First Look: Castle Deals With a Baby Bombshell

To hear Joshua Gomez’s “time traveler” tell it, Castle‘s Rick and Kate will one day play parent to not one but three children. But first, baby steps — in the form of tending to an abandoned infant in the Nov. 25 episode of the ABC drama.

RELATED | Castle Season 6 Spoilers — The Latest on Several Possible Returns

In “The Good, The Bad & The Baby,” a bleeding man stumbles into a church and, just before dying, hands a smiling baby boy to the priest. In short order, Castle and Beckett find themselves serving as accidental nannies to the newborn.

Previewing this “Caskett” moment he’s been wanting to play, series creator Andrew W. Marlowe told TVLine, “If I’m a fan and I’ve been watching this show, I know a lot about Rick and Kate, but I don’t really know how they feel about kids. Does Castle want more? And for Beckett, somebody who has been pursuing her career and her job so doggedly, I’m sure it’s crossed her mind theoretically — ‘Oh, sure. I’ll have kids someday’ — but someday’s coming up.”

And what we’ve got coming up is a handful of photos from the episode, as Castle and Beckett are introduced to the tyke and come to wonder, “What child is this?” (Based on Lanie’s own look of love, maybe Espo should be taking some notes, as well.)

1. M3rc Nate says:

They just fought for a entire episode over a picture of a lion…of course the next logical step is baby talk. Lol.

• Dani says:

what? how was that a fight? it was nothing but playful banter. i mean yeah, they had a disagreement, but it was handled nicely and it ended in a romantic gesture that felt organic to where they are in their relationship and not a way to make beckett get shut up about it or anything… that’s not fighting…

• Rich Abey says:

It’s not a logical step Mr.Sherlock! It just happened..and you gotta deal with what comes your way. So you expect Kate & Castle to what..chuck the baby away? We don’t even know what exactly happens that leads to Caskett themselves caring for the baby. So don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

2. Lorena says:

Well, Castle looks happy, i really think he want more children

3. Andrea says:

I’m really looking forward to this episode! And I’m perfectly okay with Nathan holding a baby, so cute!

4. Jenni says:

Got to say, that seeing Nathan/Castle holding a baby makes me happy. Very very happy.

Shallow but true.

5. Just one thing says:

Beckett looks like he’s holding the plague, lol.

• John 1138 says:

True: :LANIE has the far more loving reaction. (To the baby or to Castle? Her face is tilted up towards him, not the baby. Hmmmmm….. now that could wake up both Espo and Kate.)

• Kristine S. says:

Where is THAT photo?

• Kristine S. says:

And by THAT photo I mean the plague photo, not the Lanie photo (in which she’s clearly looking at the baby).

• Just one thing says:

Haha, yes, Lanie looks like she only has eyes for the baby in that photo.
          The one I’m talking about is a shot of nearly the whole group, with Kate standing several feet away from Castle and the baby. Contrast that to how Castle and Lanie are acting, and I think she’ll be less than openly affectionate at first.
          If I had to choose between the two obvious routes they could go with it, Beckett being — or even pretending to be — ultra-baby-averse wouldn’t be my first choice. But it may open the door to some interesting discussion(s) between Castle and Beckett.

• Christina says:

I don’t think she’ll be baby-averse, but I have a feeling she’ll be unsure around them. I think it’ll be an episode that revolves around Castle showing/telling her she’ll be a good mom.

• Just one thing says:

I like your take on it, Christina! Uncertainty seems reasonable.

• John 1138 says:

Well her head is tilted rather far back so to me it looks like she’s aiming her face upward toward Castle.

Oh sure stills are deceptive in they catch a fragment of the actual scene… but where’s the next big angst to come from? So why not Lanie crushing on Rick, leading to Lanie having to wrestle with herself and making a nice way to wake up Espo eh?

The “plague”? Could be the longshot where her body language is maybe a bit pulled back (such as her arm position?), though zooming in her expression is pleasant enough.

• PEL says:

She can be, more likely, someone that never been around babies that much, and haven’t the first clue to even how holding them.
            Babies can be scary when you meet them for the first time.

• Apples says:

I don’t think she’ll be totally averse, just concerned about how to reconcile her career with the needs of raising her family, mixed in with a bit of insecurity about what happened to her own mother.
      I mean the last time Castle floated the idea, in Time Will Tell, she rolled her eyes, smiled and bit her lip. That’s Beckett body language screaming “Take me home and knock me up, stud”.

• Just one thing says:

That’s not quite how I interpreted her body language in Time Will Tell. :P Shocking, I know. I just figured she was up for the good-natured teasing from Castle, considering she absolutely didn’t believe the guy was telling the truth. I’m all for illuminating discussions between Castle and Beckett. They’re due for one or two.

• Rich Abey says:

Spot on! Looks like we are going to have to real fun!

6. Kristine S. says:

Ah, Castle babies. That WOULD be fun. But let’s save it for the last season and the last few episodes. A happy ending to the Castle series would be wonderful!

7. Kelsey Tape says:

Reblogged this on Love. Laugh. Always. and commented:
    This is going to be fabulous! #Caskett #Babies

8. Teri Shannon says:

Castle would have a baby with Kate any time, anywhere. I think she will be the one more apprehensive. He already has experience and she does not.

• scooby says:

Plus it’d be his 2nd. Beckett would be in the midst of firstborn raising angst. I wonder if there’ve been any studies on that about divorced parents moving on with someone who becomes a parent for the first time in that relationship. What if Castle’s stricter this time around because he knows what can go wrong and things have happened to Alexis that might make him paranoid? What if Beckett ended up being the more laid back parent? She’s been reacting like that the whole series when Castle wigs out over Alexis related things.

9. Apples says:

This ep is going to be absolutely adorable.

10. Maria says:

Oh that picture of Nathan/Castle holding a baby…melt me into a puddle.

11. Lori Anderson says:

This is going to be so fun to watch. I bet Beckett comes around and holds the baby sometime during the eposide.

12. Carolina says:

This makes me think of the episode with the dog trainer. Remember how she was initially cool with the dog and how she and Castle ended up both wanting him? Maybe they should start with a dog first.