The Voice Recap: Louder Than a Lion [Updated]

Jacquie Lee The VoiceDid you ever get so excited by a primetime network broadcast that you wanted to pick up your TV set and hurl it against a wall* — the way a heavy-metal guitarist in the throes of an arena encore might destroy his instrument to the cheers and whistles of the crowd?  (*If your answer is “no,” just ride this recap out till the end of the next paragraph, OK?)

That insane urge swelled up inside me during tonight’s installment of The Voice‘s Season 5 Live Playoffs, prompted by the perfect storm of a fine but somewhat sleepy opening 100 minutes, followed by back-to-back performances that featured all the fire and beauty and excitement of flying a helicopter over a live volcano.

RELATED | Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Revenge, The Crazy Ones, Castle, Parenthood and More!

Yeah, I know, I’m neck-deep in hyperbole, but I’m willing to stick said neck out into the internets and say Jacquie Lee and Matthew Schuler absolutely earned such high praise. Their displays of vocal horsepower not only made the second set of Live Playoffs — focused on Team Cee Lo and Team Xtina — worth remembering, but also guaranteed that Season 5 remains must-see TV (even without the presence of Matt Cermanski).

Oh sure, there were the usual moments of subtle (and overt) sabotage: Like weighing down R&B hopeful Amber Nicole with a country tune — then arranging it about a half-step too high for her vocal range — or locking Tamara Chaunice in karaoke prison by way of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive.” And don’t even get me started on the tragedy of Stephanie Anne Johnson’s ill-tailored belt.

RELATED | Ranking The Voice Top 20 Heading Into the Live Playoffs

But thanks to Matthew and Jacquie, those moments of pure peevery are the secondary stories, not the headline. With that in mind, let me assign letter grades for tonight’s performances:

TEAM CEE LO
MORTAL LOCK TO ADVANCE
Caroline Pennell: The White Stripes’ “We’re Going to Be Friends” — Grade: A- | Caroline definitely solidified her front-runner status this week with another vocal that was as refreshing and clear as mountain springwater — as well as her ability to add lovely little flourishes to the melody line. Cee Lo, however, needs to be very cautious about limiting his star pupil’s musical color palette to 50 shades of pastel. I won’t pretend I didn’t enjoy hearing Caroline let her precious flag fly again, but Blake’s “cotton candy” critique may have been precient: Man (and reality competition contestants) cannot live on spun sugar alone.

ALMOST DEFINITELY GOING HOME
Amber Nicole: Cassadee Pope’s “Wasting All These Tears” — Grade: D | Poor Amber didn’t just get thown under the bus, she actually wound up under a layer of pavement and then under the bus thanks to Cee Lo’s oddball pop-country song choice and total lack of help in reconfiguring it to fit her R&B diva style. Oddly, the kid didn’t sound too bad in the intermittent moments where the equally terrible arrangement wasn’t forcing her to strain past the upper limits of her register, but maybe it’s best she heads home now. I mean, if Amber somehow advances to next week, I’m worried Cee Lo will assign her Limp Bizkit’s “Nookie” or some other sabotage-minded selection.

COULD GO EITHER WAY, BASED ON CURRENT BUZZ + TONIGHT’S PERFORMANCE
Tamara Chauniece: Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” — Grade: B+ (vocals)/C+ (listening experience) | Is Cee Lo not aware that iTunes sales count toward contestants’ overall success or failure? I mean, seriously, his choice of a threadbare karaoke classic like “I Will Survive” for Tamara was akin to sending a kid out to play in the snow dressed in board shorts and a tank top. That said, Tamara managed to deliver a solid vocal and deliver a few tasty ad-libs — even with the tempo sped up to almost sadistic speed. The question now is whether she’ll somehow get phone and facebook votes from viewers who take a “love the singer/hate the song” approach to fandom. My guess is probably not.

Jonny Gray: The Verve’s “Bittersweet Symphony” — Grade: B | Jonny’s got a warm, lovely tone, but listening to him strictly abide by the Verve’s melody for the opening half of his number exposed a major potential weakness: The inability to find fresh ways to breathe life into well-known ditties. Xtina was right that the performance came to life when Jonny got down the stairs, waded into the crowd and let his vocals rip, but even then, he offered more of a rock-solid cover than an intriguing interpretation, if that makes any sense. Still, it’s hard to imagine he won’t eke out a spot in Cee Lo’s Top 3 come Thursday.

