Time Lords Unite! Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor Trailers Bring Together Fan Faves

The Doctor(s) are back in business.

BBC One has unveiled two official trailers for Doctor Who: The Day of The Doctor, the cult hit’s upcoming 50th anniversary special — and as expected, it is action-packed and cameo-filled.

RELATED | Doctor Who Casts Peter Capaldi as Twelfth Doctor

Boasting appearances by Who vets Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, David Tennant, Billie Piper and John Hurt, among others, the following promos finally give fans a glimpse at what to expect from The Day of the Doctor, which will be simultcast worldwide on Saturday, Nov. 23 at 2:50 ET.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Trailers and Promos, Video

1. Just Sayin' says:

So damn good!!!

Cannot wait to see this. I get the feeling that there are a lot more surprises coming up too. No way there’s going to be Time War scenes without McGann making an appearance at some point. Bring on the 23rd!!!

2. alistaircrane says:

I’m nervous. It looks like that hack Moffat is trolling Rose/Ten shippers. Why is she only shown with John Hurt and not David Tennant? Why in the world would Billie Piper sign up for something so potentially damaging and insulting?

• Just Sayin' says:

Because it’s only damaging and insulting in your head and the rest of the world sees it as the interesting plot development that it really is? Maybe? Perhaps?

• Alan says:

because the show doesnt revolve around ten/rose shippers, this will be the best way to deal with that damn thing without it dragging the show down again.

• alistaircrane says:

Oh dear lord, a rabid “no-ro”. You nerds can’t be taken seriously because you’re all a bunch of miserable singles who can’t even get a date.

• Just Sayin' says:

Yeeeeah… He said something similar to this to me over at CBR. Apparently not being a shipper equals not liking romance and therefore means you can’t get a date. Naturally… Guess me and the missus are over then, huh? Better tell her to move out immediately.

And back in the adult world, we continued a grown up conversation about a television show that didn’t regress into which character loves which other character…

• alistaircrane says:

Again, you’re anti-love. You refuse to discuss the topic at hand, which is Ten and Rose’s love story and how the 50th special seems to be trying to negate that.

• Just Sayin' says:

Because this is a thread about the 50th Anniversary episode of Doctor Who, not a Ten/Rose shipping thread. Also, if you actually bothered to do a little research you’d have worked out for yourself that what happens in this is episode isn’t going to negate a damn thing and it’s only your own preconceptions and dismissals of Moffat’s work that has led you down the mistaken path that it’s going to. You clearly aren’t paying attention to what you’re seeing in these trailers because if you were then you’d already have figured out where in the Doctors’ relative timelines these events will occur. Not my fault your letting your anti-Moffat bile get in the way of the facts.

• Just Sayin' says:

Your/you’re fail in that last comment. Currently hanging my head in Grammar-Nazi shame!

• Alan says:

would you like to speak to the woman i went on a date with on saturday?

• Just Sayin' says:

I don’t know… Was she hot? :D

If my girlfriend happens to read this comment I’m all kinds of dead so remember me fondly, y’all!

• Josh says:

There are images of her with 10, 11 and Clara.

• CBWBDK1 says:

“That hack Moffat”? Are you having a laugh?

• alistaircrane says:

Nope. He’s the worst thing to ever happen to Doctor Who. Case in point: All of Series 5 through 7, plus the Library two-parter from Series 4, the boring WWII story from Series 1, and the Fireplace episode from Season 2, and his horrid creation River Song. Blink gets a pass because it’s barely a Doctor Who episode (he only appears in less than 5 minutes of the episode).

• Just Sayin' says:

The worst thing ever to happen to Doctor Who was the day you decided to call yourself a fan. There was actually a BBC memo about it.

• CBWBDK1 says:

You made me laugh!

• alistaircrane says:

Attention TVLine readers: This creep Just Sayin’ has been stalking me on several message boards. He is very creepy and potentially dangerous. This ‘tard can’t wrap his head around the fact that people love Doctor Who outside of his very limited reasons. Please do not engage the troll.

• Just Sayin' says:

Pretty certain that anyone reading the comments knows who the troll here might be. For clarity’s sake however, the ‘several message boards’ he mentioned is actually just two. Here and at Comic Book Resources in another Doctor Who 50th article. And that’s only because he’s spouting the exact same ridiculousness based on nothing but erroneous preconceptions there as well. Anyone who actually cares enough to check the article out can see that for themselves.

• Alan says:

you just listed the universally praised episodes from each of the so so russel davies era seasons. seriously you didnt like blink? you must be the only person on the planet who doesnt agree that its an amazing episode.

• alistaircrane says:

“So-so Russell Davies era”??? Give me a phucking break! That was Who at its finest! Army of Ghosts, Doomsday, The Stolen Earth, and especially Journey’s End (the best episode in the history of the RTD era) and The End of Time Part 2 are sheer brilliance. Moffat lacks the talent to come up with anything as satisfying and entertaining as those episodes.

3. tracyg36 says:

Allons-y! still proves to be the best catchphrase (especially when shown immediately after that dumb “Geronimo!” crap… *shakes head*

4. LEP says:

Looks to be a lot of fun! Looks like they must have had a ball making it.

5. Alan says:

the most serious doctor who story ever promoted by ten and eleven being funny with each other and i have no problem with that. cant wait to see this, the last story was the best episode ive seen of the show so this can only top it by resolving that amazing cliffhanger. gonna miss eleven when he is gone.

• Just Sayin' says:

This!

