The X Factor Voting Snafu Forces Top 13 Performance Redux: Seriously, Simon?

X-Factor-Voting-Snafu-Carlito-OliveroTurns out Paulina Rubio’s string of verbal gaffes weren’t the biggest disasters on Wednesday night’s installment of The X Factor.

RELATED | The X Factor Top 13 Performance Recap: Motown Operandi

As the result of a graphics error (incorrect voting numbers were displayed onscreen) during the performance recap at the end of Wednesday’s show, each of the Top 13 acts will break out their “Save Me” songs on tonight’s episode (airing at 8/7c on Fox), which will now be a second performance installment instead of a results show. Wednesday night’s vote tallies, meanwhile, will go the way of Melanie Amaro’s major-label debut CD.

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Louder Than a Lion

The results of Thursday’s re-vote will then be revealed at the start of next Wednesday’s X Factor, officially eliminating one act prior to the Top 12 tackling hits from the 1980s.

Perhaps coincidentally, tonight’s X Factor will be going head-to-head with The Voice‘s Live Playoffs results telecast (8/7c on NBC). The cynic inside me wonders if Simon Cowell figured a high-stakes performance telecast (with time-sensitive votes attached) might be a better way to stave off the competition than a results show (which, by its nature, is 59 minutes of fluff, with about 30 seconds of news).

If by some chance the phone-numbers glitch was a deliberate way to generate more buzz for Fox’s struggling singing competition, can you really blame Simon? After all, when X Factor had a rare head-to-head battle against The Voice (for its second hour) last Tuesday, the final ratings tally was lopsided: 11.4 million and a 3.5 demo rating for The Blake Shelton-Adam Levine Bromance Spectacular versus 4.8 million and a 1.5 for The X Factor.

I’d almost feel better if X Factor‘s botched graphics were deliberate: Otherwise, it means nobody’s paying attention to what’s arguably the most important ingredient to the show’s (and frankly, any reality competition series’) success: the integrity of its voting process, and an assurance that its implicit promise that its viewers hold the power is carried out.

Not to pile unfairly onto X Factor, of course, seeing how Dancing With the Stars had its own non-elimination week due to a voting snafu in October. Here’s hoping, however, that we’ve seen the last of such voting irregularities for the current TV season. I mean, surely there are a few good math geeks in need of jobs in this economy. And if there’s not room in the budget for hiring ‘em, maybe Simon could skim $10,000 off Paulina’s paycheck every time she messes up a contestant’s name or hometown.

What do you think of The X Factor‘s latest blunder: Simple mistake or shrewd competitive move? And which show will you watch tonight at 8/7c: X Factor or The Voice? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (54)

• I can not stand hearing another cliche spoken by Adam Levine. I do not think I could watch those 13 acts sing again. Looks like Ill be watching football tonight.

Comment by Alan Dvorkis – November 7, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for sharing your TV plans with the rest of us….we were concerned.

Comment by APP – November 7, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adam Levine is not on the XFactor? So no worries.

Comment by Chablis – November 7, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s too many of these gosh darn singing shows, can’t keep track of whose on what. Let’s cancel some… starting with the ones on Fox. LOL!

Comment by Jess – November 7, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do what I do -don’t watch them

Comment by Keith – November 7, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Too many? The Voice, X Factor…. that’s ALL on network TV right now! You can’t keep track of two shows??? LOL!

Comment by Alex – November 7, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re confused! Adam Levine is not on the X Factor. It is Simon Cowel’s show that made a mess of their competition.

Comment by Mz. Shoreview – November 7, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there really any one who watch X factor?? Paulina is a joke….. who is she anyway???

Comment by Para – November 7, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Cue impassioned replies about how she’s a legend on the donkey show circuit or something. *

Comment by Jo – November 7, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch it. Rather like it. Never cared for The Voice which this site keeps promoting. Don’t see the need for the comparisons in an X Factor article. If I wanted to read about the Voice I’d look them up. Anyway, Paulina is quite a worldwide star. I think she could speak Spanish and have subtitles or a mixture. She is in fact very good.

Comment by pmcd – November 13, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Can anyone really blame Simon” a headline including the words “Really Simon?” Might suggest otherwise…

Comment by Eddie – November 7, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just curious – does this mean Glee is preempted and this is a 2 hr show? Not sure I need to see them all sing again…

Comment by gemapet – November 7, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee is on. This is a 1 hour do over. It’s going to be a rush job of 13 performances. They are singing their save songs and not the songs last night. So it’s their save song that each contestant practices if they were in the bottom two. I wonder if Selena Gomez will preform tonight?

