact Omar Dresden/the Dirty Bomber?

Comment by crabapplerum – November 14, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How fascinating. Of course why else would Olivia’s mom be in jail. But I suspect many more twists to this. Why would Rowan want her in jail? Are they on the same evil side? I suspect Mom will come out as some type of hero/heroine. S. R. Is absolutely the best TV writer ever!

Comment by Jains – November 15, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At this point, I am considering the possibility that Mom is the villain. Rowan may be a bad guy, but he does his evil for what he believes is the good of the nation. If Mom is responsible for the bomb that would have destroyed half of London (which I think she might have been) then she’s actually a bigger bad guy than Rowan.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was thinking something similar. My thoughts keep going back to Jack and Sydney Bristow.

Comment by Melck713 – November 15, 2013 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Omg u are so right about the Alias connection.. I hadnt even thought about that and I loved that show. Wow..

Comment by emw – November 15, 2013 12:48 PM PDT
    • The mother being escorted off makes no sense if she was the bomber. If the government knew about the bomb, why would they escort the person responsible off, leave the bomb on the plane, delay it, let it take off, and then shoot it down. I know there could be other factors like the clock was already going and there was too great a risk trying to diffuse it, but if it had to go up to save more lives, why not leave the person responsible on it to go down with it. Unless Rowan used his connections to spare her out of love for her…or if they wanted to use her to get to the higher ups in her terrorist cell.

I bet that guy Cyrus got the visa for to ruffle Harrison ties into the plane drama.

Comment by Reese – November 16, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. They’d never let the plane take off knowing there was a bomb on it. Which is why I think the bomb was another lie planted by Rowan to justify shooting down the plane.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 16, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this episode just did not sit well with me at all. that rape scene was gratuitous. it’s really disappointing to see rape used as a plot device or character development for shock and awe value. not there’s right way to do rape on tv, but geez that was too much. it was far more jarring than than the soprano’s employee of the month episode. kudos to bellamy young though…

Comment by C. – November 14, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eehhhh, shock and awe value, or a way to get a hostile audience to accept a character? I mean, I think this season will end with me going “I think I like the First Lady…”

Comment by Soopah Soopah Soopah – November 14, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • but even using rape to make mellie more sympathetic is just not okay. personally, i loved-hated her just fine before this.

Comment by C. – November 14, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think she was raped so that we would sympathize with her. This was a glimpse into understanding what has shaped her as an ambitious political animal. That was her defining moment. She could have told Fitz, had Big Jerry arrested, the whole nine. Instead she decided to calculate her moves and use being raped as a weapon to get what she wanted (Jerry to apologize, Fitz to run for governor). She took the dirt she had on him and manipulated him with it. That’s why Jerry says “you’re an asset”. because he respected the choice she made. In that moment, Mellie decided to stop being whoever she was before and to start being who she is now.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She didn’t seem ambitious and independent in her flashback. She was more squirrely with a haircut. Shonda I get Mellie is staying but this Rape made no sense for this character development . Poor choice on the writers. This wasn’t a dead marriage for 15years. And how they met, partnership, and why did mellie ask Fitz to forgive her in s.2? Doesn’t add up. To continue to tell him I gave up my career for you but never discuss what his father done to her. They were very much in love in their flashback Fitz was happy with Mellie. I want to know why they stop loving each other. So far this has been a Mellie season anyways why the RAPE. Shonda is avoiding writing a divorce. Mellie still didn’t use her voice when confronted in the interview. Whack

Comment by Bb – November 15, 2013 08:04 PM PDT
          • Exactly my thoughts except I would add Mellie was thrown at Fitz. He’s the means to their end – Mellie (and Mellie’s family)rich and powerful. I think this makes it simpler for Mellie to use the rape. She’s been shaped to be a tool. Remember the “I made him” speech, “she can’t have him I made him. I think the rape gives all of the scenes with Mellie more punch now we can look back at them knowing about the rape.”Of course she is very smart but I don’t think she has thought her way out of the box her family and Big Jerry put her in.