Kat Robichaud: Mary Lambert’s “She Keeps You Keep Me Warm” — Grade: C- | I found it a little peculiar, possibly even unnerving, that Cee Lo would choose this anthem for same-sex unions, and that Kat would gladly take it on, only to drop the “she” from the chorus and turn it into a gender-neutral “you.” Was that her reason for randomly hugging a gal in the audience to end the performance? Why not just tell us about your happy marriage to a dude but then go into storyteller mode for 90 seconds? Lyrical switcheroos aside, though, the far more serious problem was Kat’s struggle to play it “vulnerable” through the opening half of the tune — a move that led to an unpleasant mix of excessive vibrato and almost nonexistent lower register. Kat’s one of those vocalists whose sense of pitch increases whenever she starts belting, but in this case of this performance, said redemption felt like a case of too little, too late.

TEAM XTINA
MORTAL LOCK TO ADVANCE
Jacquie Lee: Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ “I Put a Spell On You” — Grade: A+ | We knew from last week’s “Stompa” that Jacquie had range and brute strength in her arsenal, but “I Put a Spell On You” was some next-level business! That insane high note on the line “things you do”? The rockstar grab of the mic-stand? The haunting, almost possessed delivery of “I don’t care that you don’t want me”? Every moment from the sultry intro to the audience adulation was absolutely awesome. Either that or she actually put me under a spell — which, given how her cover almost made me destroy my TV set — is a definite possibility. Either way, next Monday — and Jacquie’s next number — can’t get here soon enough.

Matthew Schuler: Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” — Grade: A | A ditty, if you’ll indulge, to the tune of “Wrecking Ball”…
He sang, he grooved, each note in tune
He jumped, never asked Xtina why
The song’s played out, but he did not pout
His vocals no one could deny

First I voted, then downloaded
A Miley Cyrus ditty
Cannot tell a lie, when it’s by this guy
The song’s actually quite pretty

He sang it like a wrecking ball
Matt Schuler hit so hard each note
But he never hit the vocal wall
He’s got to make the Top 3

COULD GO EITHER WAY, BASED ON CURRENT BUZZ + TONIGHT’S PERFORMANCE
Stephanie Anne Johnson: Ray Charles’ “Georgia on My Mind” — Grade: B+ | This was one of those strange performances I thoroughly enjoyed, while nevertheless wishing I could change everything about it (starting, but hardly limited to, that unfortunate seafoam green skirt). Which isn’t to say Stephanie’s vocal choices weren’t surprising or successful — because with a few little exceptions, her dips and yelps and trills and mmm-mmms were on-point. It’s just that, of all the members of Team Xtina, Stephanie was the one from whom I’d expected a big surprise. “Georgia on My Mind” is a timeles classic, sure, but so are hundreds of other numbers that haven’t been flogged to death on reality singing competitions. Still, if Xtina can somehow find the right vehicle for Stephanie Anne’s supple voice, there’s no telling how far she can drive into Season 5. And that’s why I’m hoping she’ll be the one to join Jacquie and Matthew in Team Xtina’s Top 3.

Olivia Henken: Katy Perry’s “Roar” — Grade: B | I liked Xtina’s idea to twang up the ubiquitous lion-themed hit, and aside from a handful of jank notes, Olivia executed the plan solidly. Stacked against Jacquie and Matthew’s jaw-dropping work, however, the Reese Witherspoon lookalike played the part of plain baked potato to her rivals’ flawless surf & turf combo. Also hurting Olivia’s momentum: Restless Road’s own countrified “Roar” from last week’s X Factor. Yeah, the boy band’s rendition was unquestionably inferior, but it also came first. (Waah waah waah.)

ALMOST DEFINITELY GOING HOME
Josh Logan: Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy” — Grade: C- | How-ow-OW-ow-ow-OW-ow-ow mu-uh-uh-uh-uch viiiiiiiibraaaaaato iiiiisss too-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh mu-uh-uh-uh-uch viiiiiiiibraaaaaato? Listen to Josh’s smooth-jazz reinterpretation of Cee Lo’s finest musical moment and you’ll have the answer, times ten.

