Spoiler Alert!: Bold Scandal, Nashville, Mentalist Predictions! Plus -- Arrow, Sleepy Scoop

spoiler alertSteer clear of this week’s Spoiler Alert! if you do not want to know A) Which couple will be getting engaged in Scandal‘s Season 3 finale, B) The identity of Red John on The Mentalist, and C) Who’s dying in Nashville‘s fall finale.

The twist? These aren’t actually spoilers as much as they are bold predictions. Of course, our crystal balls (tee-hee) have a 53 percent accuracy rate so consider yourself warned.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

But before we look to the future, Matt Mitovich, Kim Roots and I have some business to attend to with the present — specifically, the current state of sophomore shows Arrow, The Mindy Project and the aforementioned Nashville.

We also touch on last week’s big Netflix/Marvel news, and answer the provocative question: Is Sleepy Hollow moving to quickly with Abbie and Ichabod?

Speaking of questions, maybe you should stop reading this intro and start pressing PLAY below?

1. Holly says:

Annoyed that I finally watched one of these hoping to get an update on the bubble status of a show, but just got lame predictions. Ugh!

2. Pamela says:

Please type it up on the page as well for those of us who just want to skim it to find the info they are looking for and not spend 10 min watching video? Thanks.

• Che says:

Totally agree.

• dude says:

How many times are you going to complain about the same stupid thing? It’s not going to happen so just don’t watch. It’s a video, deal with it.

• dude says:

I’d never thought I’d see a generation too lazy to watch a damn video.

• tp says:

For me it’s not about being lazy. I like to read things. I have never really been into “watch this video”. Also half of the videos have some kind of audio problem for me.

• Abby says:

You don’t. You have a generation that is entitled and selective, that doesn’t feel the need to sit through information regarding shows they don’t watch or enjoy.

• ej says:

I am not entitled or selective or part of this generation you are presuming; I have a crap internet connection and cannot always spend 10 minutes at some hotspot for non-work-related stuff. It would also be nice for the hearing impaired or those of us who sometimes forget headphones at public wifi spots or have to put up with dial-up in areas were Verizon thinks it’s not cost prohibitive to put in fios and the cable service is not cost prohibitive to we of low incomes. Just uploading this reply with take a freak’n long time and I will be lucky if the page reloads. Stop assuming that everyone who wants to get news about one thing is being a spoiled brat. Those of us who don’t have an iPhone or the time or means to sit for hours at Starbucks watching videos on our computers but still like spoilers to feel invested in the shows we like may, apparently, be a minority, but we exist!

• Angela says:

So…I guess you’ve never heard of people being hearing impaired?
          Also, what the hell does the generation one belongs to have to do with any of this?

• Pat says:

Lazy people read instead of watching videos?!

• ben says:

WOW a generation too lazy to watch a video? I believe all @pamela just wanted to read an article which if you gave any thought to your “sarcastic” comment you would have realized that it takes more effort to read something than to watch it. POINT MADE.

• Missy says:

Yes, thank u…..

• Larc says:

Amen!!! I wasn’t even remotely interested in about ¾ of what they talked about. If they are too lazy to type their remarks, hire somebody to do it for them. No need to gab endlessly about something that can be covered in one concise sentence.

• flutiefan says:

Is the video close captioned? I can’t see it from my phone.

But those of us with hearing problems would appreciate a transcript-like article. It’s not necessarily lazy or entitled.

• Lauren says:

Maybe if we could show them an example of a web site that DOES provide transcripts of their video specials, they’d get the message. I myself have never ever seen such a thing, anyone have link?

• Agreed! I came here thinking the predictions would be discussed but instead they were thrown in at the end, like a passing thought! Plus, not all of the shows discussed are ones that I watch so I had to jump around, which is hard when you don’t know what they’re talking about and when. And like tp, I’m more of a reader than a video watcher (with the exception of promos and sneak peeks). So a transcript with the video would be nice.