Comment by Grace Lloyd – November 16, 2013 09:53 AM PDT
  • I feel for Mellie, to keep a horrific act committed against her, by a man she had to see probably every day for years a secret. A painful secret like that can change a person and on top of that having the monster’s child.

Comment by Tori – November 14, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Question: Why didn’t she tell Fitz?

Comment by Cheyenne – November 14, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Perhaps she was afraid Fitz would blame her or accuse her of lying to manipulate him. It’s a common reason why most women don’t report rape.

Comment by Aeol – November 15, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She also ended up using it to her advantage: getting the father to support Fitz.

Comment by mary – November 15, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She didn’t tell him because as long as it’s a secret, it was a weapon she could use against Big Jerry.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She didn’t tell Fitz , because she told BigJerry how he was going to act from now on towards Fitz because she used the rape as a way to get what she wanted,and that was her ticket to becoming the First Lady of the United States . The woman is smart and conniving.. Bellamy plays the hell out of Mellie. She is good.

Comment by Lolita – December 2, 2013 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we all knew Mama Pope was alive, but no one predicated she would be locked in a cell for 20 years by Eli Pope.

Comment by Kre – November 14, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Nobody brings it like: Lola.

Comment by Lola's Journal – November 14, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shark jumped

Fitz’s kid is his sibling

Comment by Mia – November 14, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Flashbacks to Alias when Sydney thought her mom was dead and she ended up being a spy…..anyone?!?

Comment by *lg* – November 14, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So lemme see now… in ONE episode:
    1) Fitz now knows that Rowan is Olivia’s dad
    2) Mellie was raped by her father-in-law and uses it to her advantage
    3) Quinn got trapped into joining B613
    4) Sally Langston’s hubby is gay
    5) Rowan has been hiding Mama Pope in some dungeon for the past 20 years and the poor woman is crazy as a loon
    6) Fitz’s son may or may not be his brother

My head is blown.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 14, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES TO ALL OF THIS!!! Whenever they decide to bring the older kids on will be INSANE! I wonder if Big Jerry thought/knew/suspected Jerry IV is his son? This show is insane!

Comment by Sarah – November 14, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I woke up this morning and I am still processing parts of this show. It was so much and so good!

Comment by TvPeong – November 15, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do you think the mother is crazy? She literally said nothing.

Comment by tp – November 15, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Being locked away for X amount of years, there’s bound to be something wrong with her lol
        And you never know with this show

Comment by abz – November 15, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How sane would you be after being locked up in solitary for 20+ years?

Comment by Cheyenne – November 16, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No wonder I’m hooked!

Comment by echinachea – November 17, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stunning

Comment by mandy – November 14, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! The look of joy on Quinn’s face when she thought she had just drugged the guard was priceless.

Comment by Carm – November 14, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But then absolute horror that she may have killed him!

Comment by Jains – November 15, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • despite the fact I saw the Quinn thing coming a mile away I still wish it hadn’t gone that way. I used to like her so much.

Comment by lilacbarries – November 14, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to say I have been a little angry with Huck over the whole Quinn business. I know he has MASSIVE amounts of emotional baggage and damage, but he is the one that got her started. I didn’t see him trying to stop her with she was taking that power tool to the guy last season.
      Now that he has created this “baby Huck” he just shut her out completely. I have always felt that Quinn was a little on the outside looking him with the rest of the gladiators, and now even more so. If Huck had tried engage with her a little more she would not have been looking for that thrill and other-creepy-guy-who-name-I-don’t-remember would not have been able the weasel his way in.
      Olivia has helped the other in some way but when you boil it down she is the reason Quinn’s life took a sharp left.

Comment by ejdax37 – November 15, 2013 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In Huck’s defence he did warn Quinn to stop wanting to be a killer and to work at being more like Olivia and not more like him (Huck). I am still hopeful that they will reveal that Huck was watching Quinn and he knows what Quinn did. Will Quinn come clean when she finds out that the guy he killed was who the gladiators were looking for?

