Sleepy Hollow Exclusive: Ichabod's Clothes Are Finally Coming Off — But There's a Twist!

Sleepy Hollow Season 1Sleepy Hollow is taking Ichabod Crane to the cleaners — literally.

Executive producer Alex Kurtzman tells TVLine exclusively that the character will shed his trademark — and likely odorous — period garb before the end of the season (albeit temporarily).

RELATED | 2014 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What Will Be Renewed? What’s on the Bubble?

“Ichabod’s clothes are his security blanket, his tie to the past,” Kurtzman says. “That being said, he will soon discover the joys of dry cleaning and the grave injustice of the bill that accompanies it.”

This will mark the first major scrubbing Ichabod’s duds have received since he was transported 200 years into the future (in Episode 2, he gave them a very light washing).

It’s not clear what Tom Mison’s Bloomingdales-averse alter ego will wear while his duds are being professionally treated, so feel free to let your imaginations run wild in the comments (my guess: tighty whities). And while you’re down there, tackle this divisive question: Do you think Ich should at some point update his wardrobe? Or are you of the opinion that the (circa-1700) clothes make the man?

1. CHA says:

Here’s a better question, how is Ichy paying for said cleaning? Is Abby giving him an allowance? Is the department paying for his consulting? The man has o have some walking around cash!

2. Mikael says:

First: I WANT his coat. Second: I could see him wearing modern clothes every now and then while his clothes get cleaned, so we get both old and new. I’m hoping he buys modern underwear because I imagine they’re more comfortable :)

3. While I do not think the clothes make the man persay I do think they help lend to the character. His manner and everything about him just seems to speak of the era and the clothing just makes him more..”real” to me. And they are his security blanket so just let him keep them.

Like others have said he could easily visit a living history area and purchase some garments there (and complain about the injustice of the prices lol) or visit a tailor or seamstress who specialize in creating his era’s clothing. Give him some variety while keeping his blanket of security.

plus I don’t care who ya are but there is nothing like knee breeches and well fitting boots on a man :)

4. Oh, sweet Lawdy! Leave Ich’s clothes as they are. (Dryclean as needed). It would be like trying to update the Wonder Woman costume! The character would be less recognizable. Just leave it alone before you ruin it!

5. Defacebook says:

He ought to be able to find some funky retro-modern militaristic threads to wear without losing his “look”.

6. T. Holt says:

Leave him in his period clothes, I agree a reenactment resource would extend his wardrobe and still keep him in his comfort zone. Could even introduce a plot line with amusement at the reenactment angle too.

7. Linda Melnik says:

Definately keep the coat and boots and the beard!!

8. Tara says:

He must absolutely keep the boots!!!!!! I LOVE the boots!! :) And everything else, too. I love the period clothing. I don’t want him in jeans. We see that all day every day. I like Ichabod looking as unique as he is. :)

9. Jo B. says:

I’m good with keeping them in the fashion of the 1700s but he needs more clothes!!! After all what happena when it becomes summer? Still in that coat? The heat and humidity in New York can get pretty oppresive. Keep the fashion in his era if need be. But he needs new clothes.

10. heather says:

Keep the clothes!!!

11. TallGirl says:

“Professor” Crane should definitely keep the coat and boots. And the hair.
    They could also have him wear modern coats that are like his (now vintage) military jacket.
    His style should always remind us that he is a man out of his own time. There should always be something more “formal” about him.

12. KD says:

He needs to wear those type clothes, in part because he is very slender. When he wears modern clothes, it shows this. The jacket fills out his upper body to great advantage. He’d have a hard time finding clothes that fit because he is a lot taller than the average 18th century man. Love the beard and hair and boots. I think the Elementary writers figured out he apparently isn’t wearing hose or stockings (lol-see the twitter battle they had). Hope the show stays on a long time. He’s very good looking.

13. Mary says:

How about contacting a theatre or movie studio or a company that does clothes for the theatres and studios? Abbie and Crane can get his clothes from there! Love the period clothes! Don’t take them away!

14. Mike says:

Thank goodness! All I could ask myself the last few episodes is when r u going change those threads that got pulled through all that mud when you awoke in your grave!

15. Clothes should always come off.

16. Jen says:

I think his clothes are perfect the way they are. If his clothes were updated it would take away from who he is. Keep the clothes and the hair. He looks fantastic the way he is. You can not improve perfection ;-) ♡♡

17. Mary says:

I see him in an updated version of what he wears now: jeans (Skinny but not too skinny, or just slim fit) button down shirts in grey, slate-blue/grey colors, new boots, and keep the coat, just get it clean! He will need a warmer coat for winter (it can get cold in Westchester Co, NY!) like maybe a black wool one to the knee. Crane still needs that historical flair. They will never cut the hair.

18. Ichabod should NOT be put in modern clothes!! Ever! Send him to the drycleaners, okay, get someone to recreate his clothes so he has new ones, but in no way should he be permanently in modern clothes!!

19. Teresa says:

He’s gorgeous just the way he is. Gotta keep the jacket, boots hair and beard.

20. southrnbelle says:

Loose fitting pleated, wool pants and loose fitting silk or cotton shirts.

21. Whatsinameme says:

No, no, no to modern clothes! We can see guys in modern clothes on every other show. One of the joys of watching SH is seeing a guy from the revolutionary war wandering around modern times. Why does anyone want to change that? And, obviously, he is insanely hot in those clothes. Again, why does anyone want to change that?! I am baffled! It is like Dr. Who. Their outfits are iconic and no one wonders how they wash them.

22. Dan says:

I feel he should keep his wardrobe. It helps keep the connection to his past, both for him and the audience. Plus they are cool. I want that coat. Lol