Lifetime's Flowers in the Attic Trailer: Kiernan Shipka & Co. Show the Kids Are Not All Right

Get More: First Look, Previews, Video

Decades have passed since V.C. Andrews wrote her Flowers in the Attic novel, but a new trailer for Lifetime’s adaptation of the story shows things haven’t gotten much better for the kids upstairs.

This first look at the cable channel’s made-for-TV movie — debuting  January 18, 2014 — hints at all of the violence, mystery and naughty feelings (as well as many memorable moments) included in Andrews’ story of brothers and sisters forced to spend their formative years locked away in their sadistic grandmother’s attic.

RELATED | Scoop: Lifetime’s Flowers in the Attic Adds Orphan Black Star as Heather Graham’s Hubby

Press PLAY on the trailer below to watch stars Heather Graham (Scrubs), Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men) and Ellen Burstyn (Political Animals) get their gothic on, then hit the comments: Are you planning a January trip to the Attic?

Comments (14)

• darn…. video already taken down

Comment by Tammy – November 14, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh, I really wanted to see the trailer. It’s already taken down.

Comment by Nikki – November 14, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems to be working just fine now. And I’m very excited for this reboot! Can’t wait!

Comment by Thea – November 14, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched – it was good… Hope this version is better than the other one!

Comment by kb23 – November 14, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously cannot wait! That trailer already looks 100x better than the 1987 version since it looks as if they are keeping a certain storyline in. I actually LOL’d at the line “The book you were forbidden to read” because my mom was the person who gave me a copy at age 12 and I took it to school to read.

Comment by TheTVJunkee – November 14, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was the other way around for me. My older sister and I read it, and when our mom asked if she could borrow our copy we strongly recommended that she not pick it up. She thanked us later when she saw the craptastic movie when it was released. I’m hoping the new version is a good one.

Comment by Cate Amos – November 14, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely a very different kind of project from Lifetime. It looks great! Heather Graham is always a guilty pleasure to watch for me.

Comment by Kyle C. – November 14, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got it from the local library….one of the first books that I read. I was soo naive and innocent I didn’t get the big deal with the books until years later when I grew up. I feel kinda sick that I liked the books!

Comment by Sparky – November 14, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved that book when I was young, I didn’t realize how creepy it was until I was older as well.

Comment by BabyFirefly – November 14, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks good. Kiernan Shipka is great on Mad Men so that’s a plus. Caught the cover of “Sweet Child O’ Mine” in the video.

Comment by DanielleZ – November 14, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, she’s very talented – except every time I see Kiernan, I think Betty Draper is going to pop out from behind a corner and yell at Sally. “Sally, come here right now – Bobby, go to your room.”

Comment by TV Scout – November 14, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure what to think about this one. The trailer for “Anna Nicole” looked pretty decent, but the actually movie ended up being complete garbage.

I hope that’s not the case for this one.

Comment by Andrew – November 14, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • $hit. The trailer hardly shows anything in the film yet! What a waste of a so-called “trailer”!

Comment by Stephen V – November 14, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the book. Hope the movie does it justice.

Comment by Marilyn A. Bridges Henninger – November 15, 2013 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post