Comment by Overthinking – November 15, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good term, “baby Huck”!!!

Comment by Jains – November 15, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Quinn’s fall into B613 could have been stopped if Huck had paid attention to her. At one time they were like Frick & Frack and now she’s totally damaged.

Comment by Dijea (@Dijea) – November 15, 2013 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s Quinn’s own ego that’s bringing her down. Huck told her in no uncertain terms he didn’t want her following in his footsteps and she refuses to let go of this whole “but I can be a really good killer!” shtick. Even in this episode she was going on about how she was right about Liv’s dad and how Huck should give her credit; sorry but Huck isn’t even emotionally capable of pulling Quinn back, she tortured one guy and now all of a sudden she thinks she’s James Bond?! It’s not Huck’s fault she’s crouched in a freaking bush following Charlie around. What the heck was the point of that other than satisfying her own perverted obsessions?

Comment by Aeol – November 15, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Exactly. Huck doesn’t have the psychological strength to save Quinn. He is barely saving himself.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:35 AM PDT
        • Huck is not to blame for Quinn’s actions. He warned her a dozen times to back off and she wouldn’t listen to him.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 16, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The creepy guy’s name is Charlie

Comment by Quinn – November 18, 2013 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just as it’s possible not to do enough in an episode, it’s possible to do too much. That happened tonight, IMO. They packed at least 3 episodes of reveals into a single show. I’m usually a little wrung out when an episode is over, but tonight I was numbed.

Comment by Larc – November 14, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone had to know Olivia’s mom was alive right? Or just me? I just didn’t expect them to show her THIS early tho. Also his son is his brother… GROSS

Comment by Nate – November 14, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Why is this show so amazing!!!??? Scandal is on fire!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – November 14, 2013 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scenes I’m looking forward to seeing:

1) Sally Langston finding out her hubby is gay
    2) Olivia finding out Dad has Mom locked up in a dungeon for the past 20 years
    3) Cyrus pimping James out to Sally’s hubby to ruin Sally’s candidacy, and his marriage to James goes boom in the process
    4) Fitz finding out his “son” may be his brother
    5) Quinn kills Charlie
    6) Huck or Jake kills Quinn
    7) Somebody kills Rowan (please let this happen by the end of this season)

Comment by Cheyenne – November 14, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure Sally knows about her husband being gay. Between insisting that the female aid must be wrong about her husband being handsy, and her conversation with her husband where she basically told him to keep it in his pants, I though it was pretty clear that she’s aware of his interests.

Comment by madhatter360 – November 14, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But the exposure is going to destroy her.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 14, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Sally already knows DD is gay, but Cyrus isn’t going to pimp out James full-throttle. There’s so many other ways to trap him than for Cyrus to encourage his own husband to be a significant part of it. Cyrus is crazy, but he’s already been to the edge of the cliff with James.

Comment by Aeol – November 15, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I got the same feeling during that bow tie scene that it was some sort of arrangement.

Comment by abz – November 15, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, I was surprised when Bellamy Young wasn’t nominated for an Emmy this year, but if she isn’t nominated next year then there is something seriously wrong. Her performance this episode was so beyond incredible. I’ve always been Team Mellie, but she has officially won me over for good now. And Fitz finally standing up for her was such a beautiful moment, I actually enjoy their relationship when they get along. Fitz is just so wrong for Olivia.

And Quinn used to be my favorite, but I’m not sure I like this dark turn she’s taking. It’s great character development, but I miss Quinn early season 2. And the reveal of Olivia’s mom… OMG. I gasped so loud I’m sure my dorm mate down the hall heard me. Seriously, if you don’t watch Scandal, what the heck are you doing with your life?!