It was going to take an amazing actor to come close to matching Tennant and Matt Smith managed to do that with ease. Eleven has been a fantastic Doctor to travel with. Must admit that I’m looking forward to seeing Twelve do his thing though.

6. The first one won’t work here

7. Bender says:

There are already theories about Rose, wether she is or is not actually Rose, or she’s bad wolf. I for one got sick of Rose. Martha is my favorite

• kcc says:

I liked Martha more too, but she got a bum rap, as they played her like the rebound companion.

• AT says:

I don’t think they played her like the rebound companion, rather a large portion of the audience watched her as the rebound companion refusing to objectively take in her arc that was beautifully written for her. Because of Rose’s popularity many people didn’t warm up to Martha. I personally loved her and feel that if more people were to go back and re-watch her episodes they might like her better a second time around. I’m someone who actually quite liked Rose, Martha and Donna! They were all great.

• scooby says:

Is it just me or were Rose and Donna used to heal The Doctor while Martha, the actual doctor, couldn’t because he wasn’t ready to heal from losing Rose yet? When she stopped pushing to connect the way he had with Rose and they worked in more of a partnership, he appreciated her more and she seemed happier. I think he sensed how Martha felt and realized he couldn’t go there again. He’d gotten attached to companions but knew humans decay, wither, die, etc. I think he was so tempted sometimes to forget that with Rose. It was dangerous for him and a barrier he constantly bumps into, the latest with Rory and Amy. It probably was more intense with Rose because he’d so recently come out of the Time War as was at his most emotionally vulnerable.

• Tess says:

I think it would’ve been easier to warm up to Martha had they not played her up to be the rebound. She basically even said as much when she explained why she could no longer travel with him and decided she had to walk away by telling him that story about her friend liking that guy who never really was that interested in her and how if she stayed with The Doctor she would’ve been doing to herself what her friend had done. Had RTD and co. not written Martha to be interested in the Doctor in that way (more like how they wrote Donna in a strictly platonic manner) then I think fans would’ve liked Martha more because she wouldn’t have felt like the rebound girl who just put off his being able to move on from Rose but rather the good friend who helped him move on from losing Rose.

8. TVPeong says:

I cannot wait!!! I wish there was a way to bring back more doctors/ companions. I miss the other companions, Donna, Martha, Captain Jack even Mickey.

• kcc says:

Dr. Who should have gone more for the bro-mance than the romance, because both 9 and 10 had wicked chemistry with Captain Jack (and even some with Mickey) and 11 had with Rory.

The 10-Donna dynamic was my favourite though. Followed by 10-River Song, I really like Matt Smith, but the episodes introducing River with 10 were pure gold.

9. Matt says:

Is everyone so sure that Ten and Rose aren’t from the parallel universe? I’m thinking that’s exactly what’s going on here, and as the human doctor and his now-wife Rose, they are going to help 11 fight the bad doctor. My guess anyway.

• kcc says:

Yeah, that’s what I figure too. 10 is really Doctor-Donna’s “offspring”

• Naomi says:

No. The involvement of Elizabeth I suggests that the Ten we see here is Ten from between The Waters of Mars and The End of Time. This is 10, not “10.5”

• Jace says:

I don’t know if you can see the extended trailer or not, but in that 10 says, or at least as close as i can remember it ‘For once in my life i’d like to know what’s coming’ and 11 replies ‘No, you really wouldn’t’. That rules out the possibility of it being anything but the genuine 10, because any other, alternate universe or the 10 created from the hand or whatever, wouldn’t have that future.

• Just Sayin' says:

Or indeed any future that involved regenerating, as the human version of the Doctor that ended up with Rose was never going to be able to do that.

• Tess says:

I think it would work better if it’s parallel world Rose and the human Doctor hybrid instead of actual #10 and Rose, especially since David Tennant’s hair is weird – is it just me who noticed that his hair is brushed downward rather than in 10’s usual up off the forehead style? I mean, I watched the clips and couldn’t help but think how 10 never wore his hair like that ever so for continuity sake it makes no sense to be the actual 10. Plus, 10 didn’t meet Queen Elizabeth I with Rose; QE1 first wanted him dead when she learned he was around that time he and Martha had helped out Shakespeare and he had noted he wondered what that would be all about later and then just prior to his “death” when he was told by the Ood he would be departing soon he had mentioned a brief thing with QE1 so that was long after Rose… so if their part deals with the Queen as it seems to, then again for continuity of storyline, it would make more sense if it’s not the real 10 but rather the Doctor/Donna and Rose returning from the parallel world.

10. kcc says:

I don’t have cable and the most recent season is not yet on NetFlix, where else can I see the episodes, preferably before the 50th Anniversary special (which I will probably go see in the theater).

11. TDS-Matt says:

Alternate Universe 10 wore a blue suit and didn’t have a TARDIS. This is the real deal. (And based on Elizabeth I being there, this is probably set between The Waters of Mars and The End of Time for him.)

• alistaircrane says:

The regular 10 wore a blue suit too. I am praying it’s the half-human Doctor from Pete’s World because I want to see him and Rose as a happily-married couple.

• Mark S says:

Well, you’re out of luck, mate. Because interviews with David Tennanrt, evidence from location filming and from the trailer all pretty much guarantee this is 10 from between Waters of Mars and the End of Time Part 1. Also, from the trailers, it’s not certain that this is human Rose. Many fans speculate, just from what she’s wearing, that she could be an aspect of the Bad Wolf.

12. you know says:

Keep calm and enjoy the awesomeness!

13. Kevin H. says: