Vampire Diaries Stars Talk Delena 'Tension,' Stelena's 'Faded' Romance and Katherine's Love

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersFans of The Vampire Diaries‘ Damon/Elena and Stefan/Elena, brace yourselves: Both the current couple and the erstwhile pair are looking at bumpy roads ahead.

After finding out that versions of Stefan and Elena have been drawn to each other over the centuries, Damon made it clear that he wasn’t going to allow the universe to get in the way of his romance with the Whitmore college freshman. But that’s easier said than done.

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Season 5 Spoilers — Elena, Katherine and Amara Scene

“It’s the elephant in the room,” describes Nina Dobrev during a TVLine visit to the show’s Atlanta set. “When you’re in a relationship and there’s an ex-boyfriend around, the significant other is always like, ‘Hmm, I wonder…’ There’s always that insecurity. They might say that it’s OK, but it’s in the back of their mind. It’s the same thing with Elena and Damon. He’s pretending to be OK with it, but he can’t unthink and unknow what he heard and what he knows now.”

Having that little destiny nugget tucked away in Damon’s mind “will always cause tension in their relationship moving forward,” continues the actress.

“Relationships are hard in life. Relationships are really hard in Mystic Falls,” adds Ian Somerhalder. “If you don’t have conflict, you have no drama; and if you have no drama, you have no TV show. So relationships don’t last that long in Mystic Falls, unless, clearly, you’re a freakin’ doppelganger and the universe draws you two together.”

RELATED | The CW Picks Up The Originals, The Tomorrow People and Reign for Full Seasons

Damon might be secretly concerned about his girlfriend’s pull to her ex/his brother, but the question remains: Does Stefan even want to be with Elena right now? “I think their love has faded,” admits Paul Wesley. “It’s dissipated.”

The universe, though, might have other plans. “It’s kind of like when you go to a fortune teller and they tell you, ‘You’re going to end up with this person.’ And you’re like, ‘Really?’ And you can’t help but in the back of your mind think that the fortune teller might be correct,” Wesley says of the intel about Stelena’s decades-spanning romance. “It’s one of those things, even though you don’t really see yourself with that person.”

As the younger Salvatore’s mindset changes  – “Right now, Stefan’s taking some time to himself. He’s 160 years old, so maybe he’s kind of over relationships?” muses Wesley – his connection with big bro Damon has taken a turn, too, to a place where “five seasons in, it’s not really contentious at this point anymore.”

Vampire Diaries Season 5 SpoilersOddly enough, the historically at-odds brothers aren’t even battling over Elena’s affections anymore, adds Wesley. “[Maybe] a little bit, but not really… That triangle is, to be honest, a bit on the backburner right now.”

Will all that change now that Stefan has his memories back? It actually seems unlikely that the vamp will be drawn back to his old love just because he remembers her. “There would have been more of a shot of them getting in the sack if he didn’t have his memories,” says Wesley with a laugh. “That’s usually how it works. ‘Let’s forget about everything that’s happened. Let’s get busy.’”

Meanwhile, there’s another factor complicating this already messy romantic triangle: Katherine, who has “lingering love for one of the brothers that we learn more about as episodes progress,” reveals Dobrev. “She does love one of the brothers. Almost like Elena has chosen, Katherine has chosen and we see that unfold.”

The Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8/7c on The CW.

1. KC says:

I really, really liked how it was back in season 1 and 2 (i think it was in season 2 also..) when Damon was badass. I don´t like how they have changed their ways of beeing. Stefan dosen´t fit to be the “bad boy” and Damon the “good guy” sure, Damon can be nice and so but to to much. I´m a huge Damon fan, so of course I want people to like him, but right now I think it´s gone to far. Elena is a vampire, and were right back to the triangle we already went throw with Katherine. It´s starting to get boooooring. I wish there could be a way to turn back time, and not do allt this changes.. Still a VD fan, but naa.. not as much as before. I think I will go back to the first two seasons and watch them ;)

2. hannah says:

I’m also a die-hard stelana fan. I loved their relationship in seasons 1 & 2 and I hated what elana and Damon did to Stephan. Elena should have stayed away from Damon when she was with Stephan and knew Damon was in love with her. And Damon should have stayed away from his brother’s girlfriend. But I haven’t lost hope in stelana because they’re relationship made this show. If elana gets together with Aaron, and Stephan ends up with Katherine or Caroline then I will probably just stop watching the show. The other relationships I am rooting for is Datherine and klaroline.

3. Sandra says:

Damon deserves to be happy. He has suffer a lot of emotional rejection from his past.(katherina Petrova).

4. cthemby_lulu says:

I’ve read all your comments n still think elena is selfish…stefan deserves much better

5. Chantall says:

Delena are cute mmm hunky Damon

6. Chantall says:

Hey wait dont rag on Damon he makes elena feel free like she can be herself.Damon admitted to him being bad and selfish he said that to elena many times but she still chose him besides the whole bad boy image suits him

7. Chantall says:

Well Damon is misunderstood remeber stefan aint such a good guy i mean the guy killed both his parents and he was a ripper(so much for a good guy) atleast Damon doesnt pretend who he is besides over the centuries all the ladies have chosen stefan so its Damons turn now.i cant really blame elena for falling for the Dark haired,crystal eyed bad boy she needed some excitement as he is unpredictable and can be charming and near the end of season3 where he declares his love to elena but compells her to forget you can see he gets emotional..so u never know what to expect from him..oh well stefan became boring everything was so routine with him gooo team delena

• awgeeez says:

Stefan killed their dad because he wanted to kill all vampires (including Stefan)…their mother died of consumption…

8. Katie says:

Damon and Elena will be together, even though no one wants them together they still fight to be happy. Stephan was never exciting, Elena was always bored. Damon keeps her excited, and he deserves to have her. Stephan always gets what he wants, it’s time Damon got the girl. Have you forgotten that Damon wouldn’t even be a vampire if Stephan hadn’t made him turn. Stephan is just always causing problems. & Damon is still always there for him.

