The Voice Live Playoffs Results Recap: Did the Right Singers Make the Top 12?

The Voice - Season 5 Team AdamIn the spirit of total honesty, I have to make a confession: Whenever Cee Lo Green serves up his usual blend of word salad on The Voice, my brain goes all fuzzy like an old black-and-white TV set with faulty bunny ears. (Cut to all of the show’s teenage contestants: “What do you mean by black-and-white TV set? And what does a TV have to do with bunnies?”)

But on tonight’s Live Playoffs results telecast — which whittled the Season 5 field from 20 vocalists down to a lean, mean 12 — the henna-headed, eccentric coach delivered a message that not only made sense, but was poignant enough that it bears repeating.

“This is my most uncomfortable moment. I don’t enjoy this at all,” said Cee Lo, as he was asked to choose one artist from among the three lowest vote-getters on his team. After making the confession, however, he added a entreaty to the audience: “Please continue to support these aspiring artists.”

I know I’m a cynical bastard who spends a lot of time snarking about the highs and lows of the country’s various reality singing extravaganzas, but Cee Lo’s appeal resonated with me. When you lose eight legitimately talented vocalists from a competition in the course of an hour, there’s no way to do it without some real pain. Dreams get crushed. Potential gets stifled. Our own votes and hopes get upended.

But the beauty of a show like The Voice is that even the fallen gladiators live on — in dive bars and arenas and clubs across the country, with singles and albums and EPs on iTunes. Me? I’m gonna download that Matt Cermanski CD I’ve been meaning to buy for three weeks now. Which ousted Voice contestant will you vote for with your wallet tonight or in the future? It’s worth thinking about…

Anyway, with that small slice of sentimentality in the books — don’t get used to it, people! — let’s jump to the night’s results:

TEAM BLAKE

Saved by Xtina: Josh Logan
Eliminated: Stephanie Anne Johnson, Olivia Henken

TEAM ADAM
Voted through by America: James Wolpert, Tessanne Chin
Saved by Adam: Will Champlin
Eliminated: Grey, Preston Pohl

No jaw-dropping surprises, I suppose, though I’d say that Ray’s failure to land in the Top 2 on Team Blake was unexpected. As for the coaches’ decisions, I really wish that Xtina had rescued Stephanie Anne over Josh, and that Cee Lo would’ve rescued either Amber or Tamara, seeing how his heinous song choices doomed them before they’d sung a single note.

What did you think of tonight’s Voice results? Were you shocked by any of the voting tallies? Did you disagree with any of the coaches’ Saves? Sound off below! And for all my reality TV recaps, news, commentary and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Bryan says:

Preston out what? Only reason I watched also I’ll be looking forward to more of his music.

2. Sea L says:

If we work collectively we can make our voices heard. Tweet, email, download or whatever it takes on as many sites as you can to show support for Preston. It could help him get a recording contract. Preston now has fans in Malaysia as well as US, Canada, Brazil, Germany and France.

3. Claudette says:

I wish that Shelbie Z was still in on Blake’s team and Grey from Adam’s team. Either one of them could have gone all the way. There are others also. I like Michael from Christina’s team and I also like Kat, Caroline and Jacquie.

4. Jet says:

Preston is the only one on the show that can go on to do anything. The rest are Karaoke crap. Surprised that a pro let go from the show. Preston has real talent the rest are average and nothing special about them. Tessanne is nice and a good background singer but really a dime a dozen. Preston is unique and that is what sets him apart.

5. Sea says:

Well there seems to be a movement afoot. I work at a university and today someone put up posters of Preston on the Voice asking folks to support him throught tweets, texts, downloads etc. Yea Preston!!

6. DMH says:

JUST OPINIONS …

-Blake had the best 3 go through although Cole and Ray should have been top 2 with Austin being saved for his ability to emote. Strong top 3 much better than last season compared to swine brothers and one dimensional Danielle
    -Christina top three should have been Matthew, Stephanie, and Josh; Jacqie too much belching and screaming and too little artistry and interpretation, Josh has similar issue but has greater potential – Matthew also sounds like he screams at top of range sometimes but has star quality that may turn out to be overrated ultimately I think Xtina team is weak
    -CeeLo top should have been Kat, Jonny, with Tamara being saved; Kat has interesting voice and stage presence Jonny unique tone and ability to use it and Tamara killed the I Will Survive rendition with such smooth effortless vocals; no idea why America voted for Caroline because her unique tone was basically monotone and sweetness does not equate to interesting or talent – overall has the weakest team
    -Adam should have had Tessanne, Will, and Preston go through although this was a toughy. The problem with Adams team is that any of the five were better than most of CeeLo and Xtina top three. I would have been fine with Matthew going through or Grey although I thought she is not vocally as strong. I think Preston could have developed more to work on his range but is more consistent than James overall plus has that special raspy tone that I would love to hear sing different genres. Will is so special and so easy to relate to vocally and did so well on his performance; Tessanne has such control over her range that unlike folks on Xtina team does not sound like she is screaming or belching she works over the high notes – I hope someone from Adam team wins unlike the major disappointment of last season ugh

7. gwen says:

I’m really shocked that Preston Phol did not get to the end his voice is add unique as Roland Wolfe. He had me screaming every time he was up on the voice. Well he will make it. Very disappointing Canadians should be able to vote as well. I watch this at Canada. Thank you for reading. :)