Parks and Recreation Cast and Creator Preview 'Very Sad' But 'Really Funny' Ann/Chris Sendoff

parks-and-rec-300Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe will soon take their leave of Parks and Recreation, but thankfully, promises Amy Poehler, no one is ever really gone when it comes to Pawnee.

“It’s really sad… to lose them and to send them off to the great big beyond,” the funnylady mused Monday at a press screening. “But we’re a really tight family here, so you never really feel like you’re saying goodbye to family; you just know won’t see them as much as you have.

“Knowing our show, no one ever really leaves Pawnee — we still call people back that did stuff in the first and second season,” she added with a laugh. “So, I’m certain that Rob and Rashida will make their way back to Pawnee as many times are we can drag them.”

VIDEO | Parks and Recreation Spoilers: Halloween Recall Election

As for what to expect from Ann and Chris’ swan song in Episode 13, Parks creator Mike Schur shared, “It’s very sad in places,” to which Poehler interrupted, “It’s so good. It is so good. Is that lame to say it’s so good? It was so good.” And if that’s not enough, piggybacked Adam Scott, “It’s really, really funny, too!”

Schur went on to assure viewers that with these departures, out of sight is most definitely not out of mind. “It’s not like [Ann] leaves and Leslie will never mention her name again,” he explained. “There will be some episodes where she deals with the ripple of Ann leaving — we’re writing that episode now.”

All in all, joked Poehler & Co., these impending exits will really only alter the show aesthetically.

Nick [Offerman] had the best quote,” she laughed, paraphrasing: “‘I think our show just got about 85 percent less attractive.'”

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Scoop

1. Frank says:

Nobody ever really leaves Pawnee?? Well I believe Mark Brendanawicz has something to say about that.

2. Mark says:

I still don’t get WHY they are leaving, exactly.

3. Sara says:

I don’t understand why they are leaving? As much as I like Chris, I also think the Ann/Leslie friendship is so important to the core of the show.

4. Ted says:

The show has major ratings problems. This will help cut the budget. It’s probably the last season, anyway.

5. Ron says:

I will probably be shedding a few tears during their departure episode. But, as this show does so brilliantly, I’m sure I’ll be laughing in between the tears from the hilarity that this show always induces. The quote from Nick that Amy paraphrased was hysterical. While I don’t fully understand why they are leaving, I certainly hope that they’ll recur somewhat regularly (*I say as I prayerfully hope NBC doesn’t Britta it by canceling it* — Yes, I just tied in another one of my favorite NBC shows with the other.)

6. Josh says:

Given that this seems like it will be the last season(:(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), I do hope that they get Rashida and Rob back just the send off…It just stinks. I want this show to go on forever.

7. ben says:

Why do people feel like *this* as opposed to any other season which rated fairly similarly, will be the last one? Are people just reacting to the November schedule change?

• Miffay says:

In prior seasons, NBC had so many holes to fill on its schedule that it didn’t have to deal with this show right away. Now, the network’s ratings are up, so they have time to deal with other problems like Thursdays. Plus the show now has enough episodes for syndication.

So, no need to continue given the poor ratings.

8. Guest says:

I know this show is on life support, because it has been since its first season. But I just really hope NBC gives it one more season after this so they can properly wrap everything up instead of ending this season not knowing and having loose ends. Heck, I would even take a shortened 13-episode season if it meant just one more. They could pair it with a 13-episode 6th season of Community and I’d be a happy camper (because I’m still holding out for #sixseasonsandamovie). Of course, I’d love if both shows continued for longer than that, but I have to be *somewhat* realistic… :/

9. Ryan Owens says:

This is LITERALLY, the saddest thing I have ever heard.

Chris was my favorite character on the show so it sucks to see him go. I still don’t understand why Rob and Rashida are leaving but I’m guessing to move on to other projects. They will be missed. Been a fan of Parks since day one and it definitely helped fill The Office void.