And with that, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of tonight’s Live Playoffs? What did you think of the coaches’ somewhat more criticial feedback? Who were your faves? Who are you worried about? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. whatabout says:

Not on the Caroline Pennell train. It seems like everyone is being swept up by her sweet voice when she sounds very much like other artists who don’t get much credit. Last week it was it was almost a perfect imitation of Ingrid Michaelson. This week – “We’re Going to Be Friends” – while originally by the White Stripes – was covered by Jack Johnson and Caroline did a Jack Johnson version/arrangement. Unfortunately for both songs, she didn’t add anything new or diverse to the songs. Caroline – as sweet as her voice is – sounds the same as some other lesser known really great artists. Nothing new yet.

2. sophie says:

Ladies and Gentlemen- Christina Aguilera! What a voice, what a performance, what a raw emotion. I just love her, glad she is finding her way back to the top where she belongs.

3. kokuanani says:

I’m surprised that you haven’t created an extensive comment on the “staging” of contestants and the positive or negative effect that has on them. Some contestants benefit from simple, straight-forward staging: simple, direct lighting [no flashing, strobe-like stuff], direct camera work. Obviously the tempo of the selected song affects this, but when some poor contestant is trying to sing with flashing lights, the stupid STUPID waving hands, and general mayhem, it’s hard to concentrate on that individual’s talent, voice & performance. There should be some rule that prohibits this sort of excessive craziness until the finals. It’s distracting and does not serve the contestants or we who vote.

4. The Guest says:

I’m calling it now — once again Adam won’t have a single singer on the final night of the show. And I suspect Christina might have two.

• davey says:

Since James is the only one who made top 10 on iTunes, you may be wrong.

• Kaba says:

The problem is…
        Adam is the only judge I’ve ever witnessed ruin his team beyond belief before the semi finals.
        No other judge has had two of their own booted the same night before. Let alone twice.
        Hopefully he can maintain choosing good songs for once. He’s always been abysmal at that.

• Lee says:

I don’t think song choices have anything to do with it. IMO Blake made TERRIBLE song choices last season. Did you really like half the songs Danielle sang–including that Grampa song?!

• Kaba says:

The difference being that Danielle proved that she could sing anything and people would blindly vote. I hated Blakes song choices last season, not because they didn’t really suit his singers well, but because they were just boring songs.
            Adam picked good songs that by no means were doable with his singers. We can all keep acting like “Mama Knows Best” was a great song choice for Sarah but that was just forced growling all over the place. Then he gave Judith that Nina Simone rendition of “Feeling Good” and…no :/ Then “You Got a Friend” was fine…but nothing serious.
            Amber was the only thing good about his season.
            At least Blake, be the songs boring as ever, picks songs that he knows his artists can do some justice

• The Guest says:

I’d say the only reason the Swon Brothers kept advancing is because they sang the best song they possibly could each week and kept knocking them out of the park. Danny’s Song took them to a whole new level.

• APP says:

I’m sorry, I have to disagree. No one is worse in choosing songs that CeeLo, as evidenced by just about every song he stuck his team with last night.

• Kaba says:

CeeLo just claimed that position as of this season unless he redeems himself next week.
            But last time I checked, at least CeeLo was capable of getting his contestants to reasonable spot by the end of the season.
            Adam hasn’t taken a team to the Finale since season 2…where they all did.
            And I don’t count Season 1 considering anyone would have won with Javier Colon

• Terry says:

He is? Really? Hmmm, that surprises me. But I have to say, I really like that counting iTunes sales thing that The Voice does. The other shows won’t even show where the contestants are charting, if they charting. It’s one thing to vote for someone but when you put your money where your mouth is and actually buy their songs, I think that says a lot more.

• Tom22 says:

While I know James did provide a very good performance that would be very popular there is no doubt in my mind that 1) apple employees are more likely than the average person to use Itunes — they probably have an employee discount like most companies do 2) that people do “turn-out” for their own to vote. Most would vote by the other methods … many might also buy the tune if they wanted for some extra oomph.. but .. I could see a real concerted effort by apple employees to buy wolperts song especially if it only cost the 50 cents or something like that.

Again.. I think he would have been up with the other top ones without that help.. just saying that the extra help from that itunes-company fan base pushed him a little higher on the chart than he would have been.