Comment by Kelly – November 7, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh they better be careful, people are going to see how much better it is having 13 performances in a one hour show, rather than painfully stretching them over 2 hours.

Comment by AxeFactor – November 7, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s what ended up happening. It was definitely better. When the mentors had less time to meddle, it was almost always miles above what the acts did Wednesday. I laughed when Simon obviously fed Paulina the line about her one act being sick. She was clearly supposed to bring it up for him to go ‘oh I didn’t want to use it as an excuse’ but she can barely handle what they want from her as it is so she almost screwed her line up and Simon jumped in. Britney made more of a contribution for pete’s sake. How was Cheryl Cole a bad judge? She’s charming, actually mentors, and I can totally understand her accent. I will actually sit through X Factor season 4 if she gets brought back.

Comment by scooby – November 7, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon cancelled tonight’s Glee, no one is going to be happy!!!

Comment by DavidSask – November 7, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t this also happen on season 4 of American Idol? I think it was top 11 week or something

Comment by Simon – November 7, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep! Performances were on Tuesday, then instead of a results show they replayed Tuesday’s performances on Wednesday, then had a special emergency results show on Thursday. But this was in the days when Idol ruled the nation and they could safely pull shenanigans like that. X Factor is in no such position.

Comment by Ken – November 7, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happened to DWTS couple weeks ago as Michael mentioned. Wonder who this will help?

Comment by Chablis – November 7, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time for a conspiratory theory: Maybe Simon Cowell thought that all fans of country music (who watch The X Factor) would watch the CMAs instead of The X Factor – so they would not vote for Restless Road? Could you imagine the size of the fiasco – his Country boyband – allegedly the next One Direction – in the botton during the first week of voting????

Comment by Lili Ann Noln – November 7, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same and also that maybe he knew atleast where I live (I’m in Maryland) that the voice is not on tonight on NBC due to football so more people may tune into X factor who don’t want to watch football

Comment by Girl in MD – November 7, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the end of the day, none of these people (including the winner) will ever be heard from again, so voting integrity is a moot point. However, it’s a decent little tactic to get some publicity for a dying show.

Comment by Jo – November 7, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hate to be the graphic person.

Comment by Chablis – November 7, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is nobody watching anyway? It doesn’t bode well for American Idol.

Comment by Karina – November 7, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think so. Plenty of people watch Idol that don’t watch The X Factor. I watched The X Factor’s first season and was so turned off by the spectacle I haven’t watched it since. I still watch Idol every season (for better or for worse).

Comment by Aprilcot – November 7, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watch every season of Idol too though the old themes have been getting to me. I’ve tried to watch x-factor a few times & it just doesn’t engage me. I flipped to it last night but as soon as I saw it was Motown I switched over to CMAs till it was time for American Horror Story.
        I think my dislike of the theme night format is the reason I prefer the Voice. An old song reimagined is great now and then but not entire shows of bad karaoke versions just to get 1 or 2 performances that aren’t awful. I don’t like x-factor for multiple reasons but even Idol will continue its ratings decline if they don’t step back from week after week of shows full of nothing but 40+ year old music that’s already been done to death.
        I’ll be watching The Voice tonight.

Comment by AlyB – November 7, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I refuse to watch Idol until they limit the voting. 10K votes by one fanatic won’t translate into concert tix or music purchased. It skews the perception of success.

Comment by Stormy – November 7, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Paulina Rubio(the one who can hardly speak English) went to the same school as Obama. He thinks there’s 57 states and she’s thinks there’s a North California AND a SOUTH CALIFORNIA. Guess they did finally split it in half ! For her to say one of the contestants is from Lexington South California(it’s in SC near Columbia) and then nobody even correct it is unforgivable. I only watched about 5 mins. of it and happened to catch this part. The talent is no comparison to The Voice !

Comment by Patrick – November 7, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ That’s the thinly-veiled racist illiterate calling the kettle black.

Comment by Jo – November 7, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yet here you are spending your time whining about a show that you allegedly don”t watch. I’d bet my last dollar you’re a Republican.

Comment by Zobma – November 7, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sort of like the Democrat (Pelosi) who tries to promote a health care bill she has never read, Zobma? Pot calling the kettle black much? Have a great day in your obvious, biased, hatred. You poor baby.

