NBC's Sound of Music Live! First Look: Carrie Underwood and Stephen Moyer Revive a Classic

The hills are alive with… the first promo for NBC’s The Sound of Music Live!.

The holiday event, based on the original 1959 Broadway production and airing Thursday, Dec. 5 at 8/7c., stars Grammy winner Carrie Underwood as Maria and True Blood‘s Stephen Moyer as Capt. Georg Von Trapp. Audra McDonald (Private Practice), Christian Borle (Smash) and Laura Benanti (Go On) round out the ensemble.

Press PLAY below and then post your snappy judgements in the comments.

Loading video...

1. Jo says:

In this version, Captain VonTrapp is Maria’s cousin.

• Ed says:

What? Is this an attempt at humor? I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make.

• Shelby says:

Yes, she thinks she is being clever by making a “witty” comment alluding to country folk supposedly frequently marrying their cousins – because Carrie Underwood is “country” singer. It is a very worn out, tired old joke that is rarely even attempted for humor anymore.

Sadly some people can’t be funny without being offensive to other groups of people

Ironically, the royalty and well to do of Europe were probably much more prominent in marrying cousins and relatives but I guess that doesn’t seem funny
        enough to mock and make fun of…

2. Matt says:

The preview looks awesome, and I also know that there have been a lot of people complaining about Carrie Underwood being cast and her not being able to live up to the original or being the right type of voice because she is a country singer, but honestly she is an amazing s

• Matt says:

*singer in general and I think that Julie Andrews would be proud!

• Larry McD says:

I don’t really care whether Julie Andrews would be proud or not. I learned these lyrics listening to Mary Martin and the Broadway cast and Carrie Underwood is gonna hit this one out of the park. All these people who are complaining about her casting weren’t watching the tribute to Broadway episode of American Idol when she was competing. This girl could do Broadway (if she was willing to take a massive pay cut).

3. Mar says:

OMG NO! They’re going to ruin one of my favorite movie ever. I like Carrie but she just doesn’t fit as Maria. But I’ll probably check it out and see how they’ll ruin a beloved classic.

4. cuius says:

Be interesting to see how “live” is defined

5. Ally_D says:

Deluded much: performing live in front of the entire universe!!!!!!!!!????? No-one outside of north America will see this and, believe it or not, the US/Canada does not the entire universe make.

6. emmazaremba22 says:

I’m so thrilled about this. I can’t wait!

7. Truefan says:

I wasn’t sure about Carrie Underwood but after I watched the clip, I think she’ll be sensational!

8. Sarah says:

I think anyone trying to celebrate the American musical is commendable. I was hesitant upon hearing Carrie Underwood was cast as Maria, but I love her work ethic and how important she has made this project. She said that she had been working to remove the “twang” and country-sequel sound in her singing (and I will assume diction), which I believe will make her performance that much more believable. It will be exciting to see, actually looking forward to it!

9. Jj says:

And as I predicted the keys have been altered because her range isn’t high enough to sing the role. All the good high notes will be butchered.
    Her low range is fine though,
    SM is no Captain Von Trapp though. I keep asking myself wth Bill is doing onstage. When the Captain is mad, that’s when we’ll see Billith!

• Rachelle says:

Love your SM comment! Literally made me LOL when you mentioned Billith! I am having a hard time picturing him in that role as well.

• Helen says:

Carrie Underwo0od not be able to hit those high notes. Apparently you have never heard Carrie sing the song” How Great Thou Art”/ If you should ever get to hear her sing that song I guarantee you it will give you goose boomps..It is beautiful

10. liz says:

what the heck, I have 3 hours of time just looking for something to fill it :P

11. Titina says:

So excited about this! Cannot wait! I think is perfect casting. Carrie sounds sensational and Stephen Boyer as Captain Vonn Trapp is perfect! Loved the kids too!

12. Liz985 says:

I feel for these performers who get so hemmed in by their fans and detractors, alike (Carrie is only country, Stephen is only a vampire, etc etc). I wish people would realize that performers sometimes need to expand and take chances or conversely that this is part of their training and experience and they love being in the position of having the choice to do pieces like this. Look, I like the movie, too, but I’m open to see how this unfolds for a new generation of viewers.

• Jj says:

I feel that performers should know their limitations. If you don’t have the range, don’t try to play Maria. It’s not just the movie that is great either. There are many great stage adaptations. And they all have one thing in common. Performers capable of the singing and acting requirements. I don’t think that is too much to ask.

• jk says:

And how do you know she can’t act. I figure the casting director probably took both elements into account…

• Jj says:

I didn’t say she couldn’t act. It just happens to be another reason a person shouldn’t take a part they are not ready for. Sometimes casting directors have to make hard choices. If they want to cast only well known names, they sometimes have to sacrifice certain things. This is a prime example of that.

• Liz985 says:

And how do you know what her limitations are? Were you there at the audition? Are you watching the rehearsals? You’re judging a performance that hasn’t even happened yet and won’t happen for another month. Don’t be so close-minded.

• Jj says:

I heard the clip. The key is lowered. She doesn’t have the range. It has nothing to do with being closed minded and everything to do with being able to sing the role myself.