5. Chris says:

I really like Jonny. I really like The Verve. I didn’t understand the song choice for him though. CeeLo said he feels Jonny’s at his best when he sings songs with a message and that may be true, but don’t all songs generally have a message? One he can actually get behind and embody would be a great idea. I said from the get go Jonny is the real deal, but CeeLo needs to give him something he can “feel”, otherwise he’ll continue to come off as singing well – aka karaoke. Come on Jonny… Perhaps an Eddie Vedder tune will wake what is in you?

I thought Kat was great at being Kat. I simply don’t care that the song was written for same sex unions or an anthem rather. I’m not going to dig that deep to find criticism. She’s entertaining, a good singer, and genuine. A little too much vibrato, but I’m not made at ya. Keep it goin’ Kat.

Jacquie was great, but I don’t think I’d buy her music or go see her live.

Matthew slayed, again. Get it Matt.

• JM says:

Completely agree about Jonny. Love his Youtube videos, particularly ‘D.M.F.D’. I said in a message above that I think his nerves are getting to him, and maybe if he stood still with a guitar, maybe he could focus more on the song and deliver the intensity that he is capable of bringing.

6. EVPandHC says:

The fact that you gave Olivia a B for a really pitchy performance just baffles me.

7. Puzzled says:

Jaqui is soooooo much better than Danielle Bradberry at 16. Jaqui has so much heart, soul, and power it is unreal!!! I hope she can keep it up!!!!

• Tom22 says:

boo … I didn’t even watch the end of last season due to the voting snafu but ? whats the point in that? I’m good with “My favorite ever” or “best at what I like” or even, if they sung the same songs “I think x did it more justice than y” (although without explanation that slips too. What good is saying She’s good and they Suck ? …. I don’t get it. It just draws negative lines and try’s to make people choose instead of rooting them on.
      I hope Dannielle fans don’t get sucked into that… or maybe its a trick to try to make this year’s young contestant a controversal figure (i.e. if you like her you’re not helping her with this kind of comment)

8. twnkltoze says:

I couldn’t disagree with you more Slezak regarding Jacquie and Matthew. While Jacquie at least had some “moments”, it was more of a yell fest than an application of singing prowess. Overall I was really disappointed in Ceelo and Christina’s teams and think Adam and Blake’s team are the frontrunners overall. They have a better feel for picking songs for their contestants too. My favorite performance of the show was the opening with A Brand New World and Christina showing great respect and restraint and the song was torturously beautiful. I also noticed that the “critique” was turned up a notch on Tuesday but it’s clear none of the judges are comfortable doing that. I’m rooting for Team Blake and Adam at this point in the game.

• GeorgeTheOnion says:

Could you please elaborate on the apparent “yell-fest” that was Jacquie and Matthew’s performances? I don’t understand your criticism of them. I really don’t think using the term “yell” is a valid critique of a performance, unless they are actually yelling. Christina’s song choices weren’t half as bad as everyone else’s. Wrecking Ball obviously isn’t a great song choice, but Matthew did pull it off well. Everyone else’s songs on her team were good. The only flaws in any of the performances were the arrangement and the occassional missed note. I really can’t see your problem with Matthew’s and Jacquie’s performances as they were almost perfect.

9. David says:

Obviously, iTunes isn’t the only voting mechanism, but it’s a somewhat reliable source. Based solely on iTunes charting over the taped rounds and in this week’s live shows, the Top 12 should look like this: TEAM ADAM: James, Tessanne and Preston. TEAM XTINA: Jacquie, Matthew and Josh. TEAM CEE LO: Caroline, Jonny and Kat. TEAM BLAKE: Austin, Cole and Ray.

• davey says:

Not sure where you are getting your information but Will Champlin’s Secrets sold much than Preston’s song on iTunes. And last week Will’s song did well on iTunes as well. I get it that Adam favors Preston but I think Will is showing more improvement. I hope he goes through. Also Josh’s single did not make waves so I think it’s between Josh and Stephanie staying on for next week.

• David says:

Over the course of the show since the blind auditions, Preston has remained on the iTunes chart for much longer than Will, even though Will outcharted Preston this week. It’ll probably come down to Adam’s decision to keep Will or Preston. Similarly, Blake may have a tough choice on deciding whether to keep the three guys and/or include Shelbie Z, and XTine may have the Josh or Stephanie Anne decision to make. And, honestly, Team Cee Lo’s top three could include Caroline and just about any of the others.

