NBC Orders More Sean Saves the World

Get More: Scheduling News

SeanSavestheWorldNBC is giving Sean Hayes more time to save the world.

The network on Friday ordered five additional episodes of Sean Saves the World, bringing the comedy’s freshman run to a total of 18 episodes.

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed?

The vote of confidence comes on the heels of Sean‘s 27-percent ratings gain this week, following a special Voice results show.

NBC previously cancelled first-year comedy Welcome to the Family, while The Michael J. Fox Show launched with a full-season order.

Comments (37)

• When will NBC work out that one week of slightly higher ratings does not mean: “Quick order more of this”

Comment by Rob – November 9, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spackle filler

Comment by Bill – November 9, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show – didn’t think I would. It’s quite funny so far…

Comment by cheryl – November 9, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Hayes and Lavin are hysterical together. Even his boss makes me laugh. In the pilot they seemed to be trying too hard, but they’ve calmed down and let it roll.

Comment by Robin – November 11, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • seriously, this show gets funnier every week! It is the funniest comedy show on TV today. Kirsti is pretty funny too

Comment by Darla – January 25, 2014 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy the show. Sean Hayes is great as well as the entire ensemble

Comment by Ed – November 9, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sean Saves the World gained only 3 tenths this week over last according to final numbers, from 1.1 to 1.4. That’s still low. It did gain more than 800K viewers. But I don’t see anything about it that looks like a potential win.

Comment by Larc – November 9, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max Thompson might be my favorite character among the new 2013-14 shows. The guy is equal parts Ron Swanson and Kim Jong-Il.

Comment by Zach – November 9, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a fun throwback show that, in reality, belongs more on TVLand than NBC. Thomas Lennon (Max) is the bomb, though. That guy’s every move is hilarious.

Comment by Tim – November 9, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1. These are my thoughts exactly. Sean’s production company already produces two shows on TVLand(Hot in Cleveland, The Soul Man). Hopefully if this show holds it ratings, and NBC still decides to can it, TVland will keep it alive.

Comment by SW – November 9, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC must be very disappointed in their midseason shows to feel the need to order more of this.

Comment by Steven – November 9, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While the pilot itself left nothing special to be remembered, I kept watching for Megan Hilty and Thomas Lennon.

So color me surprised when I caught myself laughing that past couple of weeks during this show. Not sure why, but the show kinda clicked recently and I’m enjoying it. It’s nothing standout or quirky like Community, Parks & Rec, or The Neighbors, but as down the middle of the road sitcoms go, it’s the best I’ve seen in a while.

Enjoying the Grandma character also.

Comment by Max – November 9, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is hysterical. Give it a chance.

Comment by lori – November 9, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the show is really coming together! The last episode was so funny at the end I thought I was going to bust!

Comment by Darla – January 25, 2014 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How will NBC desperately need to rebuild on their Thursday night comedy line-up? For years, it still didn’t work because of “ratings”.

Comment by Tran 2.0 – November 9, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suprisingly, this show is not bad. Sean Hayes does not play over the top gay like he did on Will and Grace which is a blessing(although I loved that show!).I am enjoying it much more than I thought I would. Of course, being a Sean Hayes fan does help

Comment by Ethel – November 9, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad to hear this! It really is quite funny. I wish more people would give it a chance. My family and I love watching it together.

Comment by Rachel – November 9, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They only ordered it because they have nothing else to fill the space,

Comment by Jeremy – November 9, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the show is very funny !!! Hoping this show don’t get cancelled!!!

Comment by Mauricio – November 9, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hope the show goes on for years! Just love the cast and the dialog

Comment by Darla – January 25, 2014 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last episode was hilarious. I think it’s getting better each week. And I am in love with Max.

Comment by DLynne (@dlhinca) – November 9, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad they are giving it a chance to find its audience. I will kill someone if they cancel another Megan Hilty show.

Comment by iamkessuki23tw – November 9, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love SEAN SAVES THE WORLD!! Sean Hayes makes me laugh. He is so good at what he does. I never miss the show and BEG NBC NOT to cancel it.

Comment by Nancy – November 10, 2013 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love this show. Sean Hayes is brilliant and Megan Hilty is fantastic too. The problem is NBC have to realise its time to move the comedies to another night. They just can’t compete there anymore. Glad it got more episodes but i’ll enjoy it while its still here because unfortunately unless a miracle happens i don’t think this will see season 2.

Comment by greysfan – November 10, 2013 02:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Putting anything up against The Big Bang Theory is a suicide mission, i.e. Community. CBS’s other new shows, The Millers with Will Arnett and The Crazy Ones with Robin Williams are very good and will almost certainly be renewed. CBS have Thursday nights locked. ABC have Wednesday nights locked with Modern Family and The Middle. Maybe NBC moves their comedy block to Mondays next year? HIMYM will have finished, 2 Broke Girls may suffer without the HIMYM lead in, Mom is the weakest Chuck Lorre comedy in a while and if Mike and Molly was so good, why did CBS hold it back for midseason? I think NBC v ABC on Wednesday would be interesting to see.

Comment by Scott – November 10, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This past Thursday’s show, with Sean dating the dry cleaner- Mr. Kim, was the funniest yet. No wonder it got better ratings- it was hilarious.
    Anyone else think Linda Lavin looks amazing?? Btw I had to google her age- she is 76! and still wearing all those high heels.

Comment by Michael – November 10, 2013 02:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, agree on Lavin. When I saw her, I had to look twice. She starred in ‘Alice’ – that was almost 40 years ago. She still looks amazing. Good for her – if ‘Sean’ doesn’t work out long term, it would be great to see LL back on prime time doing another comedy – she is (imo) the best thing going in this series. She’s a pro’s-pro.

Comment by N tTVf – November 10, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t expect to like this show but I do.

Comment by Peppy – November 10, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with a lot of the comments. I enjoy this show quite a bit. Didn’t think I would.

Comment by Eliza – November 10, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it gets cancelled, TVLand better pick it up.

Comment by TV God – November 10, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! This is a great show, glad it’s getting more episodes.

Comment by Kristina – November 10, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if NBC has much confidence in their new comedy series that are awaiting winter/spring placement onto the schedule? They still have ‘About a Boy’, ‘Undateable’ and ‘Family Fischer/Guide’ awaiting placement for winter/spring. With the Olympics in February, and December holiday programming/re-runs coming soon, NBC could possibly reach March/April segment with plenty of Sean, MJF, Community and P&R episodes left to air. That might get all four to May and end of season.

If so, what to do with the other three – ‘Boy’, ‘Undateable’, ‘Fischer’? Perhaps they’ll use them in winter during Voice hiatus in Janaury? I would think NBC might want to try one of these three new series in the Thursday timeslots, but perhaps not any longer with this order extension for ‘Sean’?

Comment by Television Scout – November 10, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray!. Love this show. It is so funny.

Comment by Anonymous – November 10, 2013 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is excellent. The writing is sharp and funny. Lennons character is extremely funny and I love Hayes and Lavins relationship. Give this show a chance and promote it more. It will be a winner. I think people are getting tired of all the talent shows and are ready for a change I.e. bringing back some quality sitcoms.

Comment by Jan – December 5, 2013 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone told me in November that Sean Saves the World was being cancelled, and I was so depressed! I LOVE this show! I laugh out loud every week. Please, please keep this on the air! Sean Hayes, you are brilliant!

Comment by Melissa Mahan – January 3, 2014 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this show is great! It doesn’t stereotype gays and I find their new boss to be really funny… I am NOT 100 percent sure why i like it so much, but I just can’t stop watching it

Comment by alyssa – February 21, 2014 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post