The CW Picks Up The Originals Plus 2 Other Freshman Series For Full Seasons

The OriginalsThe Mikaelson clan’s centuries-long lifespan shows no signs of ending: The CW has picked up Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals for a full season. Additionally, the network has also extended back-nine orders to its two other freshman dramas — Reign and The Tomorrow People.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

The network previously ordered additional scripts of all three series.

The Originals has been performing solidly in the ratings, nearly matching venerable lead-in Supernatural most weeks. Tomorrow People and Reign haven’t fared nearly as well, although both shows held steady in their most recent outings (and, in case you didn’t get the memo, flat is the new up).

Which of the three pickups are you most excited about? Sound off below.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Full-Season Pick-Ups, News

1. Jennifer says:

I like TVD and Reign. I can’t seem to watch Arrow for anything but I know plenty of people who like it. I don’t understand how the Carrie Diaries got a second season. It was pretty terrible. I haven’t seen the tomorrow people not have I watched supernatural in years. I do watch beauty and the beast but I admit it’s pretty bad. (I love corny) I would hate to see Reign cancelled when it does genuinely seem promising. With nikea ending this year, it shouldn’t be too much to hope for, right?

2. Tiffany says:

Reign is amazing its just sad that they attached it to such a hopeless story. I wish they had just made up the story line instead of pulling it from tragic history pages. Don’t get me wrong I love the show and I’m crossing my fingers for another season. On the other hand Beauty and the beast is an utter failure. What a beautiful story for yet another cop themed show. Boo… hoo…What a waste of a series. I never thought our precious CW would sink down to cop shows. Other then that and the Carrie Diaries, the CW is doing pretty well for them selves.

• Chereise says:

Beauty and the beast does lack that magic something that hooks you and you’re heart to watch every episode with any suspense. Why? Who cares!! I watched the first few episodes but due to lack of character and chemistry I quickly abandoned that sinking ship!

3. Chereise says:

Love originals and reign… Tomorrow people I find lacking well everything.

4. Jen says:

Thrilled about Reign. It’s smartly written with good actors. I so want to like Tomorrow People but the acting is sub-par. also, the writing tends to move towards teen drama too much in my opinion. I am loving The Originals much more than TVD at this point. TVD has been a tad slow the last couple of seasons. So glad they are done with the Silas storyline. I am excited about the new plot line though (finally). Love the CW. It’s just fun tv.

5. Gidget says:

Love love love reign!!!! I have grown an addiction for this show so hoping it continues.

6. Lezlie says:

I am totally hooked on The Originals and Reign both. My husband and I both already were TVD addicts and we feel a little guilty that we may love The Originals even more ;) If Reign gets cancelled I will be sick because its such a guilty pleasure and I love the drama and time period of it even if it isn’t “historically accurate”…seriously…its not the history channel! Who cares? haha

• Tanya Dunlap says:

I love The Originals way more than TVD. I’m 41 and I believe it appeals more to the adult fans than teens. I still watch TVD but I sometimes tire of Eleina and her drama; first highschool, now college setting. I like that The Originals is set in New Orleans and has nothing to do with highschool drama; Though, I do like Devina, the teen witch. I’m fascinated by the ending of this weeks episode. I don’t want to spoil it for those who havent seen it yet.

After seeing all of the positive comments on Reign, I may give it a go; the previews seemed to be about teen characters again and I am just bored with that. I am an avid Game of Thrones fan and just not sure Reign could fill that spot until the new season of GOT.

7. Misti says:

I love The Originals and Reign! I hope they get multiple seasons.. Im still ticked that The Secret Circle was knocked off.. i think Nikita and BATB are less interesting than S.S or Reign… I have a feeling reign will only be a 1 seasoner since Francess died right after marring Marry in real life :/ but I love Mary and want to see how she goes on

8. jo.g says:

Who says Reign is flat? When my friend told me that CW was planning on cancelling it i almost had a heart attack and i also almost cried….got so attached to this on the first episode i got sooo hooked. good costumes,good actors and actresses,good plot, good everything. <3

9. Lisa Demor says:

Please don’t cancel Reign I love the show. It is by far my favorite show in a long time!!!! These Actors were able to hit the roles perfect from day one and deserve a chance.

10. Looloo says:

Soooooo happy reign and the originals are still on they are amazing I can’t get enough of reign.

11. Jt Santana says:

I’m so glad they are keeping all three, Nick Klaus is my hero, after watch the first couple of episodes of reign was hooked

12. Reign addict says:

I love reign they seriously need to do more seasons people are really catching on to this show it is amazing please renew or a lot of people are going to be disappointed.Btw my #1 is always TVD so yeah ):. The originals beauty and the beast and Carrie diaries are all good to!!