• Juan says:

Sometimes people, it’s more about the fact that we’re looking at this article someplace where video is blocked … like in a work setting with lots of controls on their internet connection. The whole idea that more and more of these articles are becoming video based makes me want to scream.

3. Allie says:

Matt, you have always been my favorite, but throwing Grace under the plot twist bus is not cool. Please don’t be right.

• Lysh says:

Yeah, I was not expecting that. It wouldn’t make sense…like, Grace, this entire time? It would be a ballsy twist that they’d really have to work hard to sell to me.

• James says:

At first I was really shocked that Matt said this, but it actually makes sense ( in a very warped way). It could explain how Red John was always one step ahead of them. Plus, both Rigsby and Van pelt are exiting the show… The plot thickens. TM is so good this season – it doesn’t get enough praise. But, the whole rerun business is slightly tiring…

• I’ve always felt like Grace was going to be involved in some capacity.

4. kreshb says:

Oh I love spoiler alert! Keep making them always fun to discuss things we love a bit to much!

5. Babybop says:

I agree, this season of The Mindy Project has been fantastic!

6. I actually do feel the urgency to watch Nashville every episode (and stopped watching Scandal. There are only so many times a person can watch “a game change” event without being annoyed and exhausted).

Having said that, killing off Peggy or Teddy (or preferably both) might be a good idea. Their stories don’t interest anyone. It’s seems like even the writers are bored with it, and when there are so many other great storylines it’s just a waste of time. In that time Rayna could have raised the money to get out of Edgehill, start a new label with Juliette, release the new album, go on tour and maybe even speak to Deacon for more than one minute.

7. Slizabeth says:

If your Scandal prediction is true, Ausiello, when exactly does the divorce happen?! Haha skipping a key step.

• Nessie says:

Mellie has an affair with the vice presidents husband to use him as ‘her weakness’ and it leaks and gives Fitz a viable reason to divorce her?

8. Cookie126 says:

Matt, SPOILER ALERT ON THE MENTALIST – after the TV guide spoiler that came out last Monday, one of your predictions(you should know which one by now)is already proven false. I am shocked that none of u have been allowed to watch the Red John reveal yet. That sucks. I know u would be sworn to secrecy but still u should have been allowed to see it. Ausiello is very good about keeping tv secrets when told he can’t share yet.

9. Bill Cord says:

Watching videos is a waste of time. Just keypunch the material because it is quicker to read instead of watching a 10 minute video.

10. Lysh says:

I just binged on Arrow and I’m loving it. So that tease has me excited.
    Also I love the comparison with Abbie and Icabod to Mulder and Scully. I think we’re so used to those type of drawn out relationships on TV. It’s kind of refreshing to have such emotionally open law-enforcing characters.

11. tp says:

Can someone tell me the spoiler on Scandal, Arrow and Sleepy Hollow? I hate watching these videos.

12. Amanda says:

While I love me some Mindy Project, I’m frustrated with Mindy’s never ending man conveyor belt. You rag on Juliette from Nashville for sleeping around (which, admittedly, she does), but Mindy’s just as bad. It feels like she’s had a new love interest in pretty much every episode. It’s exhausting!

• neha says:

Agreed. I think that they should focus on the core cast more, rather than just having Mindy date guest star after guest star. I think that Season 1 did a better job of balancing supporting cast with Mindy’s love life. Plus, I miss the Deslaurier brothers.

13. noa says:

i actually liked season 1 of The Mindy Project more. i hate that they just completely changed an existing character (the British doctor) and the first few episodes were kind of weird (with her religious boyfriends suddenly wanting to be a dj and other weird plots).

the last few episodes were funny again, so i’m glad.

other than that- i agree. it has a similar feel to 30 Rock, but it also has it’s own style. really fun show. i also love the throwaway lines which are better than just the plot.

14. dsm says:

Wow! If I knew Matt was so hot I would have watched one of these “videos” a long time ago :)

P.S. I REALLY hope your SCANDAL *spoiler* is off the mark! That would be awful….

15. Amy says:

I personally watch these videos even when there’s nothing that really interests me (this is not the case today; great video!). It’s better than straight-up reading it (it’s a good breakfast watch!) because of the good rapport between Matt and Ausiello.