• Mary says:

I tunes only start this week, so previous weeks are null and void. It is hard to say who Adam will pick or any of the judges, all of them have been known to pick poorly.

• David says:

This discussion isn’t about votes. It’s about fan popularity on iTunes — which begins building as soon as the blind auditions start and contestant recordings are available for purchase. Of course iTunes downloads don’t count as votes until the live rounds. Duh. But, downloads to count as a gauge of popularity from the blind auditions forward.

• Mary says:

@David, that is not always an accurate indication. Not everyone purchases the song. If I am remembering correctly there was a contestant last year the didn’t chart high but was safe, beside the judges get the last pick and I remember not all of them pick the popular one.

• Tom22 says:

you’ve got to figure that James is going to get a least a few thousand extra purchases having worked for apple(itunes company) I’m not crying conspiracy… or claiming people don’t genuinely like him.. just, as it goes, people do like to root for “home town” stuff and you’ve got to admit that apple employees are more inclined to buy from itunes than your normal person on the street. They might even get an employee discount on purchases. Luck blows lots of ways and I don’t think this is any huge advantage overall. .just a little wind at his back on the itunes sale category.

10. Adam says:

Matthew Schuler makes me like that song. There’s something about his performance that reminds me of Amanda Brown’s power ballad version of Someone Like You back on season 3. Major kudos to Christina for having Jacquie Lee perform a classic! I’ve said this a week ago that she should sing more classics and she did, fiercely, if I may add. Stephanie and Caroline also won the night. Looove Caroline for singing that song because it really makes me contemplate how badly I wish life could be as easy as the narrative on that White Stripes song. The experience was catartic. Stephanie, like Jacquie, also has a firm grasp on classic. But next time, I’d like Christina to challenge her even more. She said she wanted to do indie/alt soul, so it wouldn’t hurt if she performs a song by Janelle Monae, Laura Mvula, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Neneh Cherry, or Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings.
    Speaking of which, I feel like suggesting songs for my favorite contestants now, but I think I’ll wait for the result and write them down on the next Slezak post.

11. FoundKreedom says:

To answer you question on whether stompa is a popular song. It is HUGE in Canada !

• Terry says:

yes, Serena Ryder has been doing her thang in Canada for many many years, check out some of her other songs, she’s great! “Weak In The Knees” is probably my fave of hers.

12. Leela says:

Hmmm…Matthew & Jacquie were my least favorite of the “good” performances.

13. RD says:

To me Cee-Lo just doesn’t know how to pick appropriate songs for his team. I don’t know,maybe he doesn’t think hard enough about it. I’ve always felt this,right from the very first season. I was dreading he and Xtina’s return this season but Xtina has really turned it around. Perhaps she was concerned that Shakira was getting far more positive feedback but for whatever reason she is actually this season’s most constructive coach,and has the strongest team as a result. And her opening duet was gorgeous and understated. Who knew?

• McMuffin says:

Xtina is doing everything right. From her more classy non cleavage exposing outfits to her vibe. The producers of the Voice probably gave Blake the memo to not go the country team route and if you notice, Blake is not getting the camera focus time like in the past seasons. The Voice higher ups know if Blake should win this season…. there’s no way that it’s going to happen. It seems like the focus of this season is all Xtina. It’s all good with me :)

14. MariMari says:

I am begging to differ with the majority of comments here about Jacquie’s performance last night. Powerhouse – yes, but it was SO sharp to my ears it wasn’t pleasant to listen to, at all. I am not a fan of shrieking. It was shriek-y to me. I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt and reassess next week.

15. Ginger Snap says:

At this stage, it’s not really about who is the best and letter grades are useless. It’s about who should go home.

Based on tonight’s performances the people who should leave are: Amber, Olivia, Kat, and Josh. But Johnny and Tamara weren’t impressive and were close to being included on this list.

My favorite performance was Stephanie, followed by Jacquie. Because Stephanie had a lot more character in her delivery.

Add Nick, Grey, Preston (what a sing-song delivery!), and Cole to that list and you have

[b]Your top 12:[/b]

Tessanne
    Jacquie
    Caroline
    Stephanie
    Matthew
    James
    Will
    Ray
    Shelbie Z
    Cole
    Tamara
    Johnny

16. The Guest says:

Caroline may be CeeLo’s last artist standing, but so far on The Voice singers like her have always started out strong but eventually voters lose interest in later rounds because they sound the same no matter what they sing. But it’s possible she could make it to the final show.