13. jimmy says:

I mean I don’t know about you guys but I’m still not over The Secret Circle.

but yay for The Tomorrow People, big fan!

14. Jilianne Emans says:

I LOVEEEE REIGN!!!!!!!!

15. Phoebe says:

I like to know that my new favourite show ‘Reign’ is continuing, but when is it returning after the mid season finally??? I need a date

16. Wow! I am so surprised by the amount of comments! As a VD fan, I knew I would love the Originals, I believe that CW and the writers were VERY smart in creating this show. After watching the originals on VD, they became the Villains that we loved to hate, yet not want dead! What is a better solution to this problem than to give them their own show? One show I did NOT expect to love is Reign…I am not a fan of shows set in a different era, so had no intentions of watching Reign, however, I have found myself to be so excited when i see on my hulu list that Reign has a New Episode!! I believe that I now watch every one of the CWs shows except for the Carrie Diaries(having a hard time staying interested). Nikita is another one that took me by surprise, but I recently started it and am not up to current episodes, too bad it is being cancelled now :(. Keep up the good work CW and I look forward to seeeing the new shows! BTW…I would not be against the people at the network rounding up the cast of Secret Circle and giving it a second shot!!

17. I love the CW, thankfully they are not like ABC Family that tends to have all shows that leave us constantly trying to figure out who did what or what is going on…I do watch those shows, ie: Twisted, Pretty Little Liars, Ravenswood, The Lying Game, these all had the same theme of us not knowing the answers to questions!

18. Tilly Hoe says:

I love Reign! I’ll be so upset if they cancel it tbh

19. Eva says:

I LOVE reign and The Originals, I do watch TTP but won’t be rly upset if it gets cancelled

20. Stephanie says:

If there isn’t a second season of reign I will cry, it’s such an amazing show. I can’t get enough if it. Who cares if its not historically accurate. It’s an amazing show! So much love for it I really hope the ratings go up because this deserves a second season! Much love for that show and bash is really hot.i need to see that face every Thursday night. It gives me life.

21. Susan says:

Reign is amazing!!!!! I love that show ugh why doesn’t it have more ratings its great always has me at the edge of my seat never know what’s gonna happen its great I love everything about it, the attractive people. Intense scenes if people just gave it a chance they’d be in love with it as all the reign fans. It’s one of those shows that you either are in complete love with it or you just don’t like it. And in my opinion everyone loves it, others doesnt even give it a chance and you should!

22. Caroline birch says:

I looooove reign! :)

23. Emily Neal says:

I love love love Reign! TVD and Originals were my absolute favorite but Reign is pushing towards first place quickly!! I love it as well do my teenage daughters!

24. Julie says:

I really hope Reign doesn’t get cancelled! I’m addicted, it’s a great show :)

25. Lisa says:

My entire family LOVES Reign! We’re all hooked (:

26. Victoria says:

I love Reign. My favorite drama in a long time. I’m hooked!

27. Victoria says:

I love Reign. My favorite drama in a long time. I’m hooked! The actors are believable and enjoyable to watch and the costumes are stunning. I am hoping for a season 2.

28. Oh my goodness it never occurred to me that Reign could be cancelled! Say it won’t ever happen as it’s one of my favorites! It deserves to continue on this season and to have another season! It’s up there on my most watched along with TVD, The Originals and Once Upon a Time!

29. Tanya Dunlap says:

ORIGINALS!! I love it. I caught on to The Vampire Diaries in 2nd Season but got really interested when Joseph Morgan and The Original vampires entered the scene. I knew I would love The Originals spin-off. I think I like it more than TVD because it’s not all about teens and highschool drama, which TVDs now college drama, still pretty teen oriented though. The Originals seems to have veered away from the teen drama and be tailored more for adult supernatural drama. I don’t know if this made any sense to any of you but I know what I was trying to say. LOL. 48 hours plus of insomnia makes me a lil crazy!

30. coley79 says:

My daughter and I were very upset when the CW canceled the Secret Circle; hoping another station would pick it up. Huge TVD fan and LOVE LOVE LOVE the Originals!! But my heart is even more in love with Reign. It’s my favorite show. I’m going to be so angry if it gets canceled. I almost stopped warching the CW altogether because of the cancelation of the Secret Circle. Like BATB, Supernatural, Arrow, what can I say? I’m a CW fan, but I will be very upset if Reign is canceled. Looking forwar to Starcrossed and the 100.

31. Kailianna says:

I am so happy that they’re bringing back the Originals. I absolutely love that show

32. Lola g says:

Reign is awesome! I taped the entire season and just watched it in two days. My husband got hooked on it as well!