Once Upon a Time First Look: Storybrooke Drama for Belle and Ariel, Neal/Emma/Hook and More

This Sunday, ABC’s Once Upon a Time travels back to Storybrooke, where things aren’t quiet as one might think.

As previously reported, the show will rewind a bit to when Rumple, Emma et al first set sail for Neverland, leaving Belle in charge of protecting the sleepy Maine burg. Ariel will eventually surface in Storybrooke, sent by Rumple and Regina to help Belle locate an artifact the Dark One can use to trump Pan.

But it appears that just as Beauty makes friends with The Little Mermaid, two men — ID’d in captions simply as “keychain” and “glasses,” and played by James Immekus and Matt Kane — stir up trouble, lashing the lasses together. A possible clue to their identities: Freya Tingley, who last season guest-starred as Wendy Darling, also appears in the episode.

Meanwhile in Neverland: Emma, Neal and Hook try to ignore the tremendous amounts of awkward as they journey to Dark Hollow to find and hopefully capture Peter Pan’s shadow.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Spoilers — Tinker Bell’s Big Face-Off!

I’ve captioned some, though not all, of these preview pics.

1. IM_Hooked says:

These captions are hilarious. . . you should do this for all your slide shows.

2. abz says:

LMAO @ “Gasp! Hipsters”
    Could those men be flotsam and jetsam?

3. Mellie says:

I think that they’ll be John and Michael, Wendy’s brothers… Like they became Lost Boys and are now working for Pan. Wendy will appear since she is trapped in Neverland, in the other hanging cage that Baelfire was not in.

4. Sonya Smith says:

HA..the (all) spark…you slay me Matt!

5. courts says:

Good to see that Belle is only there to be a plot device and a victim. Wouldn’t want to branch out with her character or anything.
    All the other promos look too much like every other episode to get worked up about, but I assume now that they have super magical Neal who totally escaped Neverland and wasn’t all let off so that he could impregnate teenage Emma and create Henry, Tink will help them. How come nobody has called shenanigans on Neal’s ‘escape’?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Eight minutes? You’re dragging, “courts”….

• courts says:

Sorry, Matt. I’m at work. Just confused about how they’ve actually had Hook say nobody but Neal has ever escaped Neverland with Pan’s say so without anyone making the connection that perhaps Pan’s centuries long obsession with Henry might somehow connected. Unless they’re saving it as a ~twist or something.

• tracy84 says:

They did address that issue already. Bae confronted Pan & Pan told him he can’t leave Neverland w/o his permission to which Bae replied he did before and Pan basically challenged that theory & said something like did u really leave. no one leaves i dont want to, and yet your here, it’s as if u never left. So Neal not necessarily escaping Nwverland on his own has been addressed.

6. Dani says:

I figured they’re the Lost Boy versions of John and Michael Darling.

7. TessaMae says:

Aren’t those dudes with the guns just DARLING? winkwinkwinkwinkwinkwink

Maybe?

8. Melanie says:

Michael & John Darling are perfectly cast. Can’t wait to see their shenanigans. And I love everything about the Emma/Neal caps. LOL!

9. Lorena says:

The guy with glasses is the one is the brit in Switched at birth?

10. Christina says:

Your captions are great. I love that ONCE just exists so I can laugh at everything related to it at this point.

11. Looks more like a Lament Configuration. Hellraiser comes to Storybrooke.

12. Viv says:

Oh thank you so so much! I had an awful day and that made everything SO MUCH better! :D :D

13. Kristina says:

Excellent captions! Thanks for posting photos!

14. Arie says:

Interesting no one noticed the LOST reference yet.

• Stefan says:

What reference are you referring at? I’m a diehard LOST fan and didn’t notice anything

• Mary says:

The caption on 12 with Belle saying that she was about to go adopt a dead squirrel as her baby. Clare did that in the later seasons after she couldn’t find Aaron.

• Abby says:

Yeah, but it’s not the first time they’ve used/had McCutcheon whiskey on the show. You made me look again, though, cuz I missed it on the first look through the pictures – nice catch!

• bluefairy says:

Every time someone drinks whiskey on OUAT, it’s Widmore’s whiskey. Just like every time someone eats chocolate, it’s an Apollo bar. It’s not the first and probably not the last time we see one of these items. It’s a nice wink to Lost fans and I like it, but it’s not surprising anymore, we’re used to it. I’d be surprised if they suddenly started showing different brands :)

15. Lysh says:

Looks like Belle has been spending her Rumple-less time with Widmore’s whiskey.
    As always, love your captions, Matt.

16. aplwrites says:

“Gasp, Hipsters!”

Gold, pure gold.

17. Amy says:

Yeah, your captions are back….love them. I didn’t think I missed Storybrooke until the the promo, and Hook/Emma/Neal on a dangerous adventure together, that should get awkward.

18. majamababe says:

Matt – you are awesome! Thanks for the laughs!

19. James D says:

“Like, really — I was about to take a dead squirrel and pretend it was my child.” HAHA priceless. well done sir well done. i definitely vote for making this a regular thing.

20. Rachel says:

Great comments, Matt! I sincerely hope you do more in the future.
    I am so excited for Sunday’s episode! I’ve missed seeing Belle and I can’t wait to see what she’s up to!

21. Parker says:

This was extremely funny^^ I don’t think the episode will be that good :D

22. murley says:

Loved the captions, especially the squirrel baby one and “gasp! Hipsters!”. I think the caption for Ariel examining the corkscrew needs to be “look at this stuff. Isn’t it neat?”

23. Hook’s caption with wanting another kiss and Emma saying seriously was great! Hilarious!

24. Hodan says:

“And us…?”
    [Silence]

LMAO! Pleas do this more.

25. tvdiva says:

You had me at “Megatron.” Please keep doing funny captions.

26. Stormy says:

So, is Ariel there to get the chronometer from Gold’s shop and bring it back so they can leave Neverland? Or is that a dumb question?

27. rk535 says:

lol! such awesome captions!

28. Tamara says:

I agree with everyone else. I could care less about the show recently, but those captions were awesome. More please!

29. Jake says:

Unfortunately for the OUAT, Matt’s captions are better than the actual show – so really now, Pan somehow found out about the Regina & Gold’s plan, and sent his henchmen to thwart it? ……..I can’t believe Gold, Regina, and Emma haven’t just teamed up and out magicked Pan – wouldn’t that have been the first thing to try?

30. Jess says:

I also vote for more funny captions!!

31. Jennifer says:

Well…if Hook is really that lonely and Emma’s back with Neal, I’d be more then happy to help him out!

32. greenjellofrog says:

Great Captions, pure delight. Better writers than OUAT writers. They really believe we are stupid?
    Dragging this season, we need more Dark One Time and less Charmings. Do we really care about Swan Theif or Captain Swan? Save Henry and go home. Leave the Charmings there. MM can be the lost boys mother. Have a great weekend one and all