Comment by Jen B – November 7, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty sure you have your analogies mixed up and you meant to say that Paulina Rubio went to the same school as Sarah Palin. After all, President Obama simply misspoke, while Sarah Palin really believed that Africa is a country and that North Korea are our allies, lol!

Comment by Zobma – November 7, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • maybe she did go to the same school he did, maybe not, but one thing is for sure and it’s that you could never even get into the schools Obama went to
      she is nervous and it’s her second language, let me hear you get everything perfect on a live show in Mexico while speaking Spanish and then we’ll talk and Obama probably had like 2 hours of sleep on the campaign when he said that stuff that he clearly knows isn’t the case (not that I think she has been exactly the best judge of the season or anything)

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • vote, vote, vote tonight for Tim Olstad!

Comment by Dolly – November 7, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t be mean to poor Paulina. I, too, am from South California.

Comment by David – November 7, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry Tim should have tried out for AGT. Nice voice but he will never win XFactor.

Comment by Chablis – November 7, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boy they can’t get anything right for Rachel Potter! Now they show the background shots and intro for Rion before Rachel sings haha.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty sure the glitch was everyone voting for The Voice Instead!

Comment by Jasmine – November 7, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far I think the re-do hurt Carlos the most and helped Rion the most.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess it probably helped Josh a ton too.

Comment by HTGR – November 7, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mainly, this is the reason I stopped watching this show after Season 1.

Comment by GingerSnap – November 7, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonight, I thought Alex and Sierra were in a whole different league then the rest. I’m going to buy that song if I can. This will be a first for me. They’re the only reason I’m still watching this show, and I was a die-hard X Factor supporter from day 1.

Comment by grumpy ole' lady – November 7, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What are they up to? They were all better then ever before. Awesome goosebumbs!!!!

Comment by heidieckert – November 7, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely planned. Sponsored segments, fewer commercials and Fox ain’t losing out on any $$.

Comment by Ryan – November 7, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s wrong with these people. They made another stupid mistake on the redux show. They showed Rion Payge’s intro after Lopez announced Rachel Potter, the one performing. Heads have been chopped off and rolled downhill for less. Stupid! Stupid!

Comment by Claudia Costa Chaves – November 8, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every single one of these performers sounded much much better on Thursday than the night before. Amazing how well they can do when they choose their own songs even with only 24 hours to prepare rather than spending a week full of meddling from their mentors working on some old Motown stuff that most of them are too young to remember.

Comment by SS – November 8, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So are you just not going to recap the results show performances, Slezak?

Comment by Jasmine – November 8, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve noticed that there’s a real absence of talk about X Factor in most blogs/entertainment news sections. I think it’s reflective of the plunging numbers of viewers.

Comment by grumpy ole' lady – November 8, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These snafu’s didn’t surprise me at all–only that it took so long to become obvious how ill-run and mismanaged this show has been. I’ve mentioned several times, that my s/o auditioned in Greensboro NC, and last spring in NOLA.
    Greensboro was pretty much a mess, but it pales next to the disaster that was NOLA. Thousands of people were in gale force winds on an open sided parking ramp leading to the auditorium. They wouldn’t let us in, though 3-inch deep water was cascading down the ramps, and people were being pelted by rain. Besides the obvious mess of having ones audition clothes ruined, there were some in real physical danger, and the powers that be wouldn’t let us in for a long time.
    The chaotic way they processed people in these initial auditions didn’t happen in a vacuum, but was an indication of the way the entire production was being handled. This surprised me no end because I thought that Cowell et al would have run a tighter ship, seeing that one of his pet projects was on the line.

Comment by grumpy ole' lady – November 8, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says a lot about X-Factor’s fortunes that even Michael Slezak didn’t bother to review Thursday night’s show. Put it out of its misery.

Comment by connerc – November 9, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Simon’s two hatchet pals cut Potter because she is the only real star on the show this season. Now the three can put on their average at best contestants and try and pass them off as future stars! Not a chance in —-! Miss Potter should tell the X-Factor to shove it and go on the Voice. That would show Simon and his two pals who the real star is!

Comment by John Anthony – November 17, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still cannot believe hosts such as Mario Lopez and Ryan Seacrest are being told/forced to wish all the acts good luck right before someone is eliminated. Lopez did it just tonight right after pointing out that someone is about to go home. Obviously they cannot all have good luck, can they? Not possible!

Comment by Anthony Rhody – November 21, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post