Downton Abbey Renewed for Season 5

Get More: Renewals

Downton Abbey Season 5 Downton Abbey‘s doors will remain open for another year.

Brit broadcaster ITV has ordered a fifth season of the international phenom, to bow next fall in the UK and (presumably and unfortunately) January 2015 in the US on PBS.

VIDEO | Downton Abbey Season 4 Trailer: Meet Mary’s New Suitor(s)

Downton Abbey‘s fourth season bows stateside on Jan. 5 at 9/8c.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the pickup.

Comments (34)

• awesome news!! I’m currently watching season 3 on Amazon Instant Video getting ready for PBS to show season 4 and I have to admit I’m addicted!! :)

Comment by Elyse – November 10, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 4 was really good.

Comment by James – December 2, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • damn right it was…. WHY SUCH SHORT SEASON!?!?! I would give up Christmas for 5 more episodes!!

Comment by Andy Stiles – March 2, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, Love, Love Downton Abbey! So happy there will be a 5th season.

Comment by Bernadette – November 10, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great Deal !!! Glad to hear it!!

Comment by Iris – December 25, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished an hour ago here in Great Britain and I am pleased to say it has been a fantastic series (that’s what we call a season!) you won’t be disappointed, but who do ou only get it in Janurary and not sooner?

Comment by Eddie – November 10, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PBS buys the broadcast rights and replays it as part of their “Masterpiece Classic” series that airs during the winter. Actually the two month lag for Downton is noting compared to the lag that we had for the previous two series of Sherlock, there was a 6+ month lag for those.

Comment by writingmyownway – November 10, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God my sisters & I found out about Lady Sybil’s death in advance, because that episode aired one day after my mother died. Maybe I can go back & watch that season before S4 airs here. I hope so, because I loved 1 & 2.

Comment by BTM – November 10, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving the fourth year. For those of you who haven’t watched it yet… it will blow your minds. Amazing, amazing, amazing. The best ensamble on TV – every actor is terrific. Can’t wait to see the next episodes.

Comment by Columbus – November 10, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching the current season now and it is fantastic. Glad there will be a season 5! :)

Comment by Kim R – November 10, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really not the same without Matthew and Sybil. But provided Dame Maggie returns, I’m all in.

Comment by ben – November 10, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sybil was my favorite. then Matthew. all I have left is Branson!

Comment by Elyse – November 10, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. It’s better. Alright i miss Sybil. Matthew, turns out was no great loss after all.

Comment by dee123 – November 10, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this series is amazing, but I honestly have to ask: How many more stories are left to tell? Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the renewal since there is still a large audience watching it, but it makes me wonder what else is left to be told.

Comment by c – November 11, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh honey, there are a LIFETIME of stories left to tell!! How many more stories are in your life other than 15 years or so? You must be very young if you believe there’s nothing left to be told. Come on, use your imagination, there are millions of stories at Downton, and everywhere else for that matter. People don’t stop growing and changing over the years unless they’re hopelessly mired in their own dreck and stubbornly refuse to accept change.

Comment by Zandaria Jones – January 3, 2014 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is always something more to add!! I absolutelyLOVE the show and will watch as long as it airs! I hope it goes on forever!!

Comment by Sandy – February 25, 2014 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finished watching Series 4 yesterday. Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I wasn’t impressed. Too much of the original cast has gone, and it just didn’t really feel like Downton this year. I doubt I’ll continue to watch, which makes me very sad indeed.

Comment by Rachel – November 11, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They created the series to reflect life in the early to mid 1900s. Unfortunately things like the deaths and such were and are part of life. So its a very organic show. People leave. It happens. Deal with it. The show hasn’t lost all its charm. Mary, Violet and Cora are still there and thats enough for me.

Comment by Shuaib Rasool – November 13, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the last shot of the 3 ladies.

Comment by rorywilliams – November 11, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the cast, can’t wait for it to start up again

Comment by king – November 14, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t much of a fan at first until I forced myself to sit down and watch one whole episode and it was one of the early episodes of season two, I have been hooked ever since and went to the video store just to hire out season 1 and 3, and now have finished watching season 4. So thrilled to hear that there will be a season 5….I think none of Mary suitors are a match for her because I am hoping that the writers will spruce things up a bit and make Mary and Branson fall in love with each other, they both have a lot in common with their losses and they both have matured a lot and see things a lot different now than they did before, but I think Branson balances Mary out and vice versa…….fingers crossed!!

Comment by F.T – December 9, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only 4 more days until we can see it in the U.S. And 4 weeks until it’s released on video. I don’t have TV hook-up and knew nothing about it when my neighbors brought me the first 2 seasons to watch while I was sick for 3 weeks last winter. After 2 episodes, I was hooked and ordered all 3 seasons to watch over and over and over. I want one of those great hats!!

Comment by Sue Hutson – January 1, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We look very much forward to the 5th season of Downton Abbey !

Comment by Paul Coene – January 2, 2014 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this series!!! I didn’t start watching till season 3 and I was hooked after one episode. I ordered the whole series 1 thru 4. After watching season4 there are still a lot of open ended stories, Edith/Michael, Mary and her pick of husband number 2. What’s the secret behind the new ladies maid that Barrow knows? What about Branson and the teacher? I think there are several things left open ended…….. I for one want a season 5!!!!

Comment by Rita Estes – January 20, 2014 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show I wish it was on everyday !!!

Comment by Brenda – February 3, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My eighteen year old son introduced me to the show at the end of season two. I caught up from the beginning on Netflix. I was hooked right from the start. We both recently watched season 4. It was great to do together, so to speak, since he’s now off at college. We were a little disappointed in the last episode. Didn’t leave the audience hanging like usual. Won’t stop me from watching next season though!

Comment by Lauren – February 3, 2014 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show should have been cancelled after Season 3.

Comment by ladylavinia1932 – February 5, 2014 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show i just watched all four seasons in two weeks! I am sad it won’t be back until January but i am glad it will be!

Comment by me – February 13, 2014 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think I would like the show, but it is AWESOME!! I just finished watching Season 4 Disc 1, 2, and 3. I really wish we didn’t have to wait a whole year to be able to watch Season 5 until January 2015. Is it possible to purchase the Season 5 DVD in the UK earlier then January 2015?

Comment by Christine Kerr – February 23, 2014 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4th was great. Disappointed from Daisy Lewis, I do not think she suits the part.

Comment by jocelyn – February 23, 2014 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show I hope there is a lot more seasons to come! I wish we did not have to wait so long for season 5. Please keep producing more episodes and make the seasons longer!

Comment by carol – February 25, 2014 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im looking forward for the next season (5) I guess im adicted to it also…..hope it is soon……It is a great presentation and deserves to go on, many million people are waiting for it…..all over the world….

Comment by Jacinto Ortiz – March 9, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was SOOO hooked on “Upstairs Downstairs” years ago and Downton Abbey has me hooked to the point of distraction. I recorded some episodes on our cable DVR and play them over and over again! I hate that we have to wait until 2015 for Season 5!!!

Comment by PAK – April 7, 2014 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • we are also waiting here in Puerto Rico we are hocked …….cant wait……

Comment by Jacinto Ortiz – April 8, 2014 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post