Comment by Carly – November 14, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING EPISODE. holy cow. SO much happened. and apparently the craziest is yet to come? this season is indeed taking very dark turns like they promised.

also, am i misunderstanding the mellie situation or are others? i’ve read a few people say disturbing things like “mellie used the rape to her advantage” or “the rape was done to make mellie sympathetic.” i didn’t see that AT ALL. the rape was part of the character’s background story and also explains SO MUCH; how mellie and fitz went from being an in love couple to slowly drifting apart, how/why mellie became cold and calculated, why mellie feels like she’s done so much for fitz, etc. it gave a whole new perspective on things and the old “mellie is just a cold political animal” thing. what happened really messed mellie up inside in certain ways. not to mention that shonda rhimes also did a rape arc on PP and it was done beautifully and realistically. it seems unlikely that she would go from doing so much right there to doing so much wrong here.

Comment by Bee – November 14, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with you. It was the moment where she became the Mellie we all know. And you’re right, Private Practice handled Charlotte’s rape so wonderfully. I do not for one moment believe that Shonda Rhimes would use rape as like, a throwaway, gratuitous incident.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally totally agree with you!

Comment by g – November 15, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I kind of get why Mellie made the choice she did, under the context of Mellie’s motivations and what I know of the character.

On the other hand, I am really exasperated with tv depicting a rape assault after which the victim hides the crime from loved ones and does not report the attacker. It did represent the reality of 98% of rape crimes going unreported and of the perpetrator being related to the victim. But it is frustrating seeing this same story told on tv over and again. This is the third time I have seen this play out on a major tv show in 2 months (and none of the 3 are cable shows either).

Don’t get it twisted, in the world of Scandal, I understand why it went down the way it did. It is just in the overall world of tv, I feel like the story of the rape victim always involves the victim’s silence afterward for the sake of injecting drama.

Comment by Anon – November 14, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, if that is how women handle being raped 98% of the time, you are not going to see a massive amount of women on television reporting the attacker to the police. Because that’s not true to life. If you haven’t seen Private Practice season four, you should watch it. Charlotte is raped and she does report it, and the way it is handled is perfect.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I’m tired of seeing the rape story on TV. I hated this scene and consider it vulgar, gratuitous and disgusting. Really Scandal writers? I thought I was watching a daytime soap. There were other ways to show the turning point for Mellie’s damage.

Comment by BeBe – November 15, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really hope we get to meet Cyrus’ ex-wife.

Comment by Kate – November 14, 2013 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes to this! A hundred time yes!

Comment by ejdax37 – November 15, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mellie didn’t put up much of a fight when she was getting raped by Jerry. She didn’t scream. She didn’t holler, she just laid there and took it why? He never used a weapon, he didn’t threaten her, so I don’t understand why she laid there and didn’t put up a fight. She is not so innocent in her marriage , she had an affair with this guy when Fitz was running to be a senator. Harrison shut the guy down. Somebody had been following her for two years taking pictures of her and this guy. She is not the good wife the flandering husband . She has slept around to. I think they made Quinn and Fitz two people that are not liked anymore. Why did Shonda make Fitz, a main character be a killer of 300 people and he is the president?I hope there is more to this than meets the eye.

Comment by Lolita – November 15, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Cut it out! Yes, Mellie will go down as one of the biggest b****es in TV history. But don’t you dare blame the victim in this scenario. That’s tacky and shameful. Rape is rape, regardless of how much one fights back or if a gun or knife is involved

Comment by Gigi – November 15, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Bellamy Young was not raped by Barry Bostick, they are people who make a living by acting. They got paid big bucks. For the rape scene.. This is a tv show from the mind of Shonda Rhimes . It is not real,no one should get offended , because these people are actors. The show is fun to watch, and when the scene is over they go about their real lives, not what they play on Scandal. I wish no one would get real life mixed up with tv. Peace, have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

Comment by Lolita – December 2, 2013 06:08 AM PDT
        • Didn’t you see the shock and bewilderment in her eyes. Come on people, there is not one way all rape victims react and not one way they all respond afterward.

Comment by Jains – November 15, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fitz was under orders to stop a dirty bomb. You make it sound like he just went out and killed 300 people.