However, I guess the people need to have the exact times (according to the video) some of the things teased in the title are discussed so that they can watch just what they want? Just like some podcast I listen to. (It’s not always the best, because they’d miss other cool mentions.)

Keep the videos coming!

16. GildedRose says:

Arrow is jam packed of great people and villains and ITA! Emily Bett Rickards is doing a fantastic job as Felicity and I totally agree, someone from the island flashbacks will totally show up in real time Starling. I have my prediction!

LOLed at Sleepy Hollow Ichobod & Abbie being called Mulder & Scully 2.0. So true. Yeah it was a jump in the relationship but wasn’t Hollow only 13 episodes? If they weren’t sure it was going to get picked up again…. it makes sense. Thankfully it’s around for another season. I’m looking forward to that.

Really looking forward to seeing who Red John turns out to be.

17. GeoDiva says:

In reference to Ichabod and Abbie moving to fast…. Remember there are only 13 episodes in Season 1. So they are already at the halfway point. Plis, how can you deny that chemistry?

• Totally agree! Unlike Scandal, and all the other shows, Sleepy Hollow will come once a year so the pace will be different. And OMG I have watched that episode 5 times and I intend to watch it again tomorrow night before the next one. I can not get enough of it. It was so simple and perfect.

As for his clothing it will take at least 2 seasons to change. He has to get into Abbie more and do more things outside of work, then he will be more comfortable and feel it necessary to change. Totally shipping #ICHABBIE

18. Ally Oop says:

I actually am loving Nashville and I liked the cliffhanger last season finale. I just wish this show would get better in the ratings. As for Scandal, I’ve attempted to get into it numerous times but it just doesn’t hold me.

• Jill says:

I also agree that the accident wasn’t as horrible as they suggest since it actually made sense in the context of the show and the events prior. Rayna and Deacon were headed toward some kind of tragedy one way or another.
      So, I think the problem wasn’t that it was a soapy cliffhanger, but that we have seen too many bad soap operas in the past so it was hard to watch something like that only in the context of the episode.

And, btw, LOVE Nashville and everything about it.

19. Bill Prickett says:

Grace as Red John’s accomplish?
    I do hope Matt is kidding. If not, I certainly hope Matt is wrong! That plot twist would be the last straw for me; I would have to break up with the show. I was ready for the Red John storyline to be done after Patrick supposedly killed Red John. This element would make Grace’s bravery in killing her FBI boyfriend and saving everyone’s life meaningless and empty.

20. Leah says:

I haven’t watched any of this season of Nashville. That finale killed what little enthusiasim I had left for the show by the end of the year.

I’m loving Mindy this year, too. But I love B99 more. I feel like I know more about (and care more about) all the characters on that show after just six or seven episodes, than I do any of the background characters on Mindy after a year.

I’m behind on Scandal. (Which is something I never thought I would do a year ago). It’s been more exhausting than entertaining for me lately.

I was surprised that went so fast with Sleepy Hollow, too. But I also really don’t care. They’re doing a good job at going too fast.

21. Maki says:

Michael I doubt Shonda is heading towards Olitz. And honestly like her chemistry more with Jake. I mean the sex scenes with Fitz are hot but I feel Jake more and he is better for Liv. My prediction is that it’s quite possible The First Lady will die on midseason just to open the Olitz door again.

• LOST says:

There’s no way they’re killing off Melie, she’s just too much of a great character

• I’m a rabid Scandal fan — a bunch of girls from work and I have get-togethers every week for it. I am in the minority when it comes to supporting Olivia and Fitz’s relationship — they all LOVE Jake. I find him the most underdeveloped characters on the show; what do we really know about Jake.

22. erin says:

Mindy is great!! We look forward to watching The Mindy Project waaaaaay more than New Girl now, when last year we liked them equally.

23. Danielle M says:

Oh my gosh if your Scandal prediction is right I think I might die!! That would be fantastic!!!!

