TV Adaptation of Ghost Is in the Works -- Who Would You Cast as Its Leads?

Ghost TV adaptationDust off the old pottery wheel: There’s a small-screen adaptation of Ghost in the works.

RELATED | Angela Lansbury Says NBC’s Murder, She Wrote Remake Is a ‘Mistake’ — Find Out Why

Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code), who also penned a dozen episodes of Fox’s cult classic Fringe, and producer Jeff Pinkner (Lost, Fringe, Alias) will team up on a pilot script based on the 1990 Patrick Swayze-Demi Moore romantic thriller for Paramount’s recently relaunched TV division, according to our sister site Deadline.

Ghost, in which Swayze’s murdered character comes back in spectral form to put away his killer and reconnect with his mourning love, won two Academy Awards — one for Best Original Screenplay and one for Whoopi Goldberg as Best Supporting Actress — and was nominated for three others, including Best Picture.

Are you digging the idea of a small-screen Ghost? Who would you cast in the lead roles? I’ll go out on a limb and suggest The Killing‘s Joel Kinnaman and Friday Night Lights‘ Adrianne Palicki as the central lovers, and perhaps Sherri Shepherd as the hilarious medium. Boom! Done!

Or maybe not. I’m sure you’ve got better suggestions, so have at it down in the comments.

1. Scott says:

James Lafferty & Lilli Taylor

2. Scott says:

Oops I meant James Lafferty & Liv Tyler :)

3. steven says:

Patrick Swayze is rolling in his grave. His ghost should haunt the people who are keeping the movie from letting it rest in peace.

4. Paulo says:

Jason Dohring would be good as the male lead.

• mia says:

Jason Dohring would be amazing as the friend you think is responsible for the main character’s death, but obviously there will have to be a twist so it’s different and he’s the guy left alive at the end. He’s pretty awesome at making you not like him and not trust him, yet love him at the same time.

5. Scott says:

And the fantastic Tina Turner or The equally fantastic Patti Labelle for Whoopi’s role

6. Andy says:

I’m not even sure I would watch a Ghost TV show, but having Sherri Shepherd as the medium would definitely lead to me not watching it. Having her on HIMYM this season has made me certain of that. Yvette Nicole Brown might be fun to have after Community finishes, which might be at the end of this season.

7. Amanda says:

So weird. I’m going to see the musical next week…but hmmm. Not sure how I exactly feel about it. I think it could work well as a series, but I’m just not sure it needs to be done.

8. McGee says:

Tom Welling & Erica Durance with the medium played by __________

9. Fernanda says:

We had a kind of Ghost series when the husband of Jennifer Love Hewitt in Ghost Whisperer dies. What happen hollywood? No more ideas? the next shows Dirty Dancing series(I remember, it was did and cancelled) The Notebook the series, Pretty Woman the series??

• Ashbash says:

I hate to admit it but I would a the notebook the series or pretty woman the series. I sad as it is to admit I want those shows to happen….

• Meg says:

I’d only like Notebook the series with Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams, which would pretty much never happen. But I would enjoy it.

10. Hadley says:

First, I don’t think they should reboot this as a TV series. Second, if Tony Goldwyn is not in it, what’s the point?

11. Jason says:

Michael Cera and Kate Upton!!!! Selena Gomez as the Whoopi Goldberg character!!

12. Barb says:

The second Swayze movie announced where a ‘remake’ / revamp is in the works. What gives???

13. mantua says:

Ben McKenzie (he does have that ‘ditto guy’ vibe)
    Alexis Bledel (would be great to see her back on TV, also OT but she would make a perfect Lady Grantham in the prequel series)
    Octavia Spencer (she would NAIL this like nobody’s business…not a fan of the Murder She Wrote remake idea)
    Jason Dohring (if there is one thing he does extremely well it is to play a bad boy you actually care for)

14. Gilda says:

John Cho and Evangeline Lily.
    If murder, she wrote doesn’t work out, Octavia Spencer would be great as the medium.

15. This is as outrageous as doing a remake of Dirty Dancing. No one will come near
    Patrick’s performance. Rest in peace Patrick.

16. Alicia says:

Tom Welling all the way as the lead man and I think Anna Torv together would be awesome! Lets mix two of my favorite sci-fi shows to get awesomeness.

Or if they are going for slightly older people as the characters I would say Mark Valley and Paget Brewester.

17. Et al says:

Blair Underwood and Angela Lansbury.

18. Ella says:

FFS. WHYYYYYYYY?

19. Maki says:

Sandra Oh obviously! she is looking for work. She could either be lead or the medium and male lead hmmmm the guy that played Danny on GA. he was obviously a great ghost.

20. Stormy says:

Apart from the pottery scene with Bobby Hatfield’s wonderful redo of Unchained Melody, I never thought the film was all that. Hollywood is remake crazy. I’m so glad some cable channels are doing worthwhile new things like Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. What’s next? Remaking GWTW, Singing In The Rain, The Color Purple, Lonesome Dove?

21. N says:

I loved that movie!

22. Ed says:

Betty White, Tim Conway and Diahann Carroll.