Comment by tp – November 15, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She began putting up a fight. But things happen quickly when your getting raped. Your scared and shocked. before she knew it he was actually doing the rape so she went into a bit of shock. That will cause u to stop fighting because your mind isn’t processing how or why in the world this is happening.

Comment by trecia – November 15, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i always find it blasphemous when another anyone especially a woman (i assume you are a woman Lolita) can make an argument against the victim. How dare you say she didn’t put up much a fight.

This is a man she is suppose to trust, her father in law and he took advantage of that situation. She was shocked and when you are shocked your reaction times change. There are many elements that go into this type of situation, but not screaming and not kicking is a normal response especially when being raped from a family member/close friend. and yes I speak from experience.

Comment by missvci – November 15, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Her husband was in the house where she was being raped. And she didn’t scream? Why? Then she turned around and blackmailed her rapist, what is that? Most women in a situation like that are jumped when they are by themselves, not with their husband upstairs in their bedroom. I say she should have screamed at the top of her lungs, instead she used the rape to advance her agenda. She wants to remain First Lady come hell or high water. Her getting raped made her more determined than ever to , to stay the First Lady .

Comment by Lolita – December 2, 2013 04:14 AM PDT
      • Yes Yes Yes Cyrus married with a woman. We do want to see this.

Comment by Jains – November 15, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not if it requires additional flashbacks with those hairpieces. Oh who am I kidding? Yes for the hairpieces!!

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I regret that there is no way to “Like” this comment. +1000

Comment by tp – November 15, 2013 03:25 PM PDT
          • I thought the same thing about Cyrus’ hair and beard! Took me a second to realize it was him, Jeff Perry is a terrific actor.

Comment by Ginger Shehan (@gingershehan) – November 15, 2013 06:37 PM PDT
        • I just want her too come back and we see the story of Cyrus coming out. That could not be easy being a republican and as we just found out older and having spent most of his life in the closet. I also want her to be bitter, not all understanding just because he left her for a man and not another woman.

Comment by ejdax37 – November 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She might be more upset it he left her for another woman. If he leaves her for a man, obviously neither she nor any other woman can gratify him. But if he leaves her for another woman, then she’s left to wonder what has she got that I ain’t got?

Comment by Cheyenne – November 16, 2013 02:59 PM PDT
  • Serious OMG episode. I’ve always been a Mellie fan but Bellamy killed it tonight. And poor stupid Quinn. I partially blame Huck because that poor child was just looking for his approval and he pulled so far back it was like he was in another country and Charlie (that vulture) swooped in for the proverbial kill. I knew Mama Pope was alive – I mean come on – you hired Khandi Alexander for a bit part for one episode? I knew better. BTW – where’s the Harrison backstory we were promised for this season?

Comment by sladewilson – November 14, 2013 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In one of the many, many remaining episodes.

Comment by Josh – November 15, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I have to say is WOW!! What an episode!! Bellamy Young brought it tonight. We’re beginning to understand Mellie. Quinn has officially crossed into the dark side… Momma Pope is alive!! I’m looking forward to Khandi Alexander. She was awesome in “The Corner”. Shonda Rhimes keep bringing it cuz we love it!!

Comment by Renee – November 15, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the reveals in this episode

Comment by azu – November 15, 2013 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • okay was that nurse rose/professer slacker who was the tv reporter? I don’t know the name of the actress. she is beautiful

Comment by Peevesie – November 15, 2013 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was it Nurse Rose? I knew she looked familiar but didn’t know from where . Maybe you are right.

Comment by mary – November 15, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, that was definitely Nurse Rose – I believe her name is Lauren Stamile. You know Shonda loves to hire and rehire.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thanks. I loved her as Professor slacker on community more than nurse rose. Though she didn’t have much to do as nurse rose.