• awgeeez says:

I think YOU were bored…Elena loved her some Stefan…now she loves her some Damon (for whatever reason)….Damon is still there for Stefan, by sleeping with his ex and showing what a fickle little girl Elena is. Great job big bro!

• Chantall says:

Well all the ladies chose stefan over the centuries its Damons turn now..he really loves elena and like i said in my prevous comments Damon has admitted to being a bad ass everytimg but elens chooses to stay with him

• Chantall says:

She loves him because she sees the good in him.. Stefan should get another love intrest

• Chantall says:

I think stefan can be happy withou elena..the writers should bring in a new love intrest(one that doesnt look like elena). I think the whole enzo Damon bro-mance is becoming intresting..and pleasee bring klaus back

9. Joanna says:

I am a stelena fan as well truely hope they change some things about her and pair her with stephan again sometime soon…..i do hope they bring in some one for damon though some hot new girl who is the cause for him and elenas breakup….i do not like katherine please get rid of her shes a heartless b and will always be…elena and stephen need to be and yes end this damn trianlge already make a choice….hell bring in new people for elena stephen and damon for a while but elena and stephen need to be again eventually….i like bonnieand jeremy caroline would be cute with jesse roomate….please make changes soon starting with getting rid of katherine and breaking up damon and elena

• Chantall says:

I think Damon loved elena as a human and as a vampire the moment elena became a vampie stefan wanted her to be human again because he was scared that he wouldnt love elena as a vampire Damon loves her so much that he would break up with her to protec her

10. monica says:

i really hate delena they drive me crazy and it was really pathetic watching that whore sleepwith damon and stefan should really leave and ignore them until elena cant take it anymore and just beg him as for damon he can go die in a hole he is the worst kind of brother u can have for stefan i must hurt to walk in on those two selfish brats making love

11. Moa says:

I want Delena to keep growing, i ship Delena so much, but yeah i think Elena has been getting a lot more boring..haha and i think Katherine is a lot more funnier.
    Katherine should be together with Stefan, and Damon and Elena should continue because it wouldn’t be fun to watch if Stelena would get back together she has changed now and that’s it.
    Caroline and Stefan? no way, she’s his new Lexie, and it wouldn’t have worked.
    I’m totally wishing for Klaus and Caroline haha… idk why actually.

12. samuelsco says:

I just want Elena to die she is booooring and hurts Stefan which I hate

13. iLOVE.DaM0N says:

Get over it Elena and Damon are amazing together their love has a Spark that she and Stefan NEVER had and I think they should end up together no matter what Stefan kan move on or go back to his evil ex if she cares about him so much then why doesn’t she just make better choices and then he will maby go to her…..

14. Scarlett armitage says:

no no no, you’re all wrong, Damon’s love for Elena is more than what it leads

15. Scarlett armitage says:

No no no, you’re all wrong. Damon’s love for Elena is more than what it leads on. The fact that he loves her that much and he loves his brother so he’s willing to sacrifice his feelings for Stefan to be with Elena when really Damon is the one who deserves to be with the love of his life. Stefan made Damon drink the blood and become a monster that he never wanted to be, Stefan is the one who was the ripper, just because Damon played the bad guy doesn’t mean he doesn’t get the happy ending, why should Stefan have her after what he’s done he’s just as bad. And Damon has done bad, but his love for Elena is the best for her. Damon deserves his happy ending.

Although Stefan’s love is pure it’s not good for her, Damon however makes her feel alive, he surprises her in the most loving way possible and he’s always the one there when she’s hurt and she wakes up to him. Damon’s love is the one what will never die.

And plus I’m not a massive Stefan fan.

16. Scarlett armitage says:

Also Damon loved her as a vampire and human, Stefan saw a different person soon as she turned. Damon stayed true

17. buttrfly78 says:

Who’s for giving old Matty blue eyes another shot with Elena? Why not? Then Damon can threaten him every episode and Stefan can brood until he snaps too! Could be fun… Hmm… Who knows what Caroline would do! I think I’ve just uncovered a great new love triangle or would it be like a rectangular sort of shape? Lol!
    Who’s with me??? He he!

18. yolandi says:

I love damon and elana love the show I am a biiiiiig fan love every about the show keep doing what u do elana and damon is so epic love theme

19. iesha says:

I hated that she became a vampire as much as I wanted her to turned I hate her now especially since she’s with Damon Stefan and Elena fit Damon is an Ass and they need to rewrite this

20. Summer Mitchell says:

Please Julie and Plec…let Damon and Elena be endgame. Don’t disappoint the majority of your fans.

21. jlechuqa says:

Elena is a little b****. She needs to be with Stefan. I don’t even want to watch the show anymore, because its bs. Damon always swoops in to get his brother’s girlfriend & Elena basically kicked Stefan to the curb after all he did for her & yet HE STILL LOVES HER. I hope she either finds someone else to love other than the Salvatore brothers or gets with Stefan because this little triangle makes her look like a dirty little witch. I’d kill her myself if I was apart of the show. Her character is starting to irritate me. I use to adore her & now I want her gone.

22. Ainara says:

Okey… No e of the people that said that they prefer Katherine to Elena and that they with for Elena to die arent tvd fans you just like to troll around the internet , I mean Elena is the main character on the show and she is amazing , I mean she would sacrifice herself for any of her loved ones , she’s good .

23. my daughter thinks that elena should move on and go back to stephen he loves her