24. Tran 2.0 says:

Couldn’t agree more. Ichabod Crane & Abbie = the next Mulder & Scully. :-)

25. nossa pagina says:

I am genuinely grateful to the owner of this web page
    who has shared this wonderful paragraph at here.

26. Sara says:

I wish the Scandal prediction would pan out. It would be the ballsy thing to do. Them trying to do Olake has been nothing but a snoozefest and it’s just feels pointless to watch. So hopefully they cut back on the whole Olake thing in the 2nd part of the season and go forward with Olitz and we get that proposal at the end of the season.

But because Shonda and the writers are shockily very lazy, it would be shocking if we got a proposal.

27. Columbus says:

Binge watched Arrow and am loving it.

28. Euvee says:

I love Nashville but please, not everyone wants Deacon & Rayna together. They are actually the worst couple, no, they tie with Teddy & Peggy for worst couple. I may be in the minority but I would love Juliette to be with Avery while Gunnar gets back with Scarlett.

• Majeta says:

You are SO in the minority with Deacon and Rayna, LOL.
      It’s been a Long, Long time since I’ve seen two actors have the screen chemistry and Chip and Connie do, and their 1/2 a lifetime friendship, as well as love, makes such a compelling story. Not to mention the fact that they share a Daughter.
      A while back, a reviewer suggested that Nashville might be backing off from the pairing because of the suggestion of a real life relationship between them.
      I certainly hope that isn’t true and I think it’s irresponsible to even suggest. From all appearances, Chip is a devoted family man; while he and Connie may be friends, it’s just wrong to suggest a romantic off screen relationship. ey t
      I do hope Nashville utilizes their on screen chem, though. They need all the ratings boosts they can get; why not take advantage of the actors popularity, as a pairing to give us great stories as they try and figure out where they go from here.

• Rose says:

wtf really???? a review suggested that? the one on fuggirls?

• Shanag says:

Completely agree. I think that most viewers want them together, but also that most viewers don’t mind if they won’t get back together as a couple right now. We just want them to share more screen time together. That’s the beauty of this relationship and of Nashville in general. It’s not just about the love lives of the characters but also about the platonic friendships, business partnerships, personal journeys, musical journeys and of course, the city of NASHVILLE..

Hope more people will start watching it LIVE so the ratings will go up and agree that using the Rayna and Deacon Popularity can contribute. Also, Rayna and Juliette should interact more. They are SO much fun!

29. Bless you Ausiello for that Scandal prediction. :)

30. Rosie says:

DEAR TV LINE: Why is it you guys (TV Line) don’t listen when we ask you to please put your video blog in written form too??? Some of us are deaf and the stupid closed captioning doesn’t work very well. So please, we’ve been asking for months and months – help those of us out who would prefer, for what ever reason, to read this type of thing. Thank you very much for your consideration :)

31. Rose says:

While I thought she was terrific last year, I can’t see anything special about Hayden/Juliette this season. It’s solid work, but she doesn’t even have the storyline to shine…so no just no. Connie Britton is great as always, so is the rest of the cast. I was actually surprised by Clare Bowen’s acting this season so far. Gunnar is annoying as hell. Except for last week’s terrible episode, this season has been a lot better than the 2nd half of season 1 and I appreciate the focus on the music business. I agree on Rayna/Deacon – more scenes together. Britton’s and Esten’s chemistry is oure magic.

• Jane says:

Completely agree. Don’t know why people are so excited about Juliette this year. Hayden is great but her there is nothing special in her storyline this year. It’s Connie Britton, Charles Esten and Clare Bowen that shine in their storylines this season.
      Just hope the Ratings improve. There are so many great things in this show that make it so much better than most of the crap on TV. Also, it’s an important show. It’s fun but it’s not just entertainment-it has substance and it’s completely female driven. On how many more shows can you say the same thing? It would be a huge loss if ABC cancel it (even though they sure do their best to ruin it).

32. CJLA says:

I think the reason they do the videos is because they are trying to make these people happen as TV personalities. None of them have any charisma, if they did they would be on TV by now.