The weirdest hire and rehire shonda has done is of sarah drew. she had a whole pregnancy and adoption arc on private practice and then plays april kepner. And its supposed to be the same universe dammnit! But I love the fact that she usually upgrades the actor to bigger role when she rehires. everyone from cyrus, sally langston, james, quinn, abby, etc have all had a role in greys and/or private practice.

Comment by Peevesie – November 16, 2013 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow you are so right. I had completely forgotten about Sarah Drew on PP!

Comment by the girl – November 16, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on BlindRhymes and things that'll blow your mind….

Comment by Jaglavak The Prince – November 15, 2013 02:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing that really took me by surprise was Mellie being raped by her father-in-law.
    I was sure Olivia’s mother was alive, that plot has been, and always will be, used a lot – I just didn´t expect the cage:)
    About the acting, I´ve said this before and will repeat it – the best acting in the show belongs to Bellamy Young, hands down!

Comment by Mary – November 15, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time to bring David Rosen back so he can help with the legal aspect of taking Rowan down.

Comment by Joe – November 15, 2013 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m starting to be curious about Mellie’s dad. The flashback I’m waiting for is Cyrus and James wedding. As for this episode: favorite scene was Mellie in the oval putting a little estrogen on the rug.

Comment by scampi745 – November 15, 2013 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the golden rule for being a member B613 is you cannot have a family. So was the dirty bomb/locking Olivia mother in a dungeon for 20+ years/sending Olivia to boarding school/changing his name – an elaborate plan formulated by Eli so he could join B613 as Rowan? The guy is barbaric enough to do this.
    How was the agent hired by Fitz able to find out that Eli/Rowan was Olivia father when Cyrus has basically had two kill files on Olivia (in Season 1 & 3) and not able to find this information. I still not clear how/why Fitz and “Cyrus” never knew that Eli/Rowan was Olivia’s father. Of course we are not sure if Cyrus knows or not about Rowan being Olivia’s father.

Comment by Overthinking – November 15, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do not think Cyrus knows.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he knows… their relationship seems pretty deep to me… but I could be wrong. I guess we will find out!

Comment by fatalsin – November 15, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually think maybe his wife is WHY B613 isn’t allowed to have relationships. I’m leaning toward the idea that his wife was responsible for the bomb in some way, but even if not, he saw the conflict in trying to do the “job” vs. protecting the people he loves, and from that point forward, no B613 member could have a family.

Comment by JenM – November 15, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed last nights episode even though I called the mom being alive. Im assuming that the writers want people to feel for Mellie and know that she loves Fitz and I do feel for her, but the way she easily used her rape as leverage to become Big Jerrys puppet master so to speak worries me & makes me wonder if the way dhr acted in episode 211 all giddy was because she started a full blown affair with Jerry which in turn means both Jerry & Karen are Fitzs siblings. Reaching I know but I still need to know what turned their marriage sour? Is it because she had to give herself to Big Jerry on another occasion & Fitz really didnt have the ambition? Her flashback just wasnt cohesive to her personality & actiins over the last 2 seasons. Just my 2 cents though

Comment by emw – November 15, 2013 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my God, Bellamy Young. You knocked it out of the park. Fav. scene was in the oval office. More Mellie-centric episodes, pleaseeee!

Comment by Liam – November 15, 2013 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love scandal it’s my guilty pleasure,but I don’t want it to turn into a soap opera

Comment by Sandra – November 15, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dear, I think we have been done crossed that bridge

Comment by Cece – November 15, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A bit late, it already is a soap opera!:)

Comment by Mary – November 15, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Olivia’s mom is a terrorist? That seems to be what Scandal is teasing up. That black bag she was leaving the house with and the somber goodbye to young Olivia. Wow @ the rape scene and of course one of the kids is Sr. Grant’s. Puts Mellie in clearer context also the fact that she was surrounded by FItz, Sr. Grant, and Cyrus backing her into that good supportive wife role and leaving her brains secondary.

I want Quinn to die. Is she bringing any value to the office. You could see that setup coming a mile away and I can’t wait for her to be killed off.

