Nashville's Charles Esten on Deacon's Return From Rock Bottom, Thoughts on Rayna/Luke

Nashville Season 2 Spoilers Charles Esten Deacon Rayna MaddieThere’s not much in life compelling enough to lure Nashville‘s Deacon, hand injured and spirit bruised, back behind a guitar.

Indeed, ever since the Season 1 finale car crash that left him impaired — and Rayna in a coma — the former band leader has barely touched the instrument that made him famous.

But in this week’s episode (airing Wednesday at 10/9c on ABC), Maddie decides she wants to get to know her biological father a bit better, so they bond over their shared love of six-strings.

VIDEO PREVIEW | Nashville Exclusive: Juliette and Her Married Man Get Down in Her Dressing Room

“The thing I really like about the writing is that [Maddie asks Deacon for] guitar lessons,” Charles Esten tells TVLine, adding hat Mr. Claybourne is quick to downplay the significance of the gesture.

“I go, ‘What? I’ve known her since she was a baby. I know how to play guitar. This shouldn’t be that difficult,'” Esten previews, laughing. “But that’s just kidding yourself that any relationship with any teenager — any kid at all — is going to be that easy.”

RELATEDSpoiler Alert!: Bold ScandalNashvilleMentalist Predictions! Plus: Arrow and Sleepy Scoop

Nashville Season 3 Spoilers Charles EstenNot to mention that Deacon having a relationship with Lennon Stella’s Maddie means he’ll definitely be in Rayna’s orbit, despite their agreement to maintain some distance. “We are both trying to do our very best by her,” he notes, “even if we haven’t done right by each other.” (On a related note, wondering how Deacon will react when he finds out that old pal Luke Wheeler has his eye on Rayna? “Well, that’s tough, because she’s made it clear that it’s not us right now,” Esten says. “And yet, there will always be something there, no doubt.”)

He adds that in the episode, Rayna also serves as a “catalyst”for what may be the next phase of her former lover’s career: “what happens when you can’t be that side man anymore — maybe you need to step up in front of that microphone. We explore that a lot in this episode,” particularly in comedic scenes involving Jonathan Jackson’s Avery. “He’s a little bit of my straight man.”

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Nashville Spoilers!

Light moments with Avery? Sweet connections to Maddie? Can this be the same Deke who, just a few episodes ago, snarled “I”m nobody’s damn father!” at Scarlett in a prison vistors’ room?  “He’s coming around in a lot of different ways,” Esten says, previewing both a scene in which Deacon plays a slide guitar (which is much easier on his busted paw) and the possibility of a Maddie-Deacon duet.

“I was just as anxious as anybody, because you’re not going to find a bigger fan of [Stellas sister act] Lennon and Maisy than me. So that might be in the offing,” he says. “It’s real sweet that [Maddie] is part of the group that’s bringing Deacon alive again and back into the world.”

1. Ohhh…. this just made me smile and go into a fangirl flail all at the same time. I’d so much rather see this than Rayna and her Man O’The Week or the Teddy/Peggy travesty that continues to suck up air time.

2. mel says:

I can’t wait for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. Emgee says:

I just want Deacon/Charles to perform the song he and Gary Nicholson wrote called “Scars.” I want a studio version of that song, because it is one of the most amazing songs I have ever heard.

4. Amie says:

Very glad to hear all of this. Deke and Charles Esten are the highlight of the show for me.

5. Kiks says:

Charles esten/deacon is the best thing gng on for Nashville…

6. leola says:

Love and can’t wait to see it.

7. Shanag says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Kim!! Can’t wait for tonight’s episode. God knows who Deacon and Rayna’s breakup with all it’s implications took a toll on all of us…

8. Ella says:

I have literally JUST realized that this is the same guy from Whose Line Is It Anyway. WOW.

9. sarah says:

I am looking forward to seeing Deacon and Maddie bond.
    Deacon however has not right to be jealous of Luke and Rayna, he is in his own happy relationship and Rayna handled it well when she saw them at the polo match.

10. shar says:

So excited to see Deacon and Maddie bonding. Still hoping for a Deacon/Rayna future. I want to see more Gunnar and Avery performaing together. Love this show!!!

11. Rose says:

Rayna & Deacon make the show!

12. Jen says:

Can’t wait to see this! I’ve been wanting to see Deacon and Maddie bond. The scenes with Avery who I’m really liking this year should be great too. I can’t help it but I’m still totally rooting for Deacon and Rayna. I just love Deacon and he’s the best part of the show.

13. Amy says:

Brilliant! Having Maddie help bring Deke back musically, while they build their newfound father/daughter bond…this just may be the best idea Nashville’s cooked up lately. And if they develop this with time, depth and follow-thru for a change…they just might know what they are doing over at ABC, finally! I’m all-in! Can’t wait for tonight’s episode. Also, more Avery, as “straight-man” to Deke too…icing on my little cake. :) Thanks for the sneak peak, Kimberly!

14. andrea says:

The Deacon/Rayna chemistry is thru the roof and I just love the idea of Deacon and Maddie, having a Father/Daughter bond.

Make this family happen, show!

15. Through this you can get companionship for many reasons, you can hire a girl for evening parties, social meetings, and all sorts of
    events. Pakistan is now indeed a team in the exile after the attacks of
    March 3, which astounded the world cricketing. People
    can comment anonymously on the internet what you
    want, is totally unpunished and if they do not mean any harm can
    be avoided.

16. S GRAHAM says:

DEACON AND SCARLET ARE MY FAVORITES BUT THIS LUKE GUY IS PRETTY COOL.LIKE TO SEE RAYNA AND DECON BACK TOGETHER EVEN THOUGH LUKE IS MY THIRD FAVORITE.I CANT BELIEVE THIS SHOW IS MOT NUMBER 1.