33. barbara says:

i haven’t watched the spoiler videos. from what I’ve been reading on these posts matt is suggesting vanpelt is rj. in previous posts I’ve expressed this as have others. her and rigsby are leaving i can see one leaving but not both. writers of these shows do have a habit of doing away with characters to help the storyline. ever since vanpelt killed her boyfriend she has been very different and distant. she could maybe be the rj but i also think she involved rigsby is either involved or clueless as he luvs her . even tho she killed boyfriend might have been for appearance sake to lesson her involvement. we are supposed to have halfhour football overflow were i live but they said that last week it was 1hr and showed repeat hope not tonite or I’ll scream. bad enough going thru this redjohn arc all these seasons it needs to come to an end

34. TrickyGreyArea says:

Nashville – The exception to the rule of Juliette hopping into bed with every guy is Avery (though not for lack of trying on her part), which is one reason among many why I am totally rooting for them. But I completely agree overall that there are some patterns that they need to drop or at least show some progress on (Scarlett and her “Gee, shucks, people want to hear li’l ol’ me sing?” thing would be near the top). And I don’t really care about Gunnar’s love life if it doesn’t lead to more Gunnar/Scarlett duets; they’re one of my favorite parts of the show musically, but I find myself not missing their romance. I thought what Will did to Gunnar (performing his song without permission) was pretty crumby, but I still want to see more of Will (though I fear for him if/when Layla realizes he plays for the other team – there is no way she’s not using that to her advantage one day). I agree with Kim that Teddy or Peggy will be offed (with an outside chance of it being Tandy), and I welcome some of that boring stuff wrapping up.

Sleepy Hollow – I too am conflicted about the pace of the Ichabod/Abbie relationship evolution. However, I think it’s also important to remember that the seasons will be half the length of The X-Files seasons back in the day, so they are going to need to move things a bit faster in a smaller number of episodes. (And honestly, I’m okay with the shorter season because this definitely feels like a “fall” show to me.) I would really prefer they keep Katrina in purgatory/limbo and then have her be released to find peace in the afterlife rather than bring her into the present. I personally am not bothered by Ichabod wearing the same clothes week in and week out, but thought the amount of cleavage that Katrina was showing in her Quaker outfit was a bit ridiculous.

The Mentalist – I have been worried ever since they announced the spoiler that Wayne and Grace would get married this season that it meant one of them was working for Red John. Obviously with the personal struggles Grace went through she would be the most likely one, but when they re-ran the Wayne-centric episode last week it made me wonder if it will be Wayne instead. I don’t really want it to turn out to be either of them, but I think with the turn the SL has taken this season with RJ’s heavy contingent of followers among law enforcement that it will turn out to be someone very close to Jane in the CBI. (I don’t think it’s Lisbon and I hope it’s not Cho because he’s my fave, so they’re who’s left.)

• barbara says:

agree i luv cho also so hope not him. like i said vanpelt and rigsby involved!!!!!!! well shows are running 45minutes over here this is ridiculous i can’t take another repeat

• @TGA says:

Grace does seem suspicious but as was stated above, the TV Guide article made it seem untrue. I feel,the opposite, Lisbon is my favorite and Cho I don’t see it being either. I think it’s someone from the Tyger, Tyger conspiracy. No one from the team.

35. Autumn says:

Scully and Mulder 2.0? Let’s not be too hasty here. Abby and Ichabod are just not in the same level of soul connection territory or even remotely comparable to the best chemistry in television history. Seriously, I just finished watching The X Files (since I only sporadically watched it when I was young) and watching Sleepy Hollow right after didn’t do the show or the two leads any favors in my book. Maybe if it had been several years since I had seen Scully and Mulder on screen…No, not even then.

• You can never compare the HOTNESS and chemistry of ICHABBIE with Mulder and Scully. Sorry… You need to get you spectacles checked for cement exposure.