Comment by vi1715 – November 15, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get why they could stop the plane and remove a passenger they suspected of planting a bomb, then shoot the thing down before the dirty bomb could land in London – why wouldn’t they just NOT LET THE PLANE TAKE OFF AT ALL?! I don’t believe Mama Pope is a terrorist, but there is still so much to learn here we’d better buckle ourselves in.

Comment by Aeol – November 15, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been thinking about that. Two ideas: 1) They didn’t learn of the bomb until after take-off and/or 2) Maya was removed for an independent reason, or was being protected by those who set the bomb.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 15, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Another idea is that a decoy bomb was removed but the real bomb was still on board.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode totally blew me away! It was one jaw-dropping moment after another and I’m still reeling from all the reveals! And poor Mellie – that was the most shocking scene to me and you just know her son will turn out to be Sen. Grant’s. CRAZY!! Loved Bellamy Young especially tonight. That girl can BRING. IT.

Questions: Do you think Liv’s mom planted the dirty bomb and that’s why she is locked away? When will Quinn tell Huck she was roped into B613? Will Jake survive this season? When will the paternity issue come out?

Comment by Lesleykay – November 15, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoever said Mellie was a power whore really didn’t understand how that came to be. Imagine being raped by your father in law and being able to turn that rage into a successful political career for your husband! It is wise to withhold judgement until one knows someone’s complete background.

Comment by Jains – November 15, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hold on….so first, they use rape as a way of humanizing Mellie to the audience. Then she turns around and uses it to her advantage – I find that whole storyline deplorable and extremely offensive. But then the episode ends with the implication that their oldest son might not be Fitz’s?! How am I supposed to even believe that for a second when it was clearly pointed out in the flashbacks that Mellie and Fitz were actively (ahem, very actively) trying to get pregnant? This is an unneeded storyline in a season too full of twists. I like twisty, I like the fast pace. But in an episode of many other large reveals, this felt unnecessary.

Comment by J – November 15, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Trying doesn’t always mean succeeding. Maybe Fitz is shooting blanks. Don’t forget that a DNA test on Amanda Tanner proved the baby wasn’t his.

Comment by Cheyenne – November 17, 2013 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, why would the brilliant Mellie, first in her law class, partner in law firm, deal with all of this from Fitz’ daddy? Why did she choose to be silent and not speak to her beloved husband about the terrible injustice she has just suffered at the hands of his father? Does his feelings mean more to her than her own violation? Why does she put up with—and in many cases endorse Fitz’ relationship with Olivia? Why did Mellie feel it was important the the public perception of Fitz’s affair be reduced to a role in the hay a couple of times and not the ongoing affair that it was? She;s been more than humiliated, so why does she continue to take it?

Fitz suggested that Mellie was bascally sold to him last season. Mellie’s behavior suggests to me that the first injustice in her life came way before she met Fitz and his daddy. I would have been more interested in finding out why Mellie constantly devalues herself. Who told her that she was worthless to begin with? I would have preferred to see Mellie’s daddy. We really didn’t need a rape because I still don’t know anything more about Mellie than I did previously.

Comment by mrenee – November 15, 2013 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mrenee, each rape victim is unique, how they react, how they respond. There is no formula, no such thing as “normal”. She chose to bury it, use it and turn her rage into building her husband’s political career. Yes I think you are absolutely right. Her further back story shows more physical and/or emotionsl abuse and feelings of unworthiness.

Comment by jains – November 15, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jains, Perhaps I did not explain properly. Unfortunately, I know too well the run in the feels for someone who has been abused, so I get that. However, my larger point was that Mellie’s behaviors seems to me like they were already well in place BEFORE this incident. Why was it okay to be sold to Fitz in the first place? She seemed more interested in acquiring the position of Governor than Fitz. I didn’t see any burning desire emanting from Fitz at all. She asked the dad to apologize to Fitz so that they all could continue with the agenda? FITZ? What about her? Her entire behavior with Fitz suggest that there is major damage inside. She seems to be okay with everyone using her. I summarize that Mellie’s situation has less to do with this episode (which I totally believe was simple exploitation to facilitate a narrative) than the lost little girl that her every action reveals.