• Liz985 says:

What a 30-second clip in which she doesn’t even sing for the entire time and an entire performance is pre-judged? And so what if the key is lowered? Music is meant to be interpreted, not mimicked – that’s called karaoke.

13. NYCer4Life says:

I’m glad Max and the Baroness’s songs made the cut for this special. Carrie Underwood has her work cut out for her. She’ll be singing alongside the great Audra McDonald and Laura Benanti, who played Maria in the 1998 Broadway revival of THE SOUND OF MUSIC when she was 19 years old. Underwood blew chunks during Broadway night on IDOL when she sang, if I recall correctly, “Hello, Young Lovers” from THE KING AND I, which was also written by THE SOUND OF MUSIC’s creators Rodgers & Hammerstein. I need to hear the full version but I already don’t like how Underwood sang “The hills are alive with the sound of music.” Her country stylized vocals don’t fit the score as it was meant to be sung. Underwood probably would have been better off by following Reba McIntire and doing ANNIE GET YOUR GUN instead. We shall have to see.

14. Mel says:

I think this is a great idea. Sound of Music is one of my favorite shows. I know that most people only know the movie, so it should be pointed out that like they said in the article, this is based of the original 1959 Broadway production where Mary Martin originated the role. Mary sung Maria in a much lower key that Julie Andrews (who I adore) did in the film. I’m a bit of a theatre purist but I think that so far this looks wonderful, and I think that Carrie will do a lovely job.

15. Kritter Lady says:

To all the doubters…Carrie Underwood sang Sound of Music years ago on a tv special and was amazing! Here is a link to het performance, http://youtu.be/wPUvPT_TiPs

• Jo says:

It’s also not an accurate assessment of how she’ll do. She should be even better. She was really sick when she did that performance. Although I do like he raspy sound her illness gave her voice.

16. Gail says:

Once Upon a Time In Wonderland or the Sound of Muzak. Decisions Decisions

17. emily says:

I was looking really excited for this until they announced Carrie Underwood, she has an amazing voice, but not the voice to pull of this musical

18. cjeffery7 says:

ooh i’m actually kind of into now…. classic musicals and wonderful singers…. damn it if i can’t say no!

19. Will says:

Carrie Underwood fans would be the ones commenting around here.

Anyone who truly appreciates this musical could see what a terrible casting decision it was; would rather go out and be productive, volunteer, exercise, basically do something to better myself/the universe than watch this garbage.

• Vi says:

Well, no one’s asking you to watch! And if as you say that Carrie Underwood fans are the ones commenting, why are you? You’re clearly not a fan. Go better yourself!

20. Mark says:

Max and the Baroness’ songs are in? I’m so there! Don’t get me wrong, I love the Julie Andrews musical to death, but I do miss those two songs from the play.

21. Tsp Funds says:

It’s very straightforward to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as
    I found this paragraph at this web page.

22. Mia Peter says:

Maybe they all want Taylor Swift to take part of Maria. It is on so obvious. These are Carrie haters. I didn’t get it. She actually sound flawless.

23. Alice says:

I’m sorry, but maybe I am just not getting the significance of the ‘live’ aspect of the show. Plenty of other companies broadcast their live stage shows (Met Opera, Royal Opera House, and National Theatre in the UK). Whether the show is being filmed and broadcast live should have no influence on the actual staging and performance of the show.

I’m really hoping they don’t have commercials other than during intermission, because that would completely ruin it!

I love musicals and am all for promoting them, but I guess I just think this isn’t actually that big a deal, nor is it groundbreaking, in my opinion.

24. Kilburn Hall says:

There were definite and obvious problems with NBC’s live one-take Sound Of Music extravaganza but Carrie Underwood was the least of them and probably one of the better casting choices considering the other horrible choices. Moyer as Capt. too young. The Baroness too likeable-not crawfish enough. And Max- they needed Nathan Lane here. Where’s Nathan Lane? One of the worst casting decisions- a black Mother Superior who grew up in the mountains of Austria? Though I love Audra McDonald- even that was a stretch.
    The costuming and sets were horrendous. Producers made little investment in costumes and sets for large profit return. I commend Underwood for being courageous enough to even attempt the effort facing overwhelming outrage going into the project. Those old enough to remember will remember that Julie Andrews had her critics to. The intense criticism of the production won’t stop NBC or other major broadcast networks from exploiting masterpieces for quick profit and $$$$. NBC’s motives were purely Ca-ching! Direct your outrage at NBC executives- not Underwood.

25. Melody says:

Hi carrie underwood this is melody I am a huge fan of the sound of music you were great singing and everything u do congratulations on joining the grand ole opry I am proud of your songs u r beautiful no matter what I saw you on American idol good job. 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷😀😀😀😀😀😀

26. Melody says:

To carrie underwood have you been sick during the sound of music I love you and I hope god blesses you with all of his heart and yes he does care about you like I do but was american idol a little bit hard for you or were you nervous this is melody ann stecz your new fan have a blessed day and you always mean the world to us to your fans and we do love you and congrats in everything you have done for us it means a lot how is your new album doing is going to be a little bit darker or sassy