• Autumn says:

Everyone is free to like whatever they want, but Scully and Mulder are iconic when it comes to TV Couples and chemistry, just saying. (It’s why they are trying to sell Abbie and Ichabod by mentioning them). And I’m not even talking about shipping. Also, it wasn’t about how “hot” the two actors (David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson) were physically. That’s just too shallow of a description to describe Scully and Mulder, though their chemistry from a 1 to a 10 is at least an 11! Anyway, good for you, you love Ichabod and Abbie or whatever their combined name is (I don’t actually have anything against them), but I do find it odd that you would tell me I need to get my glasses checked (is this a looks contest?) for preferring the “iconic” couple of Scully and Mulder, which Ichabod and Abbie ARE influenced from, over the Sleepy Hollow pair. I could go into all the reasons why, but in the end it’s all subjective anyway.

• AT says:

You’re right, one can never compare the two. It would be like, as Peter in The Good Wife pointed out, comparing Hemingway to Dan Brown.

36. Jared says:

For anyone that says “Scandal doesn’t hold my attention”… You obviously can’t be entertained. Period. End of story.

• neha says:

Scandal has a very “soap-opera” type of writing. It’s twist after twist after twist. Simply for shock value. It’s not good writing.

37. Cheyenne says:

Okay, here is my prediction for season 4 of Scandal, which will be the last:

Fitz and Olivia are blissfully engaged and planning a wedding with all the Gladiators in attendance. Abby and Quinn will be her bridesmaids and Harrison will give her away. At the reception, Rowan has Fitz assassinated. The season proceeds with blood splattering all over D.C. Huck and/or Jake and/or Quinn kill Rowan. Charlie kills Jake. Huck and/or Quinn kill Charlie. Huck and Quinn kill each other. James catches Cyrus in bed with another man, shoots them both dead and commits suicide. Olivia puts on a nun’s habit and emters a comvent and goes into perpetual mourning for Fitz; Harrison gets filthy rich as CEO of a hedge fund, and Abby and David live happily ever after. The end.

38. Anders says:

Please post text. I will never take the time to watch a video. It is not convenient.

39. Hmm says:

Please please PLEASE let Manu Bennett’s Slade be the flashbacker arriving in real time on Arrow. I 125% need to see some modern-day dialogue with him and Oliver, plus how he reacts to Diggle and how Felicity reacts to him.

Need this like I need air.

40. Shannon says:

I have a feeling Bertram or the sheriff from the first season is red john. We were told Brett was not raj when he first appeared and would be anti climatic now but he knows rj. Rj has to be older than Jane or around the same age. Has to have power and or money to pull off certain things. Plus he has to know about different things in order to stay a step ahead of jane. I am rewatching eps to see if my theory regarding either of these two holds up.

41. barbara says:

the redjohn storyline is getting ridiculous but read in tvguide supposedly patrick will kill red john this upcoming sunday sure hope so. i still think vanpelt and rigsby involved somehow since they are leaving sounds reasonable. the tvguide also said they are taking new direction and they will fastforward two years with the characters. this sounds so stupid

• Cookie126 says:

You should read the whole TV guide article again. Hint – read the captions under the pictures and you’ll see what becomes of Rigsby and Van Pelt.

42. Razzy says:

Please don’t let Olivia and Fitz turn into MerDer 2.0, Scandal is above that, please don’t ruin the show!

43. I think Olivia is going to ask Jake to marry her. It was clear after Jake told Olivia that he was unwilling to play second fiddle. Fitz asking for Olivia’s hand is too obvious and we know these writers are never about obvious.

• While I do not think Jake would be best for Olivia, it will be the storyline, no matter how ridiculous it may seem. The ultimate goal for a smart, sophisticated woman who is that powerful would be to pair up with the most powerful man. But that is not reality; I do not think it will ever happen.

44. betty says:

enjoy the various comments/think cbs’ scheluding of The mentalist on sunday nights being pushed back later and later with absolutely no fixed time due to the football game is shabby treatment. It makes it difficult to even schedule recording a whole episode on dvr due no fixed scheduled showing times

45. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!

It is the little changes that make the most significant changes.

Thanks a lot for sharing!