• davey says:

Caroline is similar to Dia Frampton who was the runner up the first season.

• HTGR says:

Often true, well unless they sing country. Could any winners ever have sounded more the same each week than Tate (on XF) and most of all Scotty (on AI), I mean I’m not sure if anyone could actually distinguish between ANY songs he sang over the entire season, and a good part of Team Blake was often, if not quite always, pretty same same last season. I think Caroline has some more chops than Melanie for sure by miles and more than Dia et all too though.

17. WWP says:

Matthew Schuler just wiped the floor with Miley Cyrus. Cyrus’ version is an overly- autotuned, overwrought, and manufactured performance by an established (but completely lacking in anything even remotely resembling artistry) singer. Schuler actually managed to make it sound fresh, pleasing and real. Good Job.

18. Temperance says:

Hmmmm. I actually LOVED Kat Robichaud this week, and I didn’t like Wrecking Ball at all (the song itself is bad, and Matthew Schuler is way, way overrated on this show (I’m not confident that he’ll ever have a hit on his own.) Pennell just blows be away every week for some reason (she shouldn’t be she does, mostly because she makes my ears, my brain, and y heart happy with her simple quirky *genius* vocals). Jacquie just *murdered* her song (in the very best way) – I mean that was seriously great. Not totally out of the blue, but the girl’s exploding under Christina’s tutledge. Awesome. I’m a fan of Stephanie Anne, too; her Georgia arrangement had some problems, but she can sing anything, and she’s so very *interesting* to listen to, she always leaves me wanting her back next wee to see what she does.

• kavyn says:

Totally on the same page as you! I thought Kat did a great job despite a bad song choice. Matthew’s okay but he doesn’t really do anything different between songs – he just belts through them and it sounds good, but there’s no range and he doesn’t pronounce the words that well (but I remember Amanda Brown getting the same critique about pronunciation and I absolutely loved her).

19. David says:

Jacquie is a reincarnated (Though still living) Kelly Clarkson.
    She has the same general personality when Kelly first starred in American Idol and she has that baby faced adorable Kelly look.

Range wise Jacquie showed range and power equal to Kelly at the same stage in their careers. If continuing to grow as Kelly did at her stage, Jacquie will become the top female singer within a year or two.

I predict Jacquie gets a contract which will enable us to hear her singing for many years to come, whether she wins or not, she is truly AMAZING!!!

20. Sea says:

I think the performances from Team Adam and Blake were for the most part much better than most of the ones from Christine and Ceelo. A lot of poor song choices tonight, not the singers fault necessarily. Jacquie and Matthew were outstanding but outside of that not much impressed me tonight. Correct me if I am worng, but do 2 people from each team go home this week? If so, it is a shame that it is not a loss of 8 people overall, not 2 per team. Seems unfair that somone from Adam or Blake’s team whose peformance was better than someone from Christina or Ceelo’s team will have to go home. If they are looking for the best Voice, they should consider changing that rule.

• The Guest says:

The first two seasons all voting and elimination was team-based and every coach made it to the final show. Since they switched the format, only the first round of live voting is team-based then every round afterward is lowest two vote-getters period.

21. Richard says:

I am one down the middle compared to most of you, Part 2 performances were eh till the last 2. Jacquie’s performance blew me away, I don’t care if she’s only 16.and Matthews version of wrecking ball was great as well. I really dislike Caroline’s voice,, most love it for some reason but you really don’t see that style succeeding in the market. Josh got screwed with the song choice. I am also puzzled why most of you think artists need to be pushed to their limits vocally or the need to mix it up genre wise. The best singers on the planet have never “mixed it up”. would you really wanna hear Usher or Michael Jackson sing country? Or Brett Michaels sing R&B? Makes no sense. I really wish they would artists stick to the genres where they will succeed.

• Scarlett says:

I agree with you for the most part when it comes to genre challenges. David Cook (Idol) is the only singing show contestant that I’ve ever seen who was able to switch it up so successfully. He even pulled off Dolly Parton and Andrew Lloyd Webber. But most contestants generally flounder. I’d like to see them be allowed to sing more along the lines of who they want to become as a singer.