Comment by mrenee – November 15, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A million time THIS!!!!!

Comment by Euvee – November 15, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A lot of what’s happened with her and Fitz is spelled out in Cyrus’ speech to her, the “free advice”. She stopped approaching her relationship as a woman in love. Fitz is her job. So she does her job and she ignores so many of the bad husband things.

Comment by the girl – November 15, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was bananas! It just totally blew my mind. And then I remembered that one of Private Practice’s cliff hangers was when a psychotic patient cut her psychiatrist’s baby out of her womb and left her there. So . . . par for the course with Shonda. I don’t even want to comment about all of the bombshells, save that I am glad I was not the only one who noticed Fitz’s lightbulb moment about Daddy Pope. So much else happened in this episode, it could have been easily overlooked.
    Do you think that Shonda says, ‘I want a feasible scenario in which Jerry rapes Mellie,’ and her writers then sit together mapping that out? I would love to just sit in a corner and watch their process.
    And now for my standard line: I’m not trying to get ahead of Shonda and her writers. I’m just along for the ride.

Comment by LaLa – November 15, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode was crazy and so over the top but in such a good way!! So many reveals, so many more questions to ponder. Scandal is so good when it comes to interweaving flashbacks with current plot lines. Last season when Fitz’s papa came on the campaign trail I was left hating his guts by the end of the episode and this episode just put icing on the cake. Raping your own son’s wife. That is low, lower than scum. On one hand it does make you feel for Mellie and understand her character better but on the other hand it was the beginning of the Mellie we know today. She used the rape to her own advantage. Anyways can’t wait to see why Olivia’s mom has been sitting in jail for 20years. This should be a doozy lol

Comment by Scandalfan23 – November 15, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The rape was shocking and hard to watch. Mellie is amazing. I can’t believe she was strong enough to take that and use it to her advantage. Idk what I would’ve done in that situation.

Comment by tp – November 15, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if the next big plot is that Sirius has a son/daughterwho needs help and Olivia needs to fixed it. Or even better, he or she is in B613. OR he/she has a secret agenda and goes against his/her father… helping the Democrats : )

Anyway, It was clear that Liv´s mother was alive… Eli has a tendecy of sent people to holes, so not big surprised she was encarcelated for so long… There was a moment i thought that she was having an affair with the terrorist and in other moment with Fitz´s father… I guess that will be to soapish.

Queen´s downfall was predicted when Charlie and Eli chatted in the latest episodes… so i guess they will use her as a mole in Liv´s group. If i have to bet for someone dying this season, she has quite a lot of numbers

Mellie being rape for Fitz´s father was the “BIG” moment… and it explains a lot about her. I am sure there is still plenty of room for more sacrifies and nasty actions from her. I do think she loved Fitz and she still love him.

I am in love with Darcy´s caracther… i do not like how she behaves with David, but when she hugged Liv was so so so so nice….

About Harrison, something tells me that the arab guy who applied for the visa and from who m Harrison was scared to Death will tie up with Olivia´s mom in someway.

Comment by jm – November 15, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would have stayed away from the rape storyline. Shonda Rhimes did that in Private Practice. Keep the show unique. A little less overlap please.

Comment by Ange – November 15, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s a disgusting and horrific thing that happens to many women in real life. It’s terrible and difficult to sit through, but we don’t need to act like it doesn’t happen. Just because it has been seen in many shows, doesn’t make this show any less unique. All shows have similar events or use similar storylines, but manage to portray them in different ways. Private Practice was a completely different show.

Comment by abz – November 15, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have this feeling the Rowan was the good guy in the beginning and Mama Pope was the spy who had the bomb on the plane but after the plane was shot down and she some how got off thats when he most likely went digging for information and found out what she was into and THATS what turned him into who he is today.

Comment by Frankie – November 15, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post