• HTGR says:

Haley switched things up pretty well. She even did country better than the country singers twice. From pop to disco to Adele-type pop, to rock of sorts, to jazz, to country, etc. Elise seemed to handle various things pretty well too. I think there are more too than just those two plus David.

22. A says:

Caroline, Jacquie, and Matthew- should be top 3 at the end.

23. HTGR says:

If anyone watches XF, note that they gave the wrong number for Rachel Potter, first Simon bashes his only country competition and then they show Alex & Sierra’s (also one of Simon’s groups) phone number when they are supposedly showing the number to call for Rachel! (they will get away with it because they had Mario, at the end, quickly read: please verify all phone numbers online). I know this is the wrong forum, but this site doesn’t put places to comment until hours after the show ends. They should really put up place holders in the meantime.

• HTGR says:

Oh and I see that they also showed the wrong number for Khaya too, and also gave Simon’s team’s number again too hah.
      Man that is super sloppy at best (maybe the budget is low) and dirty at worst.

• HTGR says:

More good conspiracy fun: they don’t tell you who you voted for tonight either if you call so you won’t realize if you got the wrong number.

24. GeeBee says:

I feel so sorry for CeeLo”s contestants . . . His song choices for them are awful! What are they supposed to do with such go-nowhere songs. Even Caroline had very little opportunity to be creative and showcase that awesome voice of hers!

25. Kavyn says:

I really don’t think I’m watching the same show as some of you. Kat and Olivia’s scores should be switched. I also don’t understand why there’s so much bitterness towards Kat for the lyric change, considering that’s likely not her fault.

26. Marmaduke Jones says:

It’s “prescient.”

27. website says:

Select a theme for your party and work it into all of
    your preparations to create a unified feeel to the entire home spa experience.
    In this write-up, yoou will soon discover how to uncover and acquire
    the best, that will give you the sensual enjoymennt aspect, each time.
    Medications such as allergy pills and cold medications contain mild stimulants which can cause jittery
    legs.

28. John Anthony says:

Kat is the one real entertainer amidst this bunch of singers that will disappear quickly from the scene, win or not! Let me repeat. Most of these contestants have already been tested out in the music world and they said no!!!! Jackie is your every day , hear a thousand times, girl who thinks she has something great but falls short by a mile. Caroline is boring at best and belongs in a high school talent show. That wraps up this seasons talent. On to the Spring show and I hope the staff can find some real talent this time. They ought to give auditions in high schools and some small town theaters through the south and mid-eastern states. Send out a call to Brandie Love who wasn’t given a chance on the other show!!!!! Go get her Blake!

John Anthony

29. John Anthony says:

Good evening Kaba. I respect your opinion as well. Actually, I thought the Spring show was loaded with talent. Judith, Holly, Danielle and several others. You have to be honest and none of the final twelve will ever be a national success. Do you really think singers like Will, Tessanne, Johnny Gray, Ray, and Cole haven’t been heard by producers? It’s their job to find talent before anyone else and sign them. Be assured they have heard these bunch of seasoned singers and passed. Jackie and Caroline are finds but I just can’t see either selling the number of records it takes to make it.Thus my opinion. Who do you think is the future star in this final twelve?

• HTGR says:

It’s not easy you make it sound. The industry and life are not like that, you don’t necessarily just have that success and get launched like that.

• Winkles says:

Why is this always the case?
      Each year, no matter how impressive the talent is, there’s always someone saying that not a single person will bloom into fame. It’s not a matter of what you see when simply you watch tv. The results come from a national scale. AND considering this is only the 2nd week of live rounds they have more than plenty of time to actually build a stellar fanbase. I’m starting to just wonder if people simply can’t imagine a breakout star coming from the voice. Plenty of the people on the show are suitable candidates for musical success.

30. John Anthony says:

I like your comments on these shows HTGR and you are right. The business is brutal but true talent will rise to the top. Matt Cardle, Aliki, Jackie Evanco, Sara Evens, and Danielle last year. No one close to these in this season’s group. By the way, you are right about Potter on the X-Factor. I think Simon recognizes her as his main competition. Don’t know if the show would go that far to make Simon the winner this year? Does look suspicious I must admit. I think Kat went a little to far last night but there are people out there who like the entertainment part of singing more than The Voice. By the way, do you think the contestants are trying to out scream one another at times instead of